• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Insaniac

Kinosen said:
Wow, just had my best night of Monster Hunter ever so far. I was HR 7 and was doing a Ludroth quest with 3 others when a Rathian showed up. I had seen it before, but this was the first time I actually took it on with people, it was amazing. Its size, roar, damage, just terrorizing.

We beat it and the Ludroth which brings me to HR 8 and unlocks the Barroth event quest, which was also awesome. We did that quest twice but it said something like 'Cannot proceed to next HR.' Maybe I have to initiate the quest myself. Even so, it's times like these when I really understand the appeal of these games. :D

I'll probably be on tomorrow night starting at 7-8ish EST if any lower HR hunters want to play, my ID is 2GCBWR.

My cousin and I each have an HR8 hunter, we just finished barroth online (albeit with some help)

On my SP char, I've made a lot of progress tonight, killing both the Gigginox and Rathian with relative ease.

I'm wondering, I use a GS and should I continue to the High chieftan blade or should I switch to the Lagi blade?

upandaway

Both! :lol

I just can't help myself whenever I see a split in the path, I get both. The versatility is so nice, and I usually get enough parts to do it just by aiming for the armor set of the monster/replaying quests online.

The only exception is that FUCKING Lagi horn. I need like 6 more, even now. Fuck that.

Doorman

Well, I'm going to see how well my connection decides to cooperate with me tonight, seems like a lot of the times I've tried to get on to play with friends I'm running into a lot of "connection terminated due to network instability" and I have no idea what the problem is. The constant disconnecting has made it really really hard to dig online to the fullest.

Anyway, folks in the 'States can look me up at Y1X9VM, though be warned I'm still only HR4 so early boring quests await.

Boney

Banned
upandaway said:
The only exception is that FUCKING Lagi horn. I need like 6 more, even now. Fuck that.
You just gotta break Lagi's head and it'll probably drop one. They're not that rare, but I've seen people with problems though.

Hiltz

I used to break Lagiacrus horns with the long sword, but it's much easier and faster to do with weapons like the switch axe.

At least the horn is easier to get than something like Diablos stout horn and Rathalos plate. Could be worse!

Boney

Banned
Hiltz said:
I used to break Lagiacrus horns with the long sword, but it's much easier and faster to do with weapons like the switch axe.

At least the horn is easier to get than something like Diablos stout horn and Rathalos plate. Could be worse!
!!!!!

Fuck that shit

Insaniac

hopping online iwth my cousin in about 15 minutes, HR8 if anyone wants to rejoin

Recruiting--> Wisdom 4 --> City Gate 40 --> City1

upandaway

Boney said:
You just gotta break Lagi's head and it'll probably drop one. They're not that rare, but I've seen people with problems though.
I either get 1 or none with a head break per fight, and I just need so many. It would've been totally fine if I just needed a couple, but I need so many of them. I just needed 1 plate so far.

Hiltz said:

I have 6+ Rathian Plates, 5+ Rathalos Plates, and 4 Rathian Rubies to spare but I can't for the life of me get a single Rathalos Ruby to drop. :lol

Bunch of spare Lagi Plates too.

Hiltz

Little Green Yoda said:
I have 6+ Rathian Plates, 5+ Rathalos Plates, and 4 Rathian Rubies to spare but I can't for the life of me get a single Rathalos Ruby to drop. :lol

Bunch of spare Lagi Plates too.

Have you tried doing the "Double Trouble" Rathian and Rathalos quest ? It generally gives a better chance to get rubies instead of trying to fight either of them solo.

Kard8p3

I really need to finish my Anga+ set, and I need to do the Ala urgent sometime..anyone up for hunting those two? Im free whenever.

Hiltz said:
Have you tried doing the "Double Trouble" Rathian and Rathalos quest ? It generally gives a better chance to get rubies instead of trying to fight either of them solo.

Yeah, that's why I have so many unneeded Rathian Rubies :lol. Trying to learn the lance before I get back to grinding for that Rathalos Ruby though. Tail cutting is such a chore with the SnS.

so, i just recently got this. made my character, talked to the village chief, placed my little lamp gift and saved/quit. i'm intending to dig into it proper next week while i'm off from work.

any tips for a total MH newbie? i'm thinking of going lancer since its seems the most forgiving with it being a defensive style. other than that i literally have zero to go on other than this game is apparently the bee's knees for grind/loot whores.

