• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

ajim

haven't touched this beauty of a game in over 4 1/2 months, and am hesitant about heading abck to my 500+ hour save file.

so, i'll be starting again.

its going to be like masturbating for the first time.... again. <3

Nicktals

Banned
i can get back on in an hour...just spent a while mining, no one on yet.

EDIT: ace! you going to dive back in??

I have a feeling znarf is getting his MK on.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I've been playing a lot of Demon's Souls lately, and I've been really enjoying it. But it's also gotten me more interested in Monster Hunter 3. Am I correct in assuming these games are pretty similar? How would you compare the two? Pros/cons of each?

Boney

Banned
nah, I'm pretty beat up, I think I'll just go to bed and cuddle with pokemon

MrOogieBoogie said:
I've been playing a lot of Demon's Souls lately, and I've been really enjoying it. But it's also gotten more interested in Monster Hunter 3. Am I correct in assuming these games are pretty similar? How would you compare the two? Pros/cons of each?
I've only played a bit of Demon Souls, but I guess there are some similarities between them. There's basically no focus on small enemies in MH though, just hunt the bosses. And weapons and armor need to be forged from materials from enemies instead of just getting them. Areas are nothing like dungeons.

They both offer a great combat system that requires you to be familiar with the enemies you are fighting and that if you let your guard down you can easily be killed pretty fast. There's also a great variety of weapons (play style).

Nicktals

Banned
udivision said:
Does your HR effect offline in anyway shape or form?

Not exactly. The only way you could say it effects offline is that once you become high rank (31+) you'll be able to forge High Rank weapons and armor (which you can buy and forge offline, and use in village quests). If you never went online you'd never have access to this high tier or weapons and armor.

Other than that, no effect.

udivision

Nicktals said:
Not exactly. The only way you could say it effects offline is that once you become high rank (31+) you'll be able to forge High Rank weapons and armor (which you can buy and forge offline, and use in village quests). If you never went online you'd never have access to this high tier or weapons and armor.

Other than that, no effect.
Awesome, the High Rank was actually what I was wondering about.

I don't like the fact that the end game is online play, though.

ajim said:
haven't touched this beauty of a game in over 4 1/2 months, and am hesitant about heading abck to my 500+ hour save file.

so, i'll be starting again.

its going to be like masturbating for the first time.... again. <3

A friend and I decided to go back into it after several months too.

It was about an hour of us being confused and forgetting how to make/forge/do everything and then it was like we never left. I'm both amazed and ashamed of the encyclopedia of useless knowledge I now possess thanks to this game.

I was also amazed that there was life in the servers still. Glad to see the community is still active, at least 1200+ people in the recruiting server whenever I went in.

Effect

Just started replaying this. Stopped playing shortly after I got it due to not having enough time so I redid my character. Still on the first set of missions after messing around for a few days readjusting to the controls. Having more fun playing this then some of the more recent MMOs. What's just missing is more npcs. :( I've been using Animal Crossing: City Folk to off set that. Though might finally pick up Harvest Moon: Animal Parade if that might work better. :)

I haven't really grinded for anything yet but I see myself getting to that point very quickly. A decent amount of armor sets have opened up for me to craft and I don't have nearly any of the parts required for one piece, let alone an entire set. They key is to redo missions several times right for money or just hunt in the forest and just sell what you collect while storing other things?

Also when you forge items you can have the ingredients in your storage right? Or do you have to have them on the character when you go to do so?

upandaway

Effect said:
I haven't really grinded for anything yet but I see myself getting to that point very quickly. A decent amount of armor sets have opened up for me to craft and I don't have nearly any of the parts required for one piece, let alone an entire set. They key is to redo missions several times right for money or just hunt in the forest and just sell what you collect while storing other things?
I'm pretty sure you don't need to farm anything until you get to the first big monster. Once you get to him, farm him for his armor, while also mining for a few metals during the quest. It nets you (1) a really good starting armor set, (2) a bunch of money which is important early in the game, and (3) enough generic resources to get you through the necessities, especially metals.

Until then, don't waste money/resources on anything really besides potions and the leather armor set. You don't even need the full leather I think, you can skip on the helmet.

