• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

udivision

Y'know... I'm starting to think the MH loot system is a little broken or something.
None of this super-rare nonsense, just increase the quantity of the type of item needed.
I.E. make Plates 10 times easier to find, but make you need 10 more to forge the item. (Typically you only need 1 plate for anything though...). Theoretically it's the same, but I'm sure there would be a lot less headaches.

Haunted

udivision said:
Y'know... I'm starting to think the MH loot system is a little broken or something.
None of this super-rare nonsense, just increase the quantity of the type of item needed.
I.E. make Plates 10 times easier to find, but make you need 10 more to forge the item. (Typically you only need 1 plate for anything though...). Theoretically it's the same, but I'm sure there would be a lot less headaches.
Man, there are so many ways to fix the system. You could either re-tool it (tying certain actions in-game to a fixed drop percentage, like breaking the head always gets you X, cutting off the tail always gives you Y, breaking everything possible on the creature and then capturing gives you the super-rare Z etc. etc.) or just take the psychological route and play with the numbers like you said.

Then again, the game got popular on this punishing loot system (I want to say despite it, but whatever) and I'm not sure they'd want to mess with it after they haven't done so for so many iterations now.

DeaconKnowledge said:
My Wii's Disc Drive died. :(
Wii homebrew with USBLoader, you'll never look back.

Of course you'll need to rip the disc once, so it might be too late for that now. >_<

udivision said:
I understand the frustration with not getting the rare items sometimes but doing it the way you suggest turns plates into scales 2.0.

upandaway

Haunted said:
Man, there are so many ways to fix the system. You could either re-tool it (tying certain actions in-game to a fixed drop percentage, like breaking the head always gets you X, cutting off the tail always gives you Y, breaking everything possible on the creature and then capturing gives you the super-rare Z etc. etc.) or just take the psychological route and play with the numbers like you said.

Then again, the game got popular on this punishing loot system (I want to say despite it, but whatever) and I'm not sure they'd want to mess with it after they haven't done so for so many iterations now.
I don't think they should touch it. The feeling of getting a rare item is awesome. I remember when I got 2 Rathalos plates out of 3 capture rewards because I used the low rank Baggi armor in high rank Double Trouble.. that was glorious.

Just.. use these rare items less. I mean, sure you can maybe somehow use TWO Rathalos plates for something, which is crazy and insane, but acceptable because it's high rank compared to low rank. But when the Great Azure uses 5 bird wyvern gems and then the Baggi armor uses 3 more, something is fucked up there. Plates are thrown around far more easily and I think I remember seeing more than one ruby needed for something. Also, too many equipments use these rubies. And is it really needed for everything to require 2 ElderDragonBlood all the time? Why not one?

Just fucking around with my alt yesterday (in 4*) i got 2 ian rubies and a plate. In maybe 3 hunts. I don't really have much of a use for them.
Talking about my alt, i'm gonna be trying to get it to hr40 this afternoon. If anyone feels like helping with double trble, look for Khamul.

Edit: and yet another ian ruby today. Like freakin candies.

Edit2: thanks for the help on my urgent, you that person who helped me who i can only guess is a random gaf lurker? Also, thanks for the fun on ala, jo, los+lagi; upandaway.

Edit3: i'm not anywhere near good at this game, but GOD-DAM are some people online fucking terrible. Also, i had forgotten how bad the hr point grind is. (Game still is enjoyable mind you)

Raide

Damn, the two monster quests at the same time are really hard. :D

Also, all I need is a Rathalos Plate to finish my full set. Damn those things never drop.

Also finished crafting the Red Wing and also the Fire Longsword. Damn these things mess monsters up. :p Still not got near any Blue sharpness weapons yet.

Raide said:
Damn, the two monster quests at the same time are really hard. :D
Abuse those dung bombs until you're comfortable taking on two at a time. Once you do the arena style quests with two monsters, you're going to just have to deal with the clusterfuck of being blindsided from time to time. Taking on two monsters simultaneously does have the side benefit of the monsters attacking one another every now and then.

