• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Just out of curiosity, how is the learning curve in this game?

I got the demo and was in way over my head. I had no idea MH games were so complex.

Does the game have a decent tutorial that will help ease me into all of it?

BertramCooper said:
Just out of curiosity, how is the learning curve in this game?

I got the demo and was in way over my head. I had no idea MH games were so complex.

Does the game have a decent tutorial that will help ease me into all of it?
Yes. From what I understand it has the best tutorial of any monster hunter.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The tutorial phase is pretty gentle. The menu organization, especially for stuff such as crafting and improvement is dense and could be a lot cleaner. But the full game does walk you through each major step and doesn't push multiple concepts on you at once.

At most, there could be a bit more of a quick start guide on /why/ you want to craft certain kinds of items, weapons, and so forth.

Gwanatu T

manofmandango said:
Yes. From what I understand it has the best tutorial of any monster hunter.

There really wasn't much of any kind of tutorial in previous MH games, honestly. This one really does a good job of showing you how to play the game and giving plenty of instruction and ease in to the whole thing.

forrest

formerly nacire
kafka rock opera said:
Yep i believe we have settled on Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40 There probably isnt anyone on right now but i expect tonight to have a good amount of people :D(myself included)

I'm confused. Where is this server? What programs do you use to chat on this server?

Lyonaz

Just want to say that the Bowgun ROCKS!!!

OMG I love that thing. It's like a shotgun and sniper in one big awesome package.
I don't care if it's hard to master, I'll pwn every monster out there with a bowgun.:D
Why isn't Lost Planet 2 more like this? Shoot big ass bugs and carve gear out of them. :(

Also my first time playing Monster Hunter seriously. Only played the first one on the PSP, but never played it more than 10 hours I think.

Loving the game sofar, too bad it looks horrible on my HDtv. Do component cables improve the image-quality? It's looks blurry and the text are kinda hard to read.

Ridley327

I would definitely suggest getting component cables for your HDTV if you're going to be playing the game for a bit. It has abnormally small text for a Wii game, which I can imagine is a nightmare in some situations.

joelseph

Kaijima said:
At most, there could be a bit more of a quick start guide on /why/ you want to craft certain kinds of items, weapons, and so forth.

This is what I am struggling with. Is there an online guide out there or youtube link or anything?

kafka rock opera said:
The way ive been doing it is to weaken the boss untill it limps away. Then follow it into the next area hit him a couple times just to make sure he is weak while you wait for hte perfect time to set the trap and tranq him.

Normally when limping the next place they will head to (well most of the time) is a section where they can rest. Just wait a bit before going into the area and it should be sleeping, set your trap, hit it to wake it up (supposedly triple damage if you hit a sleeping monster), it springs your trap, tranq bomb, your done.

joelseph said:
This is what I am struggling with. Is there an online guide out there or youtube link or anything?

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_3

check that out and see.

Lyonaz

Ridley327 said:
I would definitely suggest getting component cables for your HDTV if you're going to be playing the game for a bit. It has abnormally small text for a Wii game, which I can imagine is a nightmare in some situations.

Guess I'll buy them then. I think I will play this game for quite some time.:D

Gwanatu T

I've honestly got to ask, how many of those of you that play the Wii on an HDTV have the component cables? I would have thought everyone would have them to be completely honest. I can't imagine trying to play anything through composite cables on an HDTV.

joelseph

Even with the component cables and 480p wide the game looks really really bad on my westinghouse 1080p. Like the text is almost unreadable. Would I have better luck playing it on a 720p screen?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
joelseph said:
Even with the component cables and 480p wide the game looks really really bad on my westinghouse 1080p. Like the text is almost unreadable. Would I have better luck playing it on a 720p screen?
It looks also kinda dirty and Blurry on my Samsung 44in CRT. So, i guess not.

Ridley327

joelseph said:

Probably? I'm playing on a DLP at 720p and I'm not having many issues with being able to read text in either offline or online. My set does a pretty good job of upscaling, though, so that might be a factor in readability on a larger set/higher default res.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lyonaz said:
Just want to say that the Bowgun ROCKS!!!

OMG I love that thing. It's like a shotgun and sniper in one big awesome package.
I don't care if it's hard to master, I'll pwn every monster out there with a bowgun.:D
Why isn't Lost Planet 2 more like this? Shoot big ass bugs and carve gear out of them. :(

right there with ya big guy

Drame

Yup! It's Monster Hunter for sure!

