• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

tenchir

Damn Barroth, all the other monster up till now are easy compared to him. My greatsword isn't really well suited to this monster. I think I will try lance with him.

I've been playing it lately and I will be honest here. This is not a knock on the game because I still think it's one of the best third-party Wii games, and one of the best Wii games worth having...but I'm disappointed.

I guess it's because I've been playing the PSP version. On the PSP, the game is impressive because it looks amazing on a handheld. But playing it on the Wii and on my TV, I guess it feels underwhelming because the graphics look similar to the PSP version. So as a console game, it feels underwhelming to me.

The game still has that addictive Monster Hunter gameplay, but I really think this game really shines on the PSP more than the Wii one. Although I think the Wii version is the better game.

I still love the game though, but I can't help but to feel this way about it. I was expecting crisper graphics, cleaner, and smoother visuals, but it feels a little blurry and just a projected PSP game on a larger screen.

I guess with the reviews it was getting, I was expecting much more. That's just my honest opinion on it. I still think this is the definitive Monster Hunter game, but still, the selfishness in me wishes for a HD version.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Soka said:
Currently, I'm trying to figure out a few things.

1) How to capture a monster (such as the Great Jaggi). Pretty sure I have to get him to walk into a trap, but not sure after that. Still figuring it out.

You trap it then use Tranq Bombs (and/or tranq shots if you're a gunner).

And I wouldn't get too cocky re: the difficulty. I'm just sayin'.

AWESOME hunting with you guys (Teknoman, alske, and Nos_G, apologies if I got the last one wrong). Unexpected Royal Ludroth capture ftw

10 hours here and HR4. :D

Van Owen

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I've been playing it lately and I will be honest here. This is not a knock on the game because I still think it's one of the best third-party Wii games, and one of the best Wii games worth having...but I'm disappointed.

I guess it's because I've been playing the PSP version. On the PSP, the game is impressive because it looks amazing on a handheld. But playing it on the Wii and on my TV, I guess it feels underwhelming because the graphics look similar to the PSP version. So as a console game, it feels underwhelming to me.

The game still has that addictive Monster Hunter gameplay, but I really think this game really shines on the PSP more than the Wii one. Although I think the Wii version is the better game.

I still love the game though, but I can't help but to feel this way about it. I was expecting crisper graphics, cleaner, and smoother visuals, but it feels a little blurry and just a projected PSP game on a larger screen.

I guess with the reviews it was getting, I was expecting much more. That's just my honest opinion on it. I still think this is the definitive Monster Hunter game, but still, the selfishness in me wishes for a HD version.
I'm a little dissapointed with the visuals too, but it's still a good game. Maybe it just doesn't hold up well on larger screens, because it defintely looks blurry, like Vaseline has been rubbed on the screen or something. I guess the hype kind of got my hopes up. Can't imagine how it's putting pressure on the Zelda team. :lol

selig

Banned
Van Owen said:
I'm a little dissapointed with the visuals too, but it's still a good game. Maybe it just doesn't hold up well on larger screens, because it defintely looks blurry, like Vaseline has been rubbed on the screen or something. I guess the hype kind of got my hopes up. Can't imagine how it's putting pressure on the Zelda team. :lol

I would be very surprised if the PSP-MH comes anywhere close to MH3 visually. I just unlocked the 3rd area, and not only the under water-parts, but most importantly the cave is so damn pretty and...believable. The only thing that differentiates MH3 Wii from a hypothetical MH3 HD is....HD.

PS: Not that im not expecting a lot more from the Zelda-team. Closed-off, small areas instead of an open world? gtfo, aonuma

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Are you guys playing via component?

If not you can trade the vaseline-blur effect for crisp aliasing on every surface! :lol

The art direction is magnificent, which saves the visuals, but yeah, this isn't one to play for its graphical showcase.

Attack You said:
I'll be putting in some Community Service hours around 8pm (GMT -4).

Primarily using keyboard, but I'll have Wii Speak ready on request. I'm HR15, so 1 and 2-star quests only. Lower HR users and people new to the series have priority.

I have incredible amounts of patience and empathy, but a low tolerance for behavior most people would consider juvenile. (I'm old. Deal with it.) You're better off assuming I'm easily offended, 'cause it's not beneath me to pretend to be offended just to get away from people.

ID: NBJ3AC
A little late getting back in. I'll be on at the top of the hour (9pm).