Codeblue

Little Green Yoda said:
Yeah, that's why I have so many unneeded Rathian Rubies :lol. Trying to learn the lance before I get back to grinding for that Rathalos Ruby though. Tail cutting is such a chore with the SnS.

Back when my friends and I were grinding for rubies, we would put the monsters to sleep and use a great sword to cut the tails off. Seemed to work a lot faster than the lance. If you're fighting the two alone, then lance is probably the better way to go.

I didn't play much lance though, so I could be wrong.

Doorman

Rabbitwork said:
so, i just recently got this. made my character, talked to the village chief, placed my little lamp gift and saved/quit. i'm intending to dig into it proper next week while i'm off from work.

any tips for a total MH newbie? i'm thinking of going lancer since its seems the most forgiving with it being a defensive style. other than that i literally have zero to go on other than this game is apparently the bee's knees for grind/loot whores.
Some tips from a fellow Monster Hunter newbie (I've been playing for probably 3 weeks or so):

- Especially easy once you get access to the farm, do your best to stay stocked up on some of the key ingredients. That means Herbs, Mushrooms, and Honey for mega potions, raw meat to grill into steaks, paintballs, and plenty of whetstones. You can find whetstones in area 7 of Moga Woods/Deserted Island, and I make it a point to head there and grab as many as I can any time I go out freehunting in single-player.

- In my experience, the Lance is a pretty good weapon to start off with, because its main attacks are fairly uncomplicated and you can work into a rhythm easily. The bonus from blocking is super-handy, especially when you're fighting monsters you aren't too familiar with (yesterday, for instance, I wrecked shop against Lagiacrus mostly because all of his attacks were easily-blockable, I know I'd have a much harder time trying to balance evasion and approach for attack). With that said, it doesn't hurt to get experience in multiple weapon types, and I'd recommend working on something else in conjunction with the lance especially with the early portion of the game, since the early bosses of Great Jaggi and Qurupeco like to attack with groups of smaller monsters and that's tough to deal with before you get used to the lance's movement style.

- It looks daunting and complicated at first, but start to familiarize yourself with the concept of armor skills. When you gain access to a new armor type, take a look at what skills it gives bonuses to and think about whether those skills mesh with your playstyle or not. You don't need to try and craft EVERY armor set.

- Remember that monsters have windows of opportunity after they attack, but so do you. This isn't a mere action game and learning when to pick your spots is really important to becoming a better player.

Tonight I need to handle the first urgent quest online, against the Barroth. Do other people online ever do these things anymore?

robox

so i'm at hr14 and cleared out all the city 2* quest. and i gotta get up to hr18 before i unlock the urgent? c'mon.... guess i should start tagging along other people's questin'.

i'd also really like to have a rathalos plate to finish off the armour, but i don't see that happening any time soon...

I think everybody fled for the holidays. I pretty much did for the month of December. I'm still taking a break from MH but I'll be back.

Doorman

I've been online in the past few days and while it doesn't seem like the game is jam-packed with players right now, there's still more than enough to cobble together a decent questing group. I've been pretty fortunate so far in being able to find cities with people around the same HR as me, now I just need to grind my way up to the second urgent quest. I'm glad that the only people still playing aren't the super-advanced folks only doing the highest ranked monsters.

I took a month or so break and I haven't seen any of the random people I friend-listed online. Do the names appear as offline if the other person removed you from their list?

