• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Proven said:
As someone said, capturing increases your chances. What increases your chances even more? Breaking parts. It doesn't sound like you're breaking the Great Jaggi's frill on his face during your fights with him. As for the Royal Ludroth, he has three break points: A face frill (for the crest), the sponge that covers his neck (for the sponge), and then his tail. Lance and Great Sword have the most access and easiest time breaking for the crest and sponge. SnS is pretty good at getting just the sponge, and the Hammer is pretty good for just frill, but you'll need to change weapons or be a surgeon to get both.
Yeah, I ended up switching to a sword for a quest or two to get some Ludroth stuff. I use hammer for everything, but it wasn't working (I believe you had to cut off its tail or something) - i think you actually have to have a 'cutting' weapon to get particular items from him.

I haven't played this in a while and I'm keen to fire it up again - fun reading people freaking out at Jaggi & Qurupeco - they were nightmares for me too once :D Part of the appeal of this great game, how something can give you so much grief then become a pushover. Even Barroth isn't a problem for me now. I think that's about as far as I got though. Real life getting in the way..

upandaway

I just beat Great Baggi and by now I can say fighting Barroth with the Lance is easily my least favorite fight in the game so far. Don't think I'll ever do it again.

It's even worse online because I don't know why but pretty much 90% of the time he goes for my Bowgun-wielding friend, charging at him relentlessly, to the other end of the screen. He also switched areas at least 3 times before limping. And whenever he DID attack me, of course, it was a fucking charge. It's not like he's hard, just really tedious.

Hammer won't really match with him either... SnS can't get the tail. I wish I had the Long Sword, but when I click on it it says something like "no matching equipment".

Well regardless, I won't have to farm for a Barroth set for a while, so I'll wait it out. Whew!

upandaway

Now re-evalulate as if you only understood the counter yesterday! And mind, I didn't say it was hard or anything, just annoying.

Though yeah, I guess if I didn't try going for the tail and if he didn't charge away from me every time he could, it would've been over much faster.

Proven

julls said:
Yeah, I ended up switching to a sword for a quest or two to get some Ludroth stuff. I use hammer for everything, but it wasn't working (I believe you had to cut off its tail or something) - i think you actually have to have a 'cutting' weapon to get particular items from him.

I haven't played this in a while and I'm keen to fire it up again - fun reading people freaking out at Jaggi & Qurupeco - they were nightmares for me too once :D Part of the appeal of this great game, how something can give you so much grief then become a pushover. Even Barroth isn't a problem for me now. I think that's about as far as I got though. Real life getting in the way..

I will say that for all monster tails that can be cut off, only a cutting weapon is going to do it. I think a cutting weapon is the only thing that can break of Ludroth's sponge as well. They did this because the hammer has been considered overpowered (blasphemy, I know).

The only weapon in the game that can do cutting damage and blunt damage in the same attack is the Lance, although it's an either or in this case.

Tenbatsu

Proven said:
I will say that for all monster tails that can be cut off, only a cutting weapon is going to do it. I think a cutting weapon is the only thing that can break of Ludroth's sponge as well. They did this because the hammer has been considered overpowered (blasphemy, I know).

The only weapon in the game that can do cutting damage and blunt damage in the same attack is the Lance, although it's an either or in this case.
You can break Ludroth's sponge with any weapons by dealing enough damage.

Out of the 6 melee weapons in MH3, the hammer is the only blunt weapon. Despite this disadvantage, it has the ability to drain a monsters stamina in practically every hit.

Blunt and Cut Damage Weapons
Lance (Shield Bash - blunt move), Great Sword (Forward Thrust - blunt move), SnS (Shield Bash - blunt move)

Cut only Damage Weapons
Slash Axe and Long Sword (You can equip Punishing Draw to have the first draw hit a blunt move)

Bowguns have the ability to drain stamina and cut tails too.

Ryuuga

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
Me. Alright with friends, not ok at all with strangers.

Yeah, there are a lot of things that aren't okay with strangers--like making offensive or illegal statements. Capcom told me I should refrain from those.

Proven

Tenbatsu said:
You can break Ludroth's sponge with any weapons by dealing enough damage.

Out of the 6 melee weapons in MH3, the hammer is the only blunt weapon. Despite this disadvantage, it has the ability to drain a monsters stamina in practically every hit.

Blunt and Cut Damage Weapons
Lance (Shield Bash - blunt move), Great Sword (Forward Thrust - blunt move), SnS (Shield Bash - blunt move)

Cut only Damage Weapons
Slash Axe and Long Sword (You can equip Punishing Draw to have the first draw hit a blunt move)

Bowguns have the ability to drain stamina and cut tails too.

It's why I said same attack. The Great Sword and SnS have to use a much weaker attack designed specifically so they at least have a KO attack (notice the cut only weapons aren't given to you until some time spent in the game).

