• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

This game is cruel. I finally got my Rathalos Ruby yesterday (after 5 Ian Rubys, 13 Los Plates, and countless runs of Double Trouble) and upgraded my fire SnS. Didn't fight Rathalos again until today and the tail carve drops a ruby on the first quest.

robox

i told myself i'd quit once i reached online high rank. but 40+ hours later, i'm at online 5* quest.... the game dangles a few low hanging fruits along the way and then i just go for them...
also feel like fighting the deviljho sometime, possibly soon, before i'm supposed to.

anyhoo, i've been wondering on the feasibility of doing the online quests solo, but i don't think the game is conducive for that; seems harder to do compared to mhfu to me.

r - b - x said:
i told myself i'd quit once i reached online high rank. but 40+ hours later, i'm at online 5* quest.... the game dangles a few low hanging fruits along the way and then i just go for them...
also feel like fighting the deviljho sometime, possibly soon, before i'm supposed to.

anyhoo, i've been wondering on the feasibility of doing the online quests solo, but i don't think the game is conducive for that; seems harder to do compared to mhfu to me.
Deviljho event just came up today so all high rank players can fight him. Soloing online quests is definitely doable but pretty tough once you're going up against the stronger monsters on high rank. Stuff like G. Jaggi/Baggi are straightforward enough though.

Looks like Capcom trimmed the fat on some of their servers. Original GAF server is no more so we'll have to come up with a different meeting spot if there is still enough GAF interest for MH3.

robox

tried the deviljho event quest, and it still hits pretty hard. will try again if i land in a good party.

there's a lot fewer people playing with the pared down server count. compared to the days leading up to it. maybe it's a psychological effect.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
r - b - x said:
tried the deviljho event quest, and it still hits pretty hard. will try again if i land in a good party.

there's a lot fewer people playing with the pared down server count. compared to the days leading up to it. maybe it's a psychological effect.

Bring traps, loads of them. Two traps (Pitfall, Shock), and the tools for make another two. Large + Bombs too if you can, and tools to make more during battle. And I might recommend Dung Bombs as well, especially if you're vulnerable enough to die in a few seconds once he starts eating you.

Things like Mega Dash Juice, and Demon Drug/Armor Skin will help as well.

In addition to what EvilMario said, bring Adamant Seeds to counteract his defense-down status. Unfortunately, it's hard to find a good random party for that event since the minimum HR requirement is so low.

Hiltz

Deviljho, I always hated fighting against him. Hardest monster in my opinion due to his his breath attack and shoulder slam. It's scary!

So is this event quest the same as the World Eater where you fight a giant-sized version of him?

Hiltz said:
Deviljho, I always hated fighting against him. Hardest monster in my opinion due to his his breath attack and shoulder slam. It's scary!

So is this event quest the same as the World Eater where you fight a giant-sized version of him?
Nah, just a regular cap Jho quest in the Flooded Forest.

He's very manageable with the lance but I haven't tried other weapons against him yet. Agreed wholeheartedly about the scary part though. No other monster goes batshit insane from one area to the next like Jho does. First time I fought him, I escaped to an adjacent area to heal. Except Jho comes charging in after me like a batshit lunatic out of hell and carts me. :(

pje122

Just started recently, almost on the two star quests...
Are the online/city quests different from the village/solo quests?

Poyunch

I haven't been playing much console games lately and I think it's because I spent my summer almost entirely on this. :p I hope Tri G is a reality, I want to hunt with you guys again. :(
pje122 said:
Just started recently, almost on the two star quests...
Are the online/city quests different from the village/solo quests?
Sort of. The star quests are more demanding online than they are offline if I remember correctly. By that I mean stuff you'll be asked to later on the game offline is asked earlier online.

Also the game doesn't balance for number of players so ua big mob offline will be weaker than one online.

pje122

PounchEnvy said:
I haven't been playing much console games lately and I think it's because I spent my summer almost entirely on this. :p I hope Tri G is a reality, I want to hunt with you guys again. :(

Sort of. The star quests are more demanding online than they are offline if I remember correctly. By that I mean stuff you'll be asked to later on the game offline is asked earlier online.

Also the game doesn't balance for number of players so ua big mob offline will be weaker than one online.
But if I complete an offline quest does the similar one get checked off for online?
I see the the first quests for both online and offline are gathering mushrooms. I've already done that offline, so I guess I have to do it again online?

