• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Tried coming back to this yesterday, but being stuck at HR 10 really sucks. I'm annoyed that after beating Caedeus in single, I have to grind my way through garbage again online.

Proven

The only thing that makes it fun and bearable is meeting up with friends, or making new friends that can either make the grind more efficient, or preferably, very fun. At the very least, from beating Caedus you have strong enough weaponry that you can solo a lot them without too much extra time spent breaking through their extra defense due to online play.

And for Green Yoda, here are some SnS tutorial videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFDMXmL8Ip0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W00vflkq-IQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCKiHGS7mws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl5qzeLuVyM

The man, the myth, Social Dissonance, has started a Monster Hunter Tri Let's Play, and you can easily pick through the playlist on his channel for just the specific videos you want to see.

Ryuuga

Banned
I think I might start a gunner. I have no idea why, but I never tried using one until I tried the MHP3rd demo last night and I had a blast. That said, Barrfrost provided quite a challenge seeing as I wasn't accustomed to the PSP control scheme. I can't wait for the game to hit shelves. Think we'll ever see a re-release of MH3 on Wii with the additional content from the PSP iteration?

What time(s) does the GAF server have people on there? I realize a number of players have moved on to other games 6 months after release but I hope there's still GAFers to play with!

Boney said:
Be sure to try the other weapons later on! I ended up mastering each except the S.A.
Yeah, right now I'm trying to focus on SnS so I can get better with it but I do have a War Hammer+ that I use from time to time when I need some extra power. I think it'll be a while before I'm good enough with them to start learning the other weapons though. :lol

Proven said:
And for Green Yoda, here are some SnS tutorial videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFDMXmL8Ip0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W00vflkq-IQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCKiHGS7mws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl5qzeLuVyM

The man, the myth, Social Dissonance, has started a Monster Hunter Tri Let's Play, and you can easily pick through the playlist on his channel for just the specific videos you want to see.
Thanks! Those should be very useful to me. :D

upandaway

It's possible to do all the attacks from Wiimote+Nunchuck, right? I noticed some people doing weird combos or beginning attacks that I don't know how to do. I hope I don't need to get used to the CC Pro all over again.

Sagitario

This game is freaking hard.

Me and a friend were playing last night and boy, we couldn't kill the Great Jaggi and the Qurupeco [1 star difficulty].

But a random player joined and he killed them in less than 1 minute... WTF?

Seriously, my and me friend suck at this game so far, but it's fun.
Any tips on getting better? To farm money?

Also, do city quests disappear? Cause the Great Jaggi quest is not listed anymore.

Wazzim

Banned
Sagitario said:

Me and a friend were playing last night and boy, we couldn't kill the Great Jaggi and the Qurupeco [1 star difficulty].

Seriously, my and me friend suck at this game so far, but it's fun.
Any tips on getting better? To farm money?

Also, do city quests disappear? Cause the Great Jaggi quest is not listed anymore.
The only tip I can give is to try every weapon and see what's best for you and the monster you're fighting.

Little Green Yoda said:
What time(s) does the GAF server have people on there? I realize a number of players have moved on to other games 6 months after release but I hope there's still GAFers to play with!
Your best bet, if you want to play with other gaffers, is to announce that you want to play with gaffers on a given day/time. Weekend evenings seem like a popular time. I couldn't play this weekend because I was busy.

Next best bet is to go online and then post a "hey, anyone want to play" type of post in this thread.

Proven

upandaway said:
It's possible to do all the attacks from Wiimote+Nunchuck, right? I noticed some people doing weird combos or beginning attacks that I don't know how to do. I hope I don't need to get used to the CC Pro all over again.
I swear by the Nunchuck (Freestyle) to the point where I'm considering not getting the next release as I'll lose that feeling of flow in combat. Tilting the controller instead of using the button combos just feels better to me, but I will admit that each control scheme has at least one weapon that feels a little awkward to use, especially to a new Monster Hunter fan.

To properly answer your question, every control scheme can do every move in the game, but as mentioned each one makes certain moves and combos easier. Freestyle makes SnS a breeze, but Pro 1 seems a bit better for Lances and the LS.

ShinNL

upandaway said:
CC2 and Nunchuck have all possible moves except for 1 that's exclusive to CC1: going from block to counter with the lance.

That's mainly because it's CC1's limitation: you can't go to counter immediately without starting a combo or hold block first.

Other things CC1 can't do: sideway hop slash with LS without starting a combo, use items directly with SnS while unsheathed without going into block first. I also read that you can't unsheathe your GS without actually attacking.