Hiltz

Hunting for the day: (single player mode)

- Been using the switch axe now
- captured another bird monster (whatever the heck its name is)
- killed another bird monster
- killed royal ludroth ( broke his tail in the process)
- forged that rhino-like herbivore monster chest armor
- Need to get 1 more killer beetle bug item to upgrade bone switch axe.
- Finished all but 1 of the level 3 quests (Need to fight Barroth!!)

Monster Hunter notes: Royal Ludroth is quite a push over especially when you fight him under water since it is easier to dodge his roll attack. The bastard just has a lot of heath.

I'm kind of scared to fight Barroth. He looks intimidating. :lol

gotee12

Blueblur1 said:
I'm about to start this game. Any tips for a MH newbie? :D
Two things:

- Check the OP. A ton of goods tips there.

- Stick with it. It is daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's incredible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Teknoman said:
Hey everyone, got 1 spot open, usual place for GAF. Doing an event quest.

Damn, I was really interested to do that one! I'll be back on in a couple of hours for a while after (late) dinner.

I should really finish up the 1star offline quests... :lol

Blueblur1 said:

Herb + blue mushroom = potion

Potion + honey = Mega Potion

10 potions + 10 mega potions before any tough quest = priceless

Soka said:
First time playing the MH series, and I'm pretty happy so far. I'm just offline for now, and have gotten through the 1 star and most of the 2 star quests (just one left to go). I've been exclusively with the hammer so far and the game has really been pretty easy so far honestly, killing the Great Jaggi being the only time I really had to use a heal item more than once or twice.

Currently, I'm trying to figure out a few things.

1) How to capture a monster (such as the Great Jaggi). Pretty sure I have to get him to walk into a trap, but not sure after that. Still figuring it out.

2) I can't decide if I should upgrade my armor or buy new armor or what. I've been upgrading my Bone Hammer a bit, but haven't bothered with upgrading my armor... I seem to be doing just fine with the basic Hunter-level gear.

I find the carving/gathering very tedious. I don't see why, when there are no monsters around to threaten/interrupt me, I can't just harvest it all at once instead of having to do it one item at a time. Besides that, no serious complaints so far through my first ~6 hours of game play.

1. Weaken him till he limps (some monster have different signs but the most common one is the monster drawing its leg like its injured), trap him, then throw tranq bombs or tranq shot if your a gunner. done

2. There gonna be a point when a monster is taking may too much health in a hit, so thats a sign to upgrade. Buying new ones is when you want specific skills to help you and since you can really mix and match now you can make the armor with the skill you want (plus more defense).

3. Going back to the skills referred above you have one that deals with speeding up gathering, make you can gather some more from a spot, and not make (small) monsters interrupt you.

Ah man it sucks not having a wii so i can play this since i'm broke :(

Is Barroth the new Tigrex around here? :lol

Alex

I agree and disagree. The actual assets really flat out kick the shit out of the PSP ones. It's night and day. The geometry, texturing, lighting and effects in general are all hugely improved, this in addition to the fact that the environments and quriks in MH3 are just way better than MH1-2. This shows a lot considering how improved MHF3 looks in it's trailer (but still suffers the same PSPisms)

However the image quality of a 360p game with a blur filter all over it on my HDTV is just awful. I had to crank my sharpness just to get some clarity going.

I wonder if they'll expand the series to the 3DS when that's out. That would be really interesting if the rumors on the tech on it come true.

Hiltz

Blueblur1 said:

I'd suggest try using with the sword and shield first. It's fast to attack with and you can block with it too. It's a very practical an easy weapon to get used to especially for beginners.

- Go find herbs to collect and keep them with you since they act as health potions. You can combine herbs with blue mushrooms (another item to collect) to form a better potion. If you also collect honey you can combine it with a potion to form a mega potion.

- Always have some wetstones with you. They are used to sharpen your weapon and regain your attack power once they get dulled from too much combat.

- Yeah, get used to rolling around to dodge monster attacks especially since some weapons cannot be used to block certain monster attacks.

- To get a kelbi horn, you can use a weapon like the sword and shield and use the shield attack to stun the kelbi (little stars will appear over its head) and then carve its carcass to obtain a kelbi horn.

- It's best to avoid getting near those little cat creatures while out in the field. Those bastards like to run up to you and steal random items from ya.

- You'll need to buy an old pick and/or a iron pick to mine minerals from the colored rock-like objects you'll find out in the field.

If you're low on health / need to use a wetstone during combat, either run away from the monster(s) to gain a safe distance to consume an herb/potion or use a wetstone. If you're really desperate, run into a different area away from the one the monster is in so you have a safer time to use a health item or wetstone.

