• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

ShinNL

A reminder for those don't know yet. We have an online community thread (Steam, general IRC and a list of Hunter IDs of GAF members):

GAF Community and Online Match-Up Thread

PRO TIP: Those new to the game should play some offline mode first to learn the controls & objectives etc.

We're almost there Luigiv :p

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Some things I noticed while playing online last night:

- You cannot receive inbox messages while in a quest, and the only way you can talk to someone not in your group during a quest is if they join your lobby and you have lobby chat turned on.

- You cannot send inbox messages to someone who is offline.

- You can search for people by typing in their ID or name. But, when you search for people, you only can search for people that are currently online.

- There is no "Add Friends" option. The only way you can add friends is to send them a friends request inbox message, and that means you can only add your friends that are currently online.

- Only friends who have Wii Speak can hear you through Wii Speak.

- In-game chat-box is extremely slow and awkward to use.

- Chat log is the easiest way of communicating, so I recommend getting a keyboard.

- I noticed zero lag while playing online last night.

- You can back out of an online quest at anytime.

- I believe you could join a lobby with three other friends, and each one could go on a separate quest but still be able to communicate with each other as long as you are on each others friend's list and have Wii Speak and/or a keyboard (unless you want to stop, bring up a text box, and have a monster kill you while you slowly type "hello")

- Wii Speak is a mixed bag. Some people I can hear almost perfectly and can have a coherent conversation with, while others I have no idea what they are saying.

I'll edit in others tidbits as they come to me. Hope that helped answer some of your guy's questions. :D

ShinNL

Skiesofwonder said:
Only friends who have Wii Speak can hear you through Wii Speak.
Just to be sure: so even strangers with Wii Speak can't communicate even though they see an orange speaker icon (or won't they even see that)?

I really expected more openness with Wii Speak. This is a real shame.

Okay, this is ridiculous. I seriously cannot find the place where they want me to mine ore. I looked at a FAQ and I'm standing right where ore is supposed to be, but I don't see anything. Where do I go? What do I do?

This stupid thing has stopped me dead in my tracks. :|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
autobzooty said:
Okay, this is ridiculous. I seriously cannot find the place where they want me to mine ore. I looked at a FAQ and I'm standing right where ore is supposed to be, but I don't see anything. Where do I go? What do I do?

This stupid thing has stopped me dead in my tracks. :|

It took me a few minutes to find it as well.

The Ore is 'off the beaten path', ie.. it not on the small trail you see on the map. It's in another section of the cave that will start appearing on the map as you move into it. Just keep exploring the cave, and keeping pressed against the walls. You'll find yourself exploring 'uncharted' territory soon, and you'll have the Chief chime in about digging when you reach the Ore. You'll notice a pick-axe action symbol as well.

I hope that helps.

forrest

formerly nacire
Anyone know where I can find some tips to using the Great Sword in multiplayer? I'm familiar with the weapon, but want to know what to do and what not to do with it in groups. I'd rather people associate me with knowing how to use the great sword than some idiot knocking everyone around! :D

EvilMario said:
It took me a few minutes to find it as well.

The Ore is 'off the beaten path', ie.. it not on the small trail you see on the map. It's in another section of the cave that will start appearing on the map as you move into it. Just keep exploring the cave, and keeping pressed against the walls. You'll find yourself exploring 'uncharted' territory soon, and you'll have the Chief chime in about digging when you reach the Ore. You'll notice a pick-axe action symbol as well.

I hope that helps.

I just did a whole lap around the cave pressing against the walls and didn't find anything...

I feel like I'm missing something very fundamental here. Or else my game is bugged. :lol

nacire said:
Anyone know where I can find some tips to using the Great Sword in multiplayer? I'm familiar with the weapon, but want to know what to do and what not to do with it in groups. I'd rather people associate me with knowing how to use the great sword than some idiot knocking everyone around! :D
Well there isnt really away, just dont smack the shit out of people :lol

Remfin

Soneet said:
Just to be sure: so even strangers with Wii Speak can't communicate even though they see an orange speaker icon (or won't they even see that)?
I don't know anything about the Wii Speak stuff, but I'm pretty sure the orange speaker icon is indicating you have new chat log messages you haven't seen yet (you were talking to an NPC or something when it arrived so the log wasn't showing).