If you want the precision of a gamepad but the interaction of a Nunchuck, CC2 is the best middle ground. Worst camera control of the bunch though.

Soneet said:
Other things CC1 can't do: sideway hop slash with LS without starting a combo, use items directly with SnS while unsheathed without going into block first. I also read that you can't unsheathe your GS without actually attacking.
There's no good reason why CC1 should have those limitations. My opinion is that Capcom intentionally gimped CC1 (because it would otherwise be the best scheme).

Proven

Lance Bone Path said:
There's no good reason why CC1 should have those limitations. My opinion is that Capcom intentionally gimped CC1 (because it would otherwise be the best scheme).

Isn't CC1 based off of the regular PSP Monster Hunter controls?

Proven said:
Isn't CC1 based off of the regular PSP Monster Hunter controls?
Aside from the weird limitations it is. I don't know why it's not possible to draw a GS without either going straight into a block or into an attack with CC1 because that's not how the GS unsheathe action worked in Freedom 2 or Unite.

Sagitario said:

Yeah, I was playing online with other people for the first time today and they totally ripped into monsters that I typically take 20+ minutes to fight. :lol Part of that has to be the quality of weapons. My non-elemental, dull SnS isn't going to take me very far at all. Finally got myself a Royal Claw and I'm working on a Hypno Knife atm. Having green sharpness last an entire battle is a welcome addition.

Looking through the Wiki, I'm realizing how hilariously overpowered the Fire element is in the early game. A lot of the first few bosses are weak to it; shame that I need a Megademon Drug to get a Fire element SnS. :/

Nicktals

Banned
Is there any reason why you would need to unsheathe the GS when you didn't want to attack or block? Maybe the tiny delay in going from sheathed -> block -> item, as compared to sheated -> unsheate -> item?

john tv

I wouldn't mind coming out of Tri retirement every now and then just to go up an HR or two. Still holding out hope for a Tri G that'll make it all worthwhile someday. :)

Proven

john tv said:
I wouldn't mind coming out of Tri retirement every now and then just to go up an HR or two. Still holding out hope for a Tri G that'll make it all worthwhile someday. :)
We can only hope.

Man, this game is so much fun! I've been playing single-player quite a bit and I just love gathering items :lol It's also a blast discovering things on your own.

Okay, I just got my shit wrecked last night by online Rathian. Offline I think I only died against it when I got poisoned and didn't Antidote quickly enough but last night I got one-shotted. Twice in the same quest (my teammates were probably pissed).

I'm wondering if I should change armor. I'm currently sporting level 4 Hunter's Armor because I figured I could blow through LR without forging more armor so I can save some materials for HR armor.
I know HR armor has some HR exclusive materials

Or maybe I should just play through it and learn to be more careful against things strong enough to OHKO me?

Poyunch

Yeah Rathian's a pretty easy monster once you get used to her. Um I'd still forge the LR Lagiacrus armor because it's as good as the HR armor.

The defense of maxed out LR armor can be upgraded into HR territory when you reach HR, so don't worry too much about maxing it out and throwing it away later.

Proven

Little Green Yoda said:
Okay, I just got my shit wrecked last night by online Rathian. Offline I think I only died against it when I got poisoned and didn't Antidote quickly enough but last night I got one-shotted. Twice in the same quest (my teammates were probably pissed).

I'm wondering if I should change armor. I'm currently sporting level 4 Hunter's Armor because I figured I could blow through LR without forging more armor so I can save some materials for HR armor.
I know HR armor has some HR exclusive materials

Or maybe I should just play through it and learn to be more careful against things strong enough to OHKO me?

You should swap armor. At this point, unless you're crafting every single thing you grab into weaponry, it'd be cheaper to switch armor than it would be to wait until you're a psychic around Rathian.

upandaway

I don't really get the combo books. Do they have to be on me or can they be in the item box? And don't they do anything besides making success rate higher?

Korigama

upandaway said:
I don't really get the combo books. Do they have to be on me or can they be in the item box? And don't they do anything besides making success rate higher?

You can store them all in the item box. However, the increases in success rate (which are indeed the only purpose of them) work depending on how many are carried in your pouch at the time, or what's stored when mixing at your item box: the increase won't work while out and about if you left them in your box. You'll eventually be able to buy enough of them to never fail in creating an item.

upandaway

Korigama said:
You can store them all in the item box. However, the increases in success rate (which are indeed the only purpose of them) work depending on how many are carried in your pouch at the time, or what's stored when mixing at your item box: the increase won't work while out and about if you left them in your box. You'll eventually be able to buy enough of them to never fail in creating an item.
Alright, thanks man. Sounds okay, as I nearly always combine from the item box.