The Lance, however, has a special property, in that attacking a body part with any move that involves the spear will do cutting damage or blunt damage, depending on whichever damage type would be stronger against that body part. To balance this, when it does blunt damage, it doesn't do KO damage (the yellow bash/special sound for certain attacks against the head). I don't even think it does exhaust damage.

As for Punishing Draw, I believe it allows the weapon to do KO and exhaust damage, but not blunt damage.

botticus

I hopped on last night for the first time in a few months. I still remembered how to use SnS, at least. Started off beating Rathian before failing a bunch against Rathalos. Could have been worse, but I sure don't play like an HR 64.

I'll probably be on a bunch this weekend recovering from gum surgery, hopefully I'll see people on my friend roster!

kinggroin

Banned
botticus said:
I hopped on last night for the first time in a few months. I still remembered how to use SnS, at least. Started off beating Rathian before failing a bunch against Rathalos. Could have been worse, but I sure don't play like an HR 64.

I'll probably be on a bunch this weekend recovering from gum surgery, hopefully I'll see people on my friend roster!

Heh, I've actually just come back to the game after a 3 month hiatus. Playing tonight with the goal to reach hr50. See ya there.

ShinNL

Anyone use WiiSpeak on this? How is it?
WiiSpeak creates lag. I mean like, the game actually slows down. 4 player WiiSpeak + Monster + Preys in 1 area = slow motion gameplay.

By the way: KO damage = exhaust damage. It's the same thing, except one is targeted on the head. And that stuff is done with a blunt attack.

Don't use the term blunt damage, that's just damage formula stuff that only adds confusion and not many would actually care about.

Proven

Soneet said:
WiiSpeak creates lag. I mean like, the game actually slows down. 4 player WiiSpeak + Monster + Preys in 1 area = slow motion gameplay.

By the way: KO damage = exhaust damage. It's the same thing, except one is targeted on the head. And that stuff is done with a blunt attack.

Don't use the term blunt damage, that's just damage formula stuff that only adds confusion and not many would actually care about.

And here I was sure that exhaust shots didn't do any KO damage when striking the head...

Proven said:
And here I was sure that exhaust shots didn't do any KO damage when striking the head...
I didn't think that exhaust shots ever do KO damage. Guess I was wrong about that.

The only shot that I'd been using for KO is crag and you inflict exhaust damage only when you inflict KO damage- which is with head shots only.

[extra edit]
Not that exhaust shot KOs makes all the item bag shuffling needed for gunning feel like less drudgery. :lol

ShinNL

Lance Bone Path said:
I didn't think that exhaust shots ever do KO damage. Guess I was wrong about that.

The only shot that I'd been using for KO is crag and you inflict exhaust damage only when you inflict KO damage- which is with head shots only.
Also wrong. "Missed" crag shots (aka, not on the head) still does exhaust damage.

As I said before: KO damage = exhaust damage.

Apenheul

It's been a couple of months since I've played MH:Tri but it aches that I haven't been able to beat Alatreon at HR 50. I'm going to continue playing again really soon.

Proven

Anyway, the whole reason why I was mentioned Cutting vs. Blunt was because it matters for breaking parts. You can't cut off a tail with Shield Bashes! Although sometimes I try...

Soneet said:
Also wrong. "Missed" crag shots (aka, not on the head) still does exhaust damage.

As I said before: KO damage = exhaust damage.
It doesn't seem like much thought was put into the exhaust damage thing.

Why did they add exhaust shots if crag shots do pretty much the same thing except with explosions? Why don't large barrel bombs next to the head cause KOs if their damage goes to the body part they're closest to? Why doesn't the SA explosion attack cause exhaust damage?

upandaway

So, the lance can choose between cutting or impact based on which gets higher damage in the body part, right?

That means that if a tail receives higher damage from impact than from cutting, I won't be able to cut it with a lance?

Proven

Lance Bone Path said:
It doesn't seem like much thought was put into the exhaust damage thing.

Why did they add exhaust shots if crag shots do pretty much the same thing except with explosions? Why don't large barrel bombs next to the head cause KOs if their damage goes to the body part they're closest to? Why doesn't the SA explosion attack cause exhaust damage?

Well, there are Pellet, Pierce, and a number of other shot types that behave in different ways.

Then there are the element shots that each act like one of those other shot types, but with an element tacked on.

So Crag shots are probably seen as exhaust shots with an explosive element.

When do people typically get on? I'm making an effort to be on every Sat/Sun at 7 central time. But the only person I see is Jason. Do larger groups gather on weekdays?

Tenbatsu

Lance Bone Path said:
You can KO a monster + drain stamina +damage with Exhaust shots when you aim for the head. Shooting it at other body parts only drain its stamina + damage. The damage for each exhaust shot is 10. Stamina/KO effect = 15 each.

upandaway said:
So, the lance can choose between cutting or impact based on which gets higher damage in the body part, right?

