• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Owzers

Things i learned today:

What armor skills are: Had to read up on them online because they didnt' really tell you much ingame.

Sword and Shield has a lot of random attacks that i'll probably never use, but they can use items without putting away your sword...but you have to be blocking to do so.....

I don't like playing with random online people. I keep playing the same quests over and over again.

Teknoman

Tenbatsu said:
For the japanese version, its on a weekly basis. You don't download them, just play them online. There is one there now currently.

Yeah we did the mercy one and got a ton of ore and charms.

EDIT: Use shield bash attack to stun monsters. The combos are helpful (regular attack till the last hit, then press + or A twice) to extend damage. As far as armor skills go, use the pointer (press and hold B) to read a description of what + or - the skill will do, as well as when the various stages activate.

Can you heal monsters with healing ammo? I've been so cautious shooting healing rounds near monsters. It would be relieving to know the answer upfront instead of testing it in a live match. I don't want my comrades seeing me heal our enemy :lol Anybody know? Tenbatsu?

JKTrix

sillymonkey321 said:
Things i learned today:

What armor skills are: Had to read up on them online because they didnt' really tell you much ingame.

When you point at a skill name with the Wii remote, it tells you more about them.

Edit: "Jason", I think your healing rounds were fine (I was Raikou), you used it that one time on Aku when the Barroth was about to kill him, so it's better to be desperate than sorry :p

Teknoman

Chopper Dave said:
Can you heal monsters with healing ammo? I've been so cautious shooting healing rounds near monsters. It would be relieving to know the answer upfront instead of testing it in a live match. I don't want my comrades seeing me heal our enemy :lol Anybody know? Tenbatsu?

Yes you can, right Hawk :lol But seriously, I dont think it heals by much, especially when you have 4 hunters outputting damage.

EDIT: Yeah I think its better to take the shot and risk healing the monster, than letting a teammate die.

Tenbatsu

fernoca said:
Yeah..it was in the water..killed them, they left "something shiny"..but none were the stuff they stole.
You can get your stuff they stole back from a cat statue in a stage.

Chopper Dave said:
Yes, you can heal monsters too.

JKTrix said:
When you point at a skill name with the Wii remote, it tells you more about them.

Edit: "Jason", I think your healing rounds were fine (I was Raikou), you used it that one time on Aku when the Barroth was about to kill him, so it's better to be desperate than sorry :p

I never had any experience with healing ammo in single player so I was really nervous about hitting the enemy. I'm glad the ones I did shoot hit their mark. :D

Kad5

Are the more powerful weapons nessecarily better? for example the bone great sword seems slightly slower yet more powerful than the regular iron great sword or whatever.

DataBot

Brannon said:
To sprsk, Dinners and the Rank 14 guy, sorry I got disconnected again. Pretty sure we almost had Barroth, but I'm going to call it quits for tonight. The way my connection's been acting, it's probably going to do this all night. Not cool.

The Rank 14 guy was me.
Yeah that sucked disconnect at the Royal Ludroth and at Barroth.
Ill be tomorrow on again.

Owzers

JKTrix said:

Ahh....i never point at things with the Wiimote unless my life is being threatened. I'm using the classic controller 2 for a reason.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Was playing with two other gaffers and one stranger.

We were doing the Qurupeco quest, and after like 25 minutes of fighting and chasing the damn thing, we ended up in area 9.

After a few more minutes of fighting, a royal ludroth popped in from area 10 and decided to join the fun. We got pwned :lol

Eteric Rice

So, is there an official GAF server now? :|

Also, can someone explain the armor system? I read that it's pretty complex.

In game name is Artavius btw.

Hawkian said:
Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll yeah.
2mmu62b.gif

it actually crashes on mine when i click "game start." i've been running it off a disc.

Hiltz

- Lost to a Royal Ludroth which was originally summoned by the bird monster.

- killed the bird monster and went back to slay the R. Ludroth. I got revenge by chopping off its tail and spongy mane. :D

The switch axe's sword mode special ability is fantastic.

For those that don't know, unsheath switch axe (if your using the Classic Controller Pro,) press R to go into sword mode then press the + button and repeatedly tap the X button.)

GaimeGuy said:
Was playing with two other gaffers and one stranger.

