• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Is anyone playing this on a Kuro? It looks a little blurry with side borders in widescreen/component. I'm wondering if I should be playing in 4:3 from the Wii menu and from my television.

Nicktals

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
Monster guts are in those big Nessie looking things in the ocean. Just makes sure you harvest them in the area where Lagiacrus IS NOT. The guild lady will always talk to you when you are in the right area for a fetch quest or hunt giving you tips on what to expect.

If you're talking to me, thanks, but I was on the 2 star quest, in the sandy plains. But I got help (just had to keep killing delex, which i had done, but hadn't gotten the guts...the percentage is fairly small).

Next up is capturing a great jaggi. eek. going to have to use a lot of stuff i haven't had any practice using yet (traps, tranqs, etc...).

Should be fun though :D

Nicktals

Banned
SYNTAX182 said:
Yeah man, I want my Switch-Axe!

Someone said earlier that the switch-axe is available right from the start online. so i suppose you could go online, buy one, and then go back to offline? I haven't been online yet, so I don't know for sure if that'd work...but seems like it would!

SYNTAX182

Nicktals said:
Someone said earlier that the switch-axe is available right from the start online. so i suppose you could go online, buy one, and then go back to offline? I haven't been online yet, so I don't know for sure if that'd work...but seems like it would!

Damn, I gotta try this. Thanks main.

SreyB

Nicktals said:

You're right, Switch axes are available from the beginning online.

Longswords are not : ( As I understand it, they don't become available until after the 3 Star Urgent Quest.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
SreyB said:
You're right, Switch axes are available from the beginning online.

Longswords are not : ( As I understand it, they don't become available until after the 3 Star Urgent Quest.
Fair enough. Time to get cracking on these 3 star quests then :)

cannot wait to play this. Picked it up this morning at fry's before work. Will be the first game my Wii has played for months since NSMB :lol

Teknoman

Still messing around in the demo trying to get the hang of Sword and Shield, since i'll be using that until Long Sword. After that a mix of both.

SreyB

FootNinja said:
Fair enough. Time to get cracking on these 3 star quests then :)

No doubt - the longsword is my jam too. BTW that info came from the Gamefaqs' Longsword Weapon Tree...

I guess I'll be slummin' it with a greatsword for now!

O... M... G...

This game... it makes me sad I have to work. It makes me sad that I have to sleep.

I WANT TO BE A HUNTER 25HS A DAY!

Fuck amazing game is fuck amazing! Online is soooo much fun! *-*

Best Wii game, and the best game I've played since Metroid Prime, both are rare pieces of gaming world, no other can't touch it.

Once again... CAPGOD! :D

ShinNL

Skiesofwonder said:
Also Soneet I'm not too sure how well your Online thread is going to help. Maybe I'm wrong, but to find someone they have to actually be online. So when I tried to search for everybody in that thread, it acted like none of them even existed because they were all offline. And even if I did find them, I couldn't send them an inbox (which is the only way to friend request someone I believe) because they weren't online at the time.
Thanks for your info Skiesofwonder. It's still good to keep a list of the Hunter IDs together, but I guess it won't be used for direct invites.

The best suggestion is probably doing it like how the PSP thread did it: specific day of the week in specific rooms so people know where to go to meet fellow GAF members.

We'll work up something when most players have played a bit more (and the rest of the world has the game as well, gah!)

Edit: I actually thought of something really cool, but I'll see if I can make it in the weekend.

Yeah we most definitely need to choose a room/city hub to frequent that way we can always at least pop in to see if anyone is already on and ready to go. Probably something in the recruitment/open hub thing. Someone choose a place/city as our IT spot.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
how the fuck do I enter pointer mode with the CCPro? o_O

we need a "controls" FAQ added to the OP

Brannon

With the CC Pro or regular CC you have to use the Wiimote.

This is risky for obvious reasons. I remember rushing to log the Lagicrus in my notes when it showed up for the first time. Almost got bit, but a scholar braves any condition to study the wildlife.

Then kill it and wear it as a natty little suit.

And I must say that I am loving the hell out of this wireless keyboard; it feels so much better than my old one, and it even works with my Wii.

Brannon said:
With the CC Pro or regular CC you have to use the Wiimote.

This is risky for obvious reasons. I remember rushing to log the Lagicrus in my notes when it showed up for the first time. Almost got bit, but a scholar braves any condition to study the wildlife.

Then kill it and wear it as a natty little suit.

