• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Lance Bone Path said:
Paintballs and throwing knives also work. Probably boomerangs, too- I haven't seen any aside from the ones the shaka companion throws, but I presume they're there.

So hey, what weapon do you use?

*sees username*

...oh.

:lol :lol :lol

Bison11

Just went online and bought the Bone Switch-Axe.....ITS AWESOME. Now, time to kill that Great Jaggi

O, and the CC PRO is also really comfortable and awesome.

Question for those of you who have played with both control schemes.

I use Type 1 controls since I'm so used to playing Unite. I haven't had much practice underwater but so far it's been a little frustrating having camera control tied to moving up and down.

Now my cousin just tells me that with Type 2 controls the two Z buttons can control your decent under while you move. Is this true?

I remember tapping the Z buttons while moving with Type 1 controls and not seeing anything happen so I thought they didn't do anything. If it is true that they work that way in Type 2 do they do the same thing in Type 1? It would really help me.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Question for those of you who have played with both control schemes.

I use Type 1 controls since I'm so used to playing Unite. I haven't had much practice underwater but so far it's been a little frustrating having camera control tied to moving up and down.

Now my cousin just tells me that with Type 2 controls the two Z buttons can control your decent under while you move. Is this true?

I remember tapping the Z buttons while moving with Type 1 controls and not seeing anything happen so I thought they didn't do anything. If it is true that they work that way in Type 2 do they do the same thing in Type 1? It would really help me.
I also use the type 1 cc control scheme and have used the Z buttons for going up and down underwater. I don't think those buttons are used anywhere else. Those moves use up stamina, so I generally prefer using the camera to point up or down and then swim.

Barroth down! Died 2 times due to stupidity and eagerness. First boss that has given me any trouble at all. Such. A. RUUUUUUUSH. Ill be getting online later on this evening. Till then back to resupplying from that hunt. Also i REALLY really want the sharpness skill cause FUCK all this clutch sharpening and dodging charges by inches.

Lance Bone Path said:
I also use the type 1 cc control scheme and have used the Z buttons for going up and down underwater. I don't think those buttons are used anywhere else.
While moving? If that's true I'm going to be very happy when I get home.

I thought they only shot you straight up or straight down.

Khezu

So far, the hit boxes on the monsters seem a lot better, nothing anywhere near as bad as plessy, every time I have been hit, I was actually touching a monster. Its a nice improvement, but it also seems to make the game easier now that I don't have to worry about a monsters psychic forcefield.

Also barroth is the most annoying monster so far, especially when he goes into rage mode.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
While moving? If that's true I'm going to be very happy when I get home.

I thought they only shot you straight up or straight down.
I think "shot you straight up or straight down" is a good way to describe it. It's probably not great for fine depth control.

Insaniac said:
can anyone explain to me the ammo chart when looking at bowguns? What do the numbers mean and what should I look for?
If there's no number, then you won't be able to use this particularly ammo.

If your Frame supports 3 Pellet, Barrel 2 Pellet, and Stock 0 Pellet you will be able to load 5 Pellet shots, the amount you're able to bring to the battlefield is the same for everyone, it's not affected by the user's weapon.

Bison11

If I fail a quest 3 times what happens. I see that it says that I have 3 attempts and I want to take on this Great Jaggi but I am nervous for failure.

ashism

Bison11 said:
If I fail a quest 3 times what happens. I see that it says that I have 3 attempts and I want to take on this Great Jaggi but I am nervous for failure.
Isn't the risk of failure the draw to every game since like, pong?

Bison11 said:
You return to the village as a failure. Your inventory will be the same as whatever it was before you were K.O.ed so you get to keep any carves or whatever.

You're free to retry the quest as many times as you like (at least until you go broke and can't afford the quest fee any more).

hiro4

Got the unique mushroom quest! Though I did not get any of the other mushrooms. MH is soo broken sometimes.

Also online is so much tougher then offline compared to MHFU. I didn't expect that.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
gotee12 said:
I didn't either... but I do notice that's a EU box, not the US package that I have...

Yeah, the EU version was distributed by Nintendo, so they linked it to Club Nintendo. In the US I think Capcom handled all that, so no Club Nintendo insert.