Blueblur1 said:
To a Monster Hunter nub from a Monster Hunter nub:

Read everything you can, talk to people, as they'll have plenty of tips. Drag and drop monsters into your Hunter's Notes (you'll see what I mean) even if they don't seem threatening, because the info in those notes could be very useful in later quests. Be patient. Don't worry too much about gathering everything, but if you have the inventory space, definitely find some use for it, even if it's to bring back and sell. Every zenny counts.

Some seemingly useless items could actually come in handy for combining, so hold onto some in your item box and when you have a large variety of items in there that you can't find other uses for, try them in combination and see what they'll combine with and what you could get.

I've got 4 Max Potions from having a bunch of items in my box and working through trial and error combinations, and I've barely put 6 hours on the game so far. Absolutely love it. I hope you find as much fun in it as I have.

QUESTION TIME:
Guys, I have a few mega nutrients and max potions, both of which are said to increase your maximum total health. Is this only temporary? Can you ever increase your max health beyond the initial 100 permanently? I only ask because I haven't tried them yet, and things like the might seed say "temporarily increase" whereas these concoctions simply say "slightly increase," no mention of temporary there... eh, eh?

Raelson

Hawkian said:
No seriously.
Shows how big they are.

Funky Functionality said:
QUESTION TIME:
Guys, I have a few mega nutrients and max potions, both of which are said to increase your maximum total health. Is this only temporary? Can you ever increase your max health beyond the initial 100 permanently? I only ask because I haven't tried them yet, and things like the might seed say "temporarily increase" whereas these concoctions simply say "slightly increase," no mention of temporary there... eh, eh?

Yes, those are only temporary. You can increase both your stamina and health permanently by using different armor sets. For example, a full Rathian armor gives 20+ in health.
It's not really permanently though, as the stats bonuses disappear when you change armor, but you get what i mean.

Any tips for lance users? I find it incredibly cumbersome (even more so than the hammer, which seems just so much more awesome), and unless I'm just not timing shit right, I can't get any good combos down. I like the ability to block, but the evade is almost totally worthless.

wsippel

Banned
Is Lagi damn hard or is it just me sucking? I had no problems with any monster before him (including Barroth), but it took me nine attempts to finally kill that bastard, and when I got him, I had to use more than 20 potions and more than ten whetstones, and barely managed to kill him within the time limit. 48 minutes... :lol

cabottemp

Banned
man this shit's confusing as fuck. i joined a group where there was already four dudes, and i took a quest, the first one where you have to get shrooms, and i entered the world and i was the only one in there.

there's like no way to figure out where your other party members are. or is there....?

DUN DUN DUN

help!

d0c_zaius

cabot said:
man this shit's confusing as fuck. i joined a group where there was already four dudes, and i took a quest, the first one where you have to get shrooms, and i entered the world and i was the only one in there.

there's like no way to figure out where your other party members are. or is there....?

DUN DUN DUN

help!

yea its a little confusing at first.

only 4 people to a quest, so you entered a quest by yourself

Londa said:
everyone in gate 40?

yup

cabottemp

Banned
d0c_zaius said:
yea its a little confusing at first.

only 4 people to a quest, so you entered a quest by yourself

yup

i wish the quest had a little marker, like an asterisk or something next to it, to let you know where your gamer bros are.

d0c_zaius

Londa said:
I can't find anyone in gate 40

and your checking in the recruiting server, wisdom 1 gate 40?

cabot said:
i wish the quest had a little marker, like an asterisk or something next to it, to let you know where your gamer bros are.

well when you are on a quest with others you see their locations on the minimap at all times

Hawkian said:
Largest and smallest...? There are different sizes of the same monster?

yup

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
d0c_zaius said:
the monster records are for largest and smallest

got a room up if anyone is looking to group

Largest and smallest...? There are different sizes of the same monster?

Londa

Banned
There are 2 Wisdom 1 servers on the list. which one do I choose? Also on both servers gate 40 seems to have no people.

d0c_zaius

Londa said:
There are 2 Wisdom 1 servers on the list. which one do I choose? Also on both servers gate 40 seems to have no people.

From recruiting, theres only wisdom 1, 2, 3, 4.

Wisdom 1 has 31 people.

City Gate 40 has 13 people.

In city gate there are three groups of full 4s. And me :lol

Oh unless you mean EU servers, then I dunno

Proc

The giant bomb quick look turned me off of this game.

However, the idea of multiplayer with a friend would be great.

I love my WoW subscription and don't really need another mmo on my plate.

This game seems to be hard to find in my area, especially the bundle. This makes me want it more.

I have a problem.

Top Bottom