• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Nicktals

Banned
upandaway said:
The game is still insanely convoluted though. That's the niche it can't get out of. I myself have no idea how MH could be less convoluted.. it's almost necessary.

Explaining items, where/how they can be found, and what they combine to make would make a huge difference. I mean, if everyone who takes the game seriously is going online or looking at a guide, then what's the point in keeping that stuff hidden? Certainly keep some of it hidden, but there's no need for all of that to be 'exploration' based.

pje122

Is it possible... to kill Gobul with a Commander's Dagger and Great Jaggi Armor+ ? I have Attack Up (M) as well...
Time keeps running out on me... :(

Tenbatsu

pje122 said:
Is it possible... to kill Gobul with a Commander's Dagger and Great Jaggi Armor+ ? I have Attack Up (M) as well...
It's possible. Do you have G bombs with you to speed up the process?

Nicktals

Banned
pje122 said:
I don't know what G bombs are... did I have to read a small blurb of text from an NPC to find this out...?

large bombs +...combine a large bomb with a scatterfish (I believe) to make one. Does more damage than a regular large bomb (+ items were called G items in the Japanese release, which tenbatsu is a master of.)

Nicktals

Banned
pje122 said:
Can you only fish him in area 4? I tried fishing him when he was in area 8 and it wouldn't prompt me to cast.

Yeah, only area 4. Use a frog, if you didn't know. I believe you can gather frogs in area 2 of FF.

robox

i've maintained for a long time that monhun really is an inherently obtuse game. there's so many subsystems in it that it would be arduous to go through the nuances of each of them. myself personally, i wouldn't have been able to get into it if i didn't have my friend mentoring me through the game. and i think that's really how to explain the success of the series thus far in japan: it's a really social game. if someone you know is already playing the game, it's much easier to get into. (is this the replacement for WoW/other mmo's in japan?)

i mean, who wants to learn the game by constantly reading tiny little text blurbs? even big cartoon diagrams would be way better to get people into it. once i got into the game, the basic rules and processes, i spend a whole buncha time reading in-depth faqs to maximize my effectiveness, such as learning about armor skills and combos, monster hitzone and elemental weaknesses, damage calculations, maps of resource gathering locations, etc.

sure tri has many some advances in regards to tutorials, but i can understand how a total neophyte would still get lost.

pje122 said:

are you doing village or city?
Great Jaggi Armor+ suggests you're at hr31+ ? and doing it solo?
to solo online, i think it'd require one to maximize the effectiveness of items + skill. bombs is one way. traps, attack boosts, flash/sonic bombs, etc etc.
time is one of the limiting factors to soloing. failing a quest due to time, means you know what to do, and not being totally reckless. but may also mean you're not aggressive enough. doing quests solo is a topic of interest for me, since that's how i played through most of the portable iterations.

in an anecdote somewhat related to points the above, i've seen some dudes online at hr50 still running around with armor that only gives 1 skill. like marathon runner or something.

pje122 said:
Wow... I just beat him...
Somehow this game is amazing and terrible at the same time...

edit: oh yeah, this game is a total love hate relationship. despite all the beatdowns taken during failures, one success makes it feel tolerable; makes you want to do it all over again. it doesn't help though, that the 1 success NEVER GIVES YOU ENOUGH MATERIALS TO CRAFT THAT NEXT EQUIPMENT!! so you have to.

pje122

By Great Jaggi Armor+ I just meant that I had a regular Great Jaggi set with each piece upgraded with an armor sphere... I guess what I wrote actually means something else entirely... I think I'm at HR4.

pje122 said:
By Great Jaggi Armor+ I just meant that I had a regular Great Jaggi set with each piece upgraded with an armor sphere... I guess what I wrote actually means something else entirely... I think I'm at HR4.
You're getting your terms mixed up again. Offline, the Village quests available to you are determined entirely by what quests you've previously beaten. You just beat offline Gobul, so you're on the 4* tier of Village Quests.

Online, the quests available are determined by your Hunter Rank (HR), which is increased by finishing quests to gain Hunter Rank Points (HRP). Since I don't think you've done the online portion yet, you're still HR0.

Also, Gobul is a complete bitch to fight, so congrats on beating him.

upandaway

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Also, Gobul is a complete bitch to fight, so congrats on beating him.
Not with the lance! Hurr durr. I think I beat him first try with that thing. Fucking lance man.

Also worth noting, Gobul is a complete joke on land. You should be able to easily down two thirds his health just by fishing him out.

upandaway said:
Not with the lance! Hurr durr. I think I beat him first try with that thing. Fucking lance man.

