• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Yay! Can't wait to play that giant Deviljho! (have been on again off again with tri for a bit...the other quests never intrigued me as much a the Giant one I had wanted since I saw it...!)

Proven

Hiltz said:
Have you guys tried out the "World Eater" quest featuring a gigantic Deviljho ? He isn't so bad but he sure can cover a lot of ground now that he is twice as big! I only beat him once so far but shock and pitfall traps still work on him. Rewards are the same just more of them.

I had a pretty cool moment last night during an Alatreon quest. I was fooling around by placing a single Barrel Bomb L+ in the middle of the area while Alatreon was busy chasing after the other players, not knowing that it was 1 hit from being killed. Then it turns around and charges across the area right at me. Without hestitating, I quickly rush over to the bomb and swing at it with my weapon to trigger the explosive right in its face. Boom! My 20th slayed Alatreon meets a nasty end. What a sweet moment it was.

Final monster moments can often be epic. My favorite most recent one was visiting a friend's house two weeks ago and playing a few quick offline arena challenges. We were both really rusty, but brute forced our way through Barroth anyway. Then we decided Uragann, with me taking the SnS and him taking the Bowgun. Unfortunately, we underestimated how much defense those armors had since we usually use mixed versions along with defense talons and such, and died. Multiple times.

At the end, I had died once, he had died three times, and one more death would me failing the arena quest. So I decided to finally lay down the trap I had been saving for when he would get exhausted, and found the moment when my friend walked in from the respawn and ate a roll attack that brought him to under half health. Uragann then turned to face me rolled right into my trap. My friend ran over as fast as he could, while I merrily set down my two LBB+. He set down one of his, but I had an itchy trigger finger and reflexively dropped down the Small Barrel to detonate. He didn't notice, and while the fuse was seconds away from going off, he spent his last moments dropping his second LBB+

I whispered "Sorry..." and ran for my life.

Luckily, that was enough to kill Ura before it registered my friend dying.

Boney

Banned
Little Green Yoda said:
I would join but I'm not HR51+ yet. :<

plus regular Jho gives me fits already
Aww.. too bad man.

Was trying to fight it on my own. Pretty sure he's easier than regular ones :(

Boney said:
Aww.. too bad man.

Was trying to fight it on my own. Pretty sure he's easier than regular ones :(

Just got home from work and craving a cheeseburger like a maniac. I'll hop on in an hour or two once I get back. I'll post here before I hop on and we can slay the beast if you're still up for it. I definitely want to give him a try. All hammers again? :lol

Hiltz

Haha, it sounds like your arena fight was a close call, Proven. It's situations like that when I always hope the other players carry life powder or at least, a health horn with them to save my ass.

I don't have to go to work until Thursday so I spent around 5 hours playing online to help some low level hunters. I enjoy helping them, but man does it consume a lot of one's resources! I'm down to 1 Godbug (started out with 76 of them) which I'll need to farm offline to make more life crystals. Too bad online mode doesn't offer a farm feature. :/

Boney

Banned
Chopper Dave said:
Just got home from work and craving a cheeseburger like a maniac. I'll hop on in an hour or two once I get back. I'll post here before I hop on and we can slay the beast if you're still up for it. I definitely want to give him a try. All hammers again? :lol
Are you up for it babe?

Boney

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
Joezilla is not that hard actually.
Yeah it's easier than regular one. Was fighting it meself, only potions and my trusty gs. Ran out of pots at right near the end though. Doubt I could've killed it as well.

Oh well, full room atm, but there's a non gaffer so leave a message if you wanna join.

God damn, a disc error :/

Doorman

Man it sucks to be this late to the game. All this talk about giant-sized event quests and here I am celebrating my new HR 4. :lol

Random curiosity thing, but does anyone around here have much gunning experience? My current set of weapons doesn't look like it's going to be able to upgrade very soon and I figured it might at least give me something to tool around with while chugging through some of these earlier online quests. I doubt it's something I'd get into full time, but as it stands it feels like there's a big portion of the game that I'm missing out on to an extent.

Poyunch

Aww had to leave right when you got on Lance. :( Anyway Vindictus made me soft. This game is much more challenging. You can usually spam spears to take down bosses in Vindictus but not in Monster Hunter. :lol
Doorman said:
Man it sucks to be this late to the game. All this talk about giant-sized event quests and here I am celebrating my new HR 4. :lol

Random curiosity thing, but does anyone around here have much gunning experience? My current set of weapons doesn't look like it's going to be able to upgrade very soon and I figured it might at least give me something to tool around with while chugging through some of these earlier online quests. I doubt it's something I'd get into full time, but as it stands it feels like there's a big portion of the game that I'm missing out on to an extent.
Ask Jason/Chopper Dave or Boney/Ace.