Raide

Hi all,

I love loot collecting games and I have just been given a Wii and I was thinking of picking up Monster Hunter Tri. I just have a few questions.

Is it pretty difficult to get into?
Are there are team based skills like group heals etc?
As I gather, its more weapon classes and not actual player classes right?
How grindy is the game? I don't mind grinding if I am actually aiming for something.
Is there are pretty large world to roam around and am I able to solo a good chunk of the game?
Classic Controller or regular Wii-remote?

Thanks all!

Solune

Raide said:
Hi all,

I love loot collecting games and I have just been given a Wii and I was thinking of picking up Monster Hunter Tri. I just have a few questions.

Is it pretty difficult to get into?
Are there are team based skills like group heals etc?
As I gather, its more weapon classes and not actual player classes right?
How grindy is the game? I don't mind grinding if I am actually aiming for something.
Is there are pretty large world to roam around and am I able to solo a good chunk of the game?
Classic Controller or regular Wii-remote?

Thanks all!

Entry level for getting into MH is moderate, it's not a walk in the park that's for sure.
Yes there are team based skills, you have to have a certain amount of skill points from armor in order to gain access to these skills.
Yes, that is correct.
Game gets grindy when you hit High Rank monsters.
The whole game has a solo campaign that's geared more towards training the player to fight the monsters and give an idea how you would fight them online with others. There's not actually a world to roam though, you have zones that you encounter these monsters in but you're free to explore them for what little there is to gather. Game is definitely revolving around killing the big monsters, however you do need to mine for materials for equipment.
Classic Controller Pro if you have one, or just regular CC.

Raide

Solune said:
Entry level for getting into MH is moderate, it's not a walk in the park that's for sure.
Yes there are team based skills, you have to have a certain amount of skill points from armor in order to gain access to these skills.
Yes, that is correct.
Game gets grindy when you hit High Rank monsters.
The whole game has a solo campaign that's geared more towards training the player to fight the monsters and give an idea how you would fight them online with others. There's not actually a world to roam though, you have zones that you encounter these monsters in but you're free to explore them for what little there is to gather. Game is definitely revolving around killing the big monsters, however you do need to mine for materials for equipment.
Classic Controller Pro if you have one, or just regular CC.

Thanks for the answers.

Also, is it XP and levelling based or mainly just weapon/armour stats that increase ability?
I am guessing most of the GAF players are high level, so does the game have issues if people group with low ranks?

Luigiv

Raide said:
Thanks for the answers.

Also, is it XP and levelling based or mainly just weapon/armour stats that increase ability?
I am guessing most of the GAF players are high level, so does the game have issues if people group with low ranks?
No levels, just improved equipment. You do get XP and Hunter Ranks when playing online, but those don't affect your base stats, they're just for unlocking new quests.

BTW most of the questions you asked where already answered in that OP I wrote.

Raide

Luigiv said:
No levels, just improved equipment. You do get XP and Hunter Ranks when playing online, but those don't affect your base stats, they're just for unlocking new quests.

BTW most of the questions you asked where already answered in that OP I wrote.

Thanks. Just been checking through the OP earlier. Just ordered my copy from Amazon, so now I have to wait. :D

Dreavus

Playing this game online by yourself is really fucking hard. I played for the first time in a looong time and at the level I'm at, monsters are hitting for almost half my health. I want Cha-Cha to help me out online, lol.

Raide

Just had my Amazon e-mail. Game has been sent! Now to wait. Just picked up composite cables for my new Wii as well, since Scart is damn ugly on my HD-TV.

ajim

Raide said:
Just had my Amazon e-mail. Game has been sent! Now to wait. Just picked up composite cables for my new Wii as well, since Scart is damn ugly on my HD-TV.
You're in for one hell of a ride :D

Good thing is too, the online is still rocking nice and hard!

Raide

ajim said:
You're in for one hell of a ride :D

Good thing is too, the online is still rocking nice and hard!

I love me some loot collecting games and if I get the chance to murder some stuff and find some loot, I am all in. MH was really the only game I was tempted to get a Wii for (Had one at launch for Zelda, sold it once I had finished it) so getting a free Wii means MH was well worth it!

