• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Nicktals

Banned
DragonGirl said:
Curses. I was hoping to head online but a lightning storm has rolled into town so I need to shut down here. Before I do I just wanted to post a quick note. Tomorrow (Wednesday the 21st) my mom will be coming over to hang out (selling house, realters, can't be home when prospective buyers walk through, yadda yadda). Anyway, I was going to hop online and show her Monster Hunter so keep an eye out for Khory and say hi to me mum.

That sucks.

Hope to see you on tomorrow!

JRPereira

Took me the entire time from the game's release up until a couple of days ago to realize that capturing monsters in moga woods yields MASSIVE reward boosts (never occurred to me that it used the same rules as regular quest captures). Been plugging away with couple of minute royal ludroth captures and rathians in hardly 10 (seems like less).

I only started paying attention to the fishing fleet's area comments recently as well, and it's amazing how much extra stuff you get from that by sending the ships to the areas they suggest.

Finally came back around to using barrel bombs, traps, and flash bombs in ridiculous quantities again, with great results (particularly cause I'm rolling in money from moga woods and can afford to spam out my spending). I managed to happen upon a jewel that gives me instant capture guru, so I've been bringing a full set of gear, books, and mats to make what I need, along with the proper weapon and equipment and I'm tearing through stuff fast enough to make the grinding tolerable again.

I know a lot of this stuff is really basic for monster hunter, but I had gotten so used to taking a grinding brute force approach to everything that it's refreshing to take a step back and start taking the easy (planned, basically) approach to things and mop up.

At one point just a few days ago before making the change, I had fought a lagi in moga woods to red sharpness repeatedly due to using a crap LS that I hadn't upgraded (anata boneblade - I was hoping for the para to kick in but it never seems to hit). Probably took 90 minutes of going back and forth with it healing up after kicking my ass (I had brought maybe a few potions and was having horrible luck with scrounging up herbs, and was getting juggle-killed after bouncing anyways). Just before giving up I decided to unload on it with the stones I had harvested, killing it with just a couple remaining.

It's too bad (or too good depending on how you look at it) Moga Shallows is the only fishing spot that yields remotely valuable goods. Sleepyfish/Scatterfish GO

That last Alt fight was amazing.

Down to the wire, 2 deaths, 3 minutes and counting, and the freak won't come down out of the air.

Great times guys. I didn't get any Skypiercers that round but it was such a rush I don't really care.

So a sandstorm pops up and I'm doing high Jhen with Jason and a couple randoms. On the first run, we've gone down to the under 5 minutes mark. I'm hacking cheerfully away at its wounded leg when everybody but me "exits the game". Then I fall over. I was actually the only person punted offline, stupid "communication error".

But wait, it gets worse.

We do a second Jhen run. I typically take the front Dragonator. Jhen's out front and I'm waiting for it to pop its head up for a good dragonating when "everybody exits game". NOOOO!

I actually rush to try and type a warning so maybe somebody else can scramble up front but I fall over before I get the warning off.

WORST TIMING EVER!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So after hemming and hawing over this franchise for the past few years, I finally decided to jump in. Walked out of a local game store today with Tri and Unite in my hands, and I have the rest of the (localized) games on order.

Yay? Might just be a MH type of weekend!

ShinNL

DragonGirl said:
So a sandstorm pops up and I'm doing high Jhen with Jason and a couple randoms. On the first run, we've gone down to the under 5 minutes mark. I'm hacking cheerfully away at its wounded leg when everybody but me "exits the game". Then I fall over. I was actually the only person punted offline, stupid "communication error".

But wait, it gets worse.

We do a second Jhen run. I typically take the front Dragonator. Jhen's out front and I'm waiting for it to pop its head up for a good dragonating when "everybody exits game". NOOOO!

I actually rush to try and type a warning so maybe somebody else can scramble up front but I fall over before I get the warning off.

WORST TIMING EVER!
A little tip: that happens because you probably posted the quest, right? Since Jhen and Alatreon don't have extra areas, you can't enter/exit an area. This essentially means you will be the "host" for the entire run, providing data for everyone. You download data from 3, you upload data to 3, which is 3 times more taxing than just being a "client". The host never lags, just drops when her/his connection can't handle it. To prevent this: don't host the quest when it comes to single area quests, since it will automatically make the one who posts the quest to be the host during the quest. With normal quests you don't have to worry about this since everyone starts in different places. For normal quests you just have to make sure you never enter the area with the monster first. If you have, just re-enter the area when there's a teammate around to make him/her the host.