And I must say that I am loving the hell out of this wireless keyboard; it feels so much better than my old one, and it even works with my Wii.
As soon as i saw that i was like oh hell naw never doing that. The quest that made me capture the monster was driving me insane. I SEEK THEIR BLOOD! But let me ask a question while im here. Are their specific special rewards from capturing that you cant get when you slay it?

Alex

I like CCPro style one the best. It's not really PSP style as PSP doesn't have double analog sticks. I'm going to miss the second analog stick when Freedom 3 comes out. CCPro style two is also good, it's the PS2 method, but I like having the second stick for the camera.

The Wii remote controls are kind of iffy, unless you're into the whole "awkward, inaccurate gestures should replace simple, precise, easy to chain button presses" gig. I am not. I'm fairly annoyed at the fact that they still try to force it on you even on a CC with help menus and monster scanning, but at least it's better than the bookshelf of confusion and guesswork from Freedom Unite

My biggest surprise is the respawning nodes and redone resource management. Conjoined with the MH1 styled meaning to everything, it really makes the game very well paced and full of life.

Farming was one of the few things that, even for it's own insular design, just didn't work as well as it should have in MH. It's so much nicer now when you're just fighting exploraiton and RNG rather than restart times.

I kind of hope they never let it get back to what Freedom Unite was again, there was just too much content, and it did really bad things for the pacing and balance. Cutting through Monsters at that speed because they had no meaning or place and skipping a huge majority of the equipment due to the sheer amount of it making it impossible to balance was not as exciting.

Although I'm still kind of lamenting the Hunting Horn and the Bow. Especially the Horn, that had such potential, just needed better implementation. I'm currently just using the same shit again; Hammer for farming and Heavy Bowgun for bosses. I kind of wish they had done a little more with the guns. The three part assembly is cool, so is the innate inaccuracies they can have but most of the melee weps have something that feels really significant. Like the short charge from the Hammer, man I get a lot of use out of that.

I really liked the Lance in MH1 (and I didnt even headlock back then!) but I still just cant' get into it. Even with the awesome additions. Counter is awesome and so is the dazing shield bash, but it lacks a certain savageness I've grown to love with the hammer.

My only real complaint thus far with Tri is that the resolution and blur are just ungodly awful on my TV. It looks really bad. Cranking the sharpness helps but then that fucks up the text. Ugh. I wish I had a place to put a CRT for Wii and a PS2.

I wonder what manner of horror it would look like if I had bought a PSP Go and did the TV/Dual Shock 3-out function on Freedom Unite.

andymcc

Banned
so i don't have to scour this thread, is Wii Speak absolutely necessary to enjoy/play this game? do a lot of people use it? i already have a classic controller pro and have store credit for gamestop, so, I'm considering the standard edition of this and Super Street Fighter IV.

Brannon

GaimeGuy said:
how the fuck do I enter pointer mode with the CCPro? o_O

we need a "controls" FAQ added to the OP

Guess I forgot to answer the question;

when in a menu, look on the lower right of the screen and it will say " Pointer". That's when you point your Wiimote at the screen and hold B to make a targeting cursor appear.

Brannon

andymcc said:
so i don't have to scour this thread, is Wii Speak absolutely necessary to enjoy/play this game? do a lot of people use it? i already have a classic controller pro and have store credit for gamestop, so, I'm considering the standard edition of this and Super Street Fighter IV.

It's a lot of hassle; the person you are speaking to also has to have a Wii Speak, and they have to be your friend. But everybody has a USB keyboard it seems, and those are at least $10 cheaper.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah, pointing is a bit strange, but I'm used to it. Press "-", press R, then B on the Wii remote, and then drag 'n drop. It sounds strange, but you'll get used to it. And luckily, it doesn't happen too often.

Teknoman

I think you get more materials/higher chance for rare materials if you capture a monster.

My Wii speak seems to work fine in the wii speak channel at sensitivity 3. Plus you're supposed to sit a decent distance away from it while speaking at normal room volume. Not sure if any of those settings pass over to actual games though.

Also could someone point out the importance of the different Sword+shield moves? I know the shield attack can KO a monster, but not sure if one slash type is stronger than another.

andymcc

Banned
Brannon said:
It's a lot of hassle; the person you are speaking to also has to have a Wii Speak, and they have to be your friend. But everybody has a USB keyboard it seems, and those are at least $10 cheaper.

alright, that answers my question. hopefully i can convince the significant other why i need this and ssfiv both. :lol

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Nicktals said:
If you're talking to me, thanks, but I was on the 2 star quest, in the sandy plains. But I got help (just had to keep killing delex, which i had done, but hadn't gotten the guts...the percentage is fairly small).