Other than difficulty, are there any main differences between online and offline?

Disguises said:
I hope you mean component cables :p

Yes, sorry, been watching SocialDissonance videos of MH so I was a little distracted. :D

ajim

Raide said:
I love me some loot collecting games and if I get the chance to murder some stuff and find some loot, I am all in. MH was really the only game I was tempted to get a Wii for (Had one at launch for Zelda, sold it once I had finished it) so getting a free Wii means MH was well worth it!

Other than difficulty, are there any main differences between online and offline?
Online is longer, more difficult and has more loot (items/weapons/etc). Also a lot more fun. Offline is worth it because you get to manage the farm (which comes in useful when cultivating honeys etc) and easing you into the game experience of MH. I started with offline, completed, then jumped into online... And I was a better hunter because of it. I think you get to learn the monsters moves a lot better and become a better hunter fighting them one on one, rather than with 3 other people. Just my experience anyway.

Sounds like you don't know how to hunt. 8)

Stun Hammer + Para Long Sword + Traps + Bombs + Flash Bombs = FUN FUN FUN
That sounds so boring :(

Me + Switch axe + a few potions vs DevilJho = fun. Its the only way. The. Only. Way.

Raide

ajim said:
Online is longer, more difficult and has more loot (items/weapons/etc). Also a lot more fun. Offline is worth it because you get to manage the farm (which comes in useful when cultivating honeys etc) and easing you into the game experience of MH. I started with offline, completed, then jumped into online... And I was a better hunter because of it. I think you get to learn the monsters moves a lot better and become a better hunter fighting them one on one, rather than with 3 other people. Just my experience anyway.

I think I will play offline to start, just to figure out how the game plays and the basic tactics against the monsters. Once I am more comfortable with the controls etc, I will jump online and see how I get on.

ajim said:
That sounds so boring :(

Me + Switch axe + a few potions vs DevilJho = fun. Its the only way. The. Only. Way.
Ugh, I hate soloing.

I love when you find a group that knows how to rape, it's paralyze after paralyze, after stun, then traps, bombs, monster limping, flash bombs... LOL! Monster Hunter. <3

Spamming is quite useful when hunting for materials like Stout Horn or Lantern+.

Raide said:
I think I will play offline to start, just to figure out how the game plays and the basic tactics against the monsters. Once I am more comfortable with the controls etc, I will jump online and see how I get on.
Fair warning, offline and online are best played as complements to each other. If you finish offline completely then jump online the first 31 HRs are going to really boring, since you're gonna be doing nothing but grinding for hunter rank points instead of trying to get the carves you need to upgrade weapons / armor.

Raide

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Fair warning, offline and online are best played as complements to each other. If you finish offline completely then jump online the first 31 HRs are going to really boring, since you're gonna be doing nothing but grinding for hunter rank points instead of trying to get the carves you need to upgrade weapons / armor.

That makes sense. Really I want to play Offline to figure out how to play and how to get around the world. Once I haver nailed that, I will play online. It seems offline is good for grinding for bits and online for the real game.

Do you have plenty of inventory space or do you have issues where you have to delete stuff to fit things in?

udivision

I'm not sure if you could really call this a Loot game.

You pretty much know what you're gonna get for killing every mon, except for the later mons with < 5% drop rates for certain items.

Since you're just collecting materials, every dropped item is the same. As in, a Jaggi's Scale is a Jaggi Scale. You're not gonna find a Jaggi's scale of the Bear or stuff like that. As far as dropped equipment goes, it doesn't really happen. There are some accessory quest rewards for later quest, and you can mine a hunk of iron later in the game to get a rustshard that you can turn into a weapon, but it's always the same weapon.

You can, however, customize your gear with gems, and make your own gems.

Basically, unlike a typical loot game in which refighting a monster can give you something unexpected awesome, in MH3 because there is no EXP, levels, or anything like that, grinding is completely pointless unless you're trying to get a specific item. And by the time your strong enough to ever fight someone for a specific item and have the item still be relevant to you, that mon is probably stronger than you and defeating him again is no simple task.

Raide

udivision said:
I'm not sure if you could really call this a Loot game.