Raide

Little Green Yoda said:
Abuse those dung bombs until you're comfortable taking on two at a time. Once you do the arena style quests with two monsters, you're going to just have to deal with the clusterfuck of being blindsided from time to time. Taking on two monsters simultaneously does have the side benefit of the monsters attacking one another every now and then.

Thanks.

Just did the Rathian and Rathalos quest and it went mental as soon as they both turned up in one spot. A few times Rathalos nuked Rathian, which made me laugh and also take advantage by battering her with hammers.

Keeping track of two monsters is taking a while to get use to but I tend to focus down one and then chase it around the map until it dies. :D

upandaway

Fistwell said:
Also, thanks for the fun on ala, jo, los+lagi; upandaway.
Lagi+Rathalos was incredible. When that Jho suddenly tackled me from out of the camera when I didn't even know he was there... classic moment.

Rathalos is sitting there, all exhausted. So I put a pitfall near him. He does a small attack, and sits some more RIGHT NEXT to the trap, so I do a quick hammer bash, and bam, knockout to the side of the trap. Then Jho, from the other side of the map, runs right into the trap! While Rathalos is flipping out on the floor practically inside him. My friend started laughing like a little girl. That was great.

Raide said:
Thanks.
. A few times Rathalos nuked Rathian, which made me laugh and also take advantage by battering her with hammers.

Keeping track of two monsters is taking a while to get use to but I tend to focus down one and then chase it around the map until it dies. :D

That's the only way I was able to finished the single player Arena against Los and Ian. I hate arena but I really wanted this hat...

Anyway, I just ran around like mad, maneuvering myself between the two dragons so they'd hit each other when they attacked until ones died from friendly fire. Then I'd attack and kill the other. Took forever but it got the job done.

Ken

Hope it's not too off-topic but this looks really good. Wish there was a figure of Lagiacrus though.

FIG-IPN-1837.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ugh I hate spending almost an hour to capture a jo and we end up failing after cutting its tail and breaking its whatever...

The figure is incredible but I don't like that monster's design at all.

insin

Neo Member
Fistwell said:
Found me a worn hammer. Any tip on getting ura rubies?
The 6* Agnaktor/Uragaan quest has a decent drop rate for rubies, I've got multiple off it at once. Other than that, your standard grind, grind, grind on the Uragaan quest shouldn't take too long with a good team. Get a good hammerer on your team and it's stunning chin smash time.

Man, I miss this game, I totally played it out and have been having some sort of dedicated gaming withdrawal ever since.

upandaway

insin said:
The 6* Agnaktor/Uragaan quest has a decent drop rate for rubies, I've got multiple off it at once. Other than that, your standard grind, grind, grind on the Uragaan quest shouldn't take too long with a good team. Get a good hammerer on your team and it's stunning chin smash time.
I volunteer Fistwell! I want!

If you still don't get a ruby by Friday, count me in for Ura farming.

upandaway said:

Cool! I'm only hr 40 on my alt though, so i wont be able to get on in 6* quests just yet.

Edit: eh... stupid worn sns. Gimme my goddamned worn gs already!!!

Raide

I have a confession to make...I don't like the look of the Guns. I have not even made a set to try it, despite actually finding a Rust Shard that was the "Spark" gun.

windfish

insin said:

Man, I miss this game, I totally played it out and have been having some sort of dedicated gaming withdrawal ever since.

6* agnaktor and ura can be so annoying, i played this quest so much for my ura gunner set, i can't see me going back to it ever again, agna is such a bitch, this thing killed me so many times i just can't stand it anymore, i swear to god it always only chases me for the whole damn fight!! not even talking about dual agna penetration ..... but then, its such an awesome badass beast, my heart is torn.

windfish

Fistwell said:
8|

Tell me more!

nothing to get too excited about. i don't even remember if it was an event quest or just some high ranked quest.. two agna one after another... for someone who hates fighting even one of those things, two high ranked agnaktor can be a pain in the ass. My advice: pick your team wisely! ..but that one applies to almost all quests and monsters.

