• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Hiltz

Little Green Yoda said:
Yeah it sucks. I intended to use the set for the SA as well and it's a bummer that there aren't any good SAs with more than one slot. The extra slot on your charm should allow you to get this set. It needs one weapon slot but between Black Harvest/Thunderstrike/Great DemonBind, you should have Ura/Agna/Ian/Los covered. It should give you a bit more damage with EAU at the expense of losing a few frames of evasion (E+2 is generally overkill from what I hear anyhow).

Blos and Ala will need HGE so you're probably stuck with the HGE/S+1/E+2 set you already have.

Thanks for the help.

Raide

BentMyWookiee said:
I've been considering getting this game for quite awhile. And I think I'm finally going to grab it today on my way home from work.
Raide - To be honest, I think your journal entries are what have given me that final push and convinced me to finally get the game. I love reading them, so please keep posting them!

How long should a MH noob like myself expect to spend in single player before I'm ready to try some multiplayer. I'd love to try the online at some point, but I worry about going on and being the weak link that causes a team to fail a hunt.

Thanks, they are fun to write, especially some of the more annoying battles. :D

I would say that spending a good chunk in the SP is the best way to start. Not only with you learn all the little bits about weapons and how to use items, you will also have a good variety of weapons and armour to use, since some are better suited for different encounters. Also, you will learn how to fight monsters and do's and don't for each of them. There are things online that people hate others doing, so its always handy to know what you're doing and how you work as a team.

Just to let you know, my in-game counter says 90 hours (which is pretty low). I love loot games but cannot believe I was so LTTP on MH-Tri. Once you sort the controls (Some people swear by the Wii Remote but I tried the CC Pro and loved it, so see what fits you.)

Things I found out as I started to play...

1) Camera controls. The main reason I swapped to CC Pro. Can be annoying to track monsters with the D-Pad and still be able to dodge and attack. In the more complex battles, the camera really annoyed me, so if you have a CC or CC-Pro, try it and see how you get on.

2) Timings for weapons. Sword and Shield = Nice and quick + Blocking. Great Swords = Slow as hell but big damage. You start with SnS, so get the combo timings sorted and it will be ok. After that just make and try out what works for you. This can be the deal breaker for some starting the game, so nail down which one you like.

3) Harvest everything! I mean everything. Mushrooms, honey, skins, herbs. Just keep collecting stuff every chance you get. They will come in handy later, I promise. You have loads of bank space, so feel free to keep chucking stuff in there. For quest rewards, always send to your bank, unless you don't need it. (If its a useless object, sell it, else bank it. Pretty much everything has a use.)

4) Learn how to use the Farm and Fishing Boats. Blue Mushrooms + Herbs = Health Potion. So grow loads of these initially. Fishing means you can either sell them for cash or trade them for Resources. Some fish are also used for ammo and other things but mainly useful for Resources.

5) Resources, these are what you use as currency to run the Farm, use the Fishing boats and a few others things. You get them by either killing stuff in free roam, or handing in objects you find. At the start things are pretty cheap. If you run out, you just go to free roam and kill some stuff.

6) Moga Forecast tells you what is spawning in the forest. It tells you what monsters and what creatures are breeding (i.e. lots of them) or if Ore/Mushrooms etc are plentiful. As you kill bigger monsters, they have a chance to appear on the Forecast. So your free roam gets a little more dangerous as you progress.

7) Get use to failing battles. The game is built around trial and error. You fail, you grind some materials for weapons/armour, you go back and try again. You beat it, make new things, kills more things. You will take an horrific kicking from some of the monsters. Learn their attacks, find their weaknesses, stab them. All prep for the Online stuff.

8) http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_3

Thanks for all that advice! I really appreciate it.

I just picked up MH Tri and a CC Pro on my lunch break. So now I'm ready to give this game a go as soon as I get home today. I can't wait!

Since everyone's enjoying these character journal entries I figured I'd post this link to a journal I wrote in character when the game first released.

That's part one with links to the rest on the side. I had a lot of fun writing them.

