• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Dreavus

I might try to get back into this game during winter break when I'm not bogged down by Uni. Played the shit out of it with Gaffers when I first got it but I may have burned myself out a bit. I never did get my HR high enough to fight Alatreon... although I think I'm pretty close!

Hopefully some of you guys are still around mid December. :lol

upandaway

Do you not get HR points for online arena quests, or did I miss it?

If not, why the hell not?! I'm stuck doing Rathian over and over again to get to HR 18, and I refuse to play offline because Barioth scares me. So I'm kinda just doing Rathian now.

I wish I wasn't so quick to get the Baggi armor offline. Such a waste of HR.

Edit:

New idea: tomorrow (about 12 hours from the time of this post/edit) I'll hop online to just do random stuff out of the 1/2 star quests. If anyone wants to help me out get it over quickly, that'll be awesome, and it'll spice it up for me a little. I'm on the PAL servers (I'll post my code thing tomorrow). Hopefully I get my friend with me too.
I got the whole day so if I'm not posting that I'm done, I should still be online even 6 hours later.

Did Arena Play with my brother yesterday (split-screen), spent over 10 minutes on the first creature (a Baggi?), couldn't beat the second one. We're still getting the hang of this game, obviously. We alternated between Bowgun and Sword/Shield.

upandaway

upandaway said:
Do you not get HR points for online arena quests, or did I miss it?

If not, why the hell not?! I'm stuck doing Rathian over and over again to get to HR 18, and I refuse to play offline because Barioth scares me. So I'm kinda just doing Rathian now.

I wish I wasn't so quick to get the Baggi armor offline. Such a waste of HR.

Edit:

New idea: tomorrow (about 12 hours from the time of this post/edit) I'll hop online to just do random stuff out of the 1/2 star quests. If anyone wants to help me out get it over quickly, that'll be awesome, and it'll spice it up for me a little. I'm on the PAL servers (I'll post my code thing tomorrow). Hopefully I get my friend with me too.
I got the whole day so if I'm not posting that I'm done, I should still be online even 6 hours later.
I'm going online now. I'll be in the GAF server thing from the community thread (with no USB keyboard).

Alon - EX4KEH (I'm the only one on [edit: was I not supposed to put it here?] so you don't need this)

It'll be awesome if someone comes in!

I got back into this game after months of absence and it's still sweet as ever. What is the GAF server? I might be able to help some people out. HR 70, got keyboard.
My name there is Shin. Can't post my ID as I'm at work.

upandaway

Argh, got disconnected just before the last quest I had time for. Well now I'm offline.

I'm HR 19 now, wooo! Thanks for everyone that helped. My friend got to HR 17 as well (by the way, he also got disconnected but due to a power outage, so that's why he didn't reconnect again after I was gone).

I'm new to MH, this will be my first game in the series. Two questions for you veterans:

1. How much SP content is there? Should I really jump in the MP? How active is the community?

2. How does it play on Wii remote + Nunchuck, as opposed to CCP?

Castor Krieg said:
I'm new to MH, this will be my first game in the series. Two questions for you veterans:

1. How much SP content is there? Should I really jump in the MP? How active is the community?

1. There's a decent amount of SP content, but the meat of the game is definitely in the MP. The community is active enough to always find someone to quest with within a few minutes.

2. Don't know, sorry. CCP is God.

Castor Krieg said:
I brought the game over to parents' place and watched my brother struggle with the remote + nunchuck combo. He did not struggle anywhere near as much with the controls when he tried monster hunter freedom 2 for the first time.

My guess is that it will probably take somewhere between ten to twenty hours for a casual player to get used to the remote + nunchuck. Two hours was not enough time for him to get remotely comfortable with the controls.

However, you can't beat people using remote + nunchuck at arm-wrestling if you're using the CCP, though, so there's that.

Lance Bone Path said:
However, you can't beat people using remote + nunchuck at arm-wrestling if you're using the CCP, though, so there's that.
Try spinning both sticks instead of one.
Works for being stunned too btw.

upandaway

Castor Krieg said:
I couldn't get into the CCP but I instantly clicked with the Nunchuck.

The only problem I'd see with it is that there's a move where you hold the Wiimote vertical and press A, and it sucks. It's used for important things like charging the GS and countering with the lance. Not too bad to use, but still not optimal.

If I ever need the counter enough and/or actually use the GS, I'll probably try out the CCP again.