Fun note: if you were the person who created the city (or the "oldest member" of the city) and you dropped like that, everyone in the city will disconnect as well, even during quests.

Mejilan said:
So after hemming and hawing over this franchise for the past few years, I finally decided to jump in. Walked out of a local game store today with Tri and Unite in my hands, and I have the rest of the (localized) games on order.

Welcome, to Monster Hunter!

Boney

Banned
Mejilan said:

Definately yay.

Mejilan

Too tired to continue, but I started screwing around with Tri's character create mode, explored the village, and went around killing some lizard thingies and harvesting herbs and mushrooms around Moga. Those starting areas are sooooo pretty at night! :eek: Pretty sure I saw meteor showers and shit in the night sky! Definitely digging the smaller sword + shield over that hulking beast you can also equip.

Might take MHFU to bed now. :)

Soneet said:
A little tip: that happens because you probably posted the quest, right? Since Jhen and Alatreon don't have extra areas, you can't enter/exit an area. This essentially means you will be the "host" for the entire run, providing data for everyone. You download data from 3, you upload data to 3, which is 3 times more taxing than just being a "client". The host never lags, just drops when her/his connection can't handle it. To prevent this: don't host the quest when it comes to single area quests, since it will automatically make the one who posts the quest to be the host during the quest. With normal quests you don't have to worry about this since everyone starts in different places. For normal quests you just have to make sure you never enter the area with the monster first. If you have, just re-enter the area when there's a teammate around to make him/her the host.

Fun note: if you were the person who created the city (or the "oldest member" of the city) and you dropped like that, everyone in the city will disconnect as well, even during quests.

Welcome, to Monster Hunter!

Interesting, but apparently not the problem as I didn't host any quests.

Mejilan

Well damn.
I only played about an hour of the Wii game because I was too tired and wanted to go to bed.
Wound up playing MHFU in bed on my PSP for about 5 hours. Haha.

Poyunch

I guess I might not finish my Switch Axe. I'm sort of burned out on Monster Hunting. Damn you Skypiercers. Even when you have higher drops you choose to taunt me.
udivision said:
Quick Question: My Switch axe has a "Dragon Phial." Does that mean when I use blade mode, I do dragon damage too?
Yes.

Nicktals

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
Crap, is Super Alatreon still up? I totally forgot about it. Tomorrow, quests will change!

Is he? I might get on for one or two.

PounchEnvy said:
I guess I might not finish my Switch Axe. I'm sort of burned out on Monster Hunting. Damn you Skypiercers. Even when you have higher drops you choose to taunt me.

How many have you gotten in how many tries? I got 4 on my first, try, then 0 on my next 4 or 5...but since then, i've been averaging about 1.5.

Seems like the rate is probably around 80%..Not sure if it makes a difference if you break the horns...but I always like to, to play it safe (and to keep the fucker on the ground).

Poyunch

Nicktals said:
Is he? I might get on for one or two.

How many have you gotten in how many tries? I got 4 on my first, try, then 0 on my next 4 or 5...but since then, i've been averaging about 1.5.

Seems like the rate is probably around 80%..Not sure if it makes a difference if you break the horns...but I always like to, to play it safe (and to keep the fucker on the ground).
The last time I did the quest was with you guys. 8 attempts and no skypiercers. I'll see if I can do it tomorrow.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Mejilan said:
Well damn.
I only played about an hour of the Wii game because I was too tired and wanted to go to bed.
Wound up playing MHFU in bed on my PSP for about 5 hours. Haha.
Which one do you prefer? I'm tryin to decide between the two.

Ermac said:
Tri is more polished in my opinion. MHFU has more content, but some wierd ass hitboxes (FUCK YOU PLESIOTH!). Both are the best MH games, can't really go wrong with either.

