• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Hiltz

I'll have to try doing this using the upswing attack of a switch axe against Rathalos in the offlinde mode's Moga Woods. At least that way, one doesn't need to worry about fainting or a fighting under a time limit.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Little Green Yoda said:
GS charging definitely leads to the most epic moments in Monster Hunter. Kinda pains me to know that I'll never be able to pull off this kind of stuff.

Holy shit. That's just... so good. It makes me feel like a total newbie.

Tenbatsu

Hiltz said:
I'll have to try doing this using the upswing attack of a switch axe against Rathalos in the offlinde mode's Moga Woods. At least that way, one doesn't need to worry about fainting or a fighting under a time limit.
No harm trying the Slash Axe Blast lol :)

What's happening with portable 3? Read somewhere it's expected in europe in july. I'm guessing this is wild-speculation/wishful-thinking/fan-fiction? (i mean, no official dates from capcom yet, right?)
What's the word from Japan, how does it compare to tri? (Way, way, WAY) more content i'm hoping?

Tenbatsu

Fistwell said:
What's happening with portable 3? Read somewhere it's expected in europe in july. I'm guessing this is wild-speculation/wishful-thinking/fan-fiction? (i mean, no official dates from capcom yet, right?)
What's the word from Japan, how does it compare to tri? (Way, way, WAY) more content i'm hoping?
Way, way, way too easy.

Freedom Unite is not hard, it's broken.

Tri is easier than 2nd G because it has better hitboxes, but 3rd Portable really is the easiest Monster Hunter ever. I'm going by GFs impressions because I haven't played 3rd yet, and I have to say I don't plan to either...

Anyway, still waiting for Monster Hunter 3G or Monster Hunter Portable 3G, this time with underwater battles for the love of God, don't make me mad, Capcom!

Little Green Yoda said:
GS charging definitely leads to the most epic moments in Monster Hunter. Kinda pains me to know that I'll never be able to pull off this kind of stuff.
Even Ceadues! LOL

Attention EU hunters: upandaway (Alon) and me (Selenae) are online waiting for y'all in Expert/Veterans1/gate3/city1. See u there.

Edit: done for the night. Nice playing w/ you Alon.

ShinNL

Fistwell said:
Attention EU hunters: upandaway (Alon) and me (Selenae) are online waiting for y'all in Expert/Veterans1/gate3/city1. See u there.
I would like to join but I'm not sure if Selenae still hates me :x

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
New to Monster Hunter, is it still worth picking up at this point?
I'm in PAL. Are enough people still playing for it to be worth it for a beginner?

Poyunch

Little Green Yoda said:
That Mini Uragaan one was pretty funny. GS users are so great.

edit: And dayum at those Jhen clips.

upandaway

Krev said:
New to Monster Hunter, is it still worth picking up at this point?
I'm in PAL. Are enough people still playing for it to be worth it for a beginner?
I've never seen the first two city gates not full at any given moment.

It kills me that THIS, of all things, is what makes people hesitate. Just get the darn game already!

Poyunch

upandaway said:

It kills me that THIS, of all things, is what makes people hesitate. Just get the darn game already!
Well playing with randoms can be frustrating at times.

windfish

Soneet said:
I would like to join but I'm not sure if Selenae still hates me :x
haha oh man good memories. to see you guys still playing almost makes me want to get back to hunting too. Will never forget those early Joe attempts!

Fistwell said:
There's way more content in portable 3 than in tri although you will likely be able to plow through it way faster than tri. There are lots of things that slow down progress in tri aside from difficulty like having to grind up your HRP to rank up and having to grind bosses repeatedly for materials.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
upandaway said:

Welp. Ordered.

windfish said:
haha oh man good memories. to see you guys still playing almost makes me want to get back to hunting too. Will never forget those early Joe attempts!
I HOPE THAT DANG PIZZA WAS WORTH IT!!? ;)
We should have a one-year-later reunion. Is koz still around?

Krev said:
Welp. Ordered.
Let us know your char name when you get online.

Lance Bone Path said:
There's way more content in portable 3 than in tri although you will likely be able to plow through it way faster than tri. There are lots of things that slow down progress in tri aside from difficulty like having to grind up your HRP to rank up and having to grind bosses repeatedly for materials.
Maybe that's for the best. I don't have any means of connecting my psp to internet right now, brisker pace + apparently lowish difficulty means i'll probably be able to advance faster on "guild," or "online," or "mp quest" or whatever those are called in p3rd (you know what i mean).