Also worth noting, Gobul is a complete joke on land. You should be able to easily down two thirds his health just by fishing him out.
I beat him first try with the lance too, but I spent the entire fight gritting my teeth because he'd always decide to walk/swim just out of lance reach... then roll on top of me. Fuck Gobul forever.

pje122

No, I have done the online portion. I convinced/tricked three of my friends to pick up the game with me and we're all playing through together starting from HR 0.

Hiltz

There's some good news from Capcom for Western fans of the franchise !

“All I can say is, the future for Monster Hunter fans in the west will be bright, but just as there was a sizeable gap between Freedom Unite and [Portable] 2nd, I think there’s going to be a little bit of a gap [following Monster Hunter Tri]. And exactly what form it takes, I can’t speak to — I have to unfortunately stay mum. But fear not, you guys have more goodness coming in the future.” - Vice-president of Strategic Planning & Business Development, Christian Svensson

Boney

Banned
Hiltz said:

“All I can say is, the future for Monster Hunter fans in the west will be bright, but just as there was a sizeable gap between Freedom Unite and [Portable] 2nd, I think there’s going to be a little bit of a gap [following Monster Hunter Tri]. And exactly what form it takes, I can’t speak to — I have to unfortunately stay mum. But fear not, you guys have more goodness coming in the future.” - Vice-president of Strategic Planning & Business Development, Christian Svensson
Hmm

Frontier for a western release?

upandaway said:

Because of this I have so little experience fighting Gobul underwater. Most quests it gets fished out and beaten up on land so much that it doesn't take many hits in Area 3 before it goes to Area 8 where it gets capped.

But every now and then, some idiot decides to jump in the water before it gets fished out and the fight takes twice as long as it should. :/

BooJoh

Hiltz said:

Source?

Tenbatsu

If they are bringing over MHP3rd, I recommend some of you guys to skip it totally. It's just a simplified version for the casuals. For me, I am playing it because of my friends.

MH3 Tri is still the pinnacle of the series.

Hiltz

BooJoh said:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/2...s-bright-for-monster-hunter-fans-in-the-west/

Little Green Yoda said:
Because of this I have so little experience fighting Gobul underwater. Most quests it gets fished out and beaten up on land so much that it doesn't take many hits in Area 3 before it goes to Area 8 where it gets capped.

But every now and then, some idiot decides to jump in the water before it gets fished out and the fight takes twice as long as it should. :/

If I'm not mistaken, you can still fish Gobul out of the water, but you have to wait by going to another area and coming back to try again. Problem is, Gobul may get impatient and go to area 3 by the time you come back to fish it out of area 4. Gobul may return to area 4 even if this happens.

Boney

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
If they are bringing over MHP3rd, I recommend some of you guys to skip it totally. It's just a simplified version for the casuals. For me, I am playing it because of my friends.

Unite is already easy as shit. Is this one easier?

Hiltz

I think the trouble Capcom has is that it needs to promote the hell out of the games in order to solve the niche appeal of the franchise overseas. MH Tri's marketing was impressive but Capcom had to put in a lot of resources into it.

Tenbatsu

Boney said:
Unite is already easy as shit. Is this one easier?
Not sure about unite as I never play it. In MHP3rd, a full set Jaggi armor without any upgrade is ample for the whole of the Village Elder quests (except for the final mission) and online HR1 - 4/5.

Tenbatsu said:

Not really interested in learning to 'claw' so I'll eagerly await the next console iteration. Or the PSP2 version(s).

Is it simplified because they expect you to play through most of the content alone due to the lack of a unified online infrastructure?
a Wii game with better online than its counterparts? lol wat?
Or maybe you've just gotten better at the series overall?

Hiltz said:
If I'm not mistaken, you can still fish Gobul out of the water, but you have to wait by going to another area and coming back to try again. Problem is, Gobul may get impatient and go to area 3 by the time you come back to fish it out of area 4. Gobul may return to area 4 even if this happens.
Problem is, the idiot who created the situation in the first place isn't even going to listen to the other players telling him to get back on land. Getting that person to leave the area before Gobul leaves for Area 3 isn't an easy task.

Riposte

Can someone explain to me what exactly is being talked about when they say a Monster Hunter entry is dumbed down? I jumped on for Tri, so I am pretty clueless. Is it more than just the effect that yoiu get with a second stick?

upandaway

Me and my friend are also online right now (I'm Alon). On the EU servers. We're in Expert -> Veteran 2 -> City Gate 2 -> City 4

Edit: Welp, we're done, his internet is screwing up again

I am pleased to say that despite an absence of a few months I did not embarrass myself. I'll jump on again over the weekend sometime in the afternoon. I'll post a notice when I do.

jercruz

Finally after weeks of being stuck in HR50 and being shoo'd away by > HR50 players, 3 awesome >HR50 players finally took pity on me and helped me slay Alatreon!