JRPereira

Ermac said:

Partly due to the sheer amount of content compared to Tri, Unite progresses much better through it - giving you better rewards and requiring what feels like less grinding. Far, FAR better music and monsters too (narugakaruga, tigrex, yian garuga, and kushala daora are amazing), IMO, with the exception of that fucker Plesioth.

The distribution of sharpness is much smoother in Unite.

Longswords, IMO, are handled better in Unite than in Tri - the infinite spirit gauge/easier combo management in Tri makes for kind of oversimplified longsword usage. I think they may have done it in part to compensate for the lack of dual swords (similar to how the sns feels much more combo-heavy in Tri). In Unite, having to alternate back and forth to keep your spirit gauge up and decide whether you wanted it full for additional power and cutting force or using it for extended combos made it feel like longswords had more depth.

Tri has easier internet play unless you own a PS3, at which point it adhoc party makes things pretty easy. Don't bother with Wii speak if you get Tri - their implementation is absolute garbage.

Unite probably starts a good bit slower than Tri, if I remember correctly.

Mejilan

Ermac said:

I'm enjoying both immensely, but I think I have to give the nod to Tri.
It's a joy to play and very, very pretty IMHO. Also, the environments are put together in a very convincing and visually pleasing manner.

MHFU is portable, and that's a HUGE draw to me. But it seems like U's idea of a mountain is a series of staggered man (or woman) high rectangular platforms that you climb up. Tri's environments are sloped and inclined where they should be, and have foliage and features sprinkled throughout in a very convincing manner.

I'm surprised by how similarly they play, but again, the Wii version (with CC Pro) easily gets the nod in the controls department. It can be a bit cramped on the PSP.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. It bears mentioning that the Wii game's online mode is probably way more accessible. I think MHFU can only go online with tunneling services al Ad Hoc Party or XLink Kai? Not too sure about that, however.

JRPereira said:
Partly due to the sheer amount of content compared to Tri, Unite progresses much better through it - giving you better rewards and requiring what feels like less grinding. Far, FAR better music and monsters too (narugakaruga, tigrex, yian garuga, and kushala daora are amazing), IMO, with the exception of that fucker Plesioth.

The distribution of sharpness is much smoother in Unite.

Longswords, IMO, are handled better in Unite than in Tri - the infinite spirit gauge/easier combo management in Tri makes for kind of oversimplified longsword usage. I think they may have done it in part to compensate for the lack of dual swords (similar to how the sns feels much more combo-heavy in Tri). In Unite, having to alternate back and forth to keep your spirit gauge up and decide whether you wanted it full for additional power and cutting force or using it for extended combos made it feel like longswords had more depth.

Tri has easier internet play unless you own a PS3, at which point it adhoc party makes things pretty easy. Don't bother with Wii speak if you get Tri - their implementation is absolute garbage.

Unite probably starts a good bit slower than Tri, if I remember correctly.

I made a thread about this very thing months back. Basically brought up how I ultimately preferred MHFU over Tri for a variety of reasons, despite the refinements/visual edge (though I still prefer Freedom Unite's B.C. art style to Tri's oceanic)
I'm still of that mindset now but have been putting more time into Tri.
MHFU is still THE ultimate thing to play while you're waiting in line, going poop, hanging out w/friends, etc. :D

Alien Manobo said:
Bugs & Fishing Crew, where you guys at? Arena time!

EDIT: what the F did Ace do?

I was in the mood for some monster hunting tonight but I fell asleep. :(

I'll be on friday if you want to destroy some arena records with me. Poor Boney's passion for 3DS got him in some trouble I think

A few unfamiliar names came and went plus another hunter, not sure if he's from GAF or just someone with the same name who kept on afk-ing in the middle of an arena run. I fell asleep after an hour of that crap.

Poor Boney's passion for 3DS got him in some trouble I think

He should suck and blow his ban away :p

I ordered this yesterday from Amazon. I've never played a MH game in my life but I'll be playing with two friends over Skype...I'm excited :D Hope to come in this thread sometimes.

olimpia84

dragonlife29 said:
I ordered this yesterday from Amazon. I've never played a MH game in my life but I'll be playing with two friends over Skype...I'm excited :D Hope to come in this thread sometimes.

same here, it's only 40 bucks with the classic controller pro. The problem will be to find the time to play this, my backlog is huge

Top Bottom