Just took a quick glance at the clock and the old mmo memories crumbled back. I had been playing for 8 hours without even noticing the flow of the time! :lol

Man, now I'm hungry! Good thing that I have some raw... I mean bacon in the fridge. I sure hope that I won't burn it.

Lyonaz

Gwanatu T said:
I've honestly got to ask, how many of those of you that play the Wii on an HDTV have the component cables? I would have thought everyone would have them to be completely honest. I can't imagine trying to play anything through composite cables on an HDTV.

I think lots of people are playing wii on HDTV without component cables.:lol I never even thought about those cables for the Wii.
With the PS3 I knew I needed HDMI-cables for HDTVs. That was like common knowledge. When I bought the Wii, nobody said anything about component cables for HDTVs.:lol

This game is amazing. My first Monster Hunter game!

Quick q:

When is a good time to jump onto some online games? Should I get all the way through the "tutorial phase" of the single player game first, you think?

This game is amazing. My first Monster Hunter game!

Quick q:

When is a good time to jump onto some online games? Should I get all the way through the "tutorial phase" of the single player game first, you think?
Past Qurupeco sounds like a good time, but if you are going to play with friends and use some kind of communication you have a chance right after the tutorial phase.

Otherwise, you'd better learn some "rules", like not hit the fucking monster when it's asleep. I mean, even Chacha knows this. ¬¬

Owzers

Hmmm i dunno so far:

The game looks horrible on my tv, very muddy/blurry. I can read the text though.

Item system is weird.

I have no idea what i'm doing on most quests. Deliver 3 Monster Guts....well great i have no idea what drops monster guts really. Can't catch a goldfish because all the other fish keep eating my bait before it does. Went online and did a couple quests really easy quests until we died to the first actual challenge.

Hawkian said:
???

What is up with
the room behind the waterfall in the farm
?
I hear it's
story related

sillymonkey321 said:
Can't catch a goldfish because all the other fish keep eating my bait before it does. Went online and did a couple quests really easy quests until we died to the first actual challenge.
:lol

JudgeN

sillymonkey321 said:
Hmmm i dunno so far:

The game looks horrible on my tv, very muddy/blurry. I can read the text though.

Item system is weird.

I have no idea what i'm doing on most quests. Deliver 3 Monster Guts....well great i have no idea what drops monster guts really. Can't catch a goldfish because all the other fish keep eating my bait before it does. Went online and did a couple quests really easy quests until we died to the first actual challenge.

Thats monster hunter, no real direction they just throw you in the world and you have to figure it out.

Monster guts come from those nonaggression sea creatures in zone 10, fishing is always been a cluster fuck or at least was on PSP. Throw the line and if you get multiple fish going after you bait let ones you don't want bite the bait and let go, then pull out the correct fish when its his turn (Hope I explained that well enough). Yes the game does look alittle blurry on my HD TV with competent cables too, but its the jangles that kill me :lol

sillymonkey321 said:
Hmmm i dunno so far:

Item system is weird.

The trick to catching goldenfish is
to stock up on their special bait, which you make by combining snakebee larva and fireflies. Those two kids in the village basically tell you this and give you the ingredients. To get more fireflies just bug hunt. Fireflies are a pretty common catch in the cave where the felynes have their shrine and snakebee larva along with honey are gotten from the bee hives.

When you select the goldenfish bait and toss it in the water, all of the other fish swim away and only goldenfish appear.

traveler

Not Wario
Just started the game. This is my first MH. Enjoying it thus far but I've filled up my inventory rather quickly and I'm just wondering what I should sell/put in the box for later/keep as the whole item/weapon/armor-forging stuff seems quite daunting and it's hard to tell from the descriptions whether the Jaggi hide, monster fluid, etc. will be valuable enough later on to not be worth selling now.

Bison11

I like using the Lance. I dont really Like the great sword. I might go buy a Switch Axe and test that baby out. But so far the Lance is my favorite weapon to use.

seipherzero

Neo Member
traveler said:
Just started the game. This is my first MH. Enjoying it thus far but I've filled up my inventory rather quickly and I'm just wondering what I should sell/put in the box for later/keep as the whole item/weapon/armor-forging stuff seems quite daunting and it's hard to tell from the descriptions whether the Jaggi hide, monster fluid, etc. will be valuable enough later on to not be worth selling now.

I personally stick everything in the item box. If your hurting for money later on (you have all the mats but lack money to make what you want), you can start selling off monster parts that you don't need.

You'll learn more about the item system and what's needed to make certain things as you gain more experience with the game. You can make a more educated decision at that point. You can also check out the Monster Hunter wiki that's linked in the OP.

