• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Raide

Monster Hunter Journal: Day 6

One thing I have noticed since being on this island. I seem to spent hours and hours roaming the land, murdering their inhabitants and then turning them into armour and weapons. You would think I would get bored after the first Great Jaggi but as I do requests for the Guild, I keep encountering more and more variety.

I encountered a weird creature called ChaCha. It looks like a small child but with a large acorn strapped to his head. I spotted him getting kicked around by Jaggia, so I jumped in to help out. Now it follows me around, even helping out with various songs (Is he some tribal bard?) and even jumping in with combat. Several times ChaCha helped out during battles and even saved me a few times. Certainly helpful but I get the feeling it thinks I am its minion, mainly here to supply it with meat.

Much has happened since downing various beasts, including the fact I have started to resemble a Qurupeco. Even my weapon is crafted from Qurupeco parts, so it has a large flint at the end and even bursts into fire when used. Handy! It seems that making armour from a particular creature, gives you similar element defences as that creature has. The Qurupeco seems to be fire based, so using the same weapon does not do much, so you have to find something each monster hates.

This leads on to fighting the Royal Ludroth. Now this beast is very quick, hates fire and is mostly made of sponge. I have already fought the basic Ludroth, which also happens to be the female of the species. The male has a large spongy mane, which it seems to use to cool itself down. Spending most of its time near water, the key seems to be damaging the sponge to prevent it from defending itself too much. Certainly an epic battle and standing to the side of it is not advised, since he has the bad rabbit of rolling around, crushing hapless hunters.

Again, it seems that I spend hours killing monsters and building items out of them. The Qurupeco outfit looks realy good but I don't think I want a Royal Ludroth suit. All that sponge would look stupid and bound to be really hot.

Next up a creature called Barroth. The Guild Girl said he was a little hard-headed, not sure what she means.

Current Outlook: Feel more like a Monster Hunter Tailor currently.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I've had this game lying around since launch but never played more than an hour or two. Is it still worth getting into?

hiro4

Ushojax said:
I've had this game lying around since launch but never played more than an hour or two. Is it still worth getting into?

Yes it is.

There are still people only playing, not as much as in the beginning but still quite a lot.
And if you can get 3 of your friends to play together it is always fun.

Ushojax said:

I'm going back into it. I'm currently trying to set up a small reunion with some former hunting buddies on my site, getting a weekly hunting session running.
Not sure if it's going to work. :-/

I had the problem that at launch I couldn't play the game due to an upcoming Latin exam, and by the time I finished that, I had other things in mind (festival season)

Raide

I am really late to Monster Hunter Tri but as you can tell from my Journals, I am having great fun. I have not played a game in ages that has hooked me. Looked at my Game Time and its nearly 50 hours. Damn!

I really love the progression of the game. Learning to fight one monster by trial and error, finally beating it and progressing to something harder. The feeling of accomplishment is something the game nails perfectly. Plus the grind is there but its not really heavy and works well as you progress in the game. You farm one boss to get parts for armour/weapons and saving the sets for quick equipping is a great idea.

Really wish I had got into teh game on launch, since it seems a bit quiet now. Not even jumped online yet. Will keep playing and getting my skills up before I dive in.

Also, after the first few encounters, I found the Wii-remote to be really tricky to keep track of enemies. The D-Pad camera rotate is horrible. Within 3 days I picked up a Classic Controller Pro and never looked back. Once you get into the game, the Pro version is the way forward.

Tenbatsu

Yeah 10,000 posts for this thread!

Am currently bout 200hrs on MHP3rd, still I will boot up Tri once a while to slay a few monsters. Miss underwater!

Raide

Just a quick question, is there anyway to get to the Desert/Snow/Rain area without having to do a Quest? Would be nice if I could free roam there.

Tenbatsu

Raide said:
Just a quick question, is there anyway to get to the Desert/Snow/Rain area without having to do a Quest? Would be nice if I could free roam there.
Just select the Harvest Tour quests will do. You can free roam for 50 mins. But you will have to clear till star 4 for offline to be able to do that.

