• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Drame

Finally got my copy!

Whats the word on the street: is it safe to play online off the HDD or should I just use geckos to bypass the updates?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Drame said:
Finally got my copy!

Whats the word on the street: is it safe to play online off the HDD or should I just use geckos to bypass the updates?

There's some discussion here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20923083#post20923083

While I certainly haven't done anything significant online yet, I haven't found any cause for concern yet. You can bet I'll be posting and get a bit irked if I'm banned :lol The fact that you can do this is the only way to play a game I bought a new controller and AV equipment for on my own Wii. :p

Edit: oh penny arcade:

Tycho said:
Many, many years ago, while we were still doing a sporadic feature called Land of the Rising Fun, we imported a game called Monster Hunter for the Playstation 2. We appreciated that the game didn't equivocate. To compare, consider Braid. What is Braid about? What will you in Braid? If you said "manipulating hair," you'd be wrong. With Monster Hunter it's like, if you're a monster, watch the fuck out.

We couldn't make heads or tails of it. Because we were importing so much in those days we found that a surprising amount of the software released in Japan, much of which never leaves, to be perfectly playable by an English speaker. This was either because there wasn't much to read, or what there was to read wasn't important, or because it was already completely translated into English (for some reason). None of these were true for Monster Hunter, whose crawling nightmare language locked its flagella together, forming a living barrier to our understanding.

We did find some meat, once; we declared that the victory condition, and called it good.

Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii represents the most recent expedition of a series we know next to nothing about, other than the fact that the series is crazy famous in Japan, which doesn't mean a whole lot. They have a kind of Pepsi there which has a cucumber taste, does that show good judgment? But not having been exposed to Monster Hunter previously meant that this version - refined for years, on multiple platforms - is an organism against which I have no natural defenses. It's all fangs, and claws, and the rhythmic pumping of black venom.

(CW)TB out.

satori

Ok I really forgot how addicting this game is. I finally pop the disc in since I am done with projects for my graduated studies...and that was at around 6pm, I look up and it is now 3am. Holy crap where have the time gone? For the past few hours I been messing around with weapons. In the past I was an avid Hammer, Bow, and GS user. But now I have fell in love with the Lance. Man o man that new counter attack move is so awesome! Wish they had bow though.

I have not even jumped on line yet. Cant wait to play with some Gaffers. I need to run out and get a mic. Do you guys require a mic? Or we all just jump on and since we all zen masters we can just speak with our minds? :p

I've been playing for a few days now, and played online yesterday (EU servers). It's finally starting to be pretty awesome, even though me and my friend really suck and are getting our asses handed to us by even the smallest "boss" creatures. Oh well.

We both have Wii Speak, and HOLY SHIT this thing sucks ass from a straw. I can't believe how utterly terrible the quality is on this microphone. We ended up talking through Xbox Live instead.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
satori said:
I have not even jumped on line yet. Cant wait to play with some Gaffers. I need to run out and get a mic. Do you guys require a mic? Or we all just jump on and since we all zen masters we can just speak with our minds? :p

USB keyboard zen all the way

Drame

Hawkian said:
There's some discussion here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20923083#post20923083

While I certainly haven't done anything significant online yet, I haven't found any cause for concern yet. You can bet I'll be posting and get a bit irked if I'm banned :lol The fact that you can do this is the only way to play a game I bought a new controller and AV equipment for on my own Wii. :p
Seems that I'll be playing offline from the HDD and use geckos when playing online.

Poor guy named Chris. Was hunting a Qurupeco with 3 guys, Chris died, I hit the Qurupeco once more and it died. Poor Chris couldn't carve it xD And it was a pretty long fight too, we al had noob gear and Quru summoned a Royal Ludroth ;_ ;

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Drame said:
Seems that I'll be playing offline from the HDD and use geckos when playing online.

What are these geckos?

My Wii to VGA av cable should come tomorrow so I can play it on my monitor. Not optimistic about how it's gonna look. :lol I am loving this Amazon Prime trial. Sucks that I couldn't use my $10 videogame credit toward this cable though. What else I am gonna use it for? :p

aechris

Saya said:
Where can I find crystallized bones? I killed Dexels and Jaggias but they don't drop it seems (or am I just unlucky) and I haven't been able to find any in bone piles on the ground.

You have to mine them.

Drame

Hawkian said:
What are these geckos?

My Wii to VGA av cable should come tomorrow so I can play it on my monitor. Not optimistic about how it's gonna look. :lol I am loving this Amazon Prime trial. Sucks that I couldn't use my $10 videogame credit toward this cable though. What else I am gonna use it for? :p
Geckos OS is used to play games from another regions. Also, with geckos you can bypass updates which are needed to play the game.

Grampasso

-6 hours to get it for me @_@
I really hope I can launch the ISO from my external HD, or all the time spent to load all my games on the HD will be wasted ç_ç

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Grampasso said:
-6 hours to get it for me @_@
I really hope I can launch the ISO from my external HD, or all the time spent to load all my games on the HD will be wasted ç_ç

The game runs from a USB, yes. Just make sure you're using Hermes' IOS222 merged with (I think) 37.

DataBot

kinggroin said:
Great Jaggi.... I... I... just can't beat him : (

Update your armor train your dodging always, train dodge even with jaggi and jaggia than try him again.
Dodging is the most important part in fights try also this setup sword and shield and auto blocking gem (good for getting in).

peakish

Damn, doesn't seem like my copy will arrive today, I was really looking forward to spending some time with it during the weekend :/

gotee12

ravien56 said:
I fucking hate Quiro. I can beat his ass in 10 minutes but he just calls other mobs. Like a Ludroth.
Have you tried...
focusing on his beak? If you break his beak, he can no longer call for help or heal.
You very well may already know this, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Haunted

Is the Long Sword a separate weapon class? I'm not seeing it at the blacksmith's.

