• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

ShinNL

I prefer building to yellow and keep it at that so I can choose to spirit combo or not, instead of sacrificing the DPS of my teammates for my own marginal power increase and maybe even risking the quest's mission by hitting them over and over again with spirit combos and putting them in dangerous positions. Hey, but that's just me.

Soneet said:
I prefer building to yellow and keep it at that so I can choose to spirit combo or not, instead of sacrificing the DPS of my teammates for my own marginal power increase and maybe even risking the quest's mission by hitting them over and over again with spirit combos and putting them in dangerous positions. Hey, but that's just me.
There's probably not much getting around the fact that to get the most out of that weapon you'll need to learn the range of the attacks in a spirit combo so that you know when you will and won't hit your teammates.

Telling a LS user to stay at yellow is a little like telling lancers never to charge and hammer users never to use superpound. If a LS user can get to red and stay there without unduly disrupting the team, then it's probably good for the team since red level LS probably has the highest DPS in the game. That said, spirit combo attacks have insane amounts of range and it's a lot of work to maintain red when there are 3 other people you're trying not to hit.

On the other hand, if you see 3 people bringing a LS, you should either bring a gun or bring a LS.

ShinNL

Lance Bone Path said:
Telling a LS user to stay at yellow is a little like telling lancers never to charge and hammer users never to use superpound. If a LS user can get to red and stay there without unduly disrupting the team, then it's probably good for the team since red level LS probably has the highest DPS in the game. That said, spirit combo attacks have insane amounts of range and it's a lot of work to maintain red when there are 3 other people you're trying not to hit.
Bet you don't lance much.

So my level 40 urgent pops up and I take it with a rag tag crew. The first two schlubs make a gentlemens agreement to quit after one of us dies one time, so the other guy and I are left alone with the two of them.We chase them off the cliff into the opening below, and then my partner stalls, before getting booted off the net, so I remain. I fight like hell and somehow manage to capture the Rathian, fainting once in the process. Rathalos and I go back and forth for about twenty minutes (I chop of his tail somewhere in there), then he flies off into the grove. I find him and stun him, then he gets up ad starts to fly off (so i think) before he hits me with his poison lunge from across the screen. I get up dizzy, frantically trying to shake it off as he takes aim and flies square into me, finishing me off for good.

I'm so disappointed I almost don't want to get to 40 now. I was SO close.

Boney

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
So my level 40 urgent pops up and I take it with a rag tag crew. The first two schlubs make a gentlemen's agreement to quit after one of us dies one time, so the other guy and I are left alone with the two of them.We chase them off the cliff into the opening below, and then my partner stalls, before getting booted off the net, so I remain. I fight like hell and somehow manage to capture he Rathian, fainting once in the process. Rathalos and I go back and forth for about twenty minutes (I chop of his tail somewhere in there), then he flies off into the grove. I find him and stun him, then he gets up ad starts to fly off (so i think) before he hits me with his poison lunge from across the screen. I get up dizzy, frantically trying to shake it off as he takes aim and flies square into me, finishing me off for good.

I'm so disappointed I almost don't want to get to 40 now. I was SO close.
Man those 2 sound like real team players.

Great job on almost killing them though. You from Europe?

tomegatherion77

Neo Member
Lance Bone Path said:

On the other hand, if you see 3 people bringing a LS, you should either bring a gun or bring a LS.

I think everyone should have to understand that getting knocked over or launched in the air by a team mate once in a while is just part of the game. Ive been playing monster hunter since the 1st one, and every one since, and its always happened to me, and I'm guilty of it as well, and it will continue to happen. Of course we want to minimize this as much as we can, but the point is if it happened 2 or 3 times, it really shouldn't be something to get worked up about. I don't think any particular weapon is more guilty than the other. I was on MHF last night, and got launched like 5 times in a row, and about 3 of times, it actually saved my ass, so its not always a bad thing...but I have had the opposite happen, and its set me up to take a big hit. The point of the game is to have fun, team up and kill big ass cool looking monsters, just do the best you can, and dont be so serious or you wont have as much fun as you should.

Zalasta

I think I'm going to retire from MH soon, the loot grind is just ridiculous, quite possibly the worst system I've ever experienced. This is coming from someone who played the FFXI endgame as well as raided heavily in WoW for 2+ years each.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Thanks, but my daughter is fussing and the missu s is tired. Perhaps tomorrow.
I'm not sure if I'll play tonight, but I'll be happy to help out in the very likely scenario that Boney's intarwebs craps out (suck to be Boney! :lol )

Soneet said:
I know you are extremely anti-teamhit but I keep running into this situation:

Say you have a group of 3 heavy weapon users like a GS, LS, and SA. Users with uninterruptable attack animations. They can attack all out without regard for hitting each other. Nobody has waste time running around to find an open spot to attack, nobody has to prematurely end combos or limit their move set.

Now say a S&S user joins their quest. Is it fair to those 3 players to now have to stop attacking to their full potential to avoid tripping the S&S user? Does it help the team if they all reduce their DPS to prevent reducing the DPS of one person?

