• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Nicktals

Banned
Hawkian said:
EDIT: Pro-tip: apparently equipping a new weapon puts your entire inventory into a seperate pouch. Definitely go to your home and take out the stuff you want. I got very hungry after discovering I had no way to cook meat out on that quest.

Wait...So there's a different pouch for each weapon you have used?

I started with the lance then switched to the GS...so if I switch back to the lance I'll still have stuff in my pouch for that weapon?

Ridley327

With any luck, my local Best Buy should have an Endless Ocean Wii Speak bundle in stock, so I should be voice-chat enabled before the weekend here. I only just unlocked the 2-star missions, but I want to dip my toes into the online waters soon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nicktals said:
Wait...So there's a different pouch for each weapon you have used?

I started with the lance then switched to the GS...so if I switch back to the lance I'll still have stuff in my pouch for that weapon?

I hadn't considered that but on further ponderance yeah, I bet that's exactly how it works.

sammy

got online for the first time last night with an armor set and tore up some missions with Oracrest! this game delivers, I've been soooooo hyped.

gotta' figure out a beast to farm for an armor set.

Hawkian said:
I hadn't considered that but on further ponderance yeah, I bet that's exactly how it works.
I THINK that the 2 pouches are for Gunner and Blademaster so not split between every weapon, i could be wrong though. Did we ever settle on a server/city/gate choice yet? I went ahead and grabbed a switch axe while i was online last night. SO GOOD!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
kafka rock opera said:
I THINK that the 2 pouches are for Gunner and Blademaster so not split between every weapon, i could be wrong though. Did we ever settle on a server/city/gate choice yet? I went ahead and grabbed a switch axe while i was online last night. SO GOOD!

Ooh, that makes sense.

Switch Axe is really the only weapon besides the guns that interests me, I might have to check that out sometime.

Gino

Giantbomb quick look is up. They do a pretty good job showing the game but there are a couple mistakes in there where they just don't know what they are supposed to be doing.

D-Pad

Got the game today, going onto my third or so hour right now. I definately made the right choice purchasing this. Just learned how to combine a herb and a blue mushroom to make a potion. Going back into the woods now to find some more herbs. :D

joelseph

D-Pad said:
Got the game today, going onto my third or so hour right now. I definately made the right choice purchasing this. Just learned how to combine a herb and a blue mushroom to make a potion. Going back into the woods now to find some more herbs. :D

And then combine those potions with honey to make bigger potions!

RobbieNick

I like how this version of the game eases you into learning everything. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite was my first MH game, and it just kind of threw me in without a lot of explanation. This is the perfect MH game for newcomers.

D-Pad

joelseph said:
And then combine those potions with honey to make bigger potions!
Thank you! :D

Okay, so I'm on a quest where I have to gather 3 monster guts from underwater. Thing is, that huge legendary water monster is blocking the way now (I had to run from it twice). How do I finish the quest? Work around it?

Edit- That was scary. It almost ripped me in half. :D So awesome. Had to run between screens trying to harvest the guts before it spotted me again.

Got into a 4-Man Qurupeco hunt.

Still at HR 1 with the other three guys a little better geared than me and man, what fun.

The qurupeco summoned a great Jaggi and it was a completely awesome cluster-fuck.

Man...this game is soooooo good.

gotee12

RobbieNick said:
How far should I be in the single player game before taking on online hunts?
My litmus test is whether or not I'm capable of easily completing the same quest in offline. For example, I'm not going to join with with others to take down a Great Baggi online until I'm competent enough to complete that same type of monster hunt offline. Since everyone has to pony up a few zenny online to take a quest, I don't want to be "that guy" that causes the quest to fail and lose everyone's cash!

But that's just me...

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
RobbieNick said:
How far should I be in the single player game before taking on online hunts?
Once I learn to capture monsters I will start playing online.

Hiltz

Yeah! Took on the Great Jaggi for a second try and beat em down good. I also took down another one. He's so much easier to fight against when you don't have to worry about being swarmed by the packs of Jaggai and Jaggi that are usually around him. Found that they usually don't follow the Great Jaggi if you simply lead him away into a different area.

Finished the level 2 Delex (those flying sand fish-like monsters) and that level 1 red coral collection quests.

Anyone know where to get a firefly item ? I need one more to combine with a snakebee item to form bait to catch fish for that lvl 1 quest.

Also, anyone know how to use the barrel bomb ? I got the big one but I haven't figured out how to safely trigger it to explode. The Great Jaggi even rammed into it and it didn't go off. However, I smacked the barrel with my weapon and it exploded on the great jaggi along with me. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Aw shit yeah my copy arrived

My first Wii game since January, and it's a doozy. Been waiting for this game for what seems like fucking centuries.

Hiltz

oracrest said:
question:

I do the quest to deliver 10 monster guts online. We deliver ten. The timer still runs out, quest fails, what gives?

Did you deliver the monster gut items by going back to the hunter's base camp where that wooden red box is at ? Did you make sure that you hunted the right monster ?

ShinNL

I'm so sad, I'll be extremely late to the party T___T
Things just aren't working out for me and I have to play a stupid waiting game because of shitty companies...
I think my PC recording cables (for YouTube and Justin.tv) are gonna arrive before the game at this rate..........

In the meantime I'm still managing our online match up thread, so don't forget to share your Hunter ID there.