I'm still testing out all the weapons to see with which I'll stick. SnS were a good starter's weapon, but they're simply too weak against boss monsters. I like the Lance, but it's a bit too slow. Didn't like the Hammer too much... and the Bowgun is not really enjoyable when soloing. So the clear winner so far is the Switch Axe - just an awesome weapon.

Maining it for now, but I want to try a (good) GS and LS soon. Just killed my first Qurupeco. :D

jrricky

Banned
jrricky said:
I was gonna boot this baby up, but I am feeling exhausted for today after a whole day of work then coming from the gym. Im gonna take a nice bath, a 4 hour nap and get back into hunting refreshed.
My body failed me and I ended up sleeping for 10 hours :/

Haunted said:
Is the Long Sword a separate weapon class? I'm not seeing it at the blacksmith's.

I'm still testing out all the weapons to see with which I'll stick. SnS were a good starter's weapon, but they're simply too weak against boss monsters. I like the Lance, but it's a bit too slow. Didn't like the Hammer too much... and the Bowgun is not really enjoyable when soloing. So the clear winner so far is the Switch Axe - just an awesome weapon.

Maining it for now, but I want to try a (good) GS and LS soon. Just killed my first Qurupeco. :D
Yes it is, both long swords and switchaxes are not available in the singleplayer mode until later in the game though.

Hawkian said:
Muahahahah yes it is.
Which weight class are you using? Do you find light preferable for mobility or heavy for the extra damage?

JudgeN

ROFL fuck you Capcom, putting Lagiacrus in a 1* gather quest, just like you did Tigrex in PSP version :lol

But I got to ask, is it possible to kill Lagiacrus in the 1* quest if your good?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
manofmandango said:
Which weight class are you using? Do you find light preferable for mobility or heavy for the extra damage?

Light, absolutely. It's much better suited to my playstyle and I think the fast reload and low recoil are very important considering how tricky aiming can be. I roll around a ton and I'm getting used to the sidestep which also seems useful.

It should be noted though that there are also Medium Bowguns, and I'll probably switch to one of the lighter ones of those when I get the chance.

DataBot

Haunted said:

Kill Gobul in 2 star missions it should show up than.

Valcrist

ok, just finished off Lagiacrus. I'm glad I don't have work for a week because this is already eating my time away. I've had a much easier time with this than Freedom 2.

Lance has been easy mode so far. Block and poke, and don't get greedy. I think I'll move on to the SA or Bowgun next. Whatever I find more interesting I guess. I do feel like SA charge attack is pretty badass.

I'm a little hesitant to try online until I finish up the offline quests, but will be doing so soon.

Tenbatsu

JudgeN said:
ROFL fuck you Capcom, putting Lagiacrus in a 1* gather quest, just like you did Tigrex in PSP version :lol

But I got to ask, is it possible to kill Lagiacrus in the 1* quest if your good?
Depends on what weapon is in your possession lol.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hawkian said:
Light, absolutely. It's much better suited to my playstyle and I think the fast reload and low recoil are very important considering how tricky aiming can be. I roll around a ton and I'm getting used to the sidestep which also seems useful.

It should be noted though that there are also Medium Bowguns, and I'll probably switch to one of the lighter ones of those when I get the chance.

Yeah, I made a great Medium Bowgun that has great mobility and packs quite a punch for it's size. Love the new bowgun system.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I finally captured the Great Jaggi with ease :D

Time to start playing online this weekend. Did we settle on a GAF server yet?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Seraphis Cain said:
Yeah, I made a great Medium Bowgun that has great mobility and packs quite a punch for it's size. Love the new bowgun system.

Do tell! What parts?

Also, am I understanding the system right that your gun isn't "locked" when you put the three parts together? You can just keep mixing and matching whenever you want?

EDIT: I think we're chillaxing in Wisdom 1.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hawkian said:
Do tell! What parts?

Also, am I understanding the system right that your gun isn't "locked" when you put the three parts together? You can just keep mixing and matching whenever you want?

Just the Jaggid Fire frame with the base Medium Bowgun barrel and stock. But the barrel and frame are upgraded to Lv. 3. 180 attack with the same mobility as a Light Bowgun.

ravien56

gotee12 said:
Have you tried...
focusing on his beak? If you break his beak, he can no longer call for help or heal.
You very well may already know this, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
No I didn't but I think I did break his beak at one point because I got it in the rewards.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Seraphis Cain said:
Just the Jaggid Fire frame with the base Medium Bowgun barrel and stock. But the barrel and frame are upgraded to Lv. 3. 180 attack with the same mobility as a Light Bowgun.

Whoa, that's awesome. Do you know what it rapid fires?

Luigiv

JudgeN said:
This was obvious. It's a tradition for MH games (in MH/MHG/MHF it was Rathalos, not sure about MH2 though).

ravien56

JudgeN said:

Yea that made me :D
I remember seeing that tigrex and being all cocky and shit, oh you're going down motherfucker. That tigrex fucking raped me.

Hawkian said:
Never use pellets in multiplayer, got it :lol
Which is actually very sad because this ammo is incredible awesome, I always get 60 (max) before I go to solo quests!

BOWGUN > ALL OTHER SETS!

:D

And Bnahabara's set is so... so... <3

I don't think I'll change clothes for a looong time, lol.

Top Bottom