• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

I Push Fat Kids said:
I'm using Sword/Shield and it seemed to help to knock them out with the shield and then farm for an item. I had much better success that way.

Also, HOLY SHIT at the Monster Guts quest. I nearly shit my pants...

Lagicrus spotted me in 11 and I went back to 10 to finish collecting the Monster Guts. As soon as I finished, the music got tense and I turned around to see the HUGE FUCKER swimming towards me! I booked it to the shore turning the camera facing me so I could see him cutting through the water towards me. He then got distracted by the harmless monsters there and I thought I was home free. Just as I got out of the water his HEAD suddenly came out and took a huge chunk from me. FREAKED ME THE FUCK OUT. This paragraph doesn't convey how intense it was. Seriously. Damn.

One of my favorite moments so far, was in the living room alone while everyone was sleeping when this happened and when I heard the startle noise and saw him swimming right towards me my eyes widened and tried to swim my ass back too safety as fast as possible, really intense.

Khezu

Just jumped online to test my connection and see how everything is set up, so far seems a lot like MH1s setup.

Gotta say, I really don't like how they changed the max amount of people in a city, doesn't give you any breathing room for finding groups with randoms, have to work with the 3 other people in the city you join. I understand it was because of wiispeak, but I don't think it was necessary, could have added in a mute setting or something.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Khezu said:
Just jumped online to test my connection and see how everything is set up, so far seems a lot like MH1s setup.

Gotta say, I really don't like how they changed the max amount of people in a city, doesn't give you any breathing room for finding groups with randoms, have to work with the 3 other people in the city you join. I understand it was because of wiispeak, but I don't think it was necessary, could have added in a mute setting or something.

How do you get online? I need to see if it's working.

Game seems rather epic.

Khezu

Hawkian said:
How do you get online? I need to see if it's working.

Game seems rather epic.

After you choose your character/data, a screen pops up asking you if you want to go to the village or the city, the city is the online mode.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Khezu said:
After you choose your character/data, a screen pops up asking you if you want to go to the village or the city, the city is the online mode.

Thanks!

Hawkian said:
I don't suppose there's any way to make an ISO of my disc, run it from a hard drive, and play online, legally? :-[

What a good-looking question!

Why yes, Hawkian, yes there is. It takes quite a bit of wrangling, and it is certainly time that could be spent playing the game, but it fucking works, baby.

Let me know what server we want to all hang out on. I'll be the one with the ridiculously short load times. ;)

And now, with 10 minutes of play time, I have to go to work :lol Brutal. Can't wait to get back to this. I know exactly how much my bowgun costs, too... it shall be mine.

Dreavus

Goddammit.

Two of my buddies who got the game decided they would use a PS3 chat as a way to communicate. That's sweet and everything, except I don't have a working headset atm =(

They're telling me to come play with them anyways, but running around with a group of 2 other people while being completely cut off from them does not really appeal to me. I think I finally know what you are getting at Soneet, with the whole "use wiispeak damnit!" thing, although I think now that they've found this set-up it will be useless to try and convince them otherwise.

I guess it's time to invest is some kind of headset? :p

Delio

Well i've been playing and i freaking love this. I've been rolling with Bone stuff..although should i skip Jaggi gear and go straight to Ludroth? Seems better defensively anyways.

forrest

formerly nacire
Hawkian said:
Thanks!

What a good-looking question!

Why yes, Hawkian, yes there is. It takes quite a bit of wrangling, and it is certainly time that could be spent playing the game, but it fucking works, baby.

Let me know what server we want to all hang out on. I'll be the one with the ridiculously short load times. ;)

And now, with 10 minutes of play time, I have to go to work :lol Brutal. Can't wait to get back to this. I know exactly how much my bowgun costs, too... it shall be mine.

That's awesome! How big is the iso? Can you load it on a large thumb drive and run it from that? Any place you could point us to that would help show the process?

ShinNL

Dreavus said:
Goddammit.