Poyunch

Survey time! Now's the chance to get Tri G out somehow!!!
pje122 said:
But if I complete an offline quest does the similar one get checked off for online?
I see the the first quests for both online and offline are gathering mushrooms. I've already done that offline, so I guess I have to do it again online?
Yeah you'll have to do it again online.

Insaniac

A desperate plea for some High rank skilled hunters to help me finally dispatch my Alatreon urgent, I can't seem to get a good team online for the life of me! I can be online almost any time during the week.....

robox

haha, me too.... the monkey on my back, known as alatreon.

my best effort was actually when i 2-manned it with a dude at hr58. my third faint was at 10 minutes left T_T.
got an azure dragon gem outta the tail though.. those are precious..

^EU or US servers? If the latter, I wouldn't mind helping out next week.

pje122 said:
Yeah, you'd have to do it again if you want it checked off. But only certain quests are required to move on to the next set of quests. These key quests are all you need to activate your urgent before moving on to the next set. Most of the gather quests aren't required.

Pyrokai

Hey guys, I just started this game for the first time today. I played aout 2 hours so I'm not very far at all, but it's my first Monster Hunter game. I'm pretty intimidated but also excited. I have one friend who also has the game. Let me ask this: Should I go out and get Wii Speak for this game? Are Gaffers still playing this? I hope I'm not too late :(

Also, I hope the beginning is regarded as being pretty slow because it sure feels like it :lol . I'm certain it picks up, though. This franchise is huge for a reason, right? ;)

jercruz

How do i get rathalos plates?! Its the only piece left to complete my los+ set and its been weeks since i started capturing los for it. I heard rubies are harder but i have about 5 of them from grinding... *sigh*

Poyunch

Pyrokai said:
Let me ask this: Should I go out and get Wii Speak for this game? Are Gaffers still playing this? I hope I'm not too late :(
I never bothered with Wii Speak. I hated the sound quality. I don't know how active GAF is anymore but it definitely isn't as active as it used to be (at least judging from this thread).

jercruz said:
How do i get rathalos plates?! Its the only piece left to complete my los+ set and its been weeks since i started capturing los for it. I heard rubies are harder but i have about 5 of them from grinding... *sigh*
It's really random. Try capturing and cutting off tails. You'll get more drops from capturing and there's a chance you might get a plate from carving. That's just the way the game is. I never had to deal with los mats when I played but certain monster parts were stubborn for me.

upandaway

Pyrokai said:
Are Gaffers still playing this? I hope I'm not too late :(

Also, I hope the beginning is regarded as being pretty slow because it sure feels like it :lol . I'm certain it picks up, though. This franchise is huge for a reason, right? ;)
Me personally, starting the next hour I plan on being online for a good 4-5 hours. And if it works out it'll be this way every day this week hopefully. As for outside of GAF, you should still be able to do a 4-team really quickly in the popular city gates.

And it definitely starts slow but picks up. After a while, you'll start getting a new monster every quest (or every other quest).

PounchEnvy said:
Survey time! Now's the chance to get Tri G out somehow!!!
I came here to post the same thing, guess I'm a bit too late!

20. How important is custom quest creation functionality to Monster Hunter?

I'm sending checks to everyone who choose "necessity"
and Nintendo 3DS
. GET IN BOYS!

Hero of Legend said:
Did the survey. Hope for the best!
The Best = Monster Hunter 3G PS3/Wii and Monster Hunter 4 3DS.

Insaniac

Sammy Samusu said:

and Nintendo 3DS
. GET IN BOYS!

i came a little bit, thinking if this would become real...

depward

Filled out the survey. What I'm wondering is what's the point of the survey? Is Capcom USA going to use this as a way to try to get whatever is the most popular released in the U.S.? Is it just a, "Oh, we just want to see what people would like if we could" type of a deal?

depward said:
Filled out the survey. What I'm wondering is what's the point of the survey? Is Capcom USA going to use this as a way to try to get whatever is the most popular released in the U.S.? Is it just a, "Oh, we just want to see what people would like if we could" type of a deal?
Gonna guess the latter. Id take MH on any platform. But id perfer it on a console or NGP only because of the second stick. Some of us cant do the claw :(

Edit: Oh and regarding the Wiispeak it is absolutely TERRIBLE. A bunch of people got it when the game first came out here and pretty much everyone had nothing but bad things to say about it(including me!) do yourself a favor and just get the wireless keyboard.

Orayn

depward said:
I'm not exactly sure myself. I just jumped on it, holding onto the hope that they might see how many MH fans in the West want Frontier, and MH on new platforms.