Nicktals

Banned
Raide said:

Later on you'll get "quests" that are essentially free roam quests. You still have to select it from the guild lady, but there's no real objective. Just to go and farm and mine (i believe monsters will still occasionally show up but no need to fight).

Raide

Tenbatsu said:
Just select the Harvest Tour quests will do. You can free roam for 50 mins. But you will have to clear till star 4 for offline to be able to do that.

Nicktals said:
Later on you'll get "quests" that are essentially free roam quests. You still have to select it from the guild lady, but there's no real objective. Just to go and farm and mine (i believe monsters will still occasionally show up but no need to fight).

I have the harvest tours, so they are the best to do for a bit of farming? Last time I did that I ran into Gigganox. :D RUUUUUUUUUNNNNNN!

Got the Anata Longsword earlier. Damn I love this thing. I was a first "Sword and Shield" person but this thing does rock. I was trying to get the Pot Mask for ChaCha, mainly to get my Mega Demondrug early. Need Peco Chopper!

john tv

Tenbatsu said:
Yeah 10,000 posts for this thread!

Am currently bout 200hrs on MHP3rd, still I will boot up Tri once a while to slay a few monsters. Miss underwater!
Yeah man, never thought I'd miss those advanced Gobul runs, but I have to say, nothing in MHP3 has felt quite as satisfying as some of those epic water battles with Gobul or Lagi. Smashing that antenna is so satisfying, LOL

Raide

john tv said:
Yeah man, never thought I'd miss those advanced Gobul runs, but I have to say, nothing in MHP3 has felt quite as satisfying as some of those epic water battles with Gobul or Lagi. Smashing that antenna is so satisfying, LOL

Damn, he was a pain in solo, must be awesome online. After a good few attempts, I sliced his lantern right off and then crafted something with it! Hurrar.

Raide said:
Damn, he was a pain in solo, must be awesome online. After a good few attempts, I sliced his lantern right off and then crafted something with it! Hurrar.

Gobul is actually pretty interesting to fight, once you learned his patterns. He's the perfect training for Lagiacrus.
Raide said:
Also, after the first few encounters, I found the Wii-remote to be really tricky to keep track of enemies. The D-Pad camera rotate is horrible. Within 3 days I picked up a Classic Controller Pro and never looked back. Once you get into the game, the Pro version is the way forward.

Yeah the CCP is practically a necessity for this game. The plethora of commands and button combinations are simply tailor made for it.

Raide

boris feinbrand said:
Gobul is actually pretty interesting to fight, once you learned his patterns. He's the perfect training for Lagiacrus.

Yeah, one of the things I really love about the game is learning about the different attack patterns. Funny , I was once worried about Great Jaggi, now he is a pushover. :D

I like the fact that the variety of boss monsters is one of Monster Hunters best features. My only annoyance is going out with a weapon built for one boss and another one joins in during the fight. Things can get really manic, especially if the boss fight was dragged out.

boris feinbrand said:
Yeah the CCP is practically a necessity for this game. The plethora of commands and button combinations are simply tailor made for it.

The only thing that annoys me about CCP is randomly I press the Y button and use something I did not want to. Always confuse it with putting my weapon away.

Raide said:
Yeah, one of the things I really love about the game is learning about the different attack patterns. Funny , I was once worried about Great Jaggi, now he is a pushover. :D

I like the fact that the variety of boss monsters is one of Monster Hunters best features. My only annoyance is going out with a weapon built for one boss and another one joins in during the fight. Things can get really manic, especially if the boss fight was dragged out.
Tell me about it. Especially later on, where I left the game basically, fights can become huge material eating bouts. At times I had to go offline because I didn't have enough materials to create enough healing potions anymore. I also dismissed status enhancing potions for far too long.
That in particular made me run into a wall difficulty wise with Monsters like Diablos or Uragaan.

Hell I never even fought against Deviljiho. I might now that I'm trying to get a Hunter gang back together.

