• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Teknoman

Proc said:
The giant bomb quick look turned me off of this game.

However, the idea of multiplayer with a friend would be great.

I love my WoW subscription and don't really need another mmo on my plate.

This game seems to be hard to find in my area, especially the bundle. This makes me want it more.

I have a problem.

Its more like an action game than an MMO.

Oh and if someone takes on a quest/ you see people getting ready, check the bulletin board before heading out. Also sit at the table and grab a bite to eat.

Teknoman

Icarus said:
Anyone have a recommendation for a good Wii-usable keyboard?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D1HCF6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

41FK2v7nt%2BL._SS400_.jpg

d0c_zaius

Icarus said:
Anyone have a recommendation for a good Wii-usable keyboard?

I just grabbed the logitec wireless kb for 30$ at gamestop and its pretty good so far.

Anyone else need nub help? we got two so far

Londa said:
yay first quest completed

Haha and you did fine:D The next one will be a little tougher though.

Raelson said:
Yes, those are only temporary. You can increase both your stamina and health permanently by using different armor sets. For example, a full Rathian armor gives 20+ in health.
It's not really permanently though, as the stats bonuses disappear when you change armor, but you get what i mean.
Thanks!!

One other thing... about the skills.

Lets say I have an active stun skill, or an active paralysis skill... does this add a chance of stun/paralysis to my normal attacks?

One thing that really pisses me off about this game (and I should have looked it up before buying, I know) was the absolute inability for even split-screen OFFLINE. Like, really? Would it have been that difficult to code? I can understand the inability for couch co-op online, but not offline? Arena play is dull as fuck.

evangd007

Funky Functionality said:
Thanks!!

One other thing... about the skills.

Lets say I have an active stun skill, or an active paralysis skill... does this add a chance of stun/paralysis to my normal attacks?

That's stun and paralysis resist. Hold B on the Wiimote and hover over the ability and it will tell you what the ability does.

Teknoman

PROTIP:

Use the pointer to view detailed descriptions of items, stats/skills, and add monsters to your notebook. Also works for terms in village requests/other quests.

ZephyrFate said:
One thing that really pisses me off about this game (and I should have looked it up before buying, I know) was the absolute inability for even split-screen OFFLINE. Like, really? Would it have been that difficult to code? I can understand the inability for couch co-op online, but not offline? Arena play is dull as fuck.

Been going through the arena mode and we wish we had access to more of the game in split screen. The area transitions seem like they are the big sticking point. Can't have two people in the different areas if you have to load each area. A way around that would be to require both players to be at the transition point, but then what happens when someone dies?

Maybe they'll work something out for the inevitable sequel.

Brannon

To sprsk, Dinners and the Rank 14 guy, sorry I got disconnected again. Pretty sure we almost had Barroth, but I'm going to call it quits for tonight. The way my connection's been acting, it's probably going to do this all night. Not cool.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Brannon said:
To sprsk, Dinners and the Rank 14 guy, sorry I got disconnected again. Pretty sure we almost had Barroth, but I'm going to call it quits for tonight. The way my connection's been acting, it's probably going to do this all night. Not cool.

We beat him, fwiw.

Teknoman

Londa said:
having loads of fun with you folks! Gaf delievers

edit:got kicked just when it was getting good....

Yeah seems like a few have been having connect problems lately.

EDIT: Whats a Giginoth? Saw an upgrade ( Blood Tabar) that looks nice...but it needs flabby skin, peculiar beak, and some talon from a Giginoth.

There isnt some huge version of Giggis...is there?

Brannon

On an off note, I'm really addicted to catching the monsters, even if it's a kill quest. It's like Pokemon for the bloodthirsty.

Teknoman

Wii speak worked ok for me. Not sure how clear I came through, but the other two I could hear ok, barring a little feedback (too close to mic?).

Wii speak only seems idea if all 4 have it, just make sure to speak at normal room volume, and be a decent distance from the mic itself.

Teknoman

Brannon said:
On an off note, I'm really addicted to catching the monsters, even if it's a kill quest. It's like Pokemon for the bloodthirsty.