Next up is capturing a great jaggi. eek. going to have to use a lot of stuff i haven't had any practice using yet (traps, tranqs, etc...).

Should be fun though :D
I failed that quest twice killing him both times accidentally. Pissed me off that I lost my subquest rewards.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
kafka rock opera said:
Yeah we most definitely need to choose a room/city hub to frequent that way we can always at least pop in to see if anyone is already on and ready to go. Probably something in the recruitment/open hub thing. Someone choose a place/city as our IT spot.

This is a good idea.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How exactly do you "scan" a monster to get infos on it? I've tried using the Pointer mode like they told me, pointing at monsters, pressing A or B while pointing at them, and still nothing. My monster data log is empty. How does it works? Aaaaah!

And man, seeing the Lagiacrus for the first time in that monster gut quest was scary. Especially when i noticed that bastard could also travel betweens different areas. I was like "Oh shit! I have to go near him if I wanna get out of here."

Bisnic said:
How exactly do you "scan" a monster to get infos on it? I've tried using the Pointer mode like they told me, pointing at monsters, pressing A or B while pointing at them, and still nothing. My monster data log is empty. How does it works? Aaaaah!

And man, seeing the Lagiacrus for the first time in that monster gut quest was scary. Especially when i noticed that bastard could also travel betweens different areas. I was like "Oh shit! I have to go near him if I wanna get out of here."
You have to open your Hunter's Note first, then go into Pointer Mode.

gkryhewy

This game is really fun so far. Just played about 2 hours of single player, my first MH experience ever. The demo turned me off, but I'm glad I stuck with my pre order.

Are there any video or audio options I'm missing? I thought I saw something about surround sound and overscan options, but I cant find them in the menu. The music is great innany case, and the graphics have their moments.

Bison11

Got this earlier today. I have done probably like 2 or 3 of the beginning quests. It seems pretty cool so far and the Classic Controller Pro is awesome. I want some sweet stuff though. Is there a guide you guys go to to see how to get and make the coolest stuff?

gunther

wich server are you using GAF?!!!!!
We really need a way to meet in the game :D.
This game is awesome, just got my ass kicked by a barroth.

Teknoman

Everyone should designate a GAF meet up server/lobby for each region. That way, you'll have more than enough room to change teams if needed/can still play with whatever randoms happen to be around.

Gahhhh. I screwed up a long cap quest cause I fumbled my controller and opened menus making me slow to tranq. Such stupid bullshit all because of carelessesness.

Glad to have you back monster hunter

Bisnic

Man, that Great Jaggi quest in offline was a bitch. How am I suppose to fight the boss + 6 other jaggis around him? I already had to dodge a lot like 75% of the time, attack a few times, use a lot of potions, die 1 time, and let the Great Jaggi kill a few of his minions by accident for even hoping to win. :lol

Poyunch

Bisnic said:
Man, that Great Jaggi quest in offline was a bitch. How am I suppose to fight the boss + 6 other jaggis around him? I already had to dodge a lot like 75% of the time, attack a few times, use a lot of potions, die 1 time, and let the Great Jaggi kill a few of his minions by accident for even hoping to win. :lol
Did you play the demo? I haven't played that much do to the fact that I've been busy this week so I don't know the exact details but you shouldn't have to be bothered by Jaggis they're fodder. Just focus on the Great Jaggi.

Teknoman

Bisnic said:

Have to be quick on your feet if its the same as the demo.

Btw anyone know how to use items with your sword drawn? Demo said you could use items while using sword and shield, but I still have to sheath my sword before downing potions/throwing knives.

evangd007

Teknoman said:
Have to be quick on your feet if its the same as the demo.

Btw anyone know how to use items with your sword drawn? Demo said you could use items while using sword and shield, but I still have to sheath my sword before downing potions/throwing knives.

Use the item while blocking, aka hold R press y.

I Push Fat Kids said:
As a first-time MH player should how long should I stay offline?
Was that you in the chat as AgentYorkMorgan the other day? Anyways, it's up to you if you feel comfortable on your own already you should be fine in a group.

Bisnic

PounchEnvy said:
Did you play the demo? I haven't played that much do to the fact that I've been busy this week so I don't know the exact details but you shouldn't have to be bothered by Jaggis they're fodder. Just focus on the Great Jaggi.

Easy to say, "focus on the great jaggi" when you have 6 other jaggis attacking from every sides. :lol Like i said, dodging all the time, but still getting hit because a two hand sword is so damn slow i keep getting hit between each attacks i do. Maybe, i should go with a Sword + Shield for quicker attacks & reactions.

Top Bottom