They still cant believe that its been 4 weeks I've been stuck at HR50 and the treatment I got from some >HR50 players ("look a HR50 lol, GTFO loser!" for example). I'm in the EU servers BTW.

Now to forge better armor/weapons to take on Deviljho :)

Apenheul

Spent 5 hours trying to help someone beat Alatreon and everytime someone on the team would die three times, burned through all my lifepowers & health horns and still haven't beaten him :)

upandaway

Anyone up for some event Poached Eggs farming for rust or ancient shards? I got a few vouchers too so if I get Lander I could host the meal. It's a high rank-only quest though.

Edit: argh I need to go anyway. Well there goes that.

Edit: or... not. I'm up for it again if anyone's interested. The room is Veteran1-Gate3-City3

And we're done. I got 3 rusted lances when I already got one way before. Fucking rust shards fuck.

However, something INCREDIBLE happened. We did a Double Trouble quest, and I was stupid and brave enough to go at it with my low-rank Baggi armor (every small charge got half my life off), with the Jaggi mask.

Of the three reward items I got for capturing Rathian, two of them were plates. Two plates in one go. It was so, SO worth it to go with that Baggi armor. I ended up wasting both plates on the Rathalos hammer.

I'm heading online to hunt whatever. Especially anything weak to water because that stupid whale finally dropped a deep dragongem for me and I got my freaking Cedeus Switchaxe.

Nicktals

Banned
DragonGirl said:
I'm heading online to hunt whatever. Especially anything weak to water because that stupid whale finally dropped a deep dragongem for me and I got my freaking Cedeus Switchaxe.

I just hopped on too.

pje122

Why is it that sometimes when you harvest or gather certain items (such as iron ore) it makes a tone/chime that is different than usual? There doesn't seem to be anything special about iron ore to me...

pje122 said:
Why is it that sometimes when you harvest or gather certain items (such as iron ore) it makes a tone/chime that is different than usual? There doesn't seem to be anything special about iron ore to me...
The chime means the item you just gathered was in your memo pad. It's a little reminder to let you know you picked up something that you marked earlier (probably because you needed the item for forging/upgrading).

pje122

Hmm... OK... didn't realize that. I guess I'll delete all these entries...
Any idea how you add items to this list?

pje122 said:
Hmm... OK... didn't realize that. I guess I'll delete all these entries...
Any idea how you add items to this list?
When you're at the blacksmith, point the Wiimote at the screen and hold B. Highlight the ingredient you want to add, press A, and drag it to the box in the lower right corner of the screen. The game does mention it during the tutorial but it's not really explained very clearly.

It's basically the same thing as adding monster entries to your logbook. The chime isn't all that helpful in my opinion (getting the item in the quest rewards screen won't trigger any chime) but the memo pad is still good for tracking all the materials you need if you're trying to upgrade/forge multiple things.

Akainu

Why do people come into cities that say "solo play" and ask people to join them in quest? I almost feel like jerk when I refuse them.

Hi guys, is it just me or there's no more Wisdom server? Anyone care to babysit an old noobie? I'm in Greed 4/40/40

I miss my fishing/arena crew :(

jercruz

Akainu said:
Why do people come into cities that say "solo play" and ask people to join them in quest? I almost feel like jerk when I refuse them.
Most probably its the newbies that does that. The other are the desperate 5 star urgent players... Seeing you are going solo prob means you are an awesome player, and they want you in their group.

Either way i just leave and make a new room.

Nicktals

Banned
Alien Manobo said:
Hi guys, is it just me or there's no more Wisdom server? Anyone care to babysit an old noobie? I'm in Greed 4/40/40

I miss my fishing/arena crew :(

ZNARFY! Me and khory have been getting on pretty regularly the last week. when will you be available today? I'm off all day.

Nicktals

Banned
I don't even remember. They got rid of about half of them, and they're all so strange and scary.

Just let me know when you're heading on...I'll be unavailable from 7-9 eastern, but any other time is good.

I remembered that I can plug my Wii to the pc. Took a bit of work but I'm on now with some non-GAF(?) players. Greed4/40/40 1 slot left.

If any other NA-GAF wants to play with us, we can just move to a different city.

Insaniac

Alien Manobo said:
I remembered that I can plug my Wii to the pc. Took a bit of work but I'm on now with some non-GAF(?) players. Greed4/40/40 1 slot left.

If any other NA-GAF wants to play with us, we can just move to a different city.
i'm on helpin some noobs

Top Bottom