Pokemon Snap too with the pointer.

kafka rock opera said:
Do you really want to know? :)

After fighting Khezu in the old days...i'm not sure. The Giggis are already bad because they act like actual giant leeches...and just seem creepy :lol

Bigger buttons and pointer controls could have made the virtual keyboard decently useful. I can't type very fast in the Opera browser but it sure blows MH3 out of the water in terms of practicality. It's almost as if it was done on purpose to get people to buy keyboards. I guess I will be shopping for a wireless keyboard tomorrow. :lol

I still have yet to have a chance to use wii speak. I'm worried about how well mine works. It passed the wii speak channel test with 4 smiley faces out of 6. The little bar in the wii speak options in MH3 spikes a little during idle noises in game. Is this acceptable? I'm already playing in stereo with the volume killed slightly more than I'm used to.

Londa

Banned
wow that last fight was crazy for a first timer like me. I had so much fun and I ranked up to 2. Thanks guys. Can whoever played with me let me know who you are on here?

edit: I'll be ordering Wii speak and the keyboard soon

edit: ok I have no idea what was going on or who was what. Don't think teko was there. lol

d0c_zaius

Londa said:
wow that last fight was crazy for a first timer like me. I had so much fun and I ranked up to 2. Thanks guys. Can whoever played with me let me know who you are on here? I only knew who tekoman was. lol

edit: I'll be ordering Wii speak and the keyboard soon

I was Trixie.

Didnt even know Tekno was in there with us heh. Good stuff guys!

That Rathian was a doozy :lol Next time Ill follow my own advice and run away further before healing.

Yea that last fight was fun, especially when he goes into the water. Now that you have a good idea of what to expect, try out some different weapons and start building pieces of armor to get your defense up. Glad you had a good time.

Londa

Banned
d0c_zaius said:
I was Trixie.

Didnt even know Tekno was in there with us heh. Good stuff guys!

That Rathian was a doozy :lol Next time Ill follow my own advice and run away further before healing.

Yea that last fight was fun, especially when he goes into the water. Now that you have a good idea of what to expect, try out some different weapons and start building pieces of armor to get your defense up. Glad you had a good time.

You was a really good teacher. Thanks for the help. Glad I added you before you left.

Sil and Trix: you guys killed that last one super fast. I'm glad I remembered to carve

Nos_G

Teknoman said:
Wii speak worked ok for me. Not sure how clear I came through, but the other two I could hear ok, barring a little feedback (too close to mic?).

Wii speak only seems idea if all 4 have it, just make sure to speak at normal room volume, and be a decent distance from the mic itself.

Ya I could hear you fine Tek, though I do game pretty quiet, so I only said things to alert you guys of sub quest progress.

I put my wii on stereo like the game suggests, maybe my feedback came from the acoustics in my living room. I was sitting pretty close to my tv though, around 3 feet away. (maybe less, but I should probably be sitting at least 6 feet away since my tv is a 46')

I had to mute when my girl got home though, so I had to settle using that non-qwerty virtual keyboard. Using that thing while running away to a safe place takes a lot of practice.

Darkgran

I just wanted to chime in and say this game delivers. This is my first MH game and I can see myself putting A TON of hours into it.

ZephyrFate said:
Any tips for lance users? I find it incredibly cumbersome (even more so than the hammer, which seems just so much more awesome), and unless I'm just not timing shit right, I can't get any good combos down. I like the ability to block, but the evade is almost totally worthless.
I just tried using the lance again (after many tries) and I think I'll be using it along with my GS. The evading thing is kind of useful by cancelling out the attack animations =3 if you mess up on a combo or your last attack takes to long to finish you can just evade & continue attacking.

Or maybe instead of killing out your stamina when you get hit you can evade from side to side? I donno =o I just remember testing out the lance one the Gjaggies and whenever it did that stupid body slam thing, and when I blocked, it'd take out a chunk of my stamina. (or was I seeing wrong?)

Tenbatsu

botticus said:
What's the story with the event quests? Are they up for a week, or could it get taken down/changed at any time?
Taken down/changed once in a while.

Hawkian said:
Largest and smallest...? There are different sizes of the same monster?
Many sizes, including giant and midget.

ZephyrFate said:
Arena play is dull as fuck.
ARENA MODE IS A TEST OF SKILLS! If you suck back off from that mode cause it will be boring!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
ZephyrFate said:
Remember phantasy star online for the gamecube having 4-player split-screen? that was awesome.

