• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

rosjos44

Thanks :) I do have a USB keyboard. I forgot that it would work in this game. I do have xbox live (typically thats how I speak on Wii online games lol).

Boney

Banned
Sagitario said:
Are there any newbie tutorials/tips for this game?
Never try to get that one extra hit, because most of the time, you'll get hit. (Well, once you get a hang of it you can)
Dodge to cancel your moves and evade.
And get equiped apropriatly, with armor, weapons and items.

What region are you?

Hey guys, I know this isnt the buy sell forum but I thought this would be a good place to ask. I have monster hunter tri and was going to sell it on amazon, but I got the bundle so my copy doesnt have a UPC so I cant sell it to amazon. If anyone wants it, or has a friend interested for the game only. PM me and we can work out a price maybe.

Sagitario

OK, so... where the heck do I find iron ore? :p

Too much info. in so little time, I feel like I'm lost sometimes.

Is sword+shield good for a newbie?

Boney

Banned
Sagitario said:
OK, so... where the heck do I find iron ore? :p

Too much info. in so little time, I feel like I'm lost sometimes.

Is sword+shield good for a newbie?
You just have to carry around some picks and you have to mine these little rocks that are different color.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrJIdivmq9E#t=3m49s

There's plenty of them, check area 7 and 8 in the island, I've never mined in caves. So just carry some picks all the time and whenever you see these, you can just mine. iron ores are basically everywhere.

As for weapons, yeah, SnS is basically the easiest to learn, since it's fast enough to dodge your way out of trouble even if you don't know monsters very well. I started with the GS almost right away, and it was really hard to learn, but after killing my first Great Jaggi, you're basically set.

You can check out the different moves for weapons in the Notes if you press start.

Sagitario

I don't think I've access to those areas yet [I don't have picks either, I think]. Some NPC [the blacksmith] just asked me for iron ore after getting the first resources.

You can buy pickaxes from the shop. Grab a torch from the brazier right where you head out in area 1 so you can light up the cave, and remember that you can mine while having the torch out by holding R while pressing Use at a mining point.

Is there a way to make the text bigger?

It's REALLY small.

Other than that, the game is fun, but takes some getting used to. Quests barely give you any info on where to go, just vague "collect mushrooms!" with no real direction on where to find said mushrooms.

Luigiv said:
Play it on a bigger TV.

Other then that, no.
I'm playing it on a 40inch HDTV

Umm... it's still really small, and is almost ruining the game for me. I can't read most of the dialog, since each letter just melts into the other because of my somewhat poor eye sight

Luigiv

balladofwindfishes said:
I'm playing it on a 40inch HDTV

Umm... it's still really small, and is almost ruining the game for me. I can't read most of the dialog, since each letter just melts into the other because of my somewhat poor eye sight
Was just teasing. Pretty much everyone and their dog has complained about the text size. It was a terrible decision on Capcom's part. Font that size is a big no-no for console games (particularly at the Wii's ouput resolution). The only thing you can really do about it is sit closer to your TV (or improve you're eyesight).

Anyone still playing? I took a long break to dive into my video game backlog. Played through FF13, Kirby EY, and some DS games. I've popped online with MH a couple times but never see anyone around.

Is there a way to go free hunting in an area other than the forest?

I unlocked the desert area, and I want to free hunt there to collect some resources, but there doesn't seem to be a way.

balladofwindfishes said:
Is there a way to go free hunting in an area other than the forest?

I unlocked the desert area, and I want to free hunt there to collect some resources, but there doesn't seem to be a way.
The forest is the only free hunting area, sorry.

Luigiv

Shin_Kojima said:
The forest is the only free hunting area, sorry.
Though that isn't the whole story. In the next tier of quests you unlock what are known as Harvest Tours, which are similar to free hunting in the forest but with the normal time and death limits and regular quest rewards for slaying bosses.

