• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

me and a few friends got back into this after a 10 month hiatus.

so much fun! what a great game. finally killed the deviljo and working on the 6 star quests now.

syoaran

Chopper Dave said:
Monster Hunter Tri G! They call me a fool for still believing but they'll see. Oh they'll all see! There's gold in them mountains I tells ya heehee!

Possible, considering the NGP links with emulation. But 3rd is actually quite good from a casual perspective, I'm very much enjoying it.

udivision said:
Any willing to point me in the direction of a crash-course on monhun online etiquette? I think I might start going multi...
1) Do your best not to disrupt your teammates (LS Spirit Combo, Lance charge, upswings, etc.)

2) If you're in a monster specific room, don't post other monsters unless everyone is okay with it. Take turns posting quests if you're in a non-specific room.

3) Chill out and have a good time. Don't rage at others for little mistakes.

4) Make a genuine effort to help out the team instead of leeching off others.

Hiltz

Also, bring lifepowder whenever you can. Your teammates will love you for it.

If you're team is going to use barrel bombs on a monster when it its sleeping/caught in a trap, then make sure everyone is out of the way before exploding the bombs! Careless low rank players can easily be killed by standing close to two barrel bomb+ explosions.

udivision

Thanks.
Went multi. Had a blast. Got from hr13 to hr17. And to think I was going to solo to HR30+
What does LifePowder do? I have some but don't use it.

Tenbatsu

Dreavus said:
Underwater battles are cool!

Except I always bring a lance because I cannot seem to dodge anything underwater. >_>
Underwater lesson 01: Always dodge up and down!

Boney said:
can't believe you never played with me ten

you such a big meanie
Let's rock! Erm, but your Wii is dead :/

Nicktals

Banned
Chopper Dave said:
Met up with Khory and finally got a chance to hunt again for the first time since December. Not that a few months is a very long time but it's just as fun as I remember. I'm glad to know I wasn't a complete mess out there after so long. Hopefully more of the Wisdom1/gate 40 fishing crew can get together again from time to time to play.

Would love to hunt with you guys again. Before 3 eastern, or after 10 eastern usually works for me. Would love to get back on with you guys.

udivision said:
Hmm... mixing armor sets is a bad thing?
I like my Attack Up (L) though...

Mixing armor sets, especially for high level, is a very good thing.

Raide

B-Genius said:
I make no exaggeration when I say Monster Hunter 3DS would make me buy the system.

Raide mate, these journals are a lot of fun! I remember my first Barroth (50 solid minutes of lunch break one day at work), and your stories take me back to my first time playing the series. It really is a magical game, although I'm having trouble going back to Tri now I've got P3rd.

Thanks. I have not played a game in ages that has dragged me in so much. Checked my in-game counter and it said nearly 80 hours. :D While the controls and combat are a little tricky to start with, once you have them sorted the game really clicks. Yes it still has some annoying issues but not enough to make me hate the game. I fail at something, I try something different or I grind for materials and craft something better.

On a side note, what happened to Monster Hunter Frontier on the 360?

As for new Monster Hunter games, I would buy a new Wii version in a heartbeat but would love to see a 360/PS3 MH game announced. As much as I love Tri, even with better Wii cables, I still yearn for a HD version. I know a 3DS or even NGP version would be awesome but I am not much of a handheld gamers. Much prefer sitting down and murdering monsters. :D

LuFel

PounchEnvy said:
Lifepowder heals everyone in the same area. It's great for arenas or difficult quests.

i use all recovery items on missions (herbs, Potions, H.potions, Max potion, ancient Potion, Med Herb for poison enemies, lifepowder, and ATTk & DEF potions). - im HR 77.

Luigiv

Raide said:
On a side note, what happened to Monster Hunter Frontier on the 360?
What do you mean? It released on schedule and is still getting full support from Capcom with the same updates the PC version gets.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Luigiv said:
What do you mean? It released on schedule and is still getting full support from Capcom with the same updates the PC version gets.
Why wouldn't it? It's the same game, cross platform and everything, like FFXI, no?

Anyway he probably means localisation wise, so the answer is nothing.

Raide

Luigiv said:

In the EU or just US/Japan? I tried some googling but found nothing about the EU version. Would really pick it up if I could have EU access. Unless the other versions are import friendly. :D

Hiltz

udivision said:
Hmm... mixing armor sets is a bad thing?
I like my Attack Up (L) though...

