• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Nicktals

Banned
oracrest said:
you tranq him twice while he is shocked?

You can also try letting him get away, and then follow him to his den where he will fall asleep, an easy capture at that point.

Didn't know this one. Do you only have to use tranqs then? or do you still have to somehow get him into a trap?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
sprsk said:
When you get to a certain HR, you can upgrade to G armor and activate color customization (don't get excited).

Unless you use Ludroth armor. :D It changes the color of the entire armor set.

Also regarding online, I have yet to come across a WiiSpeak user. It seems to me as though the majority of players are using USB keyboards. And really, I was going to get a WiiSpeak, but having seen how well the keyboard chat works, I think I'll pass.

Also regarding the keyboard chat, what the hell is up with all the censored words? I've come across several, aside from the obvious ones:

AIDS (When a real life friend of mine was trying to tell me to "Die of AIDS" :lol )
Kakashi (CAPCOM HAET NARUTO)
Kaka
Crap (Crap is not a swear, Capcom)
AFTER. Yes. the word AFTER is censored. WHAT. THE. FUCK. :lol :lol

EDIT: Wait, does this explain it?

After:
A German word meaning anus. One to avoid when engaging in conversation with Berliner society matrons.
In spite of many years spent living in New York City, Hans (ever polite) still approached the word "after" with trepedation, still connecting it with both his mother tongue, and his nether regions.

Is Capcom seriously using the same censored word list for all regions or something? Seriously? :lol :lol Should have figured that when I discovered that the word "bloody" was censored too.

Gnub

ravien56 said:
It looks like shit on HD.
I started playing using composite cables and the game did look like crap. Then I made the switch to component cables and it made a huge difference.

ravien56

Gnub said:
I started playing using composite cables and the game did look like crap. Then I made the switch to component cables and it made a huge difference.
I'm using components also. I guess it would look a lot worst with composite.

DRock said:
I ran through about 5 tranq bombs when he was shocked. A few may have hit the jaggia that were around him though. Do you guys usually clear out the little guys before trying to trap the big guy?

Also is there any way to pick up a trap once it's placed? I placed a trap and the GJ ran to another zone as I was placing it. I had to wait till it disappeared to drop another one. I also tried to get him to follow me back to the zone, but didn't have much luck. Is there an item that helps with this?
I caught it in a shock trap after I got it limping and tossed all the tranq bombs I had- 4 or whatever was provided by the blue box.

When it didn't go down, I decided to kill it while it was still trapped. After wailing on it for a while, it suddenly fell asleep and I got the quest cleared message. Not sure how I feel about limping not being a reliable cue to capture :/.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Lance Bone Path said:
I caught it in a shock trap after I got it limping and tossed all the tranq bombs I had- 4 or whatever was provided by the blue box.

When it didn't go down, I decided to kill it while it was still trapped. After wailing on it for a while, it suddenly fell asleep and I got the quest cleared message. Not sure how I feel about limping not being a reliable cue to capture :/.
Interesting, I'll keep this in mind when I try again tonight. I want to get trapping down before I start playing seriously online.

Gwanatu T

Lance Bone Path said:
Not sure how I feel about limping not being a reliable cue to capture :/.

Limping is the only cue to capture. When a monster limps, you hit it with tranqs. Unless they changed this mechanics from previous entries of the series, it shouldn't be any different.

DRock

Gwanatu T said:
Limping is the only cue to capture. When a monster limps, you hit it with tranqs. Unless they changed this mechanics from previous entries of the series, it shouldn't be any different.
It has to be in a trap before hitting it with tranqs though right?

Tenbatsu

ravien56 said:
Shock trap only. No pitfall.
Pitfall works too. You can either trap and throw or throw and trap, both way works.
You all can equip that skill that enables you to see if the monster is catchable not btw.

Btw I tried online 3 players with wiispeak
with my friends and wow while fighting at the jaggies area it was so dam laggy. I never encounter this kind of lag before during my 700hrs of play in the jap ver. I wonder if it is due to wiispeak. I need to try using keyboard to compare, it's almost unplayable.

ShinNL

Tenbatsu said:
Pitfall works too. You can either trap and throw or throw and trap, both way works.
You all can equip that skill that enables you to see if the monster is catchable not btw.