We were doing the Qurupeco quest, and after like 25 minutes of fighting and chasing the damn thing, we ended up in area 9.

After a few more minutes of fighting, a royal ludroth popped in from area 10 and decided to join the fun. We got pwned :lol

That sounds pretty much exactly like what happened to me. Was Khory part of your group?

Hiltz

Does anyone know if there is a limit to certain boss monsters the bird monster can summon ?

So far, I've encountered great jaggi and royal ludroth.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Hiltz said:
Does anyone know if there is a limit to certain boss monsters the bird monster can summon ?

So far, I've encountered great jaggi and royal ludroth.

I suppose it varies with the area and quest you're doing

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
JKTrix said:
Thanks chap! I've been pointing at monsters and putting bits that I need in the memo, but never thought to point at skills.

I was afraid I'd have to go trawling through online resources and such to get a decent idea of new skills, but glad I don't have to do this now.

Seriously, Tri is all I hoped it would be and more. I'm excited to play it every day. Even get a buzz from completing a really rubbish quest, and I know it's only gonna get better.

NomarTyme

Eteric Rice said:
That fish lion is an asshole oh both land and sea. :(
Just be wary of his roll on land and attack from behind. Sea is another thing though since its taking awhile for me to adapt the controls.

Poyunch

I can't seem to do well with the Royal Ludroth by myself. With others it's so much easier. It's sad that I can't enjoy fighting it that much since it's a pretty fun monster. It's just too overwhelming for me alone. :lol

Eteric Rice said:
If I set something to 1 player when I'm online, will it balance the quest for one player?
That's not possible.

edit: Now I remember why I love the Switch Axe so much. It's so powerful. I do sort of miss the agility of the SnS combat style though.

Insaniac

Teknoman said:
Yes you can, right Hawk :lol But seriously, I dont think it heals by much, especially when you have 4 hunters outputting damage.

EDIT: Yeah I think its better to take the shot and risk healing the monster, than letting a teammate die.

yeah i always just heal the teammate regardless of monsters nearby, the healing is negligent compared to the damage you deal to him so quickly

Hey all. Really enjoying this game as much as the PSP ones I have got to play! Quick question I had for those playing through single player: How do you get the "super-size dung"? I have down several quests up to beating the Royal Ludroth, yet I have not found the dung anywhere to improve my farm in that way yet.

Any help will be appreciated! I also look forward to playing online as well. I have played co-op with my bro today, and it was quite fun!

Poyunch

Nobodyspatzy said:
Hey all. Really enjoying this game as much as the PSP ones I have got to play! Quick question I had for those playing through single player: How do you get the "super-size dung"? I have down several quests up to beating the Royal Ludroth, yet I have not found one to improve my farm in that way yet.

Any help will be appreciated! I also look forward to playing online as well. I have played co-op with my bro today, and it was quite fun!
Talk to Junior and then go to Villager Requests.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Got up to hr 17 today, but Ive been helping everyone else complete their quests so I've done every 1 and 2 star quest multiple times damn near. Still have almost all of mine to do :(

Figure I'll hit up the single player some more and get me some gigginox gear, that guy is pretty cool looking.

Lyonaz

Teknoman said:
Can you aim with a crosshair with the bowgun like in the past games?

Yeah just hold the R button, you need to aim with the d-pad then though, so it takes some getting used to, at least for me. But still Bowgun love ftw.:D

selig

Banned
Yeah, killed my first Qurupeco in singleplayer :D What a fight. No more items, my sword lost all its sharpness, stamina all down. But got him :D

Saya

I really could use some tips on the Who's the Boss? quest. The one where you need to capture a Great Jaggi. I already tried this quest about 10 times, but I fail everytime. Whats the best place to place the shock trap?

Dreavus

Saya said:
I really could use some tips on the Who's the Boss? quest. The one where you need to capture a Great Jaggi. I already tried this quest about 10 times, but I fail everytime. Whats the best place to place the shock trap?

Where are you having difficulty? Is the trap not doing anything or are you accidentally killing him? (which is what I did my first run :lol ).

When I did this one, I hit him until he limped away, chased after him, when he started trying to fight me in the new zone, I backed off and put down the trap, then stood with the trap between him and I. Eventually he charged me and went straight into the trap.