Boney

Banned
jercruz said:
oh god oh man oh god oh man oh god oh man

those don't exist

really your best bet are from tail carves, but those shits are non existant. Give up

Pyrokai

Is there a strategy guide for this game that *any* company put out? Games like this really make me want a strategy guide just as a reference so I don't keep going to the MH wiki :p . Unfortunately, I can't find one online or in stores. It doesn't seem like Prima or Bradey Games put one out. Any suggestions?

Yeah, I know.....a strategy guide!? I don't normally get them but this is a game I'd like to have one for. It'd help with all the items and stuff.

Boney said:
oh god oh man oh god oh man oh god oh man

those don't exist

really your best bet are from tail carves, but those shits are non existant. Give up
You must not have played MH1. I think the plate drop rate was 1% or something. I only ever got one in my 900+ hours playtime.
I think the newer games are pretty generous.

diditz

Neo Member
jercruz said:
well everyone have their own "hard to get" parts, for me its rathian ruby, rathian plate, and uragaan ruby. And the worst is ura ruby, i got that first time in hr 120ish >.< , for rathalos plate i think its the easiest to get, since i have 18 right now. why dont you use jaggi mask, it gives more item in quest reward.

are there many gaffer still play this? for me its the only game i played right now.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Sammy Samusu said:

and Nintendo 3DS
. GET IN BOYS!

I did the survey

but selected NGP instead of 3DS :p

upandaway

What's this weird horn thing at the top of the screen? Is it related to the furnishing?

Anyway, I'm online right now with my friend. We're looking to play a pretty long time (I'll edit when we're done or if we're full), mainly to grind for Quru+ and Barroth+ armor, then do as much as possible from 4 star and 5 star. If you want, come curse High Rank Barroth to death with us.
We're not in the GAF corner though, we're in Expert -> Veteran 2 -> City Gate 4 -> City 1

Edit: we're done

Tenbatsu

upandaway said:
What's this weird horn thing at the top of the screen? Is it related to the furnishing?

Anyway, I'm online right now with my friend. We're looking to play a pretty long time (I'll edit when we're done or if we're full), mainly to grind for Quru+ and Barroth+ armor, then do as much as possible from 4 star and 5 star. If you want, come curse High Rank Barroth to death with us.
We're not in the GAF corner though, we're in Expert -> Veteran 2 -> City Gate 4 -> City 1
It means your furnish upgrade research is done.

WEEKLY
CAPCOM
UNITY HUNT:

- Get online in Monster Hunter Tri this Saturday anytime
- Go to the Server Valor 4
- Head to Gate 40
- Unity will be waiting for you!

Nothing special, just a meet up.

More information: Capcom Unity

pje122

Why can't I select to harvest honey in my farm??? According to my farm status I have honey level 1 but I can't figure out how to grow any...

Hiltz

pje122 said:
Why can't I select to harvest honey in my farm??? According to my farm status I have honey level 1 but I can't figure out how to grow any...

In order to farm honey, you need to use the Bizzy Bees item by trading with the NPC Argosy Captain for it.

One of the things I'd really like to see Capcom include is bit more exploration in the next Monster Hunter. It may not be an important part to the series, but it does help make the environments feel more atmospheric and interesting to wonder around.

Anyway, I' m still playing the game practically ever day. It's just one of those games that keeps you coming back for me even once you've finished all of the quests.

You can obtain the rare Rathalos plate item by either cutting the tail and carving it or breaking its head to find a shiny drop. The low rank version of the plate has a very low chance of appearing while the high rank version has just slightly higher chance. You can also try cutting its tail and/or breaking its head and capturing it for a slightly better chance to get the plate item in the rewards screen.

Rathalos/Rathain rubies are also rare items but they seem to be easier to obtain by doing the Double Trouble quests.

Hiltz

pje122 said:
Wow...
Thanks... some of the stuff in this game they REALLY don't explain very well...

Yeah, this game isn't very user friendly when it comes to having the player know certain things. Even when it does tell you some stuff, it's may not be obvious until you start digging around the menus and talking to the NPCs for useful information.

Thank goodness for websites like Monster Hunter Tri Wiki (the bible for this game). You can learn a lot of stuff from it like monster weaknesses, where to gather certain ingredients, what felyne kitchen skills do, what parts of the monster to carve to obtain certain items, and other useful stuff.