Two of my buddies who got the game decided they would use a PS3 chat as a way to communicate. That's sweet and everything, except I don't have a working headset atm =(

They're telling me to come play with them anyways, but running around with a group of 2 other people while being completely cut off from them does not really appeal to me. I think I finally know what you are getting at Soneet, with the whole "use wiispeak damnit!" thing, although I think now that they've found this set-up it will be useless to try and convince them otherwise.

I guess it's time to invest is some kind of headset? :p
That was what I was fearing. The one thing I couldn't predict was that MH3 itself is cutting off Wii Speak people! Why limit Wii Speak when general chat is open anyway? I don't get it :(

I still think it's better to convince them to go Wii Speak, so you can go Wii Speak, because otherwise you'll be buying a headset for 2 people instead of the hundreds and soon thousands of people with Wii Speak. You can still bet that veterans later on will all have Wii Speak and personally I think the best meat of the game is in the super pro team work in the end-game.

Sad news for me: Amazon.de couldn't get money of my virtual creditcard: Wirecard. This totally sucks. I'm gonna complain at Wirecard and just go to the stores early tomorrow and hope I can just pick up the bundle from somewhere.

Edit: Damn it. Now I know what has been blocking me. The cheap $0.01 Classic Controllers which had some shipping costs freakin' reserved money on my creditcard even though it was canceled later on. And this being a virtual creditcard means I can't go beneath 0.00, I end up not being able to buy the bundle. Ridiculous. I just have to wait it out............... :|

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I still don't understand why you can't talk to everyone (wii speak or not) like Animal Crossing? If Nintendo did that surely they would allow Capcom to.

Edit: My brother is playing and I keep hearing him yell "What did you say?!?!?" while the other guy screams louder and louder "Wii speak sucks ****" through the screen.

:lol

Alex

The new bowgun system is really amazing. I was just thowing together the default sets to get the ball rolling at first but even on the entry level you get incredibly better results by mixing and matching around to suit your needs.

Teknoman

I think (well hope) some of the wii speak owners need to realize that you are supposed to only speak at normal level and be at least 3 feet away from the mic for others to hear clearly. The wii speak channel does help in making sure things are set properly. The record message function can work like a voice test too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
nacire said:
That's awesome! How big is the iso? Can you load it on a large thumb drive and run it from that? Any place you could point us to that would help show the process?

The iso is 2.64GB (impressive IMO considering the amount of content there seems to be and the relatively hi-res textures). I don't see any reason you couldn't load it on a thumb drive. As for the process, I've always wanted to link this link:

MH3 specifically does take a few extra steps to get working once you have it installed. I can help with that if anybody asks.

Tremis

This man does his research.
DeaconKnowledge said:
I killed a great Jaggi solo today. God what a rewarding feeling.

man, i know what you mean. just killed another, and it still rocks. also, capturing one feels even better! :D

Hiltz

Well, I finally started the level 2 quest to slay the Great Jaggi and was so close to beating him. I eventually got him to limp away back to his lair and started wailing on him with my upgraded Ludroth Nail (sword + shield). Then one of the worst things happend.

Picture this, I'm seconds away from slaying this monster and in desperate need of using a potion but the telephone rings. I hesitated for a moment praying that the other 3 people in my house would pick up the phone, but they never did.

Sadly, we all know that Monster Hunter Tri doesn't have a pause button. So I leaped out of my seat , snatched the phone a few feet away and raced back to the couch in record time. Unfortunately, I couldn't handle placing the phone tighly between my chin and shoulder long enough while trying to finish off Great Jaggi. You see, I was distracted by some douche bag research survey guy asking me to participate over the telephone. Before the guy could even finish his sentence, I quickly said "No thanks!" and dropped the phone on to the couch.

Then it happened. Right when I picked up my Classic Controller Pro the Great Jaggi tail whipped me to death. Despite this frusterating situation, it has actually made me excited to play tomorrow with the determination to seek revenge against the Great Jaggi. I cannot wait to beat the crap out of it and hear the music play with the "Quest Completed" sign appearing on screen.