ShinNL

john tv said:
I have a hard time booting any MH game after the 500 hour mark myself. I must say that I am surprised that Tri lasted this long for me (which I thought it would have been the shortest game in the series)

How Tenbatsu even managed to REPLAY the whole game is a mystery to me.

Luigiv

Soneet said:
I have a hard time booting any MH game after the 500 hour mark myself. I must say that I am surprised that Tri lasted this long for me (which I thought it would have been the shortest game in the series)

How Tenbatsu even managed to REPLAY the whole game is a mystery to me.
Tenbatsu is totally crazy... and Asian. 'Nuff said.

I'll be on again at 7 central time, just a heads up for non daylight savers, that's an hour later now. I'm hoping to see more than just 1 person tonight as I think it'd be fun to bomb (bombs only!) the hell out of a low Rathalos.

WillyFive

I've been meaning to get this game, and there's a copy on the store just sitting there, the game + Classic Controller Prop bundle.

Should I get? Or wait for a better deal in the holidays?

upandaway

THIS FUCKING GAME MAN.

6 hours daily for 4 days now. I'm not exaggerating.

I'm this close to trying Barroth out in the real game (already got him in the arena before so I know the guy), but I'm shitting my pants here because I already killed 3 of these Royal Ludroth and I didn't get a SINGLE sponge or crest or chest or whatever the fuck I need to make my Spiral Lance. And I really want this Spiral Lance because of the Water element and everything. I know how much of a bitch Barroth is and I NEED it.

I can't even get the king something from Great Jaggi, and there's something I'm missing from Qurupeco. I already killed Q at least 4 times now (and Jaggi more than I can count). Is my luck with drops really that shitty? Argh. I have 1,700rp and 20,000 monies just from killing these guys over and over again, despite wasting them as hard as I possibly could on garbage.

So yeah the Lance is pretty much the best thing I've ever seen and while I love the Switch Axe, I suck at it terribly. Should I feel lucky that there's one weapon I'm good at?

Korigama

Willy105 said:
I've been meaning to get this game, and there's a copy on the store just sitting there, the game + Classic Controller Prop bundle.

Should I get? Or wait for a better deal in the holidays?

Best to get it while it's still there (IIRC, the bundles were discontinued some time ago).

WillyFive

Korigama said:
Best to get it while it's still there (IIRC, the bundles were discontinued some time ago).

Neat!

But then if the game drops to $20 for sales, I could get the game and the controller for $10 less....

upandaway said:
I can't even get the king something from Great Jaggi, and there's something I'm missing from Qurupeco. I already killed Q at least 4 times now (and Jaggi more than I can count). Is my luck with drops really that shitty? Argh. I have 1,700rp and 20,000 monies just from killing these guys over and over again, despite wasting them as hard as I possibly could on garbage.

Have you tried capturing them? Sometimes certain items drop more frequently on captures compared to kills.

udivision

upandaway said:
I can't even get the king something from Great Jaggi, and there's something I'm missing from Qurupeco. I already killed Q at least 4 times now (and Jaggi more than I can count). Is my luck with drops really that shitty? Argh. I have 1,700rp and 20,000 monies just from killingthese guys over and over again, despite wasting them as hard as I possibly could on garbage.

Yo gotta kill the dude when the mission isn't to kill the dude to get the other things the dude drops. Also, you gotta break certain parts o' the dude.

Hiltz

Are you referring to the Great Jaggi's King's Frill ? You have to break its face the in order to have a high chance to get it at the rewards screen once you kill the monster.

I'm currently at HR 103 using the long sword and switch axe.

I just need the following items:

- 1 Diablos stout horn (needed to upgrade to Great Demon Bind P switch axe)

Curse this item for being so freaking rare!

- 3 Alatreon skypiercers (needed to upgrade to Black Harvest switch axe)

I tend to avoid fighting against it if there are no bow gunners on my team ands we're not using the sleep bomb strategy.

It's generally a good idea to learn how to use at least 2 different weapons. The long sword is probably the easiest weapon to master but it is also the most well-rounded. It has a pretty high attack speed (better than Great Sword, hammer, & Switch Axe) and pretty good reach too. The raw attack damage and elemental damage make it a middle of the road type of weapon . Fortunately, the spirit gauge helps boost the weapon's attack power temporarily especially if you can get it to the yellow or red color.

