• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Brannon

I'm online right now if anyone wants to add me.

Name-Brannon
ID-V3Y49K
Region-US
Using keyboard tonight in the OPEN servers, Valor 4, Gate 1

jrricky

Banned
I just registered myself for online and got my ID. name is jrricky.

Also, I saw the servers while online, are those the only ones (since it doesnt look like a lot)? What if they are all full, cant play online?

I am trying to understand armory too, what are skill points that are for each armor, how do you figure?

Alex

He shouldn't spawn too many Jaggi's at a time, try not to fight him in the nest, that might be your problem if you're getting that many.

You can hit him with a dung bomb to make him flee a zone, although I don't think it works if it's enraged at the time (monsters will have some form of graphic to let you know they're pissed off and they usually move faster).

If you're having trouble adapting to the G.Sword at first, just use a lot of hit and runs until you're more comfortable with it's weight and the patterns on the boss. Unsheathe attacks get bonus damage.

gotee12

Woo hoo! Just solo'd the online Great Jaggi quest and accomplished both subquest's! Man I love this game...

edit: 10 minutes after the quest completion and I can still fell the adrenaline pumping in my veins!!! :D

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I must be an idiot because I am having trouble finishing the "Farm Aid" quest. I can only fin 4 out of the 5 Jaggia. I found one in area 5 and three in area 6. The last one? Have no fricken clue where it is. I've looked in every area now.

Some help please?

Edit: never mind, restarted quest and he showed up. weird.

john tv

kafka rock opera said:
Yeah we most definitely need to choose a room/city hub to frequent that way we can always at least pop in to see if anyone is already on and ready to go. Probably something in the recruitment/open hub thing. Someone choose a place/city as our IT spot.
Agreed -- has nobody decided on a set server for GAFfers? It'll be a lot easier to find games if we choose a server and stick to it.

Thx for the props on the localization BTW! I'll make sure the team sees all of your comments. :) GAF = BFF!

gotee12

Does the "Monster List" under "Hunter's Notes" only show monsters defeated in offline? I just beat the Great Jaggia online and it's not listed under "Monster List"....

Tenbatsu

Seraphis Cain said:
In 90% of cases, it's not wise to mix-and-match armor sets.
This is WRONG. Mixing and matching armor is part of the charm of MH3, and only in MH3, cant speak for the rest in the series. If you never mix your armor in MH3, you are certainly playing it the wrong way.

Teknoman said:
Btw anyone know how to use items with your sword drawn? Demo said you could use items while using sword and shield, but I still have to sheath my sword before downing potions/throwing knives.
Just press use?

josh_tarrant

Neo Member
I can't freaking wait for this game. Out next week in Aus.

I have played around on one of the games on the PSP - but as soon as this was announced saved myself for it - seems like the kind of game that would be better on a big screen. Looking forward to losing myself for a weekend in this game.

I just know that I am going to suck balls hard though. Think I will spend the majority of my time offline to start with. Figure out all the weapons and amour.

Between this and the recent release of Rune Factory - my wii is going to be getting a lot of action.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Tenbatsu said:
This is WRONG. Mixing and matching armor is part of the charm of MH3, and only in MH3, cant speak for the rest in the series. If you never mix your armor in MH3, you are certainly playing it the wrong way.

Just press use?

Got any advice for armor mixing early on?

Gamer @ Heart said:
Gahhhh. I screwed up a long cap quest cause I fumbled my controller and opened menus making me slow to tranq. Such stupid bullshit all because of carelessesness.

Glad to have you back monster hunter

Those were both epic attempts man. I had a ton of fun making sure i wasnt the weak link. And we had that one guy who was pretty bad about getting hit all the time and not healing. Also id kill an actual human for a headset that works with wii. REALLY felt odd using wiispeak and the quality wasnt good enough for me to think otherwise. Always felt like i was yelling :(

jrricky

Banned
jrricky said:
I just registered myself for online and got my ID. name is jrricky.

Also, I saw the servers while online, are those the only ones (since it doesnt look like a lot)? What if they are all full, cant play online?

I am trying to understand armory too, what are skill points that are for each armor, how do you figure?

Gah! Gamefaqs doesnt have anything on the skillpoints system either. :/

Poyunch

What's with the armor stats? If it's a negative number does that mean I'll receive more damage for that type if I wear it?

Tenbatsu said:

Just press use?
Yeah I can't seem to do that. If I'm using CC1 what button is it? If I press Y I just sheath my weapon.

Ugh, I didn't know amazon takes so long to do stuff. They won't even ship the stuff I ordered until next tuesday so maybe by next weekend I'll have my stuff? They suck without prime. :/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ugh, I didn't know amazon takes so long to do stuff. They won't even ship the stuff I ordered until next tuesday so maybe by next weekend I'll have my stuff? They suck without prime. :/

I finally tried out the Prime trial for this... it's pretty goddamn amazing I must say. If I used Amazon more it'd really be worth it.