Raide said:
The only thing that annoys me about CCP is randomly I press the Y button and use something I did not want to. Always confuse it with putting my weapon away.

Yep I guess that's going to be the biggest starting problem for me as well going back into MH3. The amount of button combos and shortcuts as well as double and tripple assignments to a single button is pretty confusing for starters.

Tenbatsu

john tv said:
Seriously, Sprsk and you got a fetish for Gobul. Poor Gobul is on it's way to extinction. No wonder he lives in the sand now :/

Raide said:
I gave up the CCP (finished the Japan version with this setup) after I mastered the Wiimote + nunchuk on the NA version. There is no turning back.

Raide

Tenbatsu said:
Seriously, Sprsk and you got a fetish for Gobul. Poor Gobul is on it's way to extinction. No wonder he lives in the sand now :/

I gave up the CCP (finished the Japan version with this setup) after I mastered the Wiimote + nunchuk on the NA version. There is no turning back.

Its just the camera stuff that made me swap to CCP. It really is tricky to be moving, and rotating the camera and attacking when you have the normal Wii-remote.

Also, using the Wii-remote to add monsters to the book seems a little odd. Not too bad on normal Controllers but using CCP means I have to put it down just to use the remote. Any benefit for adding the monsters or is it just basic info?

Tenbatsu

Raide said:
Its just the camera stuff that made me swap to CCP. It really is tricky to be moving, and rotating the camera and attacking when you have the normal Wii-remote.

Also, using the Wii-remote to add monsters to the book seems a little odd. Not too bad on normal Controllers but using CCP means I have to put it down just to use the remote. Any benefit for adding the monsters or is it just basic info?
Just basic info and to keep track of your kills.

Nicktals

Banned
Raide said:

I haven't done it, but I believe it has been mentioned that there's an option to be able to add monsters using an analog stick (or maybe even d-pad?) Again, I haven't done this, so I can't vouch for whether it's any better or worse, but I do believe an option exists.

Proven

Tenbatsu said:
Same way I feel about it. It's specifically because the CCP schemes have so many multi-function buttons that I ended up finding the Nunchuck loads easier to learn.

Raide

Monster Hunter Journal: Day 7

I remember how much I hated The Great Jaggi but now he is a walkover. I have no fear when he ruins my monster party, or jumps me when I am scavenging for herbs and exotic mushrooms. Unfortunately a new creature has taken the place of the Great Jaggi...the Barroth.

I now fully understand what the Guild Girl meant when she said he was hard headed. After hunting around the desert areas, I came across a muddy pool with annoying insects floating around. I also noticed a clump of rocks floating around, which was instantly suspect. As I slowly paced forwards, the Barroth burst from the water, caked in mud and looking really annoyed that I woke him up.

The first thing I noticed was that this beast is very well armoured. My trusty sword and shield seemed useless against his tough hide covered in globules of mud. Not only was his armoured defence solid, he was also very nasty and vicious. After landing a few lucky blows, he roared so loads my ears were ringing. Even Chacha was freaked out by the sudden noise. As I looked up, smoke billowed from the head of the Barroth. The next thing I knew, I woke up in the village with a stinking headache. (Note to self: Must thank those cats. They worked overtime)

I would need to approach Barroth with the same fear that I had with the Great Jaggi but I would also have to adapt and learns its weakness. Then I could turn him into new armour. With all the mud covering his body, maybe water would be a good idea. I then had to think back to what creatures I had bested that seemed to be water based...then it hit me...the Royal Ludroth. If I managed to down him once, I could do it again. He might help me turn the tides on this muddy annoyance.

It seems that the frequency of monster attacks goes up every time I kill or capture one of them. The Village Chiefs son seems to be able to accurately predict what will turn up outside of Moga Village, so it was best I talked to him. After a length chat about random village things, he told me that tomorrow would have 2 Royal Ludroth appearing in the woods. It would make sense to heal up my wounds, practice some more, craft some new armour and weapons and head out to battle the Barroth once more.

Current Outlook: Tired but focused on the following day.

