• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

forrest

formerly nacire
Damn it! I went out to pick up the Monster Hunter Bundle that comes with the CC Pro and couldn't find it anywhere! Looks like I won't be getting online just yet.

Wow.

All I can say is wow. I finally had about 3 hours to play this earlier today, and it surpassed all my expectations. Still getting used to the combat, but it's nowhere near as flawed as a few outlets have made it out to be... you just have to pick your attacks carefully and know when to evade... simple as that.

The collection aspects/forging/upgrading/mining/gathering/hunting/everything-ing is just fucking awesome.

I am hooked... this is the perfect game for me. I hope I can stick with it for a while... I usually don't have much time to play games anymore, but I'll probably be making time for this one.

tenchir

I completed my jaggi set, my GS is upgraded to Jawbone, and almost completed all the 3* quest. So far I haven't failed any quest, the closest is dying once to Royal Ludroth but he was almost close to death anyway when I went back to him to finish him off with 3 hits. I think I will try to complete the 4 and 5 star quest before I go online. I want to be prepared for online because getting killed by bosses and losing an hour of progress easily makes me rage quit.

What level do you guys recommend I try the online stuff out at? I've played through a few of the level 1 quests in SP and still don't have much of a clue as to what's going on besides doing what the guild lady tells me to. I had never considered trying this series in the past, but for some reason I was interested in trying this one and I don't regret my decision at all. Pretty awesome game.

selig

Banned
wow...

I feel awesome right now. speechless. So I started an online mission with another guy, killing a King Ludroth. Never saw that one before. So we enter the mission, and start beating the shit out of this monster...well, more like the opposite.
We keep fighting and fighting, but a one point we´re out of healing items. I look up what a sub-goal for the missing is. "Hurt its neck". So I tell my partner that. We keep fighting, but suddenly, he says bye, giving up.
Well, there I am, alone up against that furious giant. Im on top of the waterfall in that area, take a big jump and dive deep into the water. In front of me the King Ludroth, just as as I touch the water´s surface. Well, it´s all or nothing. So I swim towards it, hoping it wouldnt hit me. That´s when I slash its neck, and a miracle: The neck is finally hurt! As fast as possible, I return to the base and quit the mission with "just" the sub mission cleared.

:D

PS: Sorry, it´s probably nothing incredible for most MH-players, but Im just happy that I didnt have to cancel the whole mission.

Brannon

Sorry about that, my connection crapped out on me. Coming back now.

I hope that my starting the quest didn't affect it for anybody else.

Boney

Banned
Ok, so I got the game yesterday, but only started playing today. Having fun and enjoying it. Question, should I just power through with the Great Sword? It feels so powerful and I'll probably love it later on, but these small dinasaours and deers are much easier to kill with the sword and shield.

Should I go S&S starting or stick with the great sword?

Danielsan

This is my first Monster Hunter.
I've playing a ton of hours, single player only for now and I'm definitely enjoying it.
I've almost done all the level two quests. I now have to capture a Great Jaggi,
So far I've been exclusively using a lance. Would you guys recommend a different weapon is or the lance fine?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Danielsan said:
This is my first Monster Hunter.
I've playing a ton of hours, single player only for now and I'm definitely enjoying it.
I've almost done all the level two quests. I now have to capture a Great Jaggi,
So far I've been exclusively using a lance. Would you guys recommend a different weapon is or the lance fine?

If you're good with the Lance, by all means stick with it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gamer @ Heart said:
Just kicked the living shit out of the first Lagiacrus quest in single player.

That bastard is easy!

I NEED TO WEAR HIM.

I imagine Anthony Hopkins saying this in the Hannibal Lecter voice and laughed way more than I should have. :lol :lol

sfried

Is a keyboard worth a purchase for Monster Hunter 3? I found the Logitech Wireless Wii keyboard for $20 bucks, and I thought I could help me with the chat sessions and such.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Where do you find spider webs and how do you make shock traps with no genprey?

Ive heard people say "spider webs in area 1/2 blabla" but where am I looking? is it going to look like a spider web. or am I searching one of the plants?

Bison11

I am officially addicted....Just took down my first Royal Ludroth (or whatever it is) online. Amazing. Also the Switch Axe is a beast

selig

Banned
FootNinja said:

Ive heard people say "spider webs in area 1/2 blabla" but where am I looking? is it going to look like a spider web. or am I searching one of the plants?

im not sure, but maybe try catching bugs where you see butterflies fly.

Danielsan

FootNinja said:

Try catching bugs in area 5.
I just caught 3 spider webs there.

botticus

FootNinja said:

I caught them with the bug net in... area 2? (between base and village) and also from a couple other places scavenging for honey or bait. It's an odd item.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Funky Functionality said:
Wow.

All I can say is wow. I finally had about 3 hours to play this earlier today, and it surpassed all my expectations. Still getting used to the combat, but it's nowhere near as flawed as a few outlets have made it out to be... you just have to pick your attacks carefully and know when to evade... simple as that.

The collection aspects/forging/upgrading/mining/gathering/hunting/everything-ing is just fucking awesome.

I am hooked... this is the perfect game for me. I hope I can stick with it for a while... I usually don't have much time to play games anymore, but I'll probably be making time for this one.

Right there with you, and I just am learning that the online is an absolute blast. Please post your stuff in the community thread, we gotta meet up!