You pretty much know what you're gonna get for killing every mon, except for the later mons with < 5% drop rates for certain items.

Since you're just collecting materials, every dropped item is the same. As in, a Jaggi's Scale is a Jaggi Scale. You're not gonna find a Jaggi's scale of the Bear or stuff like that. As far as dropped equipment goes, it doesn't really happen. There are some accessory quest rewards for later quest, and you can mine a hunk of iron later in the game to get a rustshard that you can turn into a weapon, but it's always the same weapon.

You can, however, customize your gear with gems, and make your own gems.

Basically, unlike a typical loot game in which refighting a monster can give you something unexpected awesome, in MH3 because there is no EXP, levels, or anything like that, grinding is completely pointless unless you're trying to get a specific item. And by the time your strong enough to ever fight someone for a specific item and have the item still be relevant to you, that mon is probably stronger than you and defeating him again is no simple task.

From the videos I have been watching, it seems to be more of a Material Collection and Craft Items kind of game. As long as the crafting system is fairly varied, I am sure I will spent a good few hours with it.

It seems like I have to do a bit of everything. Killing and skinning, mining for ore and catching bugs, mainly so I have supplies to make all the stuff I need.

Sammy Samusu said:
Ugh, I hate soloing.

I love when you find a group that knows how to rape, it's paralyze after paralyze, after stun, then traps, bombs, monster limping, flash bombs... LOL! Monster Hunter. <3

Spamming is quite useful when hunting for materials like Stout Horn or Lantern+.
That's like avoiding as much of the gameplay as possible..
I've played with guys who hunt like that and it's boring as hell. Also, they seem to die a lot when they actually have to FIGHT something.

Proven

Shin_Kojima said:
That's like avoiding as much of the gameplay as possible..
I've played with guys who hunt like that and it's boring as hell. Also, they seem to die a lot when they actually have to FIGHT something.

It's not that boring. It kinda depends on your mindset. In the case of say, Long Sword players working together to constantly paralyze a monster, sure, you could see it as boring.

With my group of friends, it was more as seeing the monster as our equal. The monster may whip of wind, throw bombs, shoot fireballs, do massive dig attacks. When lucky, they can even string together these attacks to make us faint with barely any input. We can only slow it down, trip it up, and temporarily blind it, but there's four of us, and we can stack a few other effects on top of that. Often the amount of time you have to do this is short, as a strong enough team will have a monster almost constantly in rage until they get its health low.

Now, bombing, and sleep bombing, get very, very boring to me. However, getting Diablos exhausted, then getting a sonic bomb thrown just as he digs underground, only to time a flash bomb the second he pops out again and then dropping a trap for the second he gets his wits back up again, and then timing it so that we get off our weapons' paralyze while he's still stuck in the pitfall trap only to lead into a KO on his head... Doing combos like that on a monster I always find fun, as it takes game sense to pull it off, and it takes team work to both do it consistently and to properly take advantage of it. Often my friends and I would coordinate what weapons we'd bring in order to find a nice combination of debilitating effects and damage potential.

Boogiepop

Lost my save file due to my Wii crapping out on me. Got to the credits and had put it down for a bit, and then shortly after I had to send me Wii for repairs (with no possible way to grab data from it). Not sure if I'm going to ever get back into the game now, but MAAAAAAAAYBE I'll give things another shot with a different weapon type. Sigh...

Raide

Monster Hunter Journal: Day 1

Arrived at the village and everyone seemed happy to see me. Not sure if I was ready for all this attention, since I seemed to have arrived wearing just my underpants. Either all the other hunters were out hunting, or I was the last option. I get the feeling they would be happy to see any old person, just as long as they are willing to kill stuff for money.

Seems the village suffered an earthquake, so the village chief and his son seem to be busy sorting things. Some boy showed me to my lodgings and the first thing I noticed was a cat. Now, I am a cat friendly person but he looked a bit funny. Will keep a close eye on it, just in case it steals my belongings while I sleep.

Heading around the village I found some curious people. They all talk in a very strange tongue, which makes understanding what I need to do and where I need to go, a little confusing. I was told to visit the farm, this did take a while since nobody actually told me.