Nicktals

Banned
DragonGirl said:
Since everyone's enjoying these character journal entries I figured I'd post this link to a journal I wrote in character when the game first released.

That's part one with links to the rest on the side. I had a lot of fun writing them.

I read these as you were releasing them, and they really are great, I suggest everyone give them a read.

Ken

BentMyWookiee said:
I'd love to try the online at some point, but I worry about going on and being the weak link that causes a team to fail a hunt.

If you ever need an extra hunter, I'll definitely try to go online and help you out on quests. Been looking for a reason to put back MH3 into my Wii since my friends I used to play with all quit over time.

Nicktals

Banned
Ken said:
If you ever need an extra hunter, I'll definitely try to go online and help you out on quests. Been looking for a reason to put back MH3 into my Wii since my friends I used to play with all quit over time.

Yeah, I'd suggest that Bent try to play with people around the same HR rank (game is a lot more dramatic, scary, and tense that way), but if you ever need help, or are having trouble, just post here and there are a many high rank players (and probably some lower ones too!) who would be happy to help.

Raide

I am wondering if it is possible to have 1 character and gear them up just online or are there restrictions for online? Is it possible to get the stuff you need just doing the co-op stuff.

Also, is there a co-op free-roam or is it quests only?

Tenbatsu

Raide said:
I am wondering if it is possible to have 1 character and gear them up just online or are there restrictions for online? Is it possible to get the stuff you need just doing the co-op stuff.

Also, is there a co-op free-roam or is it quests only?
Yes it is possible to gear up a character via online.

Quests only. Arena mode is also available for 2 players too.

mr_lakitu

Neo Member
I need to man up and knuckle down with this. I got it on release. The pack with the CC Pro and everything and then... barely played it because I had so many other games to play through. This has been on the back burner for a year 0.0

It's one of those games that if you leave it for a week or two, it's hard to get back into. I'm pretty forgetful ;[

Raide

Tenbatsu said:
Yes it is possible to gear up a character via online.

Quests only. Arena mode is also available for 2 players too.

Thanks.

Is it possible to do solo quests online and if so, are they much harder than the offline variety?

Tenbatsu

Raide said:
Thanks.

Is it possible to do solo quests online and if so, are they much harder than the offline variety?
Online quests are way much harder than offline. However, it is still possible to solo. Better to have some comrades thou :)

Raide

Tenbatsu said:
Online quests are way much harder than offline. However, it is still possible to solo. Better to have some comrades thou :)

Sounds like fun. I would like to jump on at some point, since I just hit 90 hours offline. :D

My Journal is miles behind what I have actually done in-game. The constant grinding to make new gear to fight more monsters is so addictive. Still learning to use a bowgun, really tricky to use.

Orayn

Raide said:
Thanks.

Online monsters have ~20-30% more health than their offline counterparts, so soloing the bigger ones can be very challenging if it isn't a boss you've mastered. On the plus side, you get enough items from the supply box for four people. :p

Hiltz

Even the Great Jaggi becomes a threat! Sort of.

I wish this game offered more of those Monster ecology videos. The Qurupeco one made me laugh the first time.

Nicktals

Banned
Orayn said:
Online monsters have ~20-30% more health than their offline counterparts, so soloing the bigger ones can be very challenging if it isn't a boss you've mastered. On the plus side, you get enough items from the supply box for four people. :p

Wait, really? Only 20-30% more? I would have guessed much higher.

Hiltz said:
Even the Great Jaggi becomes a threat! Sort of.

I wish this game offered more of those Monster ecology videos. The Qurupeco one made me laugh the first time.
The dual-Uragaan one was the best. Still bummed that there isn't a Deviljho vid.
guess the guildmaster was right - it did eat all the researchers!
Nicktals said:
Wait, really? Only 20-30% more? I would have guessed much higher.
If the Damage Formula FAQ on GameFAQs is correct, it is indeed much more than a 20-30% increase. Looks like about an 80-100% increase in HP. They also hit significantly harder than the offline counterparts.