Bison11

Had an epic battle with the Royal Ludroth online, and then a damn Rathion decided to join in on the fun. Needless to say our team got demolished. We then went back and kicked the shit out of a Royal Ludroth though so it was all good.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bison11 said:
Had an epic battle with the Royal Ludroth online, and then a damn Rathion decided to join in on the fun. Needless to say our team got demolished. We then went back and kicked the shit out of a Royal Ludroth though so it was all good.

We spent forever trying to capture one. Damn thing waltzed right over our last trap :(

Everyone is using Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40 to play gaffers, right? It wasn't too lively a few hours ago when I jumped online for the first time. I haven't yet had the opportunity to use wii speak or hear anybody else who has it. I really underestimated the convenience of a keyboard. Talking to non-wiispeakers is such a tedious task.

I posted my info on the community thread today. I hope I see some of you tonight. :D

Vizion28

Banned
I just got the game today and played about an hour.

The game is truly daunting for a newcomer like me. The size and scope of the game seems to expansive. I am guessing it would it take hundreds of hours to get a taste of every nook and crany. I seriously don't think I have the time. The most I can invest is about 30-60 min. a day. I still don't even know how to play with others online.

Chopper Dave said:
Everyone is using Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40 to play gaffers, right? It wasn't too lively a few hours ago when I jumped online for the first time. I haven't yet had the opportunity to use wii speak or hear anybody else who has it. I really underestimated the convenience of a keyboard. Talking to non-wiispeakers is such a tedious task.

I posted my info on the community thread today. I hope I see some of you tonight. :D
Yeah i feel like a keyboard is more of a necessary than wiispeak. If wiispeak worked like it was supposed to then i wouldnt say that but its really lamentable that its such a piece of shit. Its SO wildly infuriating. The quality is up and down across all users. I had some people sound perfectly fine too.

In other news i downed gobul first try B) This is the point in the game where i rock 10 mega pots and 10 reg pots. After all the boy scouts moto is "Be Prepared" Tundra looks beautiful so far.

butzopower

proud of his butz
I've been playing Monster Hunter on and off for two years, and have been getting into the Great Sword quite a bit this time through. I thought I knew what I was doing, have taken out a number of Great Jaggis and a Qurupeco, and only JUST now realized you can charge the normal attack :lol. This changes everything, completely.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
sfried said:
Really? Although I'd like to think that this accessory is usefull beyond just the Internet Channel and MH3.

:( Spend three bucks more and get a real wireless keyboard. Then its useful for every computer activity ever.

sfried

Hawkian said:
:( Spend three bucks more and get a real wireless keyboard. Then its useful for every computer activity ever.
Except those would be kinda bulky on your lap. (Besides, it's 3 bucks more + shipping. Mine was $17/18 with it.)

Edit: Oh, it seems the Logitech Wii Wireless keyboard is PC compatible.

I'll try to find my Hunter ID later tonight.

Kuraine

Neo Member
Okay I just got done doing several quests using my shiny new Light Bowgun, and I am loving this thing. So awesome to load up on all different types of shots and swap on the fly depending. The first-person UI, while tank-y, is pretty neat with the satisfying "ready" sound effect.

Pellet shot run-and-gun on the smaller land guys is awesome, totally reminds me of my Spread in PSO. I tried to load up on the underwater shots for collecting Guts, but my gun only has room for 1 round for those. Normal shot 2 ended up working far better due to the higher capacity + burst fire.

I've got a few crag shots just itchin' to find themselves a large monster :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am a light bowgun lover as well. Can't wait to make me a custom one :D

Could someone please explain what the heck the records are for monster slaying? It updates with your best... what?

First time playing the MH series, and I'm pretty happy so far. I'm just offline for now, and have gotten through the 1 star and most of the 2 star quests (just one left to go). I've been exclusively with the hammer so far and the game has really been pretty easy so far honestly, killing the Great Jaggi being the only time I really had to use a heal item more than once or twice.

Currently, I'm trying to figure out a few things.

1) How to capture a monster (such as the Great Jaggi). Pretty sure I have to get him to walk into a trap, but not sure after that. Still figuring it out.

2) I can't decide if I should upgrade my armor or buy new armor or what. I've been upgrading my Bone Hammer a bit, but haven't bothered with upgrading my armor... I seem to be doing just fine with the basic Hunter-level gear.

I find the carving/gathering very tedious. I don't see why, when there are no monsters around to threaten/interrupt me, I can't just harvest it all at once instead of having to do it one item at a time. Besides that, no serious complaints so far through my first ~6 hours of game play.

Poyunch

Soka said:
First time playing the MH series, and I'm pretty happy so far. I'm just offline for now, and have gotten through the 1 star and most of the 2 star quests (just one left to go). I've been exclusively with the hammer so far and the game has really been pretty easy so far honestly, killing the Great Jaggi being the only time I really had to use a heal item more than once or twice.

Currently, I'm trying to figure out a few things.

1) How to capture a monster (such as the Great Jaggi). Pretty sure I have to get him to walk into a trap, but not sure after that. Still figuring it out.

2) I can't decide if I should upgrade my armor or buy new armor or what. I've been upgrading my Bone Hammer a bit, but haven't bothered with upgrading my armor... I seem to be doing just fine with the basic Hunter-level gear.

I find the carving/gathering very tedious. I don't see why, when there are no monsters around to threaten/interrupt me, I can't just harvest it all at once instead of having to do it one item at a time. Besides that, no serious complaints so far through my first ~6 hours of game play.
For capturing you have to weaken it to the point that it shows signs of weakness, then capture it with a trap, and finally tranq it.

Brannon

Soka said:

There are items that can help cut your carve time down to near zero.

Top Bottom