There's absolutely nothing wrong with mixing armor sets. In fact, you can basically get specific armor skills by doing this such as Sharpness+1 and earplugs/Huge Earplugs among other valuable armor skills as well as extra armor slots.

upandaway

Hiltz said:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with mixing armor sets. In fact, you can basically get specific armor skills by doing this such as Sharpness+1 and earplugs/Huge Earplugs among other valuable armor skills as well as extra armor slots.
I think it's GameFAQs which has a guide full of this? Insane things like Sharpness+1, Evasion+2, AND HG Earplugs, or switch Evasion+2 with Focus, or settle for Evasion+1, normal Earplugs and Focus, or just scrap both Evasion and Focus for Attack L. I've seen it. It's true.

The charms it requires are equally insane though
axfDd.gif
and I'm someone who's kind of lucky with charms. Just recently I got Recovery+7 2 slots, Stun+10 2 slots (this one is a star for me, because Lagi fucks me over whenever he stuns me), all elemental resistance +10's.. yeah I'm pretty lucky. My friend keeps getting +1's and +2's with no slots.

Hiltz

Ya, gamefaqs and other places like the monster hunter wiki forum all have info and and links about mixed armor skills and stuff.

I originally used an evasion+6 1 slot talisman and gemmed in evade+1 armor skill. A few weeks ago, I found the rare Evasion+7 2-slot talisman so now I can use evade+2 on Helios+ mixed armor set or just use evade+1 on full armor sets like Uragaan, Deviljho, or Escadora.

Here's an example of why mixed Helios+ is better than full Helios low rank and high rank sets:

Low rank Helios (overforged)

defense: Same amount as Helios+
armor skills: Sharpness+1 and Huge Earplugs
negative armor skills: Demonic Blessing, Blunt Edge
amount of armor slots: 1

This set has potential but it is ruined by thed two negative skills (even if you manage to get rid of them) and only 1 armor slot.The Demonic Blessing skill will give you a 25% chance of attacks doing 30% more damage. The Blunt Edge skill doubles the rate of your weapon losing its sharpness.

High rank Helios+

defense: same
amount of slots: 6
armor skills: Huge Earplugs, Sharpness+1
negative skills: Demonic Blessing, Blunt Edge

The only real difference here is that this armor set has 5 more armor slots. Unfortunately, it still suffers from having the same two negative skills. It would still be a waste to use your talisman and armor slots to get rid of those skills.

Mixed Helios+

(helios+ helm, mail, and vambraces with low rank Helios coil, and Deviljho greaves)

There's some alternative armor parts you can swap out to still get the same skills.

defense: same
amount of slots: 6
armor skills: Sharpness+1, Huge Earplugs
negative skills: none

Not only do you now get two great armor skills, but you don't have to worry about having to get rid of any bad ones! Plus, you can use those 6 slots and any talisman to gem in another armor skill(s). Of course, you can still get even more armor slots depending the weapon you use. However, I don't think you can get any more than two extra armor skills maximum.

qq more

People are still playing this game? That's cool. I've been thinking of playing it again but I don't think any of my friends plays the game anymore. It's been a while though.

Hiltz

qq more said:
People are still playing this game? That's cool. I've been thinking of playing it again but I don't think any of my friends plays the game anymore. It's been a while though.

The online community is still pretty active for a Wii game in the North American version. There's still a good amount of low rank hunters too.

rdaneel72

I'm still playing. Took a short break around Xmas to play some new games, but none are as satisfying as MH3. I'm at about 280 hours, just hit HR 40 this weekend. And while I've been having lots of problems with disconnects and network instability lately, when I do get a good connection, it is smooth like butter.

Monster Hunter is the anti-gamersphere game. Besides the lack of HD, there is no pointless story, no asinine cutscenes where developers indulge in their fantasies to be taken seriously as writers. It is all pure gameplay, with dozens of compex sub-systems that must be mastered. Most games these days are like a carnival ride. You are led along a track, watching everything unfold exactly as the developer intends, and never feeling like you are really in control.

In MH3, the story is the gameplay. The story is your experience playing the game, mastering the systems and the complex controls, desigining a strategy and following through with it. The developers have created a system that you interact with, and create your own tales, rather than just a movie you sit and watch. No two hunts are the same.

It is a challenging game that demands practice, but the rewards for understanding its systems and mastering its controls are great. Nothing is more satisfying than finally killing a troublesome beast, or carving that coveted gem from his carcass.

OT of the year?
Clicked this link wondering what all the fuss is about with this game, OP answered every question I had, then every question that came to mind while reading, and then some more without it all getting convoluted.