The best way to beat a monster to pay attention to its attack pattern. Familiarize yourself with a monster's few attack moves and that it becomes much easier to dodge them since you'll know what move they'll use and what you'll need to do to not get hit by it (stay close to it, stay far away, block or dodge. Also, it's always a good idea to bring tools like shock and pitfall traps in order to score free hits on monsters. By the way, the "superman" dive makes any player temporarily invicible for a very short amount of time (if you perform the move at the right time just as a monster hits you , you won't receive any damage).

upandaway

I was just beating them in the woods so I guess that's why. I'll try doing the capture and hunt quests. I got enough money and points to last me a while so that's good.

I tried doing Barroth once, two traps + might seed + food, but no Spiral Lance yet, and I got him to limp before I failed. Near the end though I got much better at shielding with the lance on his charges (would be helpful if I knew how to counter). So for now I'm working towards the Rhenoplos set to help me out.

Edit: What do you know, two captures = two king frails. I'm now fully decked for Barroth.

Though, I'm still just kinda randomly choosing food, so I think I'll try him after I research that a little.

upandaway said:
I was just beating them in the woods so I guess that's why. I'll try doing the capture and hunt quests. I got enough money and points to last me a while so that's good.

I tried doing Barroth once, two traps + might seed + food, but no Spiral Lance yet, and I got him to limp before I failed. Near the end though I got much better at shielding with the lance on his charges (would be helpful if I knew how to counter). So for now I'm working towards the Rhenoplos set to help me out.

Edit: What do you know, two captures = two king frails. I'm now fully decked for Barroth.

Though, I'm still just kinda randomly choosing food, so I think I'll try him after I research that a little.

On choosing food from the cats, I think the most generally useful combos are meat plus dairy (health and defense boosts) or meat plus drink (health and attack boost).

Proven

upandaway said:
THIS FUCKING GAME MAN.

6 hours daily for 4 days now. I'm not exaggerating.

I'm this close to trying Barroth out in the real game (already got him in the arena before so I know the guy), but I'm shitting my pants here because I already killed 3 of these Royal Ludroth and I didn't get a SINGLE sponge or crest or chest or whatever the fuck I need to make my Spiral Lance. And I really want this Spiral Lance because of the Water element and everything. I know how much of a bitch Barroth is and I NEED it.

So yeah the Lance is pretty much the best thing I've ever seen and while I love the Switch Axe, I suck at it terribly. Should I feel lucky that there's one weapon I'm good at?

As someone said, capturing increases your chances. What increases your chances even more? Breaking parts. It doesn't sound like you're breaking the Great Jaggi's frill on his face during your fights with him. As for the Royal Ludroth, he has three break points: A face frill (for the crest), the sponge that covers his neck (for the sponge), and then his tail. Lance and Great Sword have the most access and easiest time breaking for the crest and sponge. SnS is pretty good at getting just the sponge, and the Hammer is pretty good for just frill, but you'll need to change weapons or be a surgeon to get both.

upandaway

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I went online with a friend (he's using Heavy Bowgun now! I don't get this guy) and it was crazy. The event Jaggi quest (kill 4, sub=kill 2) gave me what, 6 King's Frills? 8 Great Jaggi Hide/Claw? 6000 monies? I think I also got 3 armor upgrade things and one armor upgrade+ (my first), and 2 charms, and a couple other things.

Online is a little overwhelming.

Almost 100 hours already according to my Wii
in 13 plays
:lol

Just one more Lagi horn to complete the Lagi armor set. Hitting Lagi's head is pretty tough since it moves around so much but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Underwater evasion is godly if used correctly.

Nicktals

Banned
Alien Manobo said:
Hi guys, it's been a while.

Anyone on?

EDIT: Nevermind.

I'll be getting on tomorrow...available all day, and night...so hope to get some time in tomorrow!

EDIT 2: And maybe later tonight too...but bowling first

Nicktals said:
EDIT: Nevermind.

I'll be getting on tomorrow...available all day, and night...so hope to get some time in tomorrow!

EDIT 2: And maybe later tonight too...but bowling first

I'll try and catch you guys tomorrow.

Cool to duo with Jason again after taking a month break from this game.

We still have some records to break.

Korigama said:

Just came from Wal-Mart and saw at least 4 or 5 bundles selling for $50. Hopefully, it'll entice more people to try the game. Especially considering the GE bundle is $70.

EDIT: Scratch that, it's apparently $30 at Amazon right now! Looking at CAG, it looks like they're price matching Gamestop. Where did all these new bundles come from?

Top Bottom