Nicktals

Banned
autobzooty said:
I just did a whole lap around the cave pressing against the walls and didn't find anything...

I feel like I'm missing something very fundamental here. Or else my game is bugged. :lol

You have a pick axe right?

And you're on one of the very first quests, right? You're looking for a crack in a wall (at least this is where I found it for my first quest...didn't see any large stone structures, that kind of look like a small volcano...but if you see any of those, mine them!). I believe it's an interior wall (kind of like a column). Where you can walk all the way (or at least almost all the way) around it.

This has been my biggest problem with the game too so far. There seem to be like 800 different items, and they send you on a quest for a single one. And sometimes, even if you're doing the right thing, you're not going to get the right item, and then you'll move on. I just don't see the point in that kind of challenge, I suppose.

I don't think anyone is going to spend hours upon hours looking for monster guts on their own. They're going to try the first few things that logically make sense based on the quest and any hints they can see, and then they're going to hop onto GAF or gamefaqs or something.

EDIT: Oh, speaking of which...I'm on a 2 star quest. Where can I get monster guts? I figured they were from the Giggi, or whatever those small, annoying, slug-like creatures were...but I haven't had any luck.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Soneet said:

Yep. You can see that a stranger has Wii Speak, but a red x stays over it until you add them as a friend. And the only way you can find out if someone has Wii Speak or not is by actually joining their lobby and checking. Because before you join a lobby you can see who is in it and what they are doing (In City or Quest) but it doesn't tell you if they have Wii Speak or not. You actually have to join the lobby to check that.

Note: I would say one out of every six people had Wii Speak last night.

Also Soneet I'm not too sure how well your Online thread is going to help. Maybe I'm wrong, but to find someone they have to actually be online. So when I tried to search for everybody in that thread, it acted like none of them even existed because they were all offline. And even if I did find them, I couldn't send them an inbox (which is the only way to friend request someone I believe) because they weren't online at the time.

Real bummer. :(

Remfin said:
I don't know anything about the Wii Speak stuff, but I'm pretty sure the orange speaker icon is indicating you have new chat log messages you haven't seen yet (you were talking to an NPC or something when it arrived so the log wasn't showing).

The orange speaker icon at the top of the screen might do that, but the one next to people's name is to indicate whether or not they have Wii Speak and if you can talk to them or not (indicated by a red x).

Pietepiet

Aaaargh, why are Malachite ores so rare? I want to make some new armor already!

Loving the game so far, can't wait until the servers open up for Europe tomorrow :)

Nicktals said:
You have a pick axe right?

And you're on one of the very first quests, right? You're looking for a crack in a wall (at least this is where I found it for my first quest...didn't see any large stone structures, that kind of look like a small volcano...but if you see any of those, mine them!). I believe it's an interior wall (kind of like a column). Where you can walk all the way (or at least almost all the way) around it.

This has been my biggest problem with the game too so far. There seem to be like 800 different items, and they send you on a quest for a single one. And sometimes, even if you're doing the right thing, you're not going to get the right item, and then you'll move on. I just don't see the point in that kind of challenge, I suppose.

I don't think anyone is going to spend hours upon hours looking for monster guts on their own. They're going to try the first few things that logically make sense based on the quest and any hints they can see, and then they're going to hop onto GAF or gamefaqs or something.

EDIT: Oh, speaking of which...I'm on a 2 star quest. Where can I get monster guts? I figured they were from the Giggi, or whatever those small, annoying, slug-like creatures were...but I haven't had any luck.

I have the pickaxe that the guy gave me specifically for this quest. I should be able to use that one, right?

Also, I'm in area 7. Is that where you got it? There isn't a column here that I can walk even close to all the way around. Maybe I'm in the wrong spot....

butzopower

proud of his butz
Pretty pissed at Gamestop. Made me preorder to get the demo, then didn't even preorder the bundle like I asked. Oh well, I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the nunchuck setup now that I understand it. I played a ton last night and I feel more in control already than after 40 or so hours trying to crab claw on the PSP.

Eteric Rice

PusherT said:
We hammer users need to unite:D rocking Iron or bone class hammer? If you get a chance try to put alot of attention to the Deceration skill points system upgrade your armor inner abilities

I like the SPINSPINSPIN ability.