Hiltz said:
Yeah, this game isn't very user friendly when it comes to having the player know certain things. Even when it does tell you some stuff, it's may not be obvious until you start digging around the menus and talking to the NPCs for useful information.
Well, that's technically a form of exploration. :p

Duress said:
I give up on Alatreon. I can't pug it.
Event or regular? Either way I would recommend going on solo runs to learn its patterns and openings. Abandon after carting twice to save your items.

pje122

Little Green Yoda said:
Well, that's technically a form of exploration. :p
Obtuse? Yes
Inscrutable? Yes
Exploratory? Yeah not so much
Its becoming quite obvious why this is such a niche series outside of the Land of the Rising Sun... most people just don't want to put up with time-wasting, frustrating bullshit like that.
I'm certainly glad I'm sticking with it in spite of itself though...

pje122 said:
Obtuse? Yes
Inscrutable? Yes
Exploratory? Yeah not so much
Its becoming quite obvious why this is such a niche series outside of the Land of the Rising Sun... most people just don't want to put up with time-wasting, frustrating bullshit like that.
I'm certainly glad I'm sticking with it in spite of itself though...
Reading small blurbs of text from NPCs is time wasting bullshit now? I guess maybe if they put in full VA cutscenes to explain every little detail, the game would be more popular... Besides damage formula and hitzone stuff, everything can be figured out fairly easily without outside sources. Perhaps it's just me but figuring out some quirky little detail about the game from playing around with the controls is mildly satisfying. Plus, some would say the tutorial in MH3 is too dragged out as it is.

As for why the series is niche outside of Japan, I'd say the lack of a wtfeasymode
aside from leeching better players online
is a bigger factor than a cursory explanation of minor details of the game.

pje122

Perhaps... but my example above was just one of many I've encountered in the game...
I don't expect the game to explain everything for me, but it would help if it was a little intuitive sometimes...
I do like games where you have to work to get enjoyment out of them (such as Demon's Souls), but the obtuseness of this game can just be really off-putting...

Hiltz

Having never played a Monster Hunter game before, I did like how Tri's single player mode eased players into learning the basic hunting and gathering mechanics by breaking down the concept into tutorial-specific quests and then gradually build on them. I definitely would have had a harder time if I started the online multiplayer mode first.

For example, we learned how to pick up items like herbs and then combine them with blue mushrooms to make potions. Then we learn how to use the farm system and why it is beneficial to the player.

The hunting quests informed us on killing a monster which leads to carving its body for material used to make weapons and armor. Then we are introduced to what it means to capture a monster by observing the signs of when it is weak as well as how to use capture-based items and tranq bombs.

The parts I didn't understand that easily at first included stuff like what affinity means, what weapon color sharpness what felyne kitchen skills are, what purpose bomb items have, and monster weaknesses. They may have all been explained in the game somehow (through menus or npc chat) but it could have been done in a more accessible manner. As far as NPCs go, I didn't rely on them that much because reading the small text practically hurts my eyes.

upandaway

I would've liked it more too if it was a bit more intuitive, but consider that Tri was a HUGE step in the right direction though compared to FU. They were definitely trying.

The game is still insanely convoluted though. That's the niche it can't get out of. I myself have no idea how MH could be less convoluted.. it's almost necessary.

Remfin

upandaway said:
The game is still insanely convoluted though. That's the niche it can't get out of. I myself have no idea how MH could be less convoluted.. it's almost necessary.
I'm not sure it would need to be less convoluted so much as more explanatory. There are lots of mechanics that are just pointlessly opaque, some with literally 0 explanation.

Something like the FFXII bestiary, for instance, would be pretty awesome. In that game as you kill more of a creature you get more and more information (I believe eventually you unlock some drop info at the least). There is a ton of information about these monsters, and a variety of ways you can gate that information (damage, kills, breaks, drops, doing missions, etc.) so it could be both a reference and an aid--like unlock hitzone charts/basic information based off damage done to each part, so for instance someone who beats their head against Barroth and dies like 5-10 times starts getting information that acts as strong hints...you could obviously do this with other parts of the game too, like farming and fishing (felyne cooking already does a primitive type of this).

I think the problem is that this is an action game with a strong social element, but they're hiding information like it's a first-generation MMORPG. But this game does not have monsters that only spawn one time/week for an entire server and the information is going to end up online somehow anyway (exhaustive tests, or ripping apart the game files), so why not make that information attainable for everyone? We aren't playing this game 200+ hours after we've finished mastering the final monster because the monsters are still a mystery or something...

Top Bottom