Schwabe

Raelson said:
Censoring in European version is so baaad.
You can't even say 'after' because apparently, that's some German swearword.

that is so nostalgic. in monster hunter (PS2), it was the same^^ (and there was no voice chat). just write "a.fter"^^

Wii Speak: not a fan. I was having trouble talking to my friend, he sounded like he was on a walkie-talkie and we ended up using PS3 chatroom. Are we doing it wrong? Anyone else have other Wii Speak experience on this game?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around Long Sword. I can't seem to reliably evade after an attack, I feel like I'm committed to an attack string longer than with the hammer, and it's difficult to tell the difference between registering hits and whiffing. I took to Gunlance and Switch Axe quicker. Hm. I just made a Baggi armor set with the Charge skill, though. Maybe I can figure something out from there.

Is there anyway to Unsheathe -> Charge with the Great Sword on the Wii remote? I'd hate to have to buy a CC Pro just for that. :lol

Edit: Never mind. I figured it out. I read the instruction booklet wrong.

Remfin

I was gonna give you some of my stuff but for some reason the menu option wasn't showing up. Does it only show up when you're at a city gate or something? I know I've seen "Give" before.

Insaniac said:
can anyone explain to me the ammo chart when looking at bowguns? What do the numbers mean and what should I look for?

also how does bowgun weight affect you?

Normally on a bowgun there are certain types of bullets you can fire and the level of the bullets (lv 1 ok damage, lv3 highest damage)

The numbers mean how much bullets that bowgun can hold at a time before you have to reload and it shows for each bullet type and its level. If you see no number it usually means either the bullet itself is not supported or the bullet level is not supported buy the particular bowgun

eg if you have a bowgun with this (supposedly the light bowgun from MH3)

Type Lv1 Lv2 Lv3
Normal S 6 6 3
Pierce S 4 1
Pellet S 3 2 1
Crag S 1

Type Lv1 Lv2
Recover S 3
Poison S 5
Para S 3 2
Sleep S 3
Sub S 1
Demon S 1
Armor S 1
Exhaust S 1

Type
Tranq S 2
Paint S 2

On the extreme left is the bullets it supports, each bullet has a level (except special bullets like the elemental bullets and paint bullet) and how much it will hold in one reload

so for normal bullets it will support Lv 1, LV 2, LV3 bullets and will hold 6,6 and 3 bullets for the respective levels

for pierce it supports level 1 and 2 (no Lv3) with 4 and 1 shot respectively

etc.

also how does bowgun weight affect you?

it determines the type of bowgun you have.

Light bowguns are normally weaker damage but you make up for it with mobility such as running around with it while its armed, time it takes to arm the weapon is fast cuz its light. There is no defense (rolling will help here).

Heavy bowguns does more damage but you lose mobility, slower reload time, weapon arming. It can have a shield that protects you from some attacks and roars and normally supports the really powerful bullets like Crag.

I guess Medium is supposed some middle ground of the two

Ridley327 said:
You gotta mine for them shits.

Translation: bring a pickaxe or two
I was thinking this, but I thought they'd provide a pickaxe if it had to be mined. Fucking assholes! :lol

EDIT: Oh shit it's in the item box! :lol

ShutDown202 said:
So ive been interested in MH but never really looked into the series. I might take the jump with 3 but have to noob questions.

1) For those PSO vets, is the experience you get from tri similar to that of PSO?

2) Can this game be played co-op offline?
1) Yes.
2) Yes, but it's limited to "Arena" battles. You can't play the main game in offline co-op.

dsister44

sonicspear64 said:
I was thinking this, but I thought they'd provide a pickaxe if it had to be mined. Fucking assholes! :lol

EDIT: Oh shit it's in the item box! :lol

thank you sooooooooo much for asking that question lol, gaf should write a guide

Teknoman

MiniBossBattle said:
Wii Speak: not a fan. I was having trouble talking to my friend, he sounded like he was on a walkie-talkie and we ended up using PS3 chatroom. Are we doing it wrong? Anyone else have other Wii Speak experience on this game?

All I can say is try and set up Wii speak using the wiispeak channel to make sure you are coming through clear. Havent gone online yet, but i'll report impressions when I do (tonight).

Top Bottom