First things first...A TALKING CAT!!!! After the initial shock, he informs me he is also a farmer cat, so that makes everything fine and dandy. I have also been given a pig. Not sure if this is a local custom but the need to dress and snuggle is not high on my list of things to do. He might make good rations later on.

The Chief said I should find his son, so donning my sword and shield (Note to Self: Bring clothes next time) I head off out of the village. A very beautiful island, with stunning views. With no time to admire the scenery I am told I should murder some grazing animals. They really don't look like monsters, so I drew a picture of them in my Diary. Should be a pretty simple task, even with my underpants on. After a quick slicing, I head to meet the Chief's son, who is happy to see meat. Well, whatever turns him on I guess. Back to camp swiftly, since the Chief's Son keeps talking about BBQ's and its freaking me out slightly.

Cute guild lady seemed nice, even if she told me I should embark on a mighty quest...to gather mushrooms. It is already late, so I think I will head to sleep and muster up the strength to salvage all those deadly mushrooms...

Current Outlook: Apprehensive, slightly confused but excited to be here!

Filth

HEy guys. I use to play with all of you when the game was fresh. My name was philthy and at the time I didn't have a gaf account. How's the gameplay coming along? Last I remembered I was 50+ I think. Have they added anything new? It was kinda repetetive fighting the same monsters over and over :(

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Mank said:
Lost my save file due to my Wii crapping out on me. Got to the credits and had put it down for a bit, and then shortly after I had to send me Wii for repairs (with no possible way to grab data from it). Not sure if I'm going to ever get back into the game now, but MAAAAAAAAYBE I'll give things another shot with a different weapon type. Sigh...
Didn't you ask Nintendo to transfer your stuff with the repair/replacement?

Raide

Monster Hunter Journal: Day 2

Woke up early, since all I could think about was mushrooms. Was confronted with the weird cat that lives in my hut, so tried to sneak out without causing too much fuss. Most of the village was still asleep, so I headed off into the wild to forage for mushrooms. After several hours, I now have the bizarre collection of items in my bag. I have some honey, random slabs of monster flesh, some herbs, various mushrooms and some paintberries. It looks pretty horrific but could also be the best Moga Marinade on the entire island.

While the Guild Girl is still cute, she is also a slave driver. As soon as I got back, she had more things for me to do. I took a few moments out to visit the farm cat, since he likes me enough to talk to me. Is that a good or bad thing? Seems one of his cat friends has arrived and the farm can get started again, as long as I provide more items. I really don't like the idea of carrying dung around.

After several drips to drop off random body parts and ores, I found myself going for a swim. Still in my underpants, I thought this would be unwise. Within a few seconds I was confronted with, what can only be described, as a big drooling monster. Resembled some kind of deep sea dragon-serpent, trying to sneak past was not going to happen and it charged me. Next thing I remember was cats dragging me back to base-camp and dumping me on the ground. I always thought cats hated water?

It is getting late, so as I arrive at the camp, I manage to get the friendly blacksmith to forge me some more protective clothes. I now have a full set of chainmail armour, so that should prevent me snagging my bits on the pointy ends of the islands various inhabitants. Well, apart from the Guild Girl. She can snag my bits any-day.

Current Outlook: More confident but really, really sore.

Raide

Shin_Kojima said:
I like your journals. Can't wait to read your entry on Deviljho after you get acquainted with him.

I was murdered by the sea-snake thing. Damn, its the main monster. Was really annoying since I was mid quest and everywhere I went, he followed me. :D

Really digging the game but just getting use to controls and how things work is taking a while. So much stuff to take in.

Raide

Monster Hunter Journal: Day 3

Today started off badly. Getting tired of collecting mushrooms and murdering ant-like creatures, the cute Guild Girl told of a fearsome beast, called The Great Jaggi. Now, I have already encountered the normal variety on my travels and they are very annoying. Like those cat creatures that steal all my possessions but with more teeth.

Getting together my equipment, I headed out into the wilds to find this elusive beast. As a Monster Hunter, it makes sense that the Great Jaggi should hang out with other Jaggi of the not-so-great variety. What happened next will haunt my nights for many a moon.