About 45 hours in. Slowly making my way through the Moga Village stuff, occasionally dipping in City stuff (still 1star lol).

Holy shit, is it just me or is Diablos much harder in Tri than Freedom Unite? Kept running out of time/getting my ass handed to me. Finally beat him though tonight. 10 sonic bombs at the beginning tipped the hunt in my favor.

Oh yeah and:

Steel set
Guard +2
Auto Guard
Speed Sharpening
SnS

SO MUCH FUN!!! :D

Hiltz

I've been playing Tri for hours every day for close to 3 months now. Just stopped playing around 10 minutes ago. Almost at hunter rank 128 but took a break to watch Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom on USA channel. I'll be on later tonight.

Curse you, Alatreon! I just need 1 stupid Skypiercer item and after 7 completed quests of blowing off his horns, but not a single one has appeared on the rewards screen. Man, it's hard enough to find good bow gunners! I suppose it could a lot worse like having to get an Alatreon wing or tail. :/

Congratulations on your Diablos quest, AgentOtaku. It's hard to beat him with sword and shield due to the weaker raw attack power and very difficult to chop off his tail (by the way, he's weak to ice element f you didn't know). On the bright side, the weapon makes it easy to get underneath him so you avoid being trampled on. I had a similar problem in the beginning running out of time fighting Barroth using water-based sword and shield.

The only problem with him is that he can use his dig move on you at least two times in a row without a chance to recover from the previous one. Although,it's been a while since he's done that to me.

depward

As a big MH fan... is it worth purchasing the Tri bundle and borrowing a Wii to play? I'm also particularly interested in online - lots of people still playing? Lots of low'ish levels players, too?

Boney

Banned
depward said:
As a big MH fan... is it worth purchasing the Tri bundle and borrowing a Wii to play? I'm also particularly interested in online - lots of people still playing? Lots of low'ish levels players, too?
If you're a big MH fan, do you really need to ask? It has less content than FU, but the second analog is a god send. Streamlines the experience nicely and it looks beautiful. I'm sure there are plenty of low level guys, not sure how Gaf is on levels atm.

Luigiv

AgentOtaku said:
About 45 hours in. Slowly making my way through the Moga Village stuff, occasionally dipping in City stuff (still 1star lol).

Holy shit, is it just me or is Diablos much harder in Tri than Freedom Unite? Kept running out of time/getting my ass handed to me. Finally beat him though tonight. 10 sonic bombs at the beginning tipped the hunt in my favor.

Oh yeah and:

Steel set
Guard +2
Auto Guard
Speed Sharpening
SnS

SO MUCH FUN!!! :D
Yeah, Diablos is way more brutal in Tri. He's much faster and his attack patterns are more calculated. Old Diablos is piss by comparison.

Doorman

depward said:
Well I've put some decent time in offline, but online I'm still only a HR 4 and haven't devoted much to it. I'm still not sure what the population's like in terms of other public people doing the low-level quests though.

Proven

depward said:

If you can't wait for Portable 3rd, then sure. You're borrowing the Wii, so you're only spending about $40 for what should give at least 100 hours of playtime. There's still a lot of people playing online these days.

depward said:
Plenty of people to play with, especially at peak hours. I started playing this about 2 months ago and didn't have problems finding people of comparable rank to quest with at all.

Recent pricedrops and the holiday season should bring in more MH3 players too.

Poyunch

Hiltz said:
I've been playing Tri for hours every day for close to 3 months now. Just stopped playing around 10 minutes ago. Almost at hunter rank 128 but took a break to watch Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom on USA channel. I'll be on later tonight.

Curse you, Alatreon! I just need 1 stupid Skypiercer item and after 7 completed quests of blowing off his horns, but not a single one has appeared on the rewards screen. Man, it's hard enough to find good bow gunners! I suppose it could a lot worse like having to get an Alatreon wing or tail. :/ .
It's going to take more than 7 quests, man. :lol

upandaway

I just beat Diablos, Uragaan, Ceadeus AND Agnaktor on the first try for all of them. I used the Tusk Lance+ and the Undertaker.

Is the lance far more legendary and incredible than I realized? I mean, damn. I wasn't even overprepared or anything, I just wanted to see the cutscene. Didn't even know how they looked like beforehand.