Good job.

diditz

Neo Member
well i think the only thing to get your choosen favourite skill is mixing your sets.
like one of my favourite set, Sharpness+1, focus, crit draw, earplugs, and heat cancel (low).

for the helios sets, you can mix headless set to get sharpness+1 and HG earplugs (means you can use any head part to get another skill).

head: empty
body: helios mail+
arm: helios vambraces+
waist: vangis coil
greaves : helios greaves+

that makes handicraft +17 and hearing +15

Hiltz

I'll have to try experimenting with using another helmet with the Helios+ mixed armor set but need one with 3 armor slots in order to keep evade+2.

Dober, Great Baggi+, Rathian+, Rathalos+, Damascus, and Chakra are the only ones that offer 3 armor slots. Just gotta see which extra skill they'll end up offering.

Hiltz

diditz said:
hmm, you said before that you have the eva 7oo ?
that makes a lot easier to get sharpness+1, HGE, eva+2

Yeah, I have that talisman and those current skills. Using a different helmet with 3 armor slots would offer an extra skill, right ?

Poyunch

Boney said:
Yeah while we were fighting >.>
Pssh...
Not always...

I'll fix this "habit" if a new MonHun comes out on a platform that isn't PSP (no offense to PSP I just rather save money for NGP).

Boney

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Pssh...
Not always...

I'll fix this "habit" if a new MonHun comes out on a platform that isn't PSP (no offense to PSP I just rather save money for NGP).
im just fucking with yaaaaaaaaaaa

Tenbatsu

You don't need HG Ear Plug if you have Evade +2. I would highly recommend to replace it with another.

Edit: A full set Helios+ can get you Evade +2, Sharpness +1, HG Earplug + a negative skill with that Rare charm you have. To cancel the negative skill, replace the arm, waist and legging to normal Helios armor.

Hiltz

Tenbatsu said:
You don't need HG Ear Plug if you have Evade +2. I would highly recommend to replace it with another.

Edit: A full set Helios+ can get you Evade +2, Sharpness +1, HG Earplug + a negative skill with that Rare charm you have. To cancel the negative skill, replace the arm, waist and legging to normal Helios armor.

I just figured that there's no harm in letting the evade+7 two-slot talisman go to waste. Besides, I can't gem in any other skill when using evade+ 1 anyway. However, I do realize that using evade+2 with huge earplugs is still overkill.

I may eventually change the set to your alternative suggestion. At least the armor set would match.

Hiltz said:
I just figured that there's no harm in letting the evade+7 two-slot talisman go to waste. Besides, I can't gem in any other skill when using evade+ 1 anyway. However, I do realize that using evade+2 with huge earplugs is still overkill.

I may eventually change the set to your alternative suggestion. At least the armor set would match.
What weapon is this set for? Because you can usually squeeze in another useful skill if you have that awesome charm. You definitely don't have to worry about it going to waste since so many sets can utilize it.

I was trying to make a S+1, E+1, EaU, and Earplugs set but because of my +7 Evade 0 charm, I came one point short from getting EaU. :[

Hiltz

Little Green Yoda said:
What weapon is this set for? Because you can usually squeeze in another useful skill if you have that awesome charm. You definitely don't have to worry about it going to waste since so many sets can utilize it.

I was trying to make a S+1, E+1, EaU, and Earplugs set but because of my +7 Evade 0 charm, I came one point short from getting EaU. :[

That sucks to be only off by one skill point. :(

I use that set mainly for switch axe. That talisman popped up on the rewards screen after doing a high rank Rathalos hunt in volcano a few weeks ago.

The switch axes I use with Helios+ mixed don't have much armor slots. Great Inceadus and Amber Hoarfrost have none, and Flame Tempest and GreatDemon Bind P each have one. Used againsed monsters such as Uragaan, Agnkator, Diablos, Rathian and Rathalos, and Alatreon.

Raide

Monster Hunter Journal: Day 9

One of the more annoying issues of being the local village Monster Hunter is that they now expect me to throw myself at every beast that shows its ugly face.

Today I found myself trudging through a swamp, knee deep in sludge and Aptonoth droppings. According to the Guild Girl (Not to Self: I think she just loves sending me on do-or-die quests.) I have to hunt out a creature called the Gobul. Underwater combat is not one of my favourite things but I doubt the Gobul is going to give me a chance.

Now, according to my sources i.e. ChaCha, the Gobul is a rather large fish creature with a large flashing bulb on its head. Sounds like one of those deep sea fish, so I will have to keep my eyes open...or closed, which ever the case may be. The water is getting much deeper, so that means I have to start swimming underwater more. Not only is swinging a sword around much harder than normal, most of the water is a muddy brown colour, which makes spotting monsters even harder than it usually is.