All of it is a blur and those rescue cats worked overtime. At one point, I even ended up back at the village and had to, with much embarrassed, ask for the job again. The poor Guild Girl looked at me and shook her head. I was covered in blood, Jaggi guts splattered all over my chest and a huge chunk missing from my brand new sword and shield. I think we need a bigger weapon...and maybe a boat so I can escape this island with my head still attached to my shoulders.

A short while later, I brandish a tree-trunk sized sword and it was time to head out again. To say I was not scared would be utterly lying. This Great Jaggi really did give me a good kicking. I am a Monster Hunter and I will hunt this Great Jaggi until only one of us is left standing! TONIGHT, WE DINE IN MOGA VILLAGE!!!

If I fill in my Journal for Day 4, you know all went well.

Current Outlook: Life flashing before my eyes.

Raide

Monster Hunter Journal: Day 4

I AM THE MIGHTIEST HUNTER IN ALL MOGA VILLAGE!

Who ever said revenge was a dish best served cold was utterly wrong. Revenge is a dish best served on the end of a massive sword. What started out as a mammoth task, turned into the most exciting and proud days of my life. A gruesome battle, blade and claw flying all over the place. (Even one of the little ones manage to bite my ass. Thing stings like crazy when I sit down.)

After several beatings, I knew it was either me or the Great Jaggi that would survive to see another day. All I can say is that I am alive and I made some armour from the twisted remains of that once "Great" Jaggi. I almost gave up my chances of beating that foul beast but perseverance paid off and I feel I am able to take on more challenges today.

As soon as I get back to the village, everyone had heard about my great victory. Even the Guild Girl seemed impressed...until she told me I had to go out again but this time capture the beast alive. Killing is one thing but managed to capture it? How on earth will I manage that?

It seems I have to beat the creature to within an inch of its life, then using a handily prepared trap, trap it! Seems ok so far but I am expecting the worst. What happened next was about 3 days of cat transport and running around, since the damn creature did not want to be trapped. Who could blame him! I would rather make new shoes from him but I need to capture this beastie in order to be a real Monster Hunter. After what felt like an eternity, the Great Jaggi finally felt beneath a barrage of shield bashing, traps and throwing tranquillizers at its face. Damn thing was a pain to drag back to the Camp though.

Current Outlook: More confident and looking forward to more challenges.

Raide

Monster Hunter Journal: Day 5

After my Great Jaggi victory, my skills as a Monster Hunter have improved vastly. It seems like that initial bump in the road, coupled with my perseverance, gave way to my usually maggotlike combat abilities, and spawned me into a marvellous butterfly of whirling death.

My next target was the oddly named Qurupeco. Some of the villagers think it is a cute name, so I am expecting some fluffy and most harmless beast that I have to hammer into oblivion. Once I had finally made it to the field, what confronted me was a 20 foot tall, half duck like creature. I can see why people think it was cute but it also had a very nasty habit.

Using its wings, it would smash the ends together to perform some kind of spark, then it would leap forward and cause a massive explosion. Running away from the Qurupeco was the best tactic once it had started to make things burst into flames. Not to be outdone, it also had the annoying ability to call out to other creatures for aid. Wondering what kind of monster would join in the fight, I prepared. Four of those catlike creatures appeared and tried to rob me, so I battered them. Hard.

Finally the Qurupeco dropped to the ground and I claimed my victory. As soon as I returned to the village, I was asked to go back out and capture the Qurupeco. I sense a theme here. I kill them, then I have to capture them. With my previous capturing performance, this might go a little smoother than expected. Within moments of entering the battle, the Qurupeco screamed out. Before I knew what happened, a Great Jaggi rammed me from behind. This would be a real test. Killing the Great Jaggi, again and wounding and capturing the Qurupeco.

All of my previous experience had paid off and the Great Jaggi fell much quicker than I had previously thought. The Qurupeco seemed dismayed but I had to beat and capture it. Several hours later, mainly made up of chasing it around (Flying away really is poor sportsmanship) the fake duck monster was trapped and tranquillized. Hurrar, just in time before the light vanished.

Current Outlook: Positive. No amount of Duck monsters will beat me today.

Top Bottom