DragonGirl said:
Anyone still playing? I took a long break to dive into my video game backlog. Played through FF13, Kirby EY, and some DS games. I've popped online with MH a couple times but never see anyone around.

Yup the usual residents of widom1/gate 40 still play although not as consistently now. I occasionally pop my head in on the gaf server to see if anyone is on. However, posting an invite in this thread is more reliable when you want to hunt with gaf. On the subject, anybody on right now?

Edit: Nobody on but I didn't have much time tonight to play so it's no big deal. I'll probably be on tomorrow night.

Nicktals

Banned
Chopper Dave said:
Yup the usual residents of widom1/gate 40 still play although not as consistently now. I occasionally pop my head in on the gaf server to see if anyone is on. However, posting an invite in this thread is more reliable when you want to hunt with gaf. On the subject, anybody on right now?

Edit: Nobody on but I didn't have much time tonight to play so it's no big deal. I'll probably be on tomorrow night.

I'm going to try and get on tomorrow evening for a while as well.

also, has anybody tried sending out some emails to see if there's any word on those final 3 or 4 events? I'm really hoping they come out, but I'm kind of expecting not to at this point.

balladofwindfishes said:
Is there a way to make the text bigger?

It's REALLY small.
So it's not just me!

Just started playing today, pretty fun even though I'm still trying to learn the controls. Playing a 3D action game without lock-on after 40+ hours of Twilight Princess is kinda tricky. I think half the time I'm whiffing my slashes as the monster I'm targeting runs past me.

And any tips for attack combos? I'm running S+S but it's pretty much mashmashmash for me at this point. :lol

Boney

Banned
Well... be sure to check the weapon guide.

Just press start, and then R. And go into the weapon menu.. you'll see every move from every weapon.

Have fun killing that Great Jaggi!

Nicktals

Banned
Boney said:

Just press start, and then R. And go into the weapon menu.. you'll see every move from every weapon.

I'd actually suggest reading the manual. I didn't learn about some moves until checking the manual (like the ability to go into a charged GS strike (or a block) without having to stop running.

upandaway

Fucking finally I booted the game up! Dear god it's been on me for almost a month now. No clue why I didn't bother, there were other things I also wanted to do so it just kinda happened.

First thing I did with a friend was quickly make two people, then go to the Arena. Fast forward 5 fucking hours later and we had just beat Barroth. We sucked really hard (as I had only played the demo when it first came out and he never touched MH) but it was so fun. Those 5 hours were non stop. Then we shaved 2 minutes off our time with Great Jaggi just to restore our sanity.

I'll post on the whole experience for whoever's interested (this is kinda late though).

For Barroth I used the Long Sword (which was kinda slow for the LS that I remember in the demo, but I kind of forgot everything) and he went between all of them till he sticked to the gun. The LS is so fun and he's really, REALLY into the gun right now. No clue how he loves it so much because I fucking hate it.

For the first 2 or so hours we just wailed away and kept on being as stubborn as we could. Then it occurred to us that we actually have these things called items. Till then we only used potions and the whetstone.
I had 2 huge bomb barrels and 2 tiny barrels, and he had 2 medium barrels and a shock trap, so what we did was place all the big barrels together with a shock trap, lure him in, then I place the 2 small barrels and everything explodes. Ideally his head's completely clean from mud right now.

We did this for a while and then we went one step further and realized there are items on the field as well. I took all the flash bombs (I usually only manage to hit him with 1 though) and we took the rest of the potions whenever we needed them.

Then we half-gave up and went online to look for any info. We learned about Barroth's weakeness and the fire, water and mud stuff, and my friend discovered he has elemental bullets. After this it was only about an hour until the bastard finally died.

What's really weird is that Barroth almost exclusively gunned for him instead of me, so he had to constantly run away and I had to constantly chase Barroth.