Btw I tried online 3 players with wiispeak
with my friends and wow while fighting at the jaggies area it was so dam laggy. I never encounter this kind of lag before during my 700hrs of play in the jap ver. I wonder if it is due to wiispeak. I need to try using keyboard to compare, it's almost unplayable.
In your case it might be the higher bandwidth + longer distance causing that. 2 factors.

Tenbatsu

Soneet said:
In your case it might be the higher bandwidth + longer distance causing that. 2 factors.
Yeah I suppose. Connecting to a japan server is nearer than connecting to a NA one from my country. Let me try using keyboard and off wiispeak tomorrow and see If the lag still persist. 2 players was fine thou, zero lag.

SYNTAX182

Amneisac said:
Yeah I was going to say it'll look nice on your TV if it's an EDTV CRT with component hookups.

I'm using a Samsung HDTV 32" with components and the Wii settings on 480p. It looks real good.

Probably depends on what HD set you're using.

Pietepiet

European servers are up! Oh man, this is fantastic. Just fought my first Royal Ludroth online. We died, but my god was that battle awesome :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Something about the combat and action in general in this game just feels... right.

It is very reminiscent of Demon's Souls for me, certainly.

DRock said:
Made a full set of Jaggi armor yesterday. I'm still having issues capturing the great jaggi though. I get him to start limping and then trap him with a shock trap. I kept spamming tranq bombs, but he eventually got out. I tried like 4 times....
I hate to ask this, because I sound like an ass for assuming as much, but are you pelting him in the face with the tranquilizer bombs? They're most effective if they hit a monster in the face. Tranq shots from gunners, however, work pretty much anywhere.

DRock said:
I ran through about 5 tranq bombs when he was shocked. A few may have hit the jaggia that were around him though. Do you guys usually clear out the little guys before trying to trap the big guy?

Also is there any way to pick up a trap once it's placed? I placed a trap and the GJ ran to another zone as I was placing it. I had to wait till it disappeared to drop another one. I also tried to get him to follow me back to the zone, but didn't have much luck. Is there an item that helps with this?
Pelt it with dung bombs to make it leave the zone and hope it returns to one with the trap in it.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
ravien56 said:
When do you get it?
Well there is some truth to the "after you finish the 3* urgent you can get it!" Its just that you have to wait for the trade ship to come back to your port, which can take a few days. This is why you get so many "try to finish ________ quest, that did it for me" its just a matter of letting in-game days pass.

Thing is, even after that you have to build the LS yourself, and cant simply buy one. I'm guessing you can buy one after you finish the 4* urgent.

Saya

I unlocked the sandy plains area in the game, but is it also possible to explore that area just in a regular way. I mean going there without doing a quest?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
FootNinja said:
Well there is some truth to the "after you finish the 3* urgent you can get it!" Its just that you have to wait for the trade ship to come back to your port, which can take a few days. This is why you get so many "try to finish ________ quest, that did it for me" its just a matter of letting in-game days pass.

Thing is, even after that you have to build the LS yourself, and cant simply buy one. I'm guessing you can buy one after you finish the 4* urgent.

Nope. I'm well into the 5* quests and neither LS or SA have shown up at the weapon vendor. Don't think you can buy them at all.

Saya said:
I unlocked the sandy plains area in the game, but is it also possible to explore that area just in a regular way. I mean going there without doing a quest?

Technically no, at least not in the same way Moga Forest works. However, once you get to the 3* quests, you can go to Sandy Plains and
Flooded Forest
in a "Gathering Quest". Which basically entails going to the area, doing whatever you want, and then going back to camp and delivering a Paw Pass Ticket to end the quest. The only stipulation is that you have to be in the area for at least five minutes before the Paw Pass Ticket shows up in your blue box.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Saya said:
You will later unlock a quest that lets you go there without any true mission to accomplish. You win the quest by passing enough time so that the "pawpass ticket" gets delivered to your blue box, then you go pick it up/drop it off at the red box and the quest ends.

What are people's impressions of the Wii speak? For now I made a voice chat room on my PS3 with my old Adhoc MHU buddies. I am glad I am not the only one having trouble with the typing (alphabetical, really?) and "after" not registering.