Granted it's looking like it wouldn't have mattered if I didn't get the game til tomorrow, but whatever...

That is- the reason I haven't posted my impressions of the game yet is that I am embroiled in a ridiculous Wii homebrew saga involving two Wiis, two sd cards, and three hard drives. But I hope to be able to play the game before I go into work at 2 AM or roughly 3 hours away.... :p

Hawkian said:
I finally tried out the Prime trial for this... it's pretty goddamn amazing I must say. If I used Amazon more it'd really be worth it.

Granted it's looking like it wouldn't have mattered if I didn't get the game til tomorrow, but whatever...

That is- the reason I haven't posted my impressions of the game yet is that I am embroiled in a ridiculous Wii homebrew saga involving two Wiis, two sd cards, and three hard drives. But I hope to be able to play the game before I go into work at 2 AM or roughly 3 hours away.... :p

I let mine lapse the other week because I don't have the money to renew right now. I sure don't remember them being this sucky...

Tenbatsu

sprsk said:
Got any advice for armor mixing early on?
Early on its a bit tricky as you have no charm in your possession so the mixing is pretty limited. Basically:

1. You think of what role and playing style you want to be (miner, swimmer etc)
2. Look for matching skills Eg. Miner: 'HiSpdGathr + Gathering + Whim' they are a set but you can also include compatible skills like 'Fate' or 'Carving'
3. Scan thru your charm (if you have them) and armors
4. Do a bit of calculation and try to mix and match to execute the skills

PounchEnvy said:
What's with the armor stats? If it's a negative number does that mean I'll receive more damage for that type if I wear it?
Yes, negative usually results in a negative effect.

Teknoman said:
Yup, correct. Have to hold block then press Y to use item
For CC1, you need to block before using item. The other two controls scheme you can just eat by pressing the item use button.

Poyunch

Tenbatsu said:
Early on its a bit tricky as you have no charm in your possession so the mixing is pretty limited. Basically:

1. You think of what role and playing style you want to be (miner, swimmer etc)
2. Look for matching skills Eg. Miner: 'HiSpdGathr + Gathering + Whim' they are a set but you can also include compatible skills like 'Fate' or 'Carving'
3. Scan thru your charm (if you have them) and armors
4. Do a bit of calculation and try to mix and match to execute the skills

Yes, negative usually results in a negative effect.

For CC1, you need to block before using item. The other two controls scheme you can just eat by pressing the item use button.
Teknoman said:
Yup, correct. Have to hold block then press Y to use item
Thanks for the tips!

edit: I'm thinking of introducing some of my friends to MH. What should I do/link to?

Nicktals

Banned
gotee12 said:
Does the "Monster List" under "Hunter's Notes" only show monsters defeated in offline? I just beat the Great Jaggia online and it's not listed under "Monster List"....

You realize the monster list isn't for monsters you have killed, right? It's for monster who you have 'registered'. You do this (for classic control 1) by opening your hunter's notes menu, then point the remote at the screen, press B, hover over the monster you want to register, press A (while still holding B), then move the cursor to the lower right, where it will say something like "monster list", and let go of A.

It's easier than it sounds after you do it a couple times. Not ideal, but not terrible either.

Also, I captured the great jaggi on my first try. with my last trap, my last 2 tranq bombs, and under 3 minutes left. man i was pumped.

gotee12

Nicktals said:
You realize the monster list isn't for monsters you have killed, right? It's for monster who you have 'registered'. You do this (for classic control 1) by opening your hunter's notes menu, then point the remote at the screen, press B, hover over the monster you want to register, press A (while still holding B), then move the cursor to the lower right, where it will say something like "monster list", and let go of A.

It's easier than it sounds after you do it a couple times. Not ideal, but not terrible either.

Also, I captured the great jaggi on my first try. with my last trap, my last 2 tranq bombs, and under 3 minutes left. man i was pumped.
That makes sense. The ingame explanation left me confused (obviously). Thanx man.

jrricky

Banned
WTF!! I cant believe Im going to fail this quest because these damn kelbis arent dropping the right items. ARGH!!!

Yea, Im officially pissed. Is there like a 5% chance of getting what I want out of these creatures?

Khezu

jrricky said:
WTF!! I cant believe Im going to fail this quest because these damn kelbis arent dropping the right items. ARGH!!!

Kelbi horns? I got them by stunning them, they fall right over and you can carve them despite them still being alive, you seem to always get a horn that way, sometimes even blue kelbi horns.

To stun them, I used a GS, one blunt side slap attack and they fall right over.

Kevtones

jrricky said:

I'm using Sword/Shield and it seemed to help to knock them out with the shield and then farm for an item. I had much better success that way.

