• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

thefro

Have a couple more 1-star quests to polish off... had to do the fishing one twice because I didn't have the hang of the mechanics.

Tenbatsu

For those having difficulty capturing a monster, equip the skill 'Perception'.

MEETING VENUE
Guys you all want VALOR 1 (30-40) or WISDOM 1 (30-40) as the Neogaf meeting street? Come on we need to decide this right here right now.

Valor (2) - Tenbatsu, Tremis
Wisdom (3) - D-Pad, d0c_zaius, kafka rock opera

Btw is Wisdom a beginner server? I cant remember. Cause if it is, we got to switch again if we hit a certain HR rank. I choose Valor cause its a FREE server for all HR ranks.

gotee12

Tenbatsu said:

MEETING VENUE
Guys you all want VALOR 1 (30-40) or WISDOM 1 (30-40) as the Neogaf meeting street? Come on we need to decide this right here right now.

Valor (1) - Tremis
Wisdom (0)
Noob time. When you say "equip a skill", you're referring to attaching a decoration with that skill, correct?

d0c_zaius

Tenbatsu said:

MEETING VENUE

Valor (1) - Tremis
Wisdom (0)

my vote is for wisdom 1 gate 40, nice and quiet

Ill be online soon for gaf group attempt #4! anyone need help or want to get to 2 star quests hit me up!

Tenbatsu

gotee12 said:
Noob time. When you say "equip a skill", you're referring to attaching a decoration with that skill, correct?
You can either use decoration (in this case, Perception Jewel/Perception +2/1 slot) or thru armor combination. Look for armor with more slots if you are using decoration if not look for armor that activate the skill.

d0c_zaius

Mofo said:
Quick, completely newb question - how do you equip armor?

2 ways: go into your house, to the chest and select manage equipment or something like that

go to the armor blacksmith, and when he makes you something you can equip it then

No problem, quick question for online play. How long does it take to get to Qurupeco online? I'm thinking about joining some of you guys online but I want to try and make this set too, I haven't started any of the quests online at all and will have to start from scratch.

JKTrix

gunther said:
we just had an awesome hunt with other gaffers. why the day doesnt have more hours.
Fo' real.

As for the vote, I don't have any real preference. I will go where the gamers are.

Tenbatsu

Mr_Guillotine said:
No problem, quick question for online play. How long does it take to get to Qurupeco online? I'm thinking about joining some of you guys online but I want to try and make this set too, I haven't started any of the quests online at all and will have to start from scratch.
You can fight it from the start online. 1 Star quest.

gotee12

Tenbatsu said:
You can either use decoration (in this case, Perception Jewel/Perception +2/1 slot) or thru armor combination. Look for armor with more slots if you are using decoration if not look for armor that activate the skill.
I was under the impression that individual skills tied to armor pieces will only activate if all pieces from that armor set are worn. But instead you gain whatever skill that indiviual armor piece has then. And I guess since most armor pieces within the same set share like skills, that if you equip all of that set, that skill will become stronger/more potent?

If so, I finally understand what you've meant when you talk about the level of customization of armor...

Tenbatsu said:

MEETING VENUE

Valor (2) - Tenbatsu, Tremis
Wisdom (2) - D-Pad, d0c_zaius

Btw is Wisdom a beginner server? I cant remember. Cause if it is, we got to switch again if we hit a certain HR rank. I choose Valor cause its a FREE server for all HR ranks.
Vote for wisdom! we just did a good bit of work there. Downed Jaggi, Quro, And finally an epic battle with Royal Ludroth. WISDOM IS DA GREATEST! And wisdom is under Recruitment so i guess thats open for everyone. Good runs to Brannon, Gunther, and Jktrix? Was a TON of fun.

Tenbatsu

kafka rock opera said:
Vote for wisdom! we just did a good bit of work there. Downed Jaggi, Quro, And finally an epic battle with Royal Ludroth. WISDOM IS DA GREATEST! And wisdom is under Recruitment so i guess thats open for everyone. Good runs to Brannon, Gunther, and Jktrix? Was a TON of fun.
I am at work now, can you help to check what is the HR rank for Recruitment server? HR 1 - ??

Yes you are able to. Try to hook up your old keyboard and type in the Internet channel. If it works it works.
V

sfried

Is there a faster way to chat/type without using the keyboard?

I know it seems like a tempting investment to get one, but I really should spare the cash for that second controller. (Or can I use just any old USB keyboard?)

Tenbatsu said:
I am at work now, can you help to check what is the HR rank for Recruitment server? HR 1 - ??
On it boss.

Recruiting : Hunters in search of hunting companions can gather here. It doesnt list an HR requirement or cap. i think its just a fancy word for open.

d0c_zaius

gotee12 said:
I was under the impression that individual skills tied to armor pieces will only activate if all pieces from that armor set are worn. But instead you gain whatever skill that indiviual armor piece has then. And I guess since most armor pieces within the same set share like skills, that if you equip all of that set, that skill will become stronger/more potent?