Kind of... underwhelming.

Although, it did help that Agnaktor was a bit similar to Lagiacrus on land. I guess I'm reaching the point where skills are transferrable between monsters.

upandaway said:
Is the lance far more legendary and incredible than I realized? I mean, damn. I wasn't even overprepared or anything, I just wanted to see the cutscene. Didn't even know how they looked like beforehand.
The lance is the best weapon type in the game. Doubly so for the Sabretooth weapon path you're on.

Great game, I have MH2 on my PSP but this game is so dang fun. Couple of questions, can you only hunt in free mode (with out a quest) in moga woods or can you go to the sandy plain and or D woods?? Also if you don’t have the wii speak is there no way to communicate on-line?

Boney

Banned
Yep, lances are overpowered as hell. Great damage and the best defensive tools.

tekkenmasterAC said:
Great game, I have MH2 on my PSP but this game is so dang fun. Couple of questions, can you only hunt in free mode (with out a quest) in moga woods or can you go to the sandy plain and or D woods?? Also if you don’t have the wii speak is there no way to communicate on-line?
You can only do free hunts in Moga Woods, but there are special quests called Harvest Tour that don't involve any specific challenge and can be cleared anytime you want. No materials for resources though, just regular materials.

As for comunication, you can plug your own USB keyboard (that's what we all do) or type through a virtual one.

Boney said:
As for comunication, you can plug your own USB keyboard (that's what we all do) or type through a virtual one.
I use my PS3 as a headset when playing Tri, but that obviously only works when playing with friends (who also own PS3s).

upandaway

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
The lance is the best weapon type in the game. Doubly so for the Sabretooth weapon path you're on.
Speaking of which, I think I have too many active weapon paths. I have about a line and a half of items in the box that I'm constantly using and upgrading. At least 5 lances (6 soon with the Agnaktor lance), 3 hammers, 2 axes, 3 long swords, Ddjin... probably forgetting something. Plus another line or so of weapons that I don't use but want to upgrade to something I'll use.

Gives me something to do when I'm replaying quests online, so I guess that's a good thing.

Proven

upandaway said:
Speaking of which, I think I have too many active weapon paths. I have about a line and a half of items in the box that I'm constantly using and upgrading. At least 5 lances (6 soon with the Agnaktor lance), 3 hammers, 2 axes, 3 long swords, Ddjin... probably forgetting something. Plus another line or so of weapons that I don't use but want to upgrade to something I'll use.

Gives me something to do when I'm replaying quests online, so I guess that's a good thing.
I honestly wished I went into more weapon paths when I was lower ranked. Would have learned more weapons in earnest, and would be more interested in fighting monsters I would otherwise dislike fighting. Now I'm disinterested in anything that isn't SnS or Hammer related.

Llyranor

We just found out while trying to connect that the game is region-specific. Can a user in Europe buy the NTSC and play with a North Am player with the NTSC version, or is playing across continents simply impossible?

Hiltz

Llyranor said:
We just found out while trying to connect that the game is region-specific. Can a user in Europe buy the NTSC and play with a North Am player with the NTSC version, or is playing across continents simply impossible?

I don' think you will be able to do that given Nintendo's stubborn region-specific policy.

tekkenmasterAC said:
Also if you don’t have the wii speak is there no way to communicate on-line?

There's a couple of ways to communicate online. Wii Speak honestly sucks so let's forget about that option. The onscreen virtual keyboard is the main source of communication between players. As someone already mentioned, you can use a usb keyboard which is really the best option.The thing is, the virtual keyboard is just slow and fairly clunky to type with using the Classic Controller Pro but it is managable... but it can be frusterating when trying to type in the middle of battle. Also, you can select from a list of pre-determined phrases and emote.

PounchEnvy said:
It's going to take more than 7 quests, man. :lol

Oh, I know that. :D Those are just the amount of times I tried to get that item during that week. I've fight him over 25 times in total according to the recorded monster hunting list. I forged the Escadora armor set first followed by the dark claw long sword and upgraded it and then forged the dark switch axe.

ShinNL

Llyranor said:
If you have a homebrew enabled Wii you can launch titles from other regions (the Wii normally isn't region-free) and if I remember correctly, makes you able to connect to different server regions if you have the correct disc region. I believe some people here on GAF do this.