GAF Community and Online Match-Up Thread

I'm making a tool which will help connect us all very conveniently*. GAF exclusive and that thread will be the only way to add yourself to the list :)

* Probably done in the weekend

gotee12

Hiltz said:
Anyone know where to get a firefly item ? I need one more to combine with a snakebee item to form bait to catch fish for that lvl 1 quest.
If you're referring to the fishing quest to catch goldenfish you can either...

dig for worms in a spot that looks like a bone just to the right of the entrance of quadrant 10. Caught all of my goldenfish/small goldenfish just using the worms.
or
equip a bugnet and catch bugs wherever you see the glowing bugs floating around. Eventually you should catch a firefly.

ShinNL

Teknoman said:
You're going to be recording hunts then? Anyone doing this on the NA side of things?
Most hunts aren't that interesting to watch so I usually make compilations for YouTube. But now that Justin.tv exists I can occasionally stream regular hunts (both offline and online). I won't do it all the time though, since the capture thingy is composite and I prefer playing with component :3

Hiltz

Funky Functionality said:
I think I'm going to jump on this after watching the giant bomb quick look.

Same here man... first Wii game since January.

...of 2009.

Why ? :lol

2009 had some good Wii titles. There was Excitebots, Punch-Out!!, Boom Blox 2, Muramasa, MadWorld, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Dead Space: Extraction, RE: Dark Side Chronicles, Wii Sports Resort, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10, My Life As a King, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

gotee12 said:
If you're referring to the fishing quest to catch goldenfish you can either...

dig for worms in a spot that looks like a bone just to the right of the entrance of quadrant 10. Caught all of my goldenfish/small goldenfish just using the worms.
or
equip a bugnet and catch bugs wherever you see the glowing bugs floating around. Eventually you should catch a firefly.

Yes, it's for that quest you mentioned. Thanks for the help !

pvpness

Sooo good. Haven't had any troubles online or off and me and my kid have been rockin the arena in our down time. Nice way to grind cash. hah. Gonna have to try the usb keyboard thing (had no idea I could), though the wiispeak has been flawless for me. I'm surprised at how quickly I connect online and the fact that I haven't run into lag at all yet. Glad they made it easy to join with buddies.

SYNTAX182

Hiltz said:
Why ? :lol
2009 had some good Wii titles. There was Excitebots, Punch-Out!!, Boom Blox 2, Muramasa, MadWorld, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Dead Space: Extraction, RE: Dark Side Chronicles, Wii Sports Resort, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10, My Life As a King, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Liar! Good games don't exist on Wii.

j/k Monster Hunter Tri rocks!

After finishing all the 3 star quests i can official say this game is officially in full swing. That fucking egg quest ugh. Really enjoying just going around and farming my necessary materials for everything. The armor stuff is kinda confusing but im getting it i think. Switch axe is now my main weapon because its got some great combos for wailing away on the boss at and hordes of little minions. Lastly here is a shot of my ridiculous hunter.

001.jpg

I just beat my first boss monster! Great Jaggi! I feel so proud!

I've decided that sword and shield, while agile and useful for most normal quests and monster hunting, is not very effective against large boss monsters. So I've decided to start grinding on the great Jaggi quest I just beat until I have of his materials for a badass great sword upgrade.

Speaking of weapons, when can I start making stuff like switch axes and long swords? I wanna try them out, but I can't get them yet.

SYNTAX182

autobzooty said:
Speaking of weapons, when can I start making stuff like switch axes and long swords? I wanna try them out, but I can't get them yet.

Go Online. At the city workshop, the blacksmith will create a Switch-Axe for you.

just picked up the game earlier today and finished the first real offline quest. Game seems fun! Gonna take some learning, for sure.

Any other newbs wanna play i'll be on later tonight. Name = MarkLar

D-Pad

alske said:
I can't imagine the game controls well without it... I didn't even bother to try.

Wiimote + Nunchuk controls beautifully, thank you very much. :p Haven't tried the CC controls and I feel no need to.

Eteric Rice said:
How do you capture monsters in his game? Anyone know?
Once you have made the monster limp away he is available for capture. Just set a trap and hit it with 2-3 tranq bombs and shazam. Captured.

And yeah im totally down for Wisdom 1 being our spot. Spread the word!

JKTrix

sonicspear64 said:
EDIT: Random thought, but I like what Capcom is doing with the full-color print for Wii disc art. Are any other developers/publishers doing this?

t89n4y.jpg

If it was one of Capcom's goals to have 3 games constantly on the front page of GAF for more than a day, then they succeeded.

grendelrt

So WII Speak setup, anyone else having any issues?? I keep getting 2 faces out of 5 and it says it is not functioning properly. If I got into chat mode I can tell it is picking up my voice fine. I tried turning the sound to stereo moving it to the bottom and top of the TV. No matter what I do i get 2 faces, looks like 3 faces is passing. Any tips other than the ones nintendo put in the setup??

I am running a 5.1 system if that helps as well. Have tried stereo, surround, etc.

JKTrix said:
If it was one of Capcom's goals to have 3 games constantly on the front page of GAF for more than a day, then they succeeded.
Yeah I got TvC so I thought this was just a Capcom thing. Pleasantly surprised with Shiren though. :)

oracrest

Hiltz said:
Did you deliver the monster gut items by going back to the hunter's base camp where that wooden red box is at ? Did you make sure that you hunted the right monster ?

yeah, I was playing with a friends. He delivered 7, and I delivered 3, and the main quest said "complete." The mission didn't end there though, it kept going, and when the timer runs out, it fails the quest. We are fighting the things in the water that give you the monster guts.

fernoca

Aren't all Wii games, since August last year being getting full color discs??...though I've only seen Nintendo-made ones (Wii Fit Plus, Metroid Prime trilogy..)..and Tri now ...

Disappointed at the black and white booklet of Tri..but no biggie.

Top Bottom