Boogiepop

Finally started to play this (bought it a while back but didn't have a chance to get into it) and I'm already up to fourth level quests in the main game.
Also, in regards to online stuff, what's the deal with the arena exactly (is it more or less just there, or is it actually useful for something?)
Oh, and is there any good way to fish in the flooded forest? I could only find one spot with incredibly muddy water, making it hard to see the darn fish...

robox

Mank said:
Finally started to play this (bought it a while back but didn't have a chance to get into it) and I'm already up to fourth level quests in the main game.
Also, in regards to online stuff, what's the deal with the arena exactly (is it more or less just there, or is it actually useful for something?)
Oh, and is there any good way to fish in the flooded forest? I could only find one spot with incredibly muddy water, making it hard to see the darn fish...

arena quests are... kinda like a test of skill, though the same set up was called training in previous games. just you and the monster, no running away for either. you have preset gear, preset items, and then challenged to meet time limits. i think it's also the only place to get coin items.

can't really help with the fishing. i hate fishing and i don't ever do it unless in the quests that require it, on my way to clearing it out. look for resource maps at gamefaqs or the wikia

edit: oh yeah, i'm still looking for my first rathalos plate since my last post... plaaaaaaaaaaatessssssss, damn youuuuuuuu

Poyunch

Yeah you get different arena coins from arena quests which can be used to forge arena weapons, special armors, and some other weapons.

Boogiepop

Just got to the fifth level quests and... I can just tell that this powderstone quest is going to drive me insane. I mean, god damn.

Poyunch

I need to get back into this game but I've been on a console funk. >_< I don't feel like playing console games at all. X(
Mank said:
Just got to the fifth level quests and... I can just tell that this powderstone quest is going to drive me insane. I mean, god damn.
It's pretty easy. Just eat first to increase health and find an armor that has Heat Cancel. The common mining set is Leather+ gemmed in with Heat Cancel. That should be good enough. I also use a Quick Pro Transporter charm to speed up the run time.

Powderstone is just extremely boring to do alone.

r - b - x said:
can't really help with the fishing. i hate fishing and i don't ever do it unless in the quests that require it, on my way to clearing it out. look for resource maps at gamefaqs or the wikia[/URL

Fishing is extremely important for bomb-making. It's not so important offline but if you ever get online you should learn to fish because bombs can be extremely helpful in group hunts. And other stuff...

Boney

Banned
Mank said:
PunchEnvy covered the suggestions, but you don't even have to do it. I never did.

Pyrokai

Hi guys,

I still haven't played this game. Is the online environment still alive and fun to play with? I can't believe I haven't dived in yet :(

Boney

Banned
Pyrokai said:
Hi guys,

I still haven't played this game. Is the online environment still alive and fun to play with? I can't believe I haven't dived in yet :(
If you wanna play with GAF, you'd have to arrange a meeting because there shouldn't be many left. Can't say for the regular community because I played exclusively with Gaffers.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
There are usually a lot of randoms online, even during the mid-weekday. You shouldn't have any issues finding people to level up with.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Finally got Tri w/ Pro Dongle Controller. It's my first experience with the series.

Impressions from first play session:

• They did a phenomenal job with the introductory quests, teaching all the basics while providing engaging tasks.
  • The combat is great - even the early critters are a lot of fun to fight. Maybe its just because I've been playing so much Cataclysm, but I felt like I was fighting creatures with actual brains.
  • Visuals are so good - I love the environment work and the dinosaur/tribal setting. So refreshing.

My only gripe is with the translation - its TERRRRRRRIBLE. (just kidding, great job with the words 8-4!)

Will definitely play a ton more this weekend, which is a great sign in my crowded life.

PounchEnvy said:
Fishing is extremely important for bomb-making. It's not so important offline but if you ever get online you should learn to fish because bombs can be extremely helpful in group hunts. And other stuff...
Couldn't you just use the fishing boats to get those ingredients? I haven't used too many bombs myself but I've amassed quite a few fish from those boats since I'm tending the farm on the side anyway.

Hiltz

Flooded Forest area 4 has a good fishing spot in the front next to a small patch of grass on the shore.

Once I get my Wii back from being repaired (probably another week from now), I'd be willing to help new players out online. That is, if you've got the North American version of the game.

Proven

Little Green Yoda said:
Couldn't you just use the fishing boats to get those ingredients? I haven't used too many bombs myself but I've amassed quite a few fish from those boats since I'm tending the farm on the side anyway.

This is what I did. And this is what SocialDissonance also recommends.

upandaway

Little Green Yoda said:
I have about 400 Scatterfish just from the boats. Aside from the Goldenfish quests and Gobul, I never once fished.

I already finished single player though, so I dunno what I'll do now. I am completely lost without my farm. Suddenly money is a problem and I need to ask for honey before every quest. How do I massively acquire honey online?