This was really damn fun and it hit us hard that there are a lot of things you need to do in a fight in order to get somewhere. Between the barrels, the scourging items from the field, the learning how to dodge, the aiming for his weaknesses with elements, the flash bombs... it was intense.
I'm kinda bummed that no new monsters unlocked in the Arena but guess it's time to go into the real game.

(the post looks like a mess but it's so late I can't be bothered to rewrite it. shit this thing is unreadable. sorry)

Proven

upandaway said:
Fucking finally I booted the game up! Dear god it's been on me for almost a month now. No clue why I didn't bother, there were other things I also wanted to do so it just kinda happened.

First thing I did with a friend was quickly make two people, then go to the Arena. Fast forward 5 fucking hours later and we had just beat Barroth. We sucked really hard (as I had only played the demo when it first came out and he never touched MH) but it was so fun. Those 5 hours were non stop. Then we shaved 2 minutes off our time with Great Jaggi just to restore our sanity.

I'll post on the whole experience for whoever's interested (this is kinda late though).

For Barroth I used the Long Sword (which was kinda slow for the LS that I remember in the demo, but I kind of forgot everything) and he went between all of them till he sticked to the gun. The LS is so fun and he's really, REALLY into the gun right now. No clue how he loves it so much because I fucking hate it.

For the first 2 or so hours we just wailed away and kept on being as stubborn as we could. Then it occurred to us that we actually have these things called items. Till then we only used potions and the whetstone.
I had 2 huge bomb barrels and 2 tiny barrels, and he had 2 medium barrels and a shock trap, so what we did was place all the big barrels together with a shock trap, lure him in, then I place the 2 small barrels and everything explodes. Ideally his head's completely clean from mud right now.

We did this for a while and then we went one step further and realized there are items on the field as well. I took all the flash bombs (I usually only manage to hit him with 1 though) and we took the rest of the potions whenever we needed them.

Then we half-gave up and went online to look for any info. We learned about Barroth's weakeness and the fire, water and mud stuff, and my friend discovered he has elemental bullets. After this it was only about an hour until the bastard finally died.

What's really weird is that Barroth almost exclusively gunned for him instead of me, so he had to constantly run away and I had to constantly chase Barroth.

This was really damn fun and it hit us hard that there are a lot of things you need to do in a fight in order to get somewhere. Between the barrels, the scourging items from the field, the learning how to dodge, the aiming for his weaknesses with elements, the flash bombs... it was intense.
I'm kinda bummed that no new monsters unlocked in the Arena but guess it's time to go into the real game.

(the post looks like a mess but it's so late I can't be bothered to rewrite it. shit this thing is unreadable. sorry)

And thus I read a microcosm of the life of a Monster Hunter player. Glad you had fun.

I'm going to try and be a regular weekend hunter, on Saturday and Sunday evenings at 7:00 central time. If you're on around that time, feel free to join me ( Khory ).

Boney said:

Not exactly what I was looking for but very helpful nonetheless! The Great Jaggi was a pain the first time facing it but I'm now actively hunting them in the woods for resources now. :)

I tried out the Arena once; is it me or is the Great Jaggi there tougher for w/e reason? Maybe I'm too used to ChaCha being my decoy. :lol

Boney

Banned
Little Green Yoda said:
Not exactly what I was looking for but very helpful nonetheless! The Great Jaggi was a pain the first time facing it but I'm now actively hunting them in the woods for resources now. :)

I tried out the Arena once; is it me or is the Great Jaggi there tougher for w/e reason? Maybe I'm too used to ChaCha being my decoy. :lol
Well, there's everything you need to know regarding weapons, and you can try yourself how to link them. Just now that you can instead of the shield bash, do 2 other sword swings with a if you aren't pressing the stick. And you can even close that off with the final horizontal swipe pressing the + button.

Arena's are a bit tougher thanks to the usually low defense equipment, but once you get better, you can pretty much beat them easily.

Be sure to try the other weapons later on! I ended up mastering each except the S.A.

Top Bottom