Out of the corner of my eye I spot some water plants that I can harvest, funny that the bubbles are right next to it. I managed to get close enough and rip one out of the ground but it does not look like any of the plants I have seen so far. Suddenly I am belted through the water and I cannot move a muscle. Chacha is handy as always and comes over to belt me back into conciousness. As I get my bearings, a huge row of teeth confront me. Within seconds the most blinding light hits me and I wake up in the camp. I get the feeling that was the Gobul.

The key tactic would be to take out the Gobul bulb to prevent it blinding me and eating my face. Wandering back through the swamps, then diving back into the murky water, seemed like a crazy plan but after scanning around for a few moments, I spotted the same plants with bubbles coming out of them, so it was best to not pick them and instead stab them. That did the trick but now the Gobul is really annoyed. Now was not the time to back down, so I wildly stabbed at the Gobul bulb, which is seems to really hate. It also seems way more agile than a mere human, so getting it onto land would be my best option.

Using myself as bait, I slowly forced the Gobul to get closer and close to land and as I scrambled to safety, the Gobul did exactly what I wanted it to do. It shot out of the water with great speed, landing and killing some hapless Bnahabra bug. With the Gobul out of its natural territory, things seemed to be going my way. He was still agile but his fat waddling body was not built for the land. With another flurry of blows, I managed to lop the whole Gobul bulb off! It screamed in pain and then proceeded to puff up and deploy numerous pointy barbs from its skin. Despite its lack of agility on land, it was now a much bigger object to avoid. A few handy rolls and dodges and the Gobul was panting and wheezing. Time to go in for the kill.

After what felt like an eternity, I prodded the lifeless corpse off the Gobul, as Chacha carved a few chunks from its corpse. Looking around for a few seconds, I grabbed the Gobul bulb and headed off to the village. This will come in handy.

Current Outlook: Wet.

I've been considering getting this game for quite awhile. And I think I'm finally going to grab it today on my way home from work.
Raide - To be honest, I think your journal entries are what have given me that final push and convinced me to finally get the game. I love reading them, so please keep posting them!

How long should a MH noob like myself expect to spend in single player before I'm ready to try some multiplayer. I'd love to try the online at some point, but I worry about going on and being the weak link that causes a team to fail a hunt.

Insaniac

i've been lookin to jump back in with some people I've got at least 500 hours under my belt and I've got a 70ish HR character so I'm willing to do High rank, or help out low rankers.

Hiltz

If you didn't know, you can use frog bait to fish Gobul out of area 4 while standing on the fishin spot to fight him on land. Gathering spots for frogs are Deserted Island/Moga Woods area 10 next to the log on the right side. Another spot is area 2 of Flooded Forest next to a small plant close to the exit to area 4.

BentMyWookiee said:
I've been considering getting this game for quite awhile. And I think I'm finally going to grab it today on my way home from work.
Raide - To be honest, I think your journal entries are what have given me that final push and convinced me to finally get the game. I love reading them, so please keep posting them!

How long should a MH noob like myself expect to spend in single player before I'm ready to try some multiplayer. I'd love to try the online at some point, but I worry about going on and being the weak link that causes a team to fail a hunt.

At the very least, play the single player mode long enough to get access to the farm system. That way, you won't have to spend nearly as much time gathering herbs, honey, seeds, and bugs.

I can help you onine later if you play the North American version of the game. That way, you can get better equipment faster which you can also use in the single player mode.

Hiltz said:
That sucks to be only off by one skill point. :(

I use that set mainly for switch axe. That talisman popped up on the rewards screen after doing a high rank Rathalos hunt in volcano a few weeks ago.

The switch axes I use with Helios+ mixed don't have much armor slots. Great Inceadus and Amber Hoarfrost have none, and Flame Tempest and GreatDemon Bind P each have one. Used againsed monsters such as Uragaan, Agnkator, Diablos, Rathian and Rathalos, and Alatreon.
Yeah it sucks. I intended to use the set for the SA as well and it's a bummer that there aren't any good SAs with more than one slot. The extra slot on your charm should allow you to get this set. It needs one weapon slot but between Black Harvest/Thunderstrike/Great DemonBind, you should have Ura/Agna/Ian/Los covered. It should give you a bit more damage with EAU at the expense of losing a few frames of evasion (E+2 is generally overkill from what I hear anyhow).

Blos and Ala will need HGE so you're probably stuck with the HGE/S+1/E+2 set you already have.

If you also didn't know, you can carve Gobul's whiskers while he's submerged in the water and hasn't yet noticed you. Uncoincidentally it's also the most common method to get Gobul Whiskers.

Top Bottom