Teknoman

TheBaldEmperor said:
It has been too long since I've played this. Once the semester is over I think it's time get back to hunting!

Right? I fell off track for some reason...guess just real life stuff among other things, but i'm itching to jump back in at some point. Only problem is, I think everyone I played with left me behind :p

I ended up stopping around the time Jhen Mohran reared it's ugly head for the second time.

Maybe i'll be able to jump online again with some of the newcomers, helping them out so I can get back into the swing of things.

EDIT: What, no underwater battles in portable 3rd? Pfft, those Royal Ludroth chases were awesome.

upandaway

I... I need to confess something. I was wrong. I was blind.

Here's the deal: I went poison gunning with the first light bowgun, for some Monster Fluid (finally got Lava Core thanks to the Phantom Uragaan). In the Moga Forest.

Turns out I had 99 Normal 2's, Rapid Fire on 'em, and a Rathalos just popped up midway... so I went for it. I mean hey, naked Rathalos gunning with the weakest weapon, can't go wrong.

Then I made him flinch, and then go into rage mode. Then I realized....

This shit's fun. Gunning is damn fun. I was completely oblivious to this.

Now I'm kinda scared, because I already have a full A4 page full of items I need to upgrade my 20-something weapons of various types. I found comfort in the fact I didn't need to invest in bowguns, and I was slowly reaching max on more and more of my weapons.

It also means more armor sets... what the fuck did I just do to myself.

Kyoufu

upandaway said:

Here's the deal: I went poison gunning with the first light bowgun, for some Monster Fluid (finally got Lava Core thanks to the Phantom Uragaan). In the Moga Forest.

Turns out I had 99 Normal 2's, Rapid Fire on 'em, and a Rathalos just popped up midway... so I went for it. I mean hey, naked Rathalos gunning with the weakest weapon, can't go wrong.

Now I'm kinda scared, because I already have a full A4 page full of items I need to upgrade my 20-something weapons of various types. I found comfort in the fact I didn't need to invest in bowguns, and I was slowly reaching max on more and more of my weapons.

You just discovered the beauty of MonHun.

Raide

Boney said:
Great journal Raide!

I am a good chunk ahead of my Journal, since I am utterly addicted to killing one thing and moving on to the next. :D

Plus collecting new suits of armour and weapons is soooooooooo good.

upandaway said:

I gunned most of Monster Hunter 1. It was indeed awesome.

Kyoufu

upandaway said:
That's a little bit pushing it (oh glorious, almighty lance) but yeah I'm really excited.

I think you misunderstand. I mean the beauty of MonHun is all the weapon types and how each and every one is an experience in itself.

Apenheul

When I came back from vacation last week I felt the urge to play Monster Hunter Tri online again. I used to care only about leveling and finishing quests but after I beat Alatreon I found myself farming gems and plates to upgrade my Great Swords. This is when MH is really starting to eat spare-time. "I'm not going to sleep before I get my Rathalos Plate".

upandaway

Kyoufu said:
I think you misunderstand. I mean the beauty of MonHun is all the weapon types and how each and every one is an experience in itself.
Oh yeah I definitely misunderstood.

It really is incredible. Hammering a Rathian is a completely different experience from using the LS. With the hammer you'll be in her face the whole fight, with the Ls most of the time I'm between the back of her wing and tail, and the attacks you're vulnerable to are completely different.

Now that I adopted gunning, and just recently I realized GS is actually playable on the PSP (rather, not with the Wiimote) and really satisfying.... I'm officially going deep into every single weapon class. Those were the two weapons I never used before on Tri.

Raide

Monster Hunter Journal: Day 8

After my initial failed encounter with the Barroth, I had to approach him with a little more caution. One of the things I have learnt, and this seems to work for everything I have battled so far...don't run straight at them. After nearly getting flattened by the Barroth a few times, It is a valuable lesson to learn.