ShinNL

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

Say you have a group of 3 heavy weapon users like a GS, LS, and SA. Users with uninterruptable attack animations. They can attack all out without regard for hitting each other. Nobody has waste time running around to find an open spot to attack, nobody has to prematurely end combos or limit their move set.

Now say a S&S user joins their quest. Is it fair to those 3 players to now have to stop attacking to their full potential to avoid tripping the S&S user? Does it help the team if they all reduce their DPS to prevent reducing the DPS of one person?
Why do I have to end up in this extreme spectrum if I say I don't like hitting teammates with my LS?

Why is the European event list empty?

Why do I prefer people knowing where they're aiming at than those who "attack all out without regard"? You know, like aim for the tail, the head, the wings. Actually targeting stuff.

Poyunch

Busy day today. Went to the DMV and the dentist. Hope people are still on! Or if not I'll be online if anyone wants to put up with me. :D

edit: Full room. :/ More mining today it seems. And I really wanna do some Jhen today. :p

kinggroin

Banned
I'm having an absolute blast leveling my Rathalos armor. I've got most pieces at 70 defense points. Just need to mine for some Hard and Heavy spheres.

Anyone know how high this armor can upgrade? Once I'm done with this, I'm going to mine for the last bit of minerals to get my Iron Impact.

Then, and only then, will I attempt to defeat the mighty Joe.

Nicktals

Banned
ugh. sorry everyone. I don't know what the deal is. Never had any problems until i moved out here...now it's just awful. Maybe I'll try getting the LAN adapter tomorrow.

Poyunch

Sorry guys. I had to leave pretty soon and there were too many interruptions. I didn't think we could have completed the quests in time. :( I feel bad for ditching you guys now. :\

I should be back in an hour or two.

Nicktals

Banned
Alien Manobo said:
Stop Acing me then I'll probably stop Znarfing you, deal?

S-rank on peco/barroth with Jason(Chopper Dave) 8:28 :p

We'll get you next time, Ian!

Me and Ace got S rank on it too. First time trying. One handed.

EDIT: oh, and i'm on...i'll stay in the gaf server for 15 minutes or so...so if you're up for quests or arena, hop on!

Chosen3

Great, just great. I tried to make a new character for my friend and accidentally overwrote my character. 200+ hours down the drain.

Luigiv

Chosen3 said:
Great, just great. I tried to make a new character for my friend and accidentally overwrote my character. 200+ hours down the drain.
:lol How did that even happen? I didn't think it was even possible to do such a thing, given the way the save system works.

Chosen3

I don't know. I'm just stupid. I think I was hypnotized or something. It was like a bad dream. I still see in my eyes the moment when I choose to overwrite my character. If I were alone the room would be destroyed by now.

apujanata

Chosen3 said:
What was your HR at that time ? I have almost 200 hours character, but only HR 39. I am a slow poke, like to gather things :)

Boney

Banned
Chosen3 said:
:O

Wow man that sucks.

Nicktals said:
Me and Ace got S rank on it too. First time trying. One handed.

EDIT: oh, and i'm on...i'll stay in the gaf server for 15 minutes or so...so if you're up for quests or arena, hop on!
I thought we did A rank the first 2 times and then managed the S.

Nicktals

Banned
Boney said:
:O

Wow man that sucks.

I thought we did A rank the first 2 times and then managed the S.

We did, I was just being dumb.
Also, I'm hopping on in 10 minutes or so...hopefully the connection is a little better today.

ajim

I've been playing single player for awhile, trying to get my skills up, and hoard shit, which is awesome. Fighting some of the bigger bosses has been a fucking challenge and awesome at that.

I finally beat myself a Royal Ludroth and a Barroth tonight. Both are exceptionally bad ass, but I think the Royal Ludroth is a better fight due to his ability to kick ass on land and in the water. Now I can fight a Gobul, but not looking forward to it because its an all underwater monster. ugh.

Hey all, just a heads up, my internet crapped out and I won't have a technician out to fix it for a week, so no Monster Hunting for me online. Catch ya'll later.

Boney

Banned
DragonGirl said:
Hey all, just a heads up, my internet crapped out and I won't have a technician out to fix it for a week, so no Monster Hunting for me online. Catch ya'll later.
A week? That sucks...

Well, we could definately use a 4th one here!

Poyunch

I'm going to be on right now. I've been gone the whole day for orientation but I want to play some Monster Hunter tri, damn it! If no one's there I'll probably just be mining until I'm bored as usual. :D

Oh and if anyone needs some Conqueror's Seals I too need some.

DragonGirl said:
Aww that sucks.

Syril

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

That's a trick question. The S&S user would open with a jump slash and be immune to friendly attacks during his combos.

Sorry I ended up bailing on the GAF server. I think someone had a bad connection and I decided to try going for Hunter King coins elsewhere to test whether or not my connection was the problem.

I didn't get d/c ed on any more arena quests, but I wasn't able to play the quest with any arena veterans. I did the quest about 2 or 3 more times, but when a single run takes 15 minutes, it's just not worth it :/. I think my best time on that quest (with Boney) was less than half that.

ajim

Trying to catch the Quropeco and it called a fucking Rathian and it destroyed me way too fucking easily! On top of that, it scared the shit out of me :(

Top Bottom