Hiltz

Little Green Yoda said:
The dual-Uragaan one was the best. Still bummed that there isn't a Deviljho vid.
guess the guildmaster was right - it did eat all the researchers!

If the Damage Formula FAQ on GameFAQs is correct, it is indeed much more than a 20-30% increase. Looks like about an 80-100% increase in HP. They also hit significantly harder than the offline counterparts.

Yeah, the two Uraggans video is pretty amusing.

According to the GameFaqs guide, another reason online monsters are also stronger is because they have a defense multiplier while offline monsters do not. All online monsters (low and high rank) have this feature which toughens them up. It will take more hits to stagger, trip, and break off monster body parts as well as taking longer to kill them. Online low rank monsters reduce your weapon's attack damage by 5% while high rank monsters reduce it by 20-25%.

Raide

Orayn said:

I see. Well, I am sure I have a few of the monsters already nailed, so it will be fun to see how they are online. Rewards any better?

Tenbatsu

Rewards are different from offline. They're rarer and mainly for forging high rank armor/weapons. Some armor/weapons/items/monsters are online only.

I'll be on again tomorrow from 1 to 3 central time. I'm going to try and make this a regular weekend thing. As always, look for Khory. Low rank hunters also welcome.

Raide

Just finished Monster Hunter Tri...120 Hours and I have still got things to do and online to jump into...

Seriously, why did I not pick this game up at launch? Utterly loved it and I expect many more hours of fun. Felt soooooo awesome.

I will update my Journal a bit as well soon. Been so wrapped up in Tri. :D

Apenheul

I was lucky today, got the Rathian Ruby I needed for my High Sieglinde (G) and a Wyvern Stone to complete my SnS sleepbombing armor set. Next up is a new bowgun + armor set.

Boney

Banned
Raide said:
Just finished Monster Hunter Tri...120 Hours and I have still got things to do and online to jump into...

Seriously, why did I not pick this game up at launch? Utterly loved it and I expect many more hours of fun. Felt soooooo awesome.

you finished the game and you're just starting online?

I'm sorry to hear that, but you screwed up. You're gonna be stuck fighting Jaggies and Pecos for a good while. It's supposed to be played at the same time as single player.

Nicktals said:
Are you getting back into it??
Can't say that I am, with my Wii being dead and all, got all pissy because I fixed it it broke down like in a month or so, and my brother lost the reciept, so I couldn't use the warranty. But seeing this topic resurface kinda makes me wanna fix it and start playing :p

squall23

Boney said:
I'm sorry to hear that, but you screwed up. You're gonna be stuck fighting Jaggies and Pecos for a good while. It's supposed to be played at the same time as single player.
It's not too bad. That's what I did at launch and then started online with the Ceadeus set and people kept laughing at me that I rushed through single player.

Apenheul

Boney said:
Can't say that I am, with my Wii being dead and all, got all pissy because I fixed it it broke down like in a month or so, and my brother lost the reciept, so I couldn't use the warranty. But seeing this topic resurface kinda makes me wanna fix it and start playing :p

Soon I'll probably be in the same boat. I think it won't be long before my Wii doesn't read any game anymore, it took me 10 minutes to get MHTri running today. It's my second Wii with optical drive issues. I just hope a nice special edition Zelda Wii will get released and then I'll buy that one.

Raide

Boney said:

I don't mind. Those low rank things should fly by easily. Funny to see how worried I was about Great Jaggi and now he is so easy to down.

Raide said:

Wait until you find something you really want that needs a deep dragon gem. You'll be back to single player fighting caedus again...and again and again and again and again and *cries*

Boney said:

You sent your wii to Nintendo for repair right? Have you verified you need a receipt? I figured all you needed was your wii serial number and Nintendo would have the repair warranty info in their system.

squall23 said:
It's not too bad. That's what I did at launch and then started online with the Ceadeus set and people kept laughing at me that I rushed through single player.
Ceadeus set is pretty good for mixed armors though, even HR. I used it for my hammer with sharpness +1 set.

Recently replayed Tri, I loved the naturalistic look all the monster have. It has the overall well-designed monsters in the series.