Also, HOLY SHIT at the Monster Guts quest. I nearly shit my pants...

Lagicrus spotted me in 11 and I went back to 10 to finish collecting the Monster Guts. As soon as I finished, the music got tense and I turned around to see the HUGE FUCKER swimming towards me! I booked it to the shore turning the camera facing me so I could see him cutting through the water towards me. He then got distracted by the harmless monsters there and I thought I was home free. Just as I got out of the water his HEAD suddenly came out and took a huge chunk from me. FREAKED ME THE FUCK OUT. This paragraph doesn't convey how intense it was. Seriously. Damn.

jrricky

Banned
Khezu said:
Kelbi horns? I got them by stunning them, they fall right over and you can carve them despite them still being alive, you seem to always get a horn that way, sometimes even blue kelbi horns.

To stun them, I used a GS, one blunt side slap attack and they fall right over.
f***ing saved! I never new monsters give different items based on if they are stunned or killed. thanks.

d0c_zaius

Teknoman said:
How are you HR7 already? No extra USBs around the place?

The HR system is totally revised with MH3.

So HR1-8 is 1 star quests online.
HR 9 - ? is 2 star etc.

So Ive been playing a lot since release but there are already 11s out there. Getting credit for any quest done towards HR rank (as its now raised by quest points) makes it go up quicker than the old days too. The randoms I was playing with last night are already 10.

The USB reference is over my head :D

jrricky

Banned
Also, does no one have any explanation on the skill tree?

EDIT: nvm, I read the hunters notes that tell me to use the Wiimote pointer to get more info...

Poyunch

jrricky said:
f***ing saved! I never new monsters give different items based on if they are stunned or killed. thanks.
Yeah I figured this out when I started doing the same with Kelbis (except with my shield with the SnS).

d0c_zaius

Hawkian said:
The "USB Reference" means you don't have a regular old USB (squarish connector) keyboard lying around?

Ahh yea my brain needs refueling lol, I wasnt thinking of keyboards. I have a kb but its missing the USB converter end.

I was considering picking up the wireless kb for the Wii as I dont think Im taking the risk on Wii speak. I have some good preset messages though, brings back the vibe of the PSO days.

If anyone needs help starting or whatever I have a room up in Recruiting, Wisdom 1 - City Gate 40

Pancho

Qurupancho
Man, MH3 doesn't fuck around online, a friend and I tried a couple of quests and got our asses terribly kicked against Kurupeko(sp?) and then we tried and tackled the first swimming monster you can hunt (forgot it's name), but I had tons of fun either way.

I Push Fat Kids said:
I'm using Sword/Shield and it seemed to help to knock them out with the shield and then farm for an item. I had much better success that way.

Also, HOLY SHIT at the Monster Guts quest. I nearly shit my pants...

Lagicrus spotted me in 11 and I went back to 10 to finish collecting the Monster Guts. As soon as I finished, the music got tense and I turned around to see the HUGE FUCKER swimming towards me! I booked it to the shore turning the camera facing me so I could see him cutting through the water towards me. He then got distracted by the harmless monsters there and I thought I was home free. Just as I got out of the water his HEAD suddenly came out and took a huge chunk from me. FREAKED ME THE FUCK OUT. This paragraph doesn't convey how intense it was. Seriously. Damn.
Good God! I hated that! After I got to safety on land I turned to my sister... 20 second blank stare :lol The music was crazy and the annoying startling sound effect almost killed me haha.

Anyway I think I have 10+ hours in so far~ oh man. Killed a bunch of great jaggis... in order to buy a new GS. Jesus two on the same map makes the kill last forever since I refuse to fight both fatties at the same time.

So far I'm just getting used to collecting stuff and combining. I'm going to make a million great potions because I'm still gonna get hit a lot in the future.

evangd007

Monster Hunter noob here. Got my first Great Jaggi kill today (Great Sword), and man did it feel good. Got the "Injure the Head" subquest too.

d0c_zaius

Teknoman said:
lol yeah, I just meant a USB keyboard. Have you guys decided on an official server yet?

haha I was thinking "ultimate sword and board?" too much MH on the brain over the last two days.

my vote is for wisdom 1 only for name really lol. In MH games I always picked the last room in a lobby for some reason, which for MH3 is Gate 40.

The servers are broken down into multiple lobby types: Recruiting (looking for people), Open (everyone), beginner and expert. Expert requires a HR rank but I dont know what it is right now.

Kyuuketsu_Night said:
Anyway I think I have 10+ hours in so far~ oh man. Killed a bunch of great jaggis... in order to buy a new GS. Jesus two on the same map makes the kill last forever since I refuse to fight both fatties at the same time.

I never used them in past games, but dung bombs seem to be pretty key in MH3 for getting one monster to leave an area. I need to use them more lol.

and the Wii has officially jacked my PC keyboard:lol

Top Bottom