Proven

I clicked with the Nunchuck quickly, and prefer it over the two CC controls. Then again, MHTri is my first Monster Hunter. Holding the nunchuck up isn't so hard, as you really just have to learn at one point the angle is high enough, and possibly adjust your rest position so you can get there quick. The only control set up that might really cause a problem is the lance, but I haven't played with it enough to tell you how easy it is to go into and out of countering. SnS is best with the Nunchuck by miles, while Hammers, Long Swords, Bowguns, and (imo) Great Swords are pretty even between all control styles as they don't have a lot of different moves to memorize in comparison.

Do urgents not appear until you reach the HR level right before you move on to the next set of quests? I rarely ever get my key quests done so quickly but I'm itching for my urgent so I can move on to 5* quests and upgrade my armor. :D

ShinNL

Tenbatsu said:
Nunchuk & wiimote is the best. Someone prove me wrong.
Can't play in bed without screwing up your counter. Holding the remote horizontal while lying down yourself is awkward.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
upandaway said:
But really it's about watching him carefully because Qurupeco telegraphs his attacks really nice.
When I was playing I really loved fighting Qurupeco. He has such a personality. Really need to get back into this!

upandaway

I'm gonna go online again tomorrow (I, uh, 14 hours from time of post, but I'll post again at that time). Me and my friend and hopefully two more people. On the GAF server thingy thing.

We wanna do major Rathalos farming (for that shitty fucking stupid cunt plate FUCK. this also means tail+head+capture+shiny drops), so if you're already sick of the guy, you won't like what's coming. Conversely if you're also looking for a plate, it'll make it easier (mentally) with more people. If I don't post that I'm offline I should be online.

I'm really scared. I hope 6 hours is enough.

Proven

upandaway said:
I'm gonna go online again tomorrow (I, uh, 14 hours from time of post, but I'll post again at that time). Me and my friend and hopefully two more people. On the GAF server thingy thing.

We wanna do major Rathalos farming (for that shitty fucking stupid cunt plate FUCK. this also means tail+head+capture+shiny drops), so if you're already sick of the guy, you won't like what's coming. Conversely if you're also looking for a plate, it'll make it easier (mentally) with more people. If I don't post that I'm offline I should be online.

I'm really scared. I hope 6 hours is enough.

I'll see if I can join you and finally make my GAF server debut.

Hiltz

For those who don't know, the online city is having another good sale today but I'm not sure how long it will last (was available yesterday too). Thunderbugs, honey, dragon toadstools, blue mushrooms, wyvern claws, raw meat, among other things. Time to stock up on supplies!

Have fun fighting Rathalos. I didn't even bother to try to get its high rank armor set and just went straight for Lagiacrus.

I'll be online tomorrow sometime around 11:30 AM after work.

I ordered the classic controller pro bundle and I'm finally gonna be able to put down MHFU. Looking forward to joining up with you guys and having fun

Well I finally got my wii back from Nintendo a few days ago. Time to wear in those replacement parts with a little monster hunting. I'll be on in a few minutes. Let's get to it gaf!

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
CoffeeJanitor said:
MH for 3DS HAS to happen (with good online functionality).
I wouldn't doubt it, but would they port/enhance MHP3, or wait a few more years for MH4 or whatever?

Ratrat

jooey said:
I wouldn't doubt it, but would they port/enhance MHP3, or wait a few more years for MH4 or whatever?

Is it true most people control the dpad camera with their index finger? I just use my thumb, so that wouldn't be a problem on the 3DS but Im still not sure why the placement is like that.

Proven

Ratrat said:
Is it true most people control the dpad camera with their index finger? I just use my thumb, so that wouldn't be a problem on the 3DS but Im still not sure why the placement is like that.
Hmm, that's a good point. Personally I despise the claw but enough people depend on it that the 3DS d-pad placement might be a problem. They could always let the touch screen control camera as well, but the only quick and reliable way to use your finger for games that do that is to use your fingernail, which opens up the door to scratches very quickly. The only touchpad I've used with speed, accuracy, and lack of fingernail necessity has been the iOS devices.

Doorman

At some point...I'm just gonna have to suck it up and play online. By this point I'm probably fairly overpowered for the early missions, so I don't know why I'm still hesitant about it.

Proven

Doorman said:
At some point...I'm just gonna have to suck it up and play online. By this point I'm probably fairly overpowered for the early missions, so I don't know why I'm still hesitant about it.
The longer you wait... the more boring it'll be to have to power through the early missions unless you're making multiple weapons and armor sets....