Still rocking the bone hammer. :D Sucks that we have no defense though. I'll just have to dodge everything. :D

Amneisac

autobzooty said:
I have the pickaxe that the guy gave me specifically for this quest. I should be able to use that one, right?

Also, I'm in area 7. Is that where you got it? There isn't a column here that I can walk even close to all the way around. Maybe I'm in the wrong spot....

It's the cave area, the really skinny vertically oriented one. I think it's like... 4? I don't know, I'm not home now.

Edit: You're looking for the big crack in the wall.

Amneisac

Nicktals said:

You get it from the sea cow things whatever they're called out in the water zones at the top.

Edit: Epioth

Nimyh

Banned
autobzooty said:
It's a dark cave that you have to use a torch in. There are also little worm things that attack you unless you carry the torch.

SYNTAX182

Amneisac said:
It's the cave area, the really skinny vertically oriented one. I think it's like... 4? I don't know, I'm not home now.

Yeah, it's in area 4, you need to find a crack on one of the center columns, it's kind of hard to see, but you just have to look around one and wait until the pickaxe sign pops up for you.

SreyB

autobzooty said:

You have the pickaxe in your quest pouch, right? You can't use it if it's in your item box. When you're in the right a area a pickaxe icon will appear over your character's head.

Brannon

I decided to play with the Great Sword a bit until I got my Lance up to spec, and I did the usual heavy chop, followed by that new *spank* move.

Well that's just stupid; I'm never going to use such a ridiculou- OOOH KELBI!

*CHOP* -miss-

*BICHSLAP!* -three Kelbi faint.

...I love that new move.

SYNTAX182

Soneet said:

Yeah, from what I remember playing last night it was like that. Didn't know you can't send friend requests to players offline, that is kind of clunky.

Nicktals

Banned
autobzooty said:

No...Go to the caves. Area 4, I believe.

EDIT:
Amneisac said:
You get it from the sea cow things whatever they're called out in the water zones at the top.

Edit: Epioth

Okay...But I'm in the desert. So can I get 3 monster guts from the Epioth, then accept the quest which brings me to Sandy Plains, and then just drop them in the delivery box?

Nicktals

Banned
Brannon said:
Maybe, but aren't Monster Guts a special item that immediately get tallied up after mission complete?

Maybe? But I'm pretty sure I've seen Epioth when I'm just wandering around the ocean collecting resources. So maybe I could try it...but that certainly doesn't seem right.

Nicktals

Banned
Mr_Guillotine said:
In the desert kill Delex, they're in the farthest/driest regions. They swim in the sand.

I've killed about 20 of them (and gotten to carve maybe 10), while in the mission. Have yet to get any monster guts. I've completed the subquest (kill 8 Delex) both times, and have yet to get monster guts. But at least I know what to do, thanks.

But this is what I mean about what I was saying...The one thing that bugs me so far about this game. They send you on a hunt for one item of a seemingly hundreds. Give you vague hints, or none at all, and even if you do the right thing, you might not get the right item.

It's not fun after you exhaust the likely/logical options, and are left scratching your head. Everyone will go online, or ask someone who has beaten it for help. What's the point? Why not have something built into the game...especially for earlier missions, while players are still getting a grip on the game.

But anyways, thanks again.

Brannon

Really hate when the Qurepecos (sp?) ups its defense with that exotic dance. I try to stop it but sometimes some random beast will interr..u..pt..

256tfyt.jpg

Is that...

Is that a really plump giraffe?

Nicktals said:
I've killed about 20 of them (and gotten to carve maybe 10), while in the mission. Have yet to get any monster guts. I've completed the subquest (kill 8 Delex) both times, and have yet to get monster guts. But at least I know what to do, thanks.

But this is what I mean about what I was saying...The one thing that bugs me so far about this game. They send you on a hunt for one item of a seemingly hundreds. Give you vague hints, or none at all, and even if you do the right thing, you might not get the right item.

It's not fun after you exhaust the likely/logical options, and are left scratching your head. Everyone will go online, or ask someone who has beaten it for help. What's the point? Why not have something built into the game...especially for earlier missions, while players are still getting a grip on the game.

But anyways, thanks again.

No problem, just keep in mind that if you're confused about a quest that a subquest usually has some relation to it one way or another. It's frustrating at first but one you get the hang of things and have weapons that make it extremely easier to gather resources it won't be so tough on you. I really don't think the series has been friendly to new players at all and it's something it needs to work on of course, at the same time it feels very satisfying when everything works out the way you hoped.