Kuran

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Did it ever occur to you that this is probably due to hardware limitations? The rendered content would be doubled..

It's still frustrating to see this series get ignored and ridiculed in the podcasts I listen to (giantbomb, cag,...)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tenbatsu said:
Many sizes, including giant and midget.

Um... awesome? Does anyone else feel like this feature of the game/series should have been hyped more? Are larger foes actually tougher or is it just the wow factor?

fernoca

I also recommend that Logitech keyboard..
Awesome..pretty..silent..sleek..well worth the $17.80 two weeks ago, and Amazon has it for a few bucks less now.

Anyway..those fucking cats..
I took the day off yesterday, then jumped back to the game today..and the mission I choose, easy...since I'm starting..
Just collect 3 guts..no problem.
Went there, the ones in the water are easy and usually leave guts..so went there, killed 3..3 guts..easy..back to the camp.
On my way back, 4 cats jumped on me..and I start seeing messages on screen saying that they stole some items..one of them being guts..

Kill the cats, but never got them back..so head back to collect some more guts..and bam!..giant lizard like thing in the water..starts following me..swim like crazy, get out of the water..I run like crazy and it starts shooting blue fireballs (WTF?)...

After trying the same thing 4 times, finally got 1 of the guts i was missing..to finally complete the quest. :lol

Teknoman

Nos_G said:
Ya I could hear you fine Tek, though I do game pretty quiet, so I only said things to alert you guys of sub quest progress.

I put my wii on stereo like the game suggests, maybe my feedback came from the acoustics in my living room. I was sitting pretty close to my tv though, around 3 feet away. (maybe less, but I should probably be sitting at least 6 feet away since my tv is a 46')

I had to mute when my girl got home though, so I had to settle using that non-qwerty virtual keyboard. Using that thing while running away to a safe place takes a lot of practice.

It was my fault the first time, had voice receive volume too loud, so I had an echo. Also you think typing is bad, try recording something in your notebook while its trying to bite your face off.

Oh and anyone having trouble with bosses, recognize patterns. Say, when Quro does it's fire clap, get as far away as possible. Watch out when R. Ludroth starts stretching its neck/looks like its trying to pop its neck, because its about to start its rolling attacks.

I want to give duo arena a shot since you can get exclusive rewards. Also what rank do you get Long Sword again? I'm having fun with SnS, but I want LS as well...and I still cant make one, online or offline.

EDIT: Fern, thats some kinda mucus attack, messes up your stamina.

Tenbatsu

Hawkian said:
Um... awesome? Does anyone else feel like this feature of the game/series should have been hyped more? Are larger foes actually tougher or is it just the wow factor?
Tougher usually. Giant and midget sizes are usually for event quest. In the normal online/offline quest, the bigger they are the more health and fierce they will be.

fernoca said:
Kill the cats, but never got them back..
You can get them back..... its at a place where there are many erm, cats? If it is flooded forest then there's no way.

Teknoman

Tenbatsu said:
Tougher usually. Giant and midget sizes are usually for event quest. In the normal online/offline quest, the bigger they are the more health and fierce they will be.

Do event quests change from day to day? Also are there download quests like in the past games?

forrest

formerly nacire
Looks like the backlight on my 55inch Samsung is taking a dump on me. I really think I'm not destined to play this game. :/

Tenbatsu

Teknoman said:
Do event quests change from day to day? Also are there download quests like in the past games?
For the japanese version, its on a weekly basis. You don't download them, just play them online. There is one there now currently.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think event quests change whenever they feel like changing them. Hopefully we see some PSO-style themed ones for holidays and such. :D

I don't know why but the fact that the big monsters are not exactly the same every time you encounter them has really extended the potential replay value of this for me, even if it's not that noticeable in practice. Such a nice touch.

Gonna do some offline questing now.

Here's a question- I never want to lose this Autotracker skill, ever. How do I keep it when I inevitably ditch the Hunter armor for something better? What options do I have?

fernoca

Tenbatsu said:
You can get them back..... its at a place where there are many erm, cats? If it is flooded forest then there's no way.
Yeah..it was in the water..killed them, they left "something shiny"..but none were the stuff they stole.

Top Bottom