Kinosen

Neo Member
Wow, just had my best night of Monster Hunter ever so far. I was HR 7 and was doing a Ludroth quest with 3 others when a Rathian showed up. I had seen it before, but this was the first time I actually took it on with people, it was amazing. Its size, roar, damage, just terrorizing.

We beat it and the Ludroth which brings me to HR 8 and unlocks the Barroth event quest, which was also awesome. We did that quest twice but it said something like 'Cannot proceed to next HR.' Maybe I have to initiate the quest myself. Even so, it's times like these when I really understand the appeal of these games. :D

I'll probably be on tomorrow night starting at 7-8ish EST if any lower HR hunters want to play, my ID is 2GCBWR.

Hiltz

Kinosen said:
Wow, just had my best night of Monster Hunter ever so far. I was HR 7 and was doing a Ludroth quest with 3 others when a Rathian showed up. I had seen it before, but this was the first time I actually took it on with people, it was amazing. Its size, roar, damage, just terrorizing.

We beat it and the Ludroth which brings me to HR 8 and unlocks the Barroth event quest, which was also awesome. We did that quest twice but it said something like 'Cannot proceed to next HR.' Maybe I have to initiate the quest myself. Even so, it's times like these when I really understand the appeal of these games. :D

I'll probably be on tomorrow night starting at 7-8ish EST if any lower HR hunters want to play, my ID is 2GCBWR.

Did you do all of the "Key" Quests ? Level 1 city rank key quests are "Sunken Treasure" (deliver 15 red cora stonesl), "Help the Hunter" (hunt Great Jaggi), "Playing with Fire" (hunt Qurupeco), "No Guts ,No Glory (deliver 10 monster guts), and "The Fisherman's Tale" (hunt Royal Ludroth). Once you do those then post your own urgent quest for Barroth. If you simply join someone else's urgent Barroth quest, then you won't be able to increase your Hunter Rank and continue to level 2 city rank quests.

Nicktals

Banned
upandaway said:
Speed Gatherer + Pro Transporter + Felyne Bombardier

Gonna rip that Jhen a new asshole!

I still meant to try some solo jhen runs before basically moving on for good. Developed a few different sets to try it with. Maybe sometime soon.

Akainu

I fought a Rathian the other day. It was ridiculously easy. A lot easier than the first one I fought in United. Or is it just me.

I like how I'm fighting a boss monster and another boss monster just show up out of the blue. It happened when fighting a Great Baggi and a Gigginox showed up and it happened again when fighting a Barroth and Great Jaggi and a Qurupeco came swooping down. Does this happen in MH 3rd?

Kinosen

Neo Member
Hiltz said:
Did you do all of the "Key" Quests ? Level 1 city rank key quests are "Sunken Treasure" (deliver 15 red cora stonesl), "Help the Hunter" (hunt Great Jaggi), "Playing with Fire" (hunt Qurupeco), "No Guts ,No Glory (deliver 10 monster guts), and "The Fisherman's Tale" (hunt Royal Ludroth). Once you do those then post your own urgent quest for Barroth. If you simply join someone else's urgent Barroth quest, then you won't be able to increase your Hunter Rank and continue to level 2 city rank quests.

Yeah, I figured that I had to initiate the quest, now I'm HR 9 and I'm going to upgrade all my stuff before taking on the more serious 2* quests.

Tenbatsu

Nicktals said:
I still meant to try some solo jhen runs before basically moving on for good. Developed a few different sets to try it with. Maybe sometime soon.
Good luck. I only see one japanese solo high lvl Jhen with Adrenaline +2 skill. I think that skill is a must for solo.

Been trying to pick up the lance lately since I wanted to try out non-SnS weapons and the lance happened to be the only "worn" weapon I've been able to get from Ancientshards. The lack of mobility compared to the SnS is pretty annoying and I'm struggling to find the best spots to position myself against monsters that move around often (like Rathian/Rathalos). I tried staying near the center of an area so I can reach every spot more easily but it's still nearly impossible to catch up to monsters that go back and forth. When Rathian/Rathalos charge, they go right past my block so I don't think the counterattack works for that
correct me if I'm wrong; still trying to incorporate countering in my game - is this where Guard +2 or w/e comes in?
. Also tried sheathe/run/unsheathe but the animation for sheathing/unsheathing is quite slow and most of the time I prefer the diagonal thrust to the horizontal draw thrust anyway.

Seems like 90+% of my hits come when the monster is tired or trapped. The openings I took advantage of when using the SnS close up by the time I reach the monster while lancing. >:[

Top Bottom