If so, I finally understand what you've meant when you talk about the level of customization of armor...

each armor piece has a point value contributing towards the total for the skill you want

I wanted attack up, so I equipped anything I could that had an attack bonus, which first activates at 10, upgrades at 15 and 20. So with all the armor I had, I had 11 pts towards attack, and I added 4 more single point decorations adding to attack to get it up to +15 (attack up medium).

If anyone has a ton of questions and doesnt feel like posting each one, pm me and Ill give you my aim.

and yea I think recruiting server is free to all HRs as well. its more for people open to playing with anyone, like a LFG server.

Mr_Guillotine said:
Alright cool, any gaffers out there hunting right now?
I must be the most invisible poster on this site:lol

Tenbatsu

gotee12 said:
Wait till you all get the CHARMS, it will open up a whole new level of armor customization! Not sure if d0c_zaius knows about charms:/

kafka rock opera said:
On it boss.

Recruiting : Hunters in search of hunting companions can gather here. It doesnt list an HR requirement or cap. i think its just a fancy word for open.
Thanks alot fellow hunter!:D

d0c_zaius

Tenbatsu said:
Wait till you all get the CHARMS, it will open up a whole new level of armor customization! Not sure if d0c_zaius knows about charms:/

Yup thats correct, Im not very familiar. I have a couple but they seem to add points so stuff I dont really want right now (like water resistance).

if anyone wants to add me as a friend, my info:

Character: Trixie
ID:Vl(or1)QXPV

Mr_Guillotine said:
My bad :lol , I thought you were running with that big group.

no worries:D although I had one gaffer friend me, then not join my room or just quest on their own. so if you add me please want to group up lol.

gotee12 said:
Thanx Ten & d0c_zaius!
Glad to help. Hope you are enjoying the game even though its a lot to take in.

d0c_zaius said:
Yup thats correct, Im not very familiar. I have a couple but they seem to add points so stuff I dont really want right now (like water resistance).

if anyone wants to add me as a friend, my info:

Character: Trixie
ID:Vl(or1)QXPV

I might get on right now, how far are you in terms of quests? I don't want to slow you down with shitty fetch quests.:lol

d0c_zaius

Mr_Guillotine said:
I might get on right now, how far are you in terms of quests? I don't want to slow you down with shitty fetch quests.:lol

Haha well Im HR7 (about 300 pts from 8) and have completed most of the 1 star quests. I dont mind helping or whatever, I still need 8 mach ores for that first long sword and Ill get HR points doing any quest.

Keep in mind you dont need to do every quest to get to the next rank once you have enough points.

Google monster hunter wiki, look under MH3 and you should see certain quests marked Key quests. Those have to be done to go to the next set, but not every one has to be completed.

server: recruting
lobby: wisdom 1
Gate 40

d0c_zaius said:
Haha well Im HR7 (about 300 pts from 8) and have completed most of the 1 star quests. I dont mind helping or whatever, I still need 8 mach ores for that first long sword and Ill get HR points doing any quest.

Keep in mind you dont need to do every quest to get to the next rank once you have enough points.

Google monster hunter wiki, look under MH3 and you should see certain quests marked Key quests. Those have to be done to go to the next set, but not every one has to be completed.

Alright cool, well I'll get on and join you once I'm done taking down this Qurupeco. What server are you on?

I'm finally starting to get the hang of the flow of movement with the switchaxe. I still haven't been able to switch to sword mode during a combo though. Maybe I'm just not doing it right? (After a swing hold R) BUT, oh my god, the explosion attack is AMAZING.

d0c_zaius

manofmandango said:
I'm finally starting to get the hang of the flow of movement with the switchaxe. I still haven't been able to switch to sword mode during a combo though. Maybe I'm just not doing it right? (After a swing hold R) BUT, oh my god, the explosion attack is AMAZING.

it can only be transformed during a combo after a specific attack: the tiny lunge forward.

how do you do the xplosion attack? I saw someone do it and went wtf

Tenbatsu

manofmandango said:
Only the forward thrust axe attack enables you to switch to Sword mode during combo. To switch back, its the side slash in sword mode.

d0c_zaius said:
how do you do the xplosion attack? I saw someone do it and went wtf
Press + to activate and keep on pressing to explode on CC1.

Tenbatsu said:
Only the forward thrust axe attack enables you to switch to Sword mode during combo. To switch back, its the side slash in sword mode.

Press + to activate and keep on pressing to explode on CC1.
Awesome. I'm sure it'll take some practice.

D-Pad

Just finished my first capture quest. I was easier than I thought; I got it on the first try with plenty of time to spare. If I had known I'd have done the sub-quests...

