• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Boney

Banned
Alien Manobo said:
My hax post was 12 hours ago, where were you lol.

Anyhoo, you guys have fun.
Uhhh that slipped :lol

I was sleeping :p

EDIT: Well in case anybody wants to go for a few rounds, I'm on.

Poyunch

Wait are you guys on? I need Jho coins!!!!

edit: Man I've gotten so rusty since I've stopped playing. It's only been like 2 or 3 weeks. :lol

I still need 2 more Jho coins and then I'll retire my Monster Hunting until 3G comes out. Or until I happen upon a PSP.

Poyunch

Yeah we were brutal against Ura and Barroth. It could have been even faster if Jho's legs weren't so freaking skinny. I keep missing his legs when I use sleep knives.

Boney

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Yeah we were brutal against Ura and Barroth. It could have been even faster if Jho's legs weren't so freaking skinny. I keep missing his legs when I use sleep knives.
told you to wait on the pitfalls, but you suck... balls

Poyunch

Boney said:
told you to wait on the pitfalls, but you suck... balls
Well I don't pay attention to whether or not traps are placed. I just roll with it and focus on keeping my meter full.

Tenbatsu said:
If you guys are interested, I am willing to share a perfect run video of that new arena quest:D
Sure. :D

Poyunch

I want a new avatar but I don't want to get rid of my badge thingy. I wish a mod would put it in my tag like the flags but I guess that's just a special occasion and I don't deserve special treatment. :p

Nicktals

Banned
So, I was hoping to get online, but the internet is being terrible at the moment...So I went offline and decided to finally start learning lance.

What are some good tips, for both offline and on? (also, I thought there was a way to bunnyhop/strafe to the side...is there?)

Poyunch

It's too late for me to play but anyway to sidestep you have to stab then dodge. Lancing is awesome. If bunnyhopping is what I think it is just keep dodging and you'll move forward.

Learn to counter well and you'll be godly. I'd lance more but I don't like how limited you are in movement.

Nicktals

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
It's too late for me to play but anyway to sidestep you have to stab then dodge. Lancing is awesome. If bunnyhopping is what I think it is just keep dodging and you'll move forward.

Learn to counter well and you'll be godly. I'd lance more but I don't like how limited you are in movement.

So by stab then dodge, what buttons? X then B + Direction to a side?

Also, anyone else up for hunting? finally got the internet working...I have tomorrow off, but I just KNOW it will be shitty all day tomorrow, because it can read my mind.

upward stab (A) actually does a little more damage that horizontal stab, so you probably want to go with that. Also important for lancing is counter-cancelling, which is done by tapping R + A instead of holding R. Gives you access to an infinite combo.

Poyunch

Nicktals said:
So by stab then dodge, what buttons? X then B + Direction to a side?

Also, anyone else up for hunting? finally got the internet working...I have tomorrow off, but I just KNOW it will be shitty all day tomorrow, because it can read my mind.
Yeah but you can also stab with the A button. I usually use A unless I need some horizontal reach.

Also it's a bit obvious and you already know this but you should either counter or dodge/sidestep after three stabs so that you can go into another three stabs without a long interruption.

Nicktals

Banned
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Also important for lancing is counter-cancelling, which is done by tapping R + A instead of holding R. Gives you access to an infinite combo.

Okay, this sounds good...Does this R + A have to be used as a counter? And then what's the button combo for the infinite combo that it yields?

Poyunch

Nicktals said:
Okay, this sounds good...Does this R + A have to be used as a counter? And then what's the button combo for the infinite combo that it yields?
It's Stab, Stab, Stab, Counter, Stab, Stab, Stab, etc...

So yeah (I'll use X so that's there's not too many A's):

X, X, X, R + A, X, X, X, R+A

Oh yeah or stab, stab, stab, sidestep. Occasionally you'll have to backstep because you'll move forward subtly if you continue the infinite combo.

ShinNL

PounchEnvy said:
It's Stab, Stab, Stab, Counter, Stab, Stab, Stab, etc...

So yeah (I'll use X so that's there's not too many A's):

X, X, X, R + A, X, X, X, R+A

Oh yeah or stab, stab, stab, sidestep. Occasionally you'll have to backstep because you'll move forward subtly if you continue the infinite combo.
A counter counts as a stab, so you can only stab twice after a counter...

And PS2 controls ftw. Down, Down, Down.

Nicktals

Banned
Hooray, Comcast finally came out and fixed the issue...so I'm online, and would love to get some deviljho coins! And maybe practice some lancing as well.

Anyone up for it now?? I'm not on, but I can be!

Nicktals

Banned
Hmm,,,Apparently I won't be going online...ugh...Any ideas for this one?

I got a new modem. I was connected fine before the cable modem died. Now I get a new modem (same router, and all the same settings). I connect to the server, but when I choose my file (Nick), I immediately get booted with the message "connection terminated due to network instability."

Any ideas of how to fix this?