Cannot believe how excited I was when I got my hammer to green sharpness :D . I used to complain about not having purple sharpness.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Not having every type of weapon available from the get go is really really lame =/. I want my switch axe so badly, but I need 2 monster fluids to make one at the online smithy.

DRock

Attack You said:
I hate to ask this, because I sound like an ass for assuming as much, but are you pelting him in the face with the tranquilizer bombs? They're most effective if they hit a monster in the face...
I was not hitting him in the face, I did not know this THANKS!!!

Pancho said:
Not having every type of weapon available from the get go is really really lame =/. I want my switch axe so badly, but I need 2 monster fluids to make one at the online smithy.
Go to Moga Village. Go to area 2. Wait for the bugs to walk over to the mushrooms and feed. As soon as they are full they will have green or blue backends. Kill them. Items drop on the ground. Collect your monster fluids =)

Pancho

Qurupancho
manofmandango said:
Go to Moga Village. Go to area 2. Wait for the bugs to walk over to the mushrooms and feed. As soon as they are full they will have green or blue backends. Kill them. Items drop on the ground. Collect your monster fluids =)

................:lol
That easy huh?
*feels shame*

Saya said:
In addition to the Pawpass Tickets others have mentioned, if you just need materials, you can finish an easier sub-quest, return to camp, go over to your bed, and end the quest via sub-quest. That way, you keep everything you pick up during a quest. Abandoning a quest reverts your inventory to its pre-quest status.

Pietepiet

Keep getting connection errors when I want to connect to a city :( Think I'll get one of those adapters that lets you use a wired internet connection. My router isn't supported by Nintendo and their Wifi stick sucks..

Got my ultimate box, setup wii speak (hated being beneath my tv. works fine on top)
not sure about the controller yet, wish I could swap the buttons around alittle.
Only up to the Quest for Iron ore but I bought the full leather set to speed up gathering :)

Pancho said:
................:lol
That easy huh?
*feels shame*
It took me a while to figure it out. Others have just been poisoning them and then carving. And to do this you CAN'T crush them. Not the easiest thing to do when you're wielding a giant fucking great sword. :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
:lol I love this game.

"It's giving me 50 minutes to collect five mushrooms? What kind of insulting shit is this?"

"Oh what, a bunch of items to use just for the quest, including a bunch of new ammo to play around with? Awesome!"

*runs around killing everything in sight in a plethora of ways*

FIVE MINUTES REMAINING

"OH FUCK I WAS SUPPOSED TO COLLECT MUSHROOMS"

*runs around and grabs them and turns them in with one minute left"

holy god I just wasted an hour on the collecting mushrooms quest. got some decent training with the bowgun though. I think I am going to stick with light bowguns the whole way through... does anybody know what the max weight a bowgun can have and still be considered light is?

Finally got my bundle in the mail today! :D

EDIT: Random thought, but I like what Capcom is doing with the full-color print for Wii disc art. Are any other developers/publishers doing this?

Mannnnnnnn....

The more I read this thread, the more I want to give this a shot. Never having played any MH games, I'm reluctant to drop the scratch on it blindly. If I like slow, meticulous games like Demons Souls, and am generally a fan of action-rpgs and dungeon crawlers, would this be up my alley?

Also, how integral is the online co-op aspect in terms of acquiring the best loot and getting the most out of the game? Would it be possible to build a good-enough character and score good-enough loot to take down the game's larger monsters in single-player? Or is the very elite stuff reserved for co-op only?

Thanks monster-slayin' GAF.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Funky Functionality said:
Mannnnnnnn....

The more I read this thread, the more I want to give this a shot. Never having played any MH games, I'm reluctant to drop the scratch on it blindly. If I like slow, meticulous games like Demons Souls, and am generally a fan of action-rpgs and dungeon crawlers, would this be up my alley?

YES

I've only played two hours

There's an item called Funky Pheromones if that helps.
I believe the singleplayer quests and multiplayer quests are completely different, if that answers your question. There are completely different hubs for each.

EDIT: Pro-tip: apparently equipping a new weapon puts your entire inventory into a seperate pouch. Definitely go to your home and take out the stuff you want. I got very hungry after discovering I had no way to cook meat out on that quest.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yup. From what I hear, it's far and away the best one for new players. The beginning is very structured and tutorial-y but not overwhelming.

Top Bottom