Edit - Right into a horrible
protection
quest. There aren't alot of these, right? Almost didn't make that one. :<

Effect

Finally got my copy. Didn't get far as I just got in and only played a little and to late. Just visited the camp for the first time. Is there a way to rename the pig at the farm if you messed up? I don't have the option anymore. Or would one have to restart the character?

I think I'm going have to site a bit closer to the TV on this one. Text is a bit on the small side compared to other Wii games I think. Did log into the online part real quick though just to see what the other hub world looked like. Does it open up once you create a city for a group or is it the same as the place you initially are placed in?

Poyunch

So I need some King Frills. How do I get them? I know you have to shatter the Great Jaggi's frill but what does that mean? I know that if you attack the Great Jaggi enough its frill does get damaged but is that it?

Is the rest just luck or do I have to keep hitting it some more until it gets even more damaged?

DragonGirl said:
Hello everybody! This is Amber from N-Sider. Back when Endless Ocean: Blue World released the staff at N-Sider ran a special character journal for the game. Now for the release of Monster Hunter Tri I'll be doing the same thing, with one difference. So far, I'm the only N-Sider who's getting the game at this time (yeah, I don't know what's wrong with everybody else either), which means I need some volunteers to join me online.

I'm pushing the first online meet up to Friday, April 23 with the first journal post going up on Monday. Online meet ups will take place every other evening for two weeks.

If you're interested in joining me online, here's what you need to know:

Wii Speak mandatory - I'll be covering how well the communication works in my review so I will need everybody participating to have this accessory.

Meet up times (Region is North America) - April 23 at 6:30 CST, April 26 at 6:30 CST, April 28 at 6:30 CST, April 30 at 6:30 CST, May 3 at 6:30 CST, May 5 at 6:30 CST. The final journal entry will be followed by my review for the game. This schedule is not yet set in stone, I will post any changes ASAP.

What 's a Character Journal?
- Basically I've created a character and the journal entries I write will be from her perspective as a person living in the world of Monster Hunter rather than as a gamer player it.

To join me - Send me a private message if you are interested. I'm going to limit the number of people to around 8. Tell me what days you'll be available so I can coordinate this thing. Also, I encourage participants to also create a character and tell me about her/his motivation and background. Be Brief! Just give me enough info that I can run with for my journal entry. All characters I play with will be mentioned. Again, the key words here are Brief Description!

I will post more relevant details after I actually get the game, and by all means, if you have questions for me, ask them in the thread and I'll answer.

This should be a lot of fun and I look forward to taking this game for a serious spin.

~Update~

To give people more time to get their hands on the game, and to give me time to figure out the online, my first official online hunt will start on Monday 26. The new schedule looks like this:

April 26 at 6:30 CST, April 28 at 6:30 CST, April 30 at 6:30 CST, May 3 at 6:30 CST, May 5 at 6:30 CST, May 7 at 6:30 CST

Name: Khory
ID: GG2BAB
Region: US
Open Server Sincerity 1
City Gate 8

And now for something a little less official.

Would anyone planning on hunting this weekend have pity on me, let me join you so I can figure out how the online really works? I'm afraid I'm finding it a little obtuse. For example, how do you invite specific people to your hunting party?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cool, but have we decided on Wisdom 1 as the "official" GAF hangout?

Amir0x said:
Aw shit yeah my copy arrived

My first Wii game since January, and it's a doozy. Been waiting for this game for what seems like fucking centuries.

WE MUST BRING MORE SOULS. I mean um, beasts.

Funky Functionality said:
I think I'm going to jump on this after watching the giant bomb quick look.

Dude. You can be Switch Axe Cop.

D-Pad said:
Wiimote + Nunchuk controls beautifully, thank you very much. :p Haven't tried the CC controls and I feel no need to.

It's funny cause of your name.

Nicktals said:
I wish the verticle camera were analog. I don't like how it "clicks" into different vertical orientations. Often, when I'm trying to move the camera left and right, i move it slightly too far up, or down, and then the radical change in angle can fuck me up. But I'll get better at that as my fingers adjust to everything they have to do for the game.

But is there a reason why they couldn't just make it smoothly change for up/down, like it does for left/right?

The most frustrating thing about this is how when you hop in the water, all of a sudden you have perfect analog aiming controls. I'm sure I'll get used to it over time, though.

Stupid work shift. I slept like 70% of the day. Gonna hunt for an hour now before I go back in at 2. I think I'll try and grab the Hunter gunner armor. I gotta remember to post my online stuff in that other thread, too. Thanks for maintaining it :D

RoboManus

Neo Member
PounchEnvy said:
So I need some King Frills. How do I get them? I know you have to shatter the Great Jaggi's frill but what does that mean? I know that if you attack the Great Jaggi enough its frill does get damaged but is that it?

Is the rest just luck or do I have to keep hitting it some more until it gets even more damaged?

I got one from the quest where I had to capture him, but I hear you can also get it by smashing his head enough or something like that. you can try doing the quest to hunt him and do the side quests before killing him

Top Bottom