Hiltz

It says "connection terminated due to network instability" when I try to play online today. Seems like its occurring for other players as well.

I hope Capcom will fix the problem soon.

I just got on and the servers seem fairly empty now. Whatever problems were present a while ago may have just been fixed. Shall we hunt some monsters?

Hiltz

I'll have to try going online to see if its been fixed.

Question.

I made the Hypnos Knife sword & shield that has the sleep effect specifically to use against Alatreon to help with the sleep bomb method. I'm trying to get it upgraded to the Morpheus Knife but it is just hard to get those required bird wyvern gems. Anyway, is the Hypnos knife even worth using against Alatreon ? The weapon only does 196 raw damage and 190 sleep element damage. It also has 0% affinity.

Would it be of any help to get the activate status attack up armor skill ? I don't think elemental attack up will be of any use since sleep is a status effect and not an element.
I'm currently using the Lagiacrus + armor set (can't rely on Deviljho armor set until I obtain enough heavy armor spheres to upgrade the defense points)

Nicktals

Banned
Hiltz said:
I'll have to try going online to see if its been fixed.

Question.

I made the Hypnos Knife sword & shield that has the sleep effect specifically to use against Alatreon to help with the sleep bomb method. I'm trying to get it upgraded to the Morpheus Knife but it is just hard to get those required bird wyvern gems. Anyway, is the Hypnos knife even worth using against Alatreon ? The weapon only does 196 raw damage and 190 sleep element damage. It also has 0% affinity.

Would it be of any use if I used Lagiacrus + armor set to activate status attack up ? I don't think elemental attack up will be of any use since sleep is a status effect and not an element.

The sleep knives are good if you're sleep bombing. If you're not with a team who knows how to sleep bomb, then they're not really worth it.

And yeah, if you're sleep bombing, status atk up and bombardier are both good skills to have.

EDIT: Also, it worked for me! Me and Jason had some good Arena hunts. Got some joe coins. Good times.

Hiltz

Nicktals said:
The sleep knives are good if you're sleep bombing. If you're not with a team who knows how to sleep bomb, then they're not really worth it.

And yeah, if you're sleep bombing, status atk up and bombardier are both good skills to have.

EDIT: Also, it worked for me! Me and Jason had some good Arena hunts. Got some joe coins. Good times.

Is it possible to make those throwing sleep knifes? I've only used them in Arena battles.

Yeah, I'd normally use bombardier skill but I can also just just carry barrel bomb L+, barrel bomb L along with scatterfish and gunpowder.

I hate it when I end up with a team that doesn't do the sleep bomb method especially when it means I'll have to use up all of my life powder supplies.

Nicktals

Banned
Hiltz said:
Is it possible to make those throwing sleep knifes? I've only used them in Arena battles.

Yeah, I'd normally use bombardier skill but I can also just just carry barrel bomb L+, barrel bomb L along with scatterfish and gunpowder.

I hate it when I end up with a team that doesn't do the sleep bomb method especially when it means I'll have to use up all of my life powder supplies.

Bombarider increases the power of LBB+...essentially making it a LBB++.

And aren't throwing knives just a supply item? Or is there a way to get them back to your supply box?

EDIT: So basically, you should have bomardier, AND carry LBB+, LBB, scatterfish, and gunpowder. If you're lucky enough to get the kitchen skill pyro then you shouldn't need scatterfish, as it turns LBB into LBB+.

Hiltz

Nicktals said:
Bombarider increases the power of LBB+...essentially making it a LBB++.

And aren't throwing knives just a supply item? Or is there a way to get them back to your supply box?

Yeah, I thought throwing knives were featured only in certain quests as supply items. I have read a few comments about it and some players claim you can get a throwing knife from those little cat creatures that may drop them (from those other cats that don't steal your items). Then you can combine the knife with a sleep herb (bought from the shop lady in offline mode ) to make sleep throwing knife. However, the problem seems to be that you can only make and use a sleep knife during the quest in which you found the throwing knife. I guess it is impossible to do for Alatreon as I don't recall any of those little cat characters roaming around on the map.

Poyunch

Bombardier is very important for sleepbombing and bomb creating. Unless you want to carry around four or five combo books (which I guess would help if you wanted to mix more items other than bombs) it's best to have the Bombardier skill so that your success rate in combos is 100%.

ShinNL

Tenbatsu said:
Not sure if you guys notice, but there is one new gun for Joe coin. My favorite MH3 gun:)
Why is it your favorite? I'm 3 pinnacles away from the last upgrade but I don't see how I'm supposed to make the gun good. I guess with Normal S up and Critical Eye?

By the way Tenbatsu, do you know a way to make a no recoil 4x para Lv2 gunner set with HGE, bombardier and trapmaster with only a slotless trapmaster charm? No matter what I try, it seems I really need that 1 extra slot, but the game is trolling me by giving me SpeedSetup+9 with 1 slot (got 4 of those now).

Top Bottom