Apenheul

upandaway said:

Last weekend the whole Greed1 server (Recruitment) was full even. There's still a very active community on MH:Tri.

windfish

Fistwell said:
I HOPE THAT DANG PIZZA WAS WORTH IT!!? ;)
We should have a one-year-later reunion. Is koz still around?

yeah good idea i'll be there for sure, iam currently moving so my wii is somewhere in the
boxes! i will have my new setup ready in 2 or 3 weeks. I don't really know who is still playing or not, I have not played the game for like 5 or even 6 months so getting back to it will be a thrill iam definitely looking forward to.

Raide

I had a little break from Tri since it was consuming my life. I was staying up till 2 or 3am just because I wanted to down one of the bosses. :D

Going to try online soon and get started on the low level quests.

windfish said:
yeah good idea i'll be there for sure, iam currently moving so my wii is somewhere in the
boxes! i will have my new setup ready in 2 or 3 weeks. I don't really know who is still playing or not, I have not played the game for like 5 or even 6 months so getting back to it will be a thrill iam definitely looking forward to.
I only played for an hour or so with upandaway the other day. Had not touched the game in a long time before that (not since i moved, last october). I don't really know if anybody is still playing... apparently soneet is. There wasn't anybody on my in game contact list online when i looked it up the other day though. I'm even surprised you're still checking out this thread yourself.
But, so, yeah, if/when you hook up your wii, let me know, we'll go hunt some unlucky monsters.

Raide: what region you in? EU? (from your xbl, i guess so)
Let us know if you want to meet up when you jump online.

Raide

Fistwell said:
I only played for an hour or so with upandaway the other day. Had not touched the game in a long time before that (not since i moved, last october). I don't really know if anybody is still playing... apparently soneet is. There wasn't anybody on my in game contact list online when i looked it up the other day though. I'm even surprised you're still checking out this thread yourself.
But, so, yeah, if/when you hook up your wii, let me know, we'll go hunt some unlucky monsters.

Raide: what region you in? EU?

Yup, EU. Might hop on later and brave the Online MH world. :p

I'll be on this afternoon, from around 2pm(GMT+2) on. Feel free to join (look for Selenae or Khamul, or pm me here if you dont see me online). See you out there.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Boney said:
No way Freedom Unite is harder than Tri. Played that last year, and was plowing through the game no sweat.
How far did you get? I think its almost not even up for debate that tri is easier than Unite. Tri has much less content also, so the hardest parts of unite come much later. Add to that the fact that Unite isn't co-op friendly out of the box and you almost always have online help in tri.

In case some EU hunter reads this, Alon, Yair and myself (Selenae) are looking for a 4rth for alatreon right now. Feel free to join.

Edit: that was a valiant effort. It was about to kick the bucket. That 3rd guy wasnt so great, with a better fourth we'd have made it.

Apenheul

Fistwell said:
In case some EU hunter reads this, Alon, Yair and myself (Selenae) are looking for a 4rth for alatreon right now. Feel free to join.

Too bad, city already full. I would've joined otherwise.

ajim

FootNinja said:
How far did you get? I think its almost not even up for debate that tri is easier than Unite. Tri has much less content also, so the hardest parts of unite come much later. Add to that the fact that Unite isn't co-op friendly out of the box and you almost always have online help in tri.
Yeah, I'm up to 8star missions ('online' quests) in Unite and it is difficult as fuck, especially having to do it all by yourself. No help whatsoever. Pretty sure I've lost a lot of hair over this game haha.

Boney

Banned
FootNinja said:
Oh yeah, haven't beaten it cause playing it on my broken nub got more and more frustrating. I guess the way way high end content could be much harder, sounds logical.

Still the beggining was way easier, because monsters are even more retarded than they are in Tri. And they're pretty damn retarded in Tri.

Raide

Monster Hunter Journal: Day 10

I think is my Journal Day 10 but it feels like I have been trapped in a titanic battle for days. With my confidence high and proud, I just took the next missions the Guild Girl had for me. She looked at me, with a look of concern on her face but I really did not pay much attention to it. How quickly you can go from feeling like a mighty Hunter to a scared and helpless child, running from screaming death.