Tenbatsu

upandaway said:
I have about 400 Scatterfish just from the boats. Aside from the Goldenfish quests and Gobul, I never once fished.

I already finished single player though, so I dunno what I'll do now. I am completely lost without my farm. Suddenly money is a problem and I need to ask for honey before every quest. How do I massively acquire honey online?
Prepare alot of Sharpened Fang and look for the boy at the shop to exchange for 5 honey/Sharpened Fang.

Remfin

upandaway said:

If you have single-player done you need to abuse the crap out of it. It's a great way to get ahead.

Throw blue mushrooms/herbs in the farm (with fertilizer), fishing fleet to the 3rd location (with harpoons or whatever they are), go Free Hunt for 2+ minutes (advance the clock), sleep, repeat.

Now you have tons of potions (no money spent), tons of barter items to trade for Sharpened Fangs (to use with online trader for Honey, some other stuff too IIRC), tons of fish for Resource Points, and whatever else you spent your Free Hunt time on. Cooking meat, gathering spider webs/frogs/meat/dung, hunting Jaggi and Ludroth for Resource Points, etc...

upandaway

Remfin said:
If you have single-player done you need to abuse the crap out of it. It's a great way to get ahead.

Throw blue mushrooms/herbs in the farm (with fertilizer), fishing fleet to the 3rd location (with harpoons or whatever they are), go Free Hunt for 2+ minutes (advance the clock), sleep, repeat.

Now you have tons of potions (no money spent), tons of barter items to trade for Sharpened Fangs (to use with online trader for Honey, some other stuff too IIRC), tons of fish for Resource Points, and whatever else you spent your Free Hunt time on. Cooking meat, gathering spider webs/frogs/meat/dung, hunting Jaggi and Ludroth for Resource Points, etc...
Each Stormsender Seed can almost buy me 2 potions (minus 2z), so it's better to put seeds in the farm instead. But I still want to fully graduate into online sometime.

I guess I'll do it for a while.

EDIT: 300 honey, 100 sharpened fang, 146k moneys. That's enough of that.

Stormsender Seeds sell for 130z and if you buy potions in bulk when they're on sale (Argosy or Jhen promo) they cost 33z apiece. So you can almost get 4 potions for each seed sold.

I've amassed a ton of money with the Poached Wyvern Egg quest the past few days though. Got a cool 1.3 million to spare :lol. I'm just going to farm a crapton of Flashbugs instead of Stormsender Seeds since I'm always running low on Flash Bombs.

Depends on what type of gamer you are, but for most people the answer is yes. If you're the type of person who likes to go in button mashing without trying to figure out boss patterns, you're going to die constantly.

Poyunch

Gosh I've been so out of it that I forgot about fishing boats. Usually when I played offline I did fishing while waiting for the fish boats. :lol

upandaway

Does the attack that breaks a body part do x2 damage or something like that?

If not, it really should. Like trying to guess when you did enough damage to a part and then putting a bomb/charge hoping to god it'll break the part and get do free damage. Maybe even try and set it up so that you'll wake him up from a sleep with that same attack.
Using the Dragonator to break Ceadeus' horn, building up a huge multiplayer with a GS charge+crit draw+might pill etc etc... I get chills just from thinking about it.

Phatcorns

So I've been playing for a while now with my regular disc copy, but I just got homebrew set up and am in the process of installing all my games to a hard drive.

Can I still play online with my copy backed up to a hard drive or does Capcom have any detection systems in place?

EDIT: And just in case anybody thinks I'm a pirate, I'd be glad to post a picture of my disc with newspaper or whatever kidnapping proof you need.

Disguises

Phatcorns said:
So I've been playing for a while now with my regular disc copy, but I just got homebrew set up and am in the process of installing all my games to a hard drive.

Can I still play online with my copy backed up to a hard drive or does Capcom have any detection systems in place?

EDIT: And just in case anybody thinks I'm a pirate, I'd be glad to post a picture of my disc with newspaper or whatever kidnapping proof you need.
As far as I know, it should be ok. I've been playing mostly from hard drive and have had no problems :).

Top Bottom