Boney

Banned
Chopper Dave said:
You sent your wii to Nintendo for repair right? Have you verified you need a receipt? I figured all you needed was your wii serial number and Nintendo would have the repair warranty info in their system.
who do you think i am boy!

nintendo doesn't exist here

now shoo go away no one likes you

Ken

DragonGirl said:
I'll be on again tomorrow from 1 to 3 central time. I'm going to try and make this a regular weekend thing. As always, look for Khory. Low rank hunters also welcome.

Which server/city?

Jason and I tried to crash the Red Hot Party event and got our butts handed to us. Will try again tomorrow and could really used some help. Rank 40 event if I remember correctly. Beware the homing Ura.

Hiltz

I never played this game before on a small tv until the past two days and never will again. The small text on a 13 -inch tv is almost unreadable and it hurt my eyes. Switching back to the big screen tomorrow.

It's fun to make Rathalos fall from the sky using flashbombs during his gliding and circular aerial attacks. Only seen a few other players do this before. Just got to have the right timing.

Finally started to use the switch axe against Deviljho and now he's way easier. Goodbye longsword!

upandaway

Hey Raide, good timing. I have tomorrow, the day after, and then Friday-Saturday-Sunday-Monday and I'm mostly gonna put them on MH3 online. I could help you a bit, especially since I just started using the Bowgun, so I could fight the monsters with level-appropriate gear (and get more low-rank gear in the process). Just give a heads up or something before you go online and I'll go if I'm there.

Hiltz said:
It's fun to make Rathalos fall from the sky using flashbombs during his gliding and circular aerial attacks. Only seen a few other players do this before. Just got to have the right timing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce6vnu-I10o (11:20)

Smalltime.

Boney

Banned
upandaway said:
Hey Raide, good timing. I have tomorrow, the day after, and then Friday-Saturday-Sunday-Monday and I'm mostly gonna put them on MH3 online. I could help you a bit, especially since I just started using the Bowgun, so I could fight the monsters with level-appropriate gear (and get more low-rank gear in the process). Just give a heads up or something before you go online and I'll go if I'm there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce6vnu-I10o (11:20)

Smalltime.
oh derp, read it as 10:20, so I was pretty confused :p

Hiltz

I've seen even less people pull that kind of gutsy move off. Very cool.

Don't you just need to count how many times it takes to make a monster stagger/flinch in order to really know when to pull that kind of move off? For a low rank Rathalos, I think it takes anywhere between 3-5 hits to the face make him stagger when using a switch axe but maybe just in sword mode.

Nicktals

Banned
Little Green Yoda said:
GS charging definitely leads to the most epic moments in Monster Hunter. Kinda pains me to know that I'll never be able to pull off this kind of stuff.

Wow, as a GS user, that was incredible to watch. Think he can do some of those on a regular basis, or did he just try hundreds of time for that perfect shot? A few of them I can see being able to do regularly, but some of them are just amazing! Thanks for posting!

Tenbatsu

There used to be one guy who did a setup by planting a hole trap and executing a GS full charge on a flying charging Rathalos and brought him down into the trap followed by bombing the hell out of it.

Nicktals said:
Wow, as a GS user, that was incredible to watch. Think he can do some of those on a regular basis, or did he just try hundreds of time for that perfect shot? A few of them I can see being able to do regularly, but some of them are just amazing! Thanks for posting!
Here's another one of his vids; it has some of his mistimed charges as well so yeah, he's not perfect lol. Makes one wonder how much time he had to invest to pull off so many great hits.

Dreavus

Little Green Yoda said:
GS charging definitely leads to the most epic moments in Monster Hunter. Kinda pains me to know that I'll never be able to pull off this kind of stuff.

Oh. My. Goodness.

There is something amazing about manning up and staring a Rathalos in the face as it charges directly at you instead of rolling around like a floppy fish. You're going to dive bomb me? BRING IIIIT.

I'd love to try getting hits like this sometime.
I am terrible with the GS

Top Bottom