Doorman

Yeah I suppose...not that I particularly mind plowing through the likes of Great Jaggi in five minutes, I'm just not sure why I haven't given it a shot yet. I think I'm paranoid that I won't show proper hunter etiquette or something and everyone will just think I'm an ass. :lol

Might as well do it some time relatively soon though, that is supposed to be the bulk of the experience from most accounts.

Boney

Banned
Doorman said:
Yeah I suppose...not that I particularly mind plowing through the likes of Great Jaggi in five minutes, I'm just not sure why I haven't given it a shot yet. I think I'm paranoid that I won't show proper hunter etiquette or something and everyone will just think I'm an ass. :lol

Might as well do it some time relatively soon though, that is supposed to be the bulk of the experience from most accounts.
You should've joined us. Had tons of funs. Also, get on as soon as possible. I logged in after I beat Lagi, and it was a total chore.

Los and Barioth are such a fun team. It's a shame the game doesn't have quests for nearly all monster combos. Lagi/Jho, Giggi/Bari and hell of a lot of other monster teams I could name would be awesome. Great hunts tonight Boney. That dual hammer jho was a blast even if we did loose by a hair. Man those last 60 seconds got my blood pumping :lol

Akainu

Doorman said:

If you are up I'll play with you now.

Doorman

Akainu said:
If you are up I'll play with you now.
Nah, I already played more than I intended to tonight and my brain's a bit fizzled at the moment as a result.
I'll probably be around and wanting to play tomorrow evening at some point, I'll drop a line here if I decide to give online a shot then.

Remfin

Boney said:
You should've joined us. Had tons of funs. Also, get on as soon as possible. I logged in after I beat Lagi, and it was a total chore.
Man, you didn't just beat Lagi, you had farmed an entire set of armor :lol I can't believe you did that online grind without flipping out.

Boney

Banned
Remfin said:
Man, you didn't just beat Lagi, you had farmed an entire set of armor :lol I can't believe you did that online grind without flipping out.
Nobody asked you *angry face*

Those were good times. :)

Doorman

Alright, getting online for the first time ever now. Not sure of if there's a super secret-handshake GAF lair or where that hides, so I'll just pop into one of the open areas for the time being.

Kinda feels like I'm firing up the game for the first time again. :lol

Edit: Well after some odd and aggravating connection hiccups to start off, I managed a few quick quests with some non-GAF buddies. Nothing I haven't seen before, but it was fun.

I wish some of the major city functions like the smithy and general store weren't all spread out in Loc Lac like they are, though. That part of the online experience still seems like it could use some streamlining.

Insaniac

been looking for some people to quest with, got re-hooked. I'm a HR 10 only though. Also when playing online is it normal that I see my teammates attacking monsters that are in different places than what I see , or is that a poor connection?

Akainu

Insaniac said:
been looking for some people to quest with, got re-hooked. I'm a HR 10 only though. Also when playing online is it normal that I see my teammates attacking monsters that are in different places than what I see , or is that a poor connection?
I was fighting a Barroth the other day and it disappeared for a few seconds, monsters randomly die in front of me when I didn't attack them, and people have been craving even though there was nothing there. So yeah...

Insaniac said:
It's normal for small monsters if you didn't enter the area at the same time as your team mates. If it happens with large monsters (or if you see your team mates teleporting) it's the connection.

Nicktals

Banned
Akainu said:
I was fighting a Barroth the other day and it disappeared for a few seconds, monsters randomly die in front of me when I didn't attack them, and people have been craving even though there was nothing there. So yeah...

The monster's dieing in front of you, and the people carving nothing are both normal, since that has to do with small monsters, which aren't synced for all 4 people. Only the large monsters are. It takes getting used to, and can make carving small monsters with a group a little harder...but really has a small effect on gameplay.

However, your barroth disappearing sounds like a connection issue.

Hiltz

Have you guys tried out the "World Eater" quest featuring a gigantic Deviljho ? He isn't so bad but he sure can cover a lot of ground now that he is twice as big! I only beat him once so far but shock and pitfall traps still work on him. Rewards are the same just more of them.

I had a pretty cool moment last night during an Alatreon quest. I was fooling around by placing a single Barrel Bomb L+ in the middle of the area while Alatreon was busy chasing after the other players, not knowing that it was 1 hit from being killed. Then it turns around and charges across the area right at me. Without hestitating, I quickly rush over to the bomb and swing at it with my weapon to trigger the explosive right in its face. Boom! My 20th slayed Alatreon meets a nasty end. What a sweet moment it was.

Top Bottom