Saying that, it's usually standard to at least have the following (early game):

Blademaster:
Well-done steak (or Raw meat + BBQ Spit if you don't have enough), Potions, Whetstones, Paintballs, Hot/ Cold drink (depending on the environment)

Gunner:
Same as above without the Whetstones. Paintballs can be replaced with paint shots if you want. Normal Shot 2 is probably going to be your standard shot, so bring a stack +mats if you feel they won't be enough. You should bring the appropriate ammo for what you're hunting also (appropriate element for element-weak monsters, pierce shot for "long" monsters, pellet for smaller monsters, etc).

These are the standard, basic things you should bring as a new hunter. When you start getting into armor skills, things can totally change-- but at that point you should be able to better grasp these sorts of things.

Most of this is taken from my experience in MHFU, so it should hopefully apply to MH3.

Insaniac

I find the pellet shots to be invaluable when fighting larger monsters who have a bad habit of summoning a lot of little ones.

Also use the recovery shot in online, your teammates will appreciate it.

Kuraine

Neo Member
Been playing the single-player game when I can post-work since I picked it up on Wednesday. I played a whole lot of MHFU2 on the PSP with folks from work, but I have a feeling I'm going to be getting into this one a whole lot more due to the online play.

I was a little sad at first that hunting horns and bows were both gone (my favorites from FU2), but I have a feeling I'm going to get into the newly revamped bowguns something fierce. They're so much easier to play than PSP for the sheer fact of having that 2nd analog stick. No more awkward left-hand camera+movement shenanigans with thumb and fingers :lol

Definitely looking forward to getting past the tutorial bits and into some meatier hunts + spoils.

Insaniac

DragonGirl said:
I too would like to know this. My search through the instruction manual turned up nothing and I haven't seen anything in game. What am I missing?

Edit: Question answered right before I posted, thanks.

friend must be online when you send the message. Sooo, it makes it kinda cumbersome

Hiltz

Poured in a little more than 13 hours and still the only complaint I have is with the small size of the text dialogue. I play on an HDTV with a component cable by the way. It would be nice if Capcom could release an online update to increase the text size.

Gonna attempt to do the level 2 capture Great Jaggi quest now.

SYNTAX182

Seraphis Cain said:
Got my first Rare 3 weapon! :D Tough Break (Y). Badass Switch Axe. Love it.

How did you get the Rare 3 Switch-Axe? I still have the first one.

But yeah, Switch-Axe FTW. Best weapon ever!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
this may be a stupid question, but...

how do I use a large barrel bomb? I can't get it to explode without attacking it and suiciding :lol

hiro4

I HATE gathering quests.
Even on the psp version you never seem to get what you need.

Is there a trick to the 14 Unique mushrooms? I can't seem to find enough. Just spent 30 minutes without finding one and getting around 30 blue mushrooms which you can't carry.

This is the only thing I hate from the bottom of my heart!

Insaniac said:
I find the pellet shots to be invaluable when fighting larger monsters who have a bad habit of summoning a lot of little ones.

Also use the recovery shot in online, your teammates will appreciate it.
Definitely, try using it at Desert Island's area 5 (iirc) with two Great Jaggis, and a PACK of Jaggis and Jaggias.

TOTAL PWNAGE!1

GaimeGuy said:
this may be a stupid question, but...

how do I use a large barrel bomb? I can't get it to explode without attacking it and suiciding :lol
Time bomb or shoot from afar.

I started playing with a great sword and maaaaan....that was horrible. It felt like I was trying to hit flies with that thing when I was fighting some of the smaller monsters.
Now I think hammer is the way to go. At least at the beginning of the game.
I also peeked at the bowgun, but I already found the stat menu of one such thing to be way too disturbing. :lol

seipherzero

Neo Member
Sammy Samusu said:
Definitely, try using it at Desert Island's area 5 (iirc) with two Great Jaggis, and a PACK of Jaggis and Jaggias.

TOTAL PWNAGE!1

Time bomb or shoot from afar.

Or you can throw a stone at it

edit: beaten

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
DragonGirl said:
The trick to catching goldenfish is
to stock up on their special bait, which you make by combining snakebee larva and fireflies. Those two kids in the village basically tell you this and give you the ingredients. To get more fireflies just bug hunt. Fireflies are a pretty common catch in the cave where the felynes have their shrine and snakebee larva along with honey are gotten from the bee hives.

When you select the goldenfish bait and toss it in the water, all of the other fish swim away and only goldenfish appear.

Thaaank you. The guild really sets you up to fail this quest :lol

Top Bottom