That means that if a tail receives higher damage from impact than from cutting, I won't be able to cut it with a lance?
The lance is a cut weapon, only the shield bash move is impact. The tail will only be cut if you inflict enough cut damage.

Tenbatsu

upandaway said:
I.. I'm a little confused.
Oh well, I'll take you for it.
You guys are making me confused too lol.

Anw its pretty simple actually. Lets say for example Royal Ludroth, the cut damage needed to have its tail cut is 300. Even if you blunt attack its tail for 290 damage with the lance shield bash and inflict a 10 cut damage, you are only dealing a 10 cut damage and will need 290 more cut damage to have its tail cut.

upandaway

No I mean, on the wiki it says the Lance can choose between cut or impact based on which does more damage. So are you saying even if it chooses the impact damage it still counts as cutting damage?

Lances have the special ability to become either an impact or cutting weapon (meaning that the lance will take the higher of the two hit zones). For example, when the lance strikes a Rathalos in the head, the cutting hit zone has a value of 80 and the impact hit zone of the head has a value of 70. The game automatically will select the higher value (in this case the 80 cutting hit zone).

Tenbatsu

Ho you are referring to that. If (Impact Hitzone x .72) is greater than Cutting Hitzone, use (Impact Hitzone x .72).

This lance impact hitzone rule applies only to a few monster parts in MH3. Lagis' back, Diablos' back, can't remember the rest.

Edit: The lance is able to cut all the tails in MH3. Just attack till you cut the dam tail off

Hiltz

A long time ago, I watched in amazement as two really high ranked lance members in my party took out a Deviljho in an online quest like it was nothing. They used Alatreon's lance by the way.

They just stayed close to his face and continuously pummeled him with that one attack where you stand and raise your lance up to do a poking/thrust. I think it took them around 10-15 minutes to kill him without Deviljho being able to have the opportunity to attack much.

DragonGirl said:
When do people typically get on? I'm making an effort to be on every Sat/Sun at 7 central time. But the only person I see is Jason. Do larger groups gather on weekdays?
I was on yesterday night because it sounded like lots of people were going to be on.

The only people I saw on last night were Nick and Jason. We did some quests where everyone had to use the same type of weapon. None of us use hammers much, but the following formula seems to hold:
Multiple hammers = quick quest completion + much hilarity

I'll probably play tonight, although it depends on what happens after dinner.

I really miss playing this game.

I burnt out at HR 97 at 250+ hours.

I simply ran out of awesome stuff to work toward and build. And with no offline guild hall quests to slowly complete by myself, i ran out of stuff to do in the village much faster than i did in Freedom unite. It really bummed me out when i went online again last night. I'm a loot game lover and without that motivation, tackling Lagia again isnt worth it.

My heart burns feverishly for Portable 3rd.

Nicktals

Banned
DragonGirl said:

I think people getting on regularly isn't happening as often...best to post here in advance, and hope people are available! Had a lot of fun last night with jason and lance though...Tried out S.A. and Hammer for the first time ever! Felt very fresh.

upandaway

So I went online yesterday, got 6 Sharq Tickets from the event quest (not knowing what they are), and then saw this weapon at the smith.

I, uh, is it alright for me to have this? I just beat Rathian. It's not like I'm cheating, right? There's a blue thing there! And it's 4 times as elemental as my other water lance! And it has positive affinity! It's so nice... it's so cool...

Doorman

I got Tri as part of the Target deal and finally cracked it open last night...

I'm going to be so far in over my head it's not even funny. :lol But hey, I won't mind having a game that can last me a long time to try and master. I'm probably going to take a while just getting my bearings offline and try to get some semblance of a gear set before I try tackling some online hunts, but I figured I'd at least start by announcing my presence.

I'll be seeking out some other sites and wikis and such to figure a lot of this out, but if you guys would be willing to entertain a quick newbie question: From my experiences with the demo months back, I figured I would want to specialize in using the long sword, but they're not available for crafting or purchase yet. Is it going to take a long time in the single-player campaign before that becomes available? I just need to know if I should devote some bigger time and resources into a solid secondary weapon type for several missions, or if I can just make do and hold onto my supplies to make something nice once they finally do show up.

julls said:
I was playing with my friend last night and we had to capture a Qurupeco. I made the mistake of not bringing more paintberries so once the first ran out and he fled, we could not find him for a while. Eventually we spotted him (we had been fighting it for quite some time already) when out of nowhere comes, what I assume,
Barioth. A huge brown flying creature.
I didn't see if the Qurupeco summoned it or if it just came out on its own, but the result is as you expect: we were slaughtered :lol I'll be damned if those last few minutes weren't incredible, though. Goddamn.