By the way, does anyone else find it amusing how the other villagers are a race of kitty cats and how there's also a little pig walking around that you can dress up ? I named mine Piglet. :D

Tenbatsu

Alex said:
The new bowgun system is really amazing. I was just thowing together the default sets to get the ball rolling at first but even on the entry level you get incredibly better results by mixing and matching around to suit your needs.
The armor system is even more amazing.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Hiltz said:
Well, I finally started the level 1 quest to slay the Great Jaggi and was so close to beating him. I eventually got him to limp away back to his lair and started wailing on him with my upgraded Ludroth Nail (sword + shield). Then one of the worst things happend.

Picture this, I'm seconds away from slaying this monster and in desperate need of using a potion but the telephone rings. I hesitated for a moment praying that the other 3 people in my house wouldn pick up the phone, but they never did.

Sadly, we all know that Monster Hunter Tri doesn't have a pause button. So I leaped out of my seat , snatched the phone a few feet away and raced back to the couch in record time. Unfortunately, I couldn't handle placing the phone tighly between my chin and shoulder long enough while trying to finish off Great Jaggi. You see, I was distracted by some douche bag research survey guy asking me to participate over the telephone. Before the guy could finsh his setence, I quickly said "No thanks!" and dropped the couch.

Then it happened. Right when I picked up my Classic Controller Pro the Great Jaggi tail whipped me to death. Despite this frusterating situation, it has actually made me excited to play tomorrow with the determination to seek revenge against the Great Jaggi. I cannot wait to beat the crap out of it and hear the music play with the "Quest Completed" sign appearing on screen.

Kill that bastard! He doesn't play fair.

Thinking this game could pause somehow almost got me killed a few times actually. :lol

edit: home button? of course....

Hiltz

Tremis said:
Kill that bastard! He doesn't play fair.

Thinking this game could pause somehow almost got me killed a few times actually. :lol

edit: home button? of course....

... Home Button. I am going to slap myself in the face. I was in such a rush the thought of doing that didn't even cross my mind.

Poyunch

Hiltz said:
... Home Button. IF that actually works in the game I am going to slap myself in the face. I was in such a rush the thought of doing that didn't even cross my mind.
I'm not sure about online but offline I've used it a bunch of times when my hunting's been interrupted.

Hiltz

Well, I've learned my lesson now. The home button is there for a reason. :D

It's getting late so I'm off to bed.

For those of you still playing, happy hunting.

Alex

Tenbatsu said:
The armor system is even more amazing.

Perhaps I am missing something but the armor system seems to be pretty much the exact same thing, with the addition of an accessory slot.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
oh god @ the ridiculous amounts of loot that show up during quests all over the map. :lol

This is totally going to take over my life

Tenbatsu

Alex said:
Perhaps I am missing something but the armor system seems to be pretty much the exact same thing, with the addition of an accessory slot.
Yes! That charm accessory works like a charm! You will know why soon:D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
SalsaShark said:
Getting this tomorrow. Any advice for a new player in the MH series ?

The OP post #2 has awesome tips, even if you won't understand them all.

Thoughts from my awesome initial 10 minute play session (fucking graveyard shift :'():

-Anyone not using the CCPro (specifically config 1) is a masochist. The controls are still not "normal" even with this configuration. I can't imagine making it any more complicated and still being able to play :lol
-The font is seriously laughable. It's absolutely tiny even in places it doesn't need to be at all and just a serious strain on the eyes for me. I am getting that this game is not meant to be played on a 17-inch screen in aaany way (and I will be figuring out how to hook my Wii up to an LCD monitor) but man is it silly.
-Animations are really great, stunning even. Everything feels alive.
-I started typing this an hour ago and forgot about it

Remfin

Does upgrading armor ever do anything more than increase defense? More deco slots, resists, skill points, etc?

BTW, people definitely need to check out the options screens. You don't have to use the Wiimote to do pointing, for instance.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Remfin said:
Does upgrading armor ever do anything more than increase defense? More deco slots, resists, skill points, etc?

BTW, people definitely need to check out the options screens. You don't have to use the Wiimote to do pointing, for instance.

When you get to a certain HR, you can upgrade to G armor and activate color customization (don't get excited).

Top Bottom