• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

I actually might still play but it depends if I can finish the construction on my Bnahabra armor since I just made a serious breakthrough. I'm playing this game way too late :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Haha... is that one back up yet?

Also did anybody else notice server maintenance is every week on Tuesday 12-4AM? That is serious downtime!

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
How hard is Gobul compared to the others? I had a pretty tuff time with Barroth since my gear sucks, but Royal Ludroth was cake.

Any advice? I don't want to rush in and lose, because i've been playing with pretty trash gear/weps just rushing through monsters to unlock LS (happens after this guy)

FootNinja said:
How hard is Gobul compared to the others? I had a pretty tuff time with Barroth since my gear sucks, but Royal Ludroth was cake.

Any advice? I don't want to rush in and lose, because i've been playing with pretty trash gear/weps just rushing through monsters to unlock LS (happens after this guy)
Gobul's way easier than Barroth. Killed it on my first attempt. You can probably swing it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Gobul is easier, Barroth is kind of ridiculous TBH, when he's mad its like "okay wait like 10 minutes."

Gwanatu T

Brannon said:
It's a lot of hassle; the person you are speaking to also has to have a Wii Speak, and they have to be your friend. But everybody has a USB keyboard it seems, and those are at least $10 cheaper.

I got my Wii Speak off Ebay for $12 with free shipping, and it came with everything but the box and works perfectly. I highly recommend it.

I'm hovering around HR12 now and have yet to even run across another person who requires Wii Speak to communicate. Plenty of people have it, but they're keeping it muted for whatever reason. I'm not finding the voice chat to be integral just yet.

Gwanatu T

Attack You said:
I'm hovering around HR12 now and have yet to even run across another person who requires Wii Speak to communicate. Plenty of people have it, but they're keeping it muted for whatever reason. I'm not finding the voice chat to be integral just yet.

After playing tons of MHF and MHF2 on the PSP I'm honestly not sure how anyone could play this game without voice communication. Maybe I just got spoiled by being in the same room as the people I'm gaming with, but I wouldn't even want to play without the voice. With that being said, unless you play with friends you're pretty much stuck I suppose. What a shame.

kinggroin

Banned
Went online last night to register my hunter name. I didn't intend to actually join a city, but I was curious, so I warped into a room with 3 others who had just got back from a quest.

I didn't have time to join them on the next outing, so I challenged all three to an arm wrestling contest! After flipping each one over the table in victory, I stood proud, posing like a champion...

...then they all left the room :lol

Anywho, can't wait for Saturday. Gwanatu and his cronies will be joining for a nice get together; should be quite the experience!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Query: How do event weapons work? Are they rewards for when the events become available, and when the event is open can you keep the weapon? If you miss an event, is there any other way to obtain the weapon reward?

And on a technical level, are event rewards content that is on the disk, but locked for events, or are they actual DLC?

Luigiv

EatChildren said:
Query: How do event weapons work? Are they rewards for when the events become available, and when the event is open can you keep the weapon? If you miss an event, is there any other way to obtain the weapon reward?

And on a technical level, are event rewards content that is on the disk, but locked for events, or are they actual DLC?
You get event weapons by crafting them from special items that are exclusively attained as rewards for completing the event quests. If you miss out the first time then you'll need to wait until Capcom decides to make the quests available again.

On a technical level, it's pretty much all on the disc.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
So I killed gobul, did the leader of the ice pack quest, and some other 4 star quest..still no LS.
Why would they do this to me?

It's not like the long sword is over powered or anything, this is just cruel to people who only want to use the LS.

ravien56

So I pre-ordered the game from EB, I'm up in Ontario and for those of us who live here, I think you guys can relate to this story but we usually get fucked when it comes to this stuff. Anyways, so I pre-ordered the CE, with the special controller and everything. So on Tuesday, I call the eb and the chick picks up the phone, asks if I pre-ordered and then asks for my information and says ok you got the CE, but its been delayed and it should be here tomorrow. Whatever, thats fine, I'm not impatient anymore with games. Usually in that situation, I'd get pissed off and go to Futureshop and buy it but whatever, been a bit busy last year or so and my play time with games is pretty limited.

So Wednesday rolls around, I call them up and she says there was a problem. Pretty much I go to the store and she explains the situation. She said that the allocation for the CE was fucked up and she didn't get enough or any? It just kind of bugged me because when I pre-ordered, she said I was the first one on the list. Anyways, to rectify the situation, she ended up having the black CC controller separately and she was willing to just give me the game with the controller for the same price as the CE so its all good I guess.

Got home and opened everything up. The controller, is awesome. I really like the material they use on the back of it, it has a really good grip and its nice and shiny.

I had homebrew on my Wii, so I turn on my Wii, first time in a few months and the batteries don't work. Fuck. Gotta drive to the store. Drive to the store, change the batteries and load it up. Then I try installing the game to the hard drive. It installs and everything, I launch the game and on start up, it just gives me a blank screen. I'm pretty much losing my patience at this point, so I ended up just getting rid of homebrew, updated the Wii, launched it and thats it. I really haven't been this excited to play a game for about a year, I love this game.

Ended up making a female this time, see how the armor differs. I played about 375 hours into MHF2, so I'm not exactly a noob. My only gripe with the game so far and I know they did this because of all the new players is how slooooooow it starts. I played 4 hours yesterday and got my first slaying quest. Anyways, really enjoying the game so far.

FootNinja said:
So I killed gobul, did the leader of the ice pack quest, and some other 4 star quest..still no LS.

It's not like the long sword is over powered or anything, this is just cruel to people who only want to use the LS.
Imagine how you would have felt if your choice would have been gunlance...

ravien56

FootNinja said:

I forgot to ask when they give you LS. That fucking blows.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ravien56 said:
It installs and everything, I launch the game and on start up, it just gives me a blank screen.