Chacha also showed his concern, mentioning something about fire-breathing something something, I was not really listening, until we made it to the nest of the Rathian. Since I had never encountered this beast before, I really had no idea what I would come up against. Some of the villagers called her the 'Queen of the Wyverns' but I did not think much of it. Poking my head over the hill, I was about 2 Great Jaggi's distance from the Rathian. Suddenly a high pitched scream echoed in my ears. I hit the floor and could hardly move. The Rathian had spotted her next meal and I think she was annoyed that I might have accidentally stepped in one of her eggs.

As she took off, the wind produced by her powerful wings was making it hard to stand up. Even Chacha found it hard to stand up, despite him being a little closer to the ground. Despite her impressive size, I am sure I can dodge around her quickly and land a few blows. In the blink of an eye, the Queen sped towards me and hit me with full force. I swear I could hear a rib crack. Looking down at my chest, I saw blood forming, along with some odd purple liquid. At this point Chacha freaked out and ran off, which made it difficult for me to understand what was happening. I could feel something was wrong and before I knew what was happening, I woke up in the camp with all of those rescue cats standing around me.

After sleeping for a whole day, I talked to the Village Chief and his Son. It seems that Rathian is not only a fire-breathing Dragon, she also has poison barbs in her tail. Nice. They really should have told me earlier but really my own pride should be to blame here. A valuable lesson to all Hunters is that no matter how good you think your skills are, there will always be another beast out there ready to humble you. Of all of the creatures I have fought, the Rathian is going to take more than my usual hit and run tactics. I am going to head back to the nest and do some spying before I attempt to down this beast.

Current Outlook: Humble and bruised.

Apenheul

Finished my Alatreon sleepbombing set today:

Weapon: Morpheus Knife (SnS)
Armor skills: Razor sharp, Status Atk Up, Bombardier

and a lot of resistance against the dragon type.

Hiltz

I helped a friend today with his Alatreon urgent quest. It could have gone more smoothly and took longer than expected (10 minutes left on the clock) but at least we finished it with just 1 death. Should have known that 2 long sword users tagging along would be a bit of trouble. My friend did pretty well for his first time against such a monster.

My friend saved my ass once after I got hit by Alatreon's fire blast on top of suffering from burn damage. Alatron was about to trample me as I got up and he used his weapon to knock me into the air to avoid getting hit by its attack. About halfway through the quest, I used one of my flashbombs soon after to throw in Ala's face right as he was going to use his claw to slash my friend while he was a second away from dying (it was so low you couldn't even see his hp on the side of screen). Normally, I would have just used lifepowder, but had run out and needed to combine more at the time. Gotta love those teamwork moments! Unfortunately, I was the only one who brought flash bombs and ran out towards the end so Alatreon spent a lot of time in the air.

Apenheul

It must have been my lucky day or something; in two hours of playing MH:Tri I got two Rathalos Plates, an Uragaan Ruby, and a Rathian Ruby. This means I finally get to build my Rathling+ Bowgun Frame and two Escadora armor pieces.

Haunted

Been playing a lot of Freedom 2 on the PSP lately, but even with the cool new (they're new to me) monsters and different layout to the areas, it's just no replacement for Tri.

Really missing my console MH fix, here's hoping a version of Portable 3rd comes to the Wii, or there's a next Monster Hunter for any console on the way.

Apenheul said:
It must have been my lucky day or something; in two hours of playing MH:Tri I got two Rathalos Plates, an Uragaan Ruby, and a Rathian Ruby. This means I finally get to build my Rathling+ Bowgun Frame and two Escadora armor pieces.
I didn't get a single Rathian Ruby after 100+ runs of the thing.

I had to abandon whatever I needed this for to preserve my sanity. So yes, consider yourself lucky. :p

Boney

Banned
Haunted said:
I didn't get a single Rathian Ruby after 100+ runs of the thing.

I had to abandon whatever I needed this for to preserve my sanity. So yes, consider yourself lucky. :p
Dude, there was a time I had like 10 Rubies but no plates. It was driving me insaaaaaaaaaaaane

Top Bottom