My theory proved correct when it came to the Ludroth parts. The Village Blacksmith managed to craft me a very odd sword and shield, which seemed to gush water with every solid strike. With all luck, this weapon could prove useful is dropping the mud barrier that covered the Barroth. My only concern was what was underneath all the protective mud. I was hoping it was something squishy that I could easily break through.

My companion Chacha is proving very useful since he is helping me track the Barroth. It proved doubly useful since I can avoid all the random encounters that might slow me from my real aim. Downing the great Barroth. I am counting on Chacha to tell me when the monster is weak, just so I know if the end is in sight.

Within moments I found myself in a familiar place by the pool infested with flying insects. I could also see the head markings of the Barroth as he slowly moved around underwater. Reaching into my pocket I picked up a very useful item, a Flash Bomb, which was then hurled towards the Barroth. The upside of the device is that it brings him out without getting hit. The downside is that he comes out very, very angry. Running around like mad until he has calmed again can really help, since the angrier he is, the more likely the cats will have to be around to drag me back to camp.

Two parts of the Barroth seem to be the most frustrating. The front, for obvious reasons and also his tail, which seems unusual long for such a stumpy beast. Several times I avoided his front charge, only to be belted in the head by his wide swinging tail. Taking a slightly wider distance from him after his crazy charge seems to be the wise plan. Also, the Ludroth weapon seems to be working really well. With every strike more and more mud falls from his body, which seems to show that he real body is a redish brown and also very squishy on his underbelly. Perfect!

After what seemed like several hours and numerous close encounters with cat transport, the Barroth fell. I flopped down beside his corpse to catch my breath. This was another hard earned victory and another chance to craft some new things that may prove useful in later encounters.

Current Outlook: Slightly concussed and glad to be alive.

Met up with Khory and finally got a chance to hunt again for the first time since December. Not that a few months is a very long time but it's just as fun as I remember. I'm glad to know I wasn't a complete mess out there after so long. Hopefully more of the Wisdom1/gate 40 fishing crew can get together again from time to time to play.

Boney

Banned
Chopper Dave said:
Met up with Khory and finally got a chance to hunt again for the first time since December. Not that a few months is a very long time but it's just as fun as I remember. I'm glad to know I wasn't a complete mess out there after so long. Hopefully more of the Wisdom1/gate 40 fishing crew can get together again from time to time to play.
I'd love to, but currently my Wii is in storage, and well, disc drive is still half dead. Unless I fix it soon, I'm guessing we'll see each other in the next portable outing.

3DS anyone?

Disguises

Boney said:
I'd love to, but currently my Wii is in storage, and well, disc drive is still half dead. Unless I fix it soon, I'm guessing we'll see each other in the next portable outing.

3DS anyone?
YES. Oh god, yes.

I've sorta been out of the Monster Hunter loop for a while. Might jump back in soon, but I've been so busy with life and had a host of other games to play!

While I'm here: Me and a friend were talking about what game you wish you could forget and experience for the first time again and I thought of Monster Hunter 3. Just been overwhelmed by the sheer amount of options and items at the start. Getting my ass kicked by Ludroth and slowly learning each and every monsters attack patterns and weak spots. Farming that one monster for that one item you need to get that new weapon. Jumping online and fighting my first Jhen Mohran and of course - the first encounter with Deviljho. So awesome.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Boney said:
3DS anyone?
I make no exaggeration when I say Monster Hunter 3DS would make me buy the system.

Raide mate, these journals are a lot of fun! I remember my first Barroth (50 solid minutes of lunch break one day at work), and your stories take me back to my first time playing the series. It really is a magical game, although I'm having trouble going back to Tri now I've got P3rd.

Boney said:

3DS anyone?

Monster Hunter Tri G! They call me a fool for still believing but they'll see. Oh they'll all see! There's gold in them mountains I tells ya heehee!

Boney

Banned
Chopper Dave said:
Monster Hunter Tri G! They call me a fool for still believing but they'll see. Oh they'll all see! There's gold in them mountains I tells ya heehee!
I'd rather get that first, but if it ever comes out, it'll be japan only.

Top Bottom