Nicktals

Banned
Mr_Guillotine said:
No problem, just keep in mind that if you're confused about a quest that a subquest usually has some relation to it one way or another. It's frustrating at first but one you get the hang of things and have weapons that make it extremely easier to gather resources it won't be so tough on you. I really don't think the series has been friendly to new players at all and it's something it needs to work on of course, at the same time it feels very satisfying when everything works out the way you hoped.

Yeah, I had figured that out too. Which is why I started with the Delex. But after coming up unlucky many times, I figured it just wasn't the right plan. I guess that goes to show that it's all percentage based, so sometimes you may just have to stick with it longer than you think.

SreyB

In previous versions a greatsword could be forged into a longsword. Is this still the case in Tri or are weapon trees totally separate from one another?

I really, really want a longsword, but it appears as though they aren't available until much later in the game...

jrricky

Banned
So I started using the great sword last night and man....its so slow...but so satisfying when it hit. I like the kick - slap - uppercut (which I realize that it hits in even when it lands behind you :O ) combo. :D

Cant wait to start playing in the next hour.:D

Been playing this like a fiend. BIG props to John TV for this translation. "we must formulate keikaku "keikaku" means plan!" Real top notch stuff friend.

I guess i should get around to playing online at some point hah.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there any way to get some sort of hint as to how you're supposed to go about a mission?

I just had a mission in the second zone
collect 4 crystal bones from the desert zone. I looked through about 5 bone piles, and killed a few of the new creatures, and nothing gave me crystal bones. How are you supposed to know what to do in these, especially seeing how I can't wander around the new desert area on my own outside a quest

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
kafka rock opera said:
Been playing this like a fiend. BIG props to John TV for this translation. "we must formulate keikaku "keikaku" means plan!" Real top notch stuff friend.

I guess i should get around to playing online at some point hah.

Is John TV a member here? If so, yes, great translation. Funny at times and very competent. I actually enjoy reading all the copy in the game.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Monster guts are in those big Nessie looking things in the ocean. Just makes sure you harvest them in the area where Lagiacrus IS NOT. The guild lady will always talk to you when you are in the right area for a fetch quest or hunt giving you tips on what to expect.

FlyinJ said:
Is there any way to get some sort of hint as to how you're supposed to go about a mission?

I just had a mission in the second zone
collect 4 crystal bones from the desert zone. I looked through about 5 bone piles, and killed a few of the new creatures, and nothing gave me crystal bones. How are you supposed to know what to do in these, especially seeing how I can't wander around the new desert area on my own outside a quest

The Blue box gave you pick axe tool and the subquest says kill 4 Giggi I think, right? Go mine them in the cave where those specific monsters are.

jrricky

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Is John TV a member here? If so, yes, great translation. Funny at times and very competent. I actually enjoy reading all the copy in the game.
Huh? john tv is actually a mod here! haha...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
As for the mining iron ore quest you go to the underground cave area with a torch. You will drop down two ledges to the main floor and you will hear cats meowing. They are in a small hole in the wall to your right. To your left however there is a pathway you can take that goes down one more flight into the cave. In this area there is a pillar in the middle of the floor and NOT on the outer walls that has a single ore deposit on it. I recommend turning your brightness all the way up when you do this mission as it took me 10 minutes to find the ore deposit the first time.

Hiltz

Almost finished with the level 1 quests in the single player mode. Recently completed the level 1 monster guts and slaying 3 sharqs quests.

I tried out the an upgraded bone hammer but as strong as it is, its too slugglish so I'm sticking with the bone kris sword and shield for now.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Killed my 2nd Great Jaggi, only taking two hits from it! Wooo! Jaggi armor set only needs helm and chest now. Damn, this game is fun.

To those using wii speak, unless you are across the room, speak naturally and slightly slower than normal otherwise it comes out even more garbled on my end. Its hard to mentally get use to it, but it should make things clearer.

butzopower

proud of his butz
I am really digging the
way the ecosystems work now. I notice the bugs on the island were eating resources and that they drop ripened mushrooms when they eat blue ones, and I could exploit this by getting rid of the Ivy and Honey

Top Bottom