You have to make sure that he has already limped away from you before you try to shock trap him. Even if it looks like he's no longer limping after you've chased him to the new location, he should still be capturable, unless he sleeps too much (I think they regain health from that). Once he's paralyzed, throw a couple of tranq bombs at him and he should be captured.

Saya said:

The best place would be where it goes to rest if you got it weak enough (i.e limping). If you enter the area when he resting just lay it near to him.

Tip: if you reach the area before he does, just wait a bit before going in so he will go to sleep uninterrupted.

just killed Barroth finally in offline, after like 5 tries. Geez that was a pain. Have yet to jump in online, but i'm enjoying offline quite a bit so far :D

I really like the lance, blocking makes my life so much easier.

Since no one answered a few pages ago: I'm more than busy with a school and Pokemon HeartGold taking over my life, if I wait and get MH3 in july/august do you still think the community(gaf especially) will be active online?

Tenbatsu

Pancho said:
Man, Barroth's kicking my ass, any tips?
Try fighting him in a corner so he wont move around that much and use sword and shield.

Saya said:
You can also equip the skill 'Capture Guru' so the monster icon will blink when its ready for capture.

Metroid Killer said:
Since no one answered a few pages ago: I'm more than busy with a school and Pokemon HeartGold taking over my life, if I wait and get MH3 in july/august do you still think the community(gaf especially) will be active online?
They will but I don't think will be as active as now, maybe online once in a while since its free.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Really close to finishing off my gigginox gear and I better not see any of you wearing it. Really starting to like gigginox, even if he does represent everything they wished they'd have done with khezu. They have made my second favorite monster hunter monster last years model.

caligula13

Gold Member
ok, i must have skipped some very important instruction but i have no idea how to make even the first quest. how do i know where i can find those damn mushrooms? someone told me i have to go to the monster book but my monster book is empty and i have no idea how to put monsters into that book. it's all so complicated and i have no idea where to get the info i missed.

So I was throwing a few tranq bombs at a Great Jaggi and used the trap afterwards. The GJ was immediately captured, so I assume it doesn't matter in what order I'm using the tranq bombs and the trap? (even though I can see why it would make more sense to trap the monster first and then throw the bombs)

kinggroin

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I've been playing it lately and I will be honest here. This is not a knock on the game because I still think it's one of the best third-party Wii games, and one of the best Wii games worth having...but I'm disappointed.

I guess it's because I've been playing the PSP version. On the PSP, the game is impressive because it looks amazing on a handheld. But playing it on the Wii and on my TV, I guess it feels underwhelming because the graphics look similar to the PSP version. So as a console game, it feels underwhelming to me.

The game still has that addictive Monster Hunter gameplay, but I really think this game really shines on the PSP more than the Wii one. Although I think the Wii version is the better game.

I still love the game though, but I can't help but to feel this way about it. I was expecting crisper graphics, cleaner, and smoother visuals, but it feels a little blurry and just a projected PSP game on a larger screen.

I guess with the reviews it was getting, I was expecting much more. That's just my honest opinion on it. I still think this is the definitive Monster Hunter game, but still, the selfishness in me wishes for a HD version.

That sucks to hear, and apparently you are not the only one. Hearing all the complaints about this games image quality makes me kinda glad I have the wii connected to a 27" sd trinitron. Im not kidding when i say that at times on this display, the game looks as impressive as a 360 title!

Aaaahhrgh, what the shit happened to "capture monster to get more shit than 3 measly carves." I'm needing baggi hides, captured a great baggi and got: 2 claws and a single measly fucking hide!!! AAAHAHAHAA!!!

Edit: supersized dung anyone? (yes, i am ALL about the poo!)

Tenbatsu

slaughterking said:
So I was throwing a few tranq bombs at a Great Jaggi and used the trap afterwards. The GJ was immediately captured, so I assume it doesn't matter in what order I'm using the tranq bombs and the trap? (even though I can see why it would make more sense to trap the monster first and then throw the bombs)
Yap either way works fine.

selig

Banned
I´d wish people would understand that when steam is coming out of a monsters nose, it means it´s furious...STAY AWAY :/

Top Bottom