Fistwell said:
Edit: eh... stupid worn sns. Gimme my goddamned worn gs already!!!

...oh oh...run my friend, RUN now and do it fast!! getting obsessed about ancient stones is a oneway ticket to hell!! believe me,...how many hours have i spend traveling the volcano again and again and again and again....and again!!

then my friend, i killed my first alatreon and got almost all ancient shit there ever was from the rewards!!

Yeah, i'm just rolling the dice a couple of times upon being able to access high rank volcano. Got hammer and sns pretty quickly too...

Regarding agna... i had to grind him quite a bit myself to get the armor set (w/ sel). Dang claw+ just wouldn't drop, no matter how many claws i'd break. I have yet to even fully upgrade its ls because of those damn claws.

Fistwell said:
Regarding agna... i had to grind him quite a bit myself to get the armor set (w/ sel). Dang claw+ just wouldn't drop, no matter how many claws i'd break. I have yet to even fully upgrade its ls because of those damn claws.
Agna Claw+ is annoying to get with randoms because you have to break every claw to get the break reward. Even if you find a good enough team to beat Agna, oftentimes Agna dies before all 4 claws are broken since not everybody targets the claws. Agna turning constantly doesn't help.

Just keep breaking all 4 claws, carving Agna, and praying lol.

Another way to get a bunch of Ura Rubies is the Red Hot Party event. I got a bunch of them while desperately grinding for a Los Ruby there.

insin

Neo Member
windfish said:
6* agnaktor and ura can be so annoying, i played this quest so much for my ura gunner set, i can't see me going back to it ever again, agna is such a bitch, this thing killed me so many times i just can't stand it anymore, i swear to god it always only chases me for the whole damn fight!! not even talking about dual agna penetration ..... but then, its such an awesome badass beast, my heart is torn.
Lance lance lance lance lance - lance lance - lance lance, lance lance lance; lance lance lance lance.

Little Green Yoda said:
Another way to get a bunch of Ura Rubies is the Red Hot Party event. I got a bunch of them while desperately grinding for a Los Ruby there.

This event quest was the only time I saw an Ura Ruby and I got 2 of 'em.

upandaway said:

I'll have to take you up on that. Vaguely tried with randoms, but they were just so annoying (and unreliable)... was only able to cap a cple of ura+, no ruby so far.

Edit:
Rand1: "yo rand2, heal yourself mang"
Rand2: "Na its ok dude, im just-" *SQUISH*

Hiltz

jercruz said:
are there a good armor combo using escadora parts? it seems that helios and vangis are the most common parts for armor combos.

Everyone goes for Helios and Vangis mixed sets because you can get Sharpness+1 and Huge Earplugs without any of the negative armor skills. In addition, you can use any talisman and weapon with slots to get another skill or two. Plus, those armor sets don't have as bad elemental resistances when compared to Escadora.

Unfortunately, Escadora doesn't generally seem to mix well with other armor sets.

upandaway

Outtrigger888 said:
Thinking of picking this up, is the classic controller the best control option?
No.

There is no best option, unless you use a Great Sword. You can try both and no one will hate you and beat you to death if you prefer one over the other.

robox

jercruz said:
are there a good armor combo using escadora parts? it seems that helios and vangis are the most common parts for armor combos.

ala parts are better used for weapons.
the signature skill of escador is blightproof, which is a defensive oriented skill, vs helios and vangis which are more offensively oriented, where sharpness+1 is the best attack increaser skill there is.

Boney

Banned
upandaway said:
No.

There is no best option, unless you use a Great Sword. You can try both and no one will hate you and beat you to death if you prefer one over the other.
huh? why are you singling out GS?

Top Bottom