You need to use Hermes' IOS222 v4 to get it working with a loader, or as it might look on your loader options, 222-mload.

Mafro

Woooooooooooo!

89852310-7f8cd1243b3dbf3ee0057548a7.jpg

Mafro

Oxx said:
When's the un-boxing video hitting Youtube, Mafro?
Should have done that with my little Flip video camera :(

Damn, Wii Speak is tiny :lol

These two monster figurines are really nice, but the rubber fucking stinks, feels like I'm about to pass out if I have a big sniff :lol

JudgeN

So to my PSP vets in here, how do Long Swords compare in terms of power/usefulness vs the PSP version? (I was totally a LS whore, eventually branching out to Hammers/GS) I"m looking at the MH wiki located here:

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_3

And it seems the variety in LS have taken a nose dive IMO, or maybe there just a whole lot less of them. If my favorite weapon got nerfed should I stick with Hammers/GS?

When can you make your first Long sword? Seem you can't make your first Long sword till you hit 4 star quests, I have to admit that's kind of fucked up :lol

O and is there some sort of hack for the US people to get the Japaneses event only stuff?

joelseph

Few super noob questions:

1. How do you track how many resources you have collected? I only did the first quest last night, the collect 30 resources one, and I couldn't figure out when I had collected enough stuff from the corpses to complete the quest.

2. Is there a pause in single-player?

3. I bought a sword and equipped it and now I can't find my starting sword and shield, are they gone?

Soneet said:
That was what I was fearing. The one thing I couldn't predict was that MH3 itself is cutting off Wii Speak people! Why limit Wii Speak when general chat is open anyway? I don't get it :(

I still think it's better to convince them to go Wii Speak, so you can go Wii Speak, because otherwise you'll be buying a headset for 2 people instead of the hundreds and soon thousands of people with Wii Speak. You can still bet that veterans later on will all have Wii Speak and personally I think the best meat of the game is in the super pro team work in the end-game.
As much as I want to agree with these ideals, I can't in good conscience recommend people use Wii Speak :(

Tried it agian last night. Still muffled, still mostly inaudible, and borderline useless. I can't speak for others but I can't stand having to repeat myself 2-3 times EVERY TIME I say something, nor having to ask my freinds to do the same.

I ended up setting up Skype instead. Same people, same internet connection, but crystal clear voice chat. No fancy microphone just your standard PC mic. I can now talk in a low quiet voice and talk with any of my freinds without forcing them to shell out $20 for a crummy accessory just to hear me.

Luigiv

joelseph said:
Few super noob questions:

1. How do you track how many resources you have collected? I only did the first quest last night, the collect 30 resources one, and I couldn't figure out when I had collected enough stuff from the corpses to complete the quest.

Check your inventory.

2. Is there a pause in single-player?

Hit the home button.

3. I bought a sword and equipped it and now I can't find my starting sword and shield, are they gone?

Go into your house and open your chest to change equipment

ravien56

So couple questions.
1. I did the first slaying quest yesterday, kill 6 Rudroths. I killed maybe 4 of them and it counted only 1....wtf?
2. Is there a equivalent to MHF2 in terms of quests? Theres so far it looks like only guild quests, no nekehot...

gotee12

ravien56 said:
So couple questions.
1. I did the first slaying quest yesterday, kill 6 Rudroths. I killed maybe 4 of them and it counted only 1....wtf?
2. Is there a equivalent to MHF2 in terms of quests? Theres so far it looks like only guild quests, no nekehot...
As far as question 1 goes, are you sure you didn't mistake Epioths for Ludroths? They do kinda resemble each other underwater...

Luigiv

ravien56 said:
So couple questions.
2. Since this is just vanilla MH3 there are no G rank quests (or high rank single player). Those are reserved for the inevitable MH3G/MHP3G/Whatever G version they decide to eventually do.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Made a full set of Jaggi armor yesterday. I'm still having issues capturing the great jaggi though. I get him to start limping and then trap him with a shock trap. I kept spamming tranq bombs, but he eventually got out. I tried like 4 times....

ravien56

DRock said:
Made a full set of Jaggi armor yesterday. I'm still having issues capturing the great jaggi though. I get him to start limping and then trap him with a shock trap. I kept spamming tranq bombs, but he eventually got out. I tried like 4 times....
It might be different but Mhf2 just needed 2 bombs to capture a monster.

oracrest

DRock said:

you tranq him twice while he is shocked?

You can also try letting him get away, and then follow him to his den where he will fall asleep, an easy capture at that point.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
oracrest said:
you tranq him twice while he is shocked?

You can also try letting him get away, and then follow him to his den where he will fall asleep, an easy capture at that point.

I ran through about 5 tranq bombs when he was shocked. A few may have hit the jaggia that were around him though. Do you guys usually clear out the little guys before trying to trap the big guy?

Also is there any way to pick up a trap once it's placed? I placed a trap and the GJ ran to another zone as I was placing it. I had to wait till it disappeared to drop another one. I also tried to get him to follow me back to the zone, but didn't have much luck. Is there an item that helps with this?

ravien56

Seraphis Cain said:
Damn that just makes it more confusing.
So when is LS or switch axe unlocked?
Also is there any way to pick up a trap once it's placed? I placed a trap and the GJ ran to another zone as I was placing it. I had to wait till it disappeared to drop another one. I also tried to get him to follow me back to the zone, but didn't have much luck. Is there an item that helps with this?
I don't think so.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
oracrest said:

That is fucking awesome. I can't wait to play... should be home in about an hour. Hopefully I can stay awake for a few quests :lol

Top Bottom