When I first saw it I shit my pants at just how awesome this damn game kept getting. Honestly, this has been one of the most satisfying game experiences in recent years for me and I'm sad I didn't get into the series sooner.

Doorman said:
I got Tri as part of the Target deal and finally cracked it open last night...

I'm going to be so far in over my head it's not even funny. :lol But hey, I won't mind having a game that can last me a long time to try and master. I'm probably going to take a while just getting my bearings offline and try to get some semblance of a gear set before I try tackling some online hunts, but I figured I'd at least start by announcing my presence.

I'll be seeking out some other sites and wikis and such to figure a lot of this out, but if you guys would be willing to entertain a quick newbie question: From my experiences with the demo months back, I figured I would want to specialize in using the long sword, but they're not available for crafting or purchase yet. Is it going to take a long time in the single-player campaign before that becomes available? I just need to know if I should devote some bigger time and resources into a solid secondary weapon type for several missions, or if I can just make do and hold onto my supplies to make something nice once they finally do show up.

If I remember correctly, it'll be a long time before you see the long sword or the switchaxe for that matter. I focused on three weapons, sword and shield to start with, then branched out to axe and long sword. You can get the long sword online a lot faster than off.

I'd recommend focusing on 2 weapons from the start to help cover your bases and then branching out from there later on if you like. I have one great sword I completed forging since it was from a rust shard and it's pretty fun to use.

dragonlife29 said:
I was playing with my friend last night and we had to capture a Qurupeco. I made the mistake of not bringing more paintberries so once the first ran out and he fled, we could not find him for a while. Eventually we spotted him (we had been fighting it for quite some time already) when out of nowhere comes, what I assume,
Barioth. A huge brown flying creature.
I didn't see if the Qurupeco summoned it or if it just came out on its own, but the result is as you expect: we were slaughtered :lol I'll be damned if those last few minutes weren't incredible, though. Goddamn.

When I first saw it I shit my pants at just how awesome this damn game kept getting. Honestly, this has been one of the most satisfying game experiences in recent years for me and I'm sad I didn't get into the series sooner.

Actually what you saw was probably a
Rathalos if it was brown. Barioth is white and has a saber-toothed cat head.

Doorman

DragonGirl said:
If I remember correctly, it'll be a long time before you see the long sword or the switchaxe for that matter. I focused on three weapons, sword and shield to start with, then branched out to axe and long sword. You can get the long sword online a lot faster than off.

I'd recommend focusing on 2 weapons from the start to help cover your bases and then branching out from there later on if you like. I have one great sword I completed forging since it was from a rust shard and it's pretty fun to use.
Meh, I was afraid of that...Well, I'm already working on a Lance so I guess it's time to shop around for a secondary to tide me over until I get to the LS. Ironically the other thing I would have liked using is the Switch Axe, but that's also unavailable! Curse you, Capcom! :lol

insin

Neo Member
Doorman said:
Meh, I was afraid of that...Well, I'm already working on a Lance so I guess it's time to shop around for a secondary to tide me over until I get to the LS. Ironically the other thing I would have liked using is the Switch Axe, but that's also unavailable! Curse you, Capcom! :lol
If you hop online, you can forge the first switch axe from the get-go - have a look at the Wiki if you want to have the materials ready beforehand. I did so after initially becoming frustrated with how long it was taking to kill Great Jaggi when I was trying to make his armour. Then I was merrily on my way to 100 hours of offline and 500 hours of online...

Nicktals

Banned
DragonGirl said:
Actually what you saw was probably a
Rathalos if it was brown. Barioth is white and has a saber-toothed cat head.

Actually I think peco summons an Ian. Could be wrong though.

Also, online in general is still pretty good, I believe. Last time I tried playing with randoms I had no problem finding a room for any monster.

upandaway

Doorman said:
I still can't get a LS and I'm about 55 hours in now, so yeah (although the option did become available a little while ago, it just tells me I can't choose to make one for some reason).

Right now the only weapons I really don't like using are the Great Sword and the Bowgun, and I could still hold my own if I choose the Great Sword out of necessity in the Arena.
Really, I wouldn't recommend sticking to one weapon, even when you get the Long Sword. I mainly use the Lance but against some monsters I'd go for a Switch Axe, and when I just wanna go out and quickly gather stuff I have an SnS. And I still use the fire Hammer a lot for two particular monsters, it makes my life much easier.

There's also the idea of whenever you need to kill a monster a lot of times, battle against it once with every weapon. It makes the grinding more enjoyable. And being a jack of all trades is never a bad thing.

Hiltz

Yes, the online community is quite active.

The long sword cannot be crafted until you finish the urgent level 3 quest against a Gobul (try to get a frog bait item to use to fish out the Gobul in area 4 as it makes the fight so much easier since the Gobul will mostly fight out of the water). You'll have to then talk to the Argosy Captain to buy the long sword ticket so you can craft it.

Top Bottom