• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

selig said:
I´d wish people would understand that when steam is coming out of a monsters nose, it means it´s furious...STAY AWAY :/
Only wimps stay away, I get in there a smash the fock out of it.
Only died once so far and thats because the Quepro or whatever summoned a Rathian and it managed to pin me down (new move) and rip me to shreds.

Online is kind of annoying me as you get people near naked with a level one weapon joining who have clearly never fought anything past GJaggi :lol

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
caligula13 said:
are there some walkthroughs of this game, because i don't even know how to find the mushrooms in the first quest?
Ripened mushrooms?

if so, wait until the bugs in the second area eat mushrooms and turn blue/green then kill them and take your shrooms.

If any other kind, just go press A (i'm using ccpro idk what it might be with the nunchuk control scheme) on the logs with mushrooms growing out of them. Once you have enough go back and put them in the red box at the base.

caligula13

Gold Member
FootNinja said:
Ripened mushrooms?

if so, wait until the bugs in the second area eat mushrooms and turn blue/green then kill them and take your shrooms.

If any other kind, just go press A (i'm using ccpro idk what it might be with the nunchuk control scheme) on the logs with mushrooms growing out of them. Once you have enough go back and put them in the red box at the base.

thank you for the info.

and is there a way in the game to find it out without asking gamers in neogaf?

i mean am i just stupid?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
caligula13 said:
thank you for the info.

i mean am i just stupid?
A ton of people had trouble with this exact quest. This is one example of the many many things that monster hunter hides from you.

Johnlenham said:
I get in there a smash the fock out of it.
Yeah, seriously. Depends on how hard the thing hits and how much armor you got on, but if there's an opening, there's an opening, and that's that.

Unrelated, but god, FINALLY, longswords, wuhu!

Ridley327

caligula13 said:
thank you for the info.

i mean am i just stupid?

You're not stupid; the game just wants you to figure it out on your own. Once I had figured out that Altaroths feasted on mushrooms to make them available for gathering, I figured it was only a matter of time before there was a plant that caused them to be different; in this case, it's the mushroom patches where the majority of them are white.

caligula13

Gold Member
FootNinja, Ridley 327, thanks for your help.

i hope i will be able to find out alone all the things that the game is keeping away from me!!:D

Saya

Thanks Tenbatsu, Draevus & Infinite Justice!

I managed to capture the Great Jaggi. What I did was I ran passed the Great Jaggi in the 1st area. I just straight away went to area 5 and killed all the smaller monsters. I placed the trap on his sleeping spot and then went to fight the Great Jaggi and just push him back until he retreats to area 5 to sleep. After that it was just a matter of following him and throwing the tranqs when he was in the trap. :D

I did some other quests after that and just got the Switchaxe! Awesome weapon.

ShinNL

GROOOOOOOOOOWWWLLLL

I finally got my reserved money lifted from my virtual credit card and PAID for my MH3 bundle!!!!!

On one hand I felt bad for being so delayed by shitty companies, on the other hand while updating the online matchup thread I realized Aussies are waiting as well. That said, EU players, write your ID there! Lack of GAF EU hunters = disappointing.

And you want to be on that list, mark my words :O*

*Today?

hiro4

slaughterking said:
So I was throwing a few tranq bombs at a Great Jaggi and used the trap afterwards. The GJ was immediately captured, so I assume it doesn't matter in what order I'm using the tranq bombs and the trap? (even though I can see why it would make more sense to trap the monster first and then throw the bombs)
WHAT ?!?!
I just tried this quest 4 times and failed 4 times because I did now know that!

Does it matter how much time is between tranqing and trapping the monster? Would make it a lot easier.

selig

Banned
goddamn, just in case the right one reads here: If you´re close to dying and we almost have the Royal Ludroth killed, BACK OFF. Go to the base and sleep a round. sigh

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Also I'm beginning to feel like a Barroth expert at this point. I swear all I ever seem to do online is that damn Barroth 1* urgent. :lol

Tip for people having trouble with him: Renophlos Armor + Spiral Lance. Works great.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Teknoman said:
Yes you can, right Hawk :lol But seriously, I dont think it heals by much, especially when you have 4 hunters outputting damage.

Yeah sorry, was not expecting that :D Do think it was worth it though

autobzooty said:
it actually crashes on mine when i click "game start." i've been running it off a disc.

You need to use IOS 222-mload (as created in the GAF HB wiki) or 223-mload with a merged 38 and 37.

caligula13 said:
ok, i must have skipped some very important instruction but i have no idea how to make even the first quest. how do i know where i can find those damn mushrooms? someone told me i have to go to the monster book but my monster book is empty and i have no idea how to put monsters into that book. it's all so complicated and i have no idea where to get the info i missed.

caligula13 said:
thank you for the info.

i mean am i just stupid?

The info you were given here is wrong, you need to get Unique Mushrooms for that quest, and all you have to do is look for mushrooms on the ground around the forest and gather (press a). When you have five go back to the red box you saw at the start of the quest and deposit them.

You might need ripened mushrooms as described above for one of the subquests, but that's not necessary. Usually as soon as you head out during these tutorial-ish quests, you will get some helpful info in a text box, make sure you read that.

EDIT: I see fistwell did mention that, he just didn't know which kind you were looking for. The quest needs Unique Mushrooms and those are just on the ground.

Hawkian said:
Here's a question- I never want to lose this Autotracker skill, ever. How do I keep it when I inevitably ditch the Hunter armor for something better? What options do I have?

Anybody? :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Farming the Great Jaggi quest right now, even though everyone has said the armor made with its drops will soon be outclassed.

Working on the two star quest occasionally now; I definitely don't feel confident enough to jump online yet! :lol

Neo C.

The MH3 EU community of GAF is still too small. :(

Fought with some random dudes against Great Jaggi, the first has retreated cowardly, and the two of us aren't strong enough...

Wait, how do repel quest work again? Do you need to kill the thing before a given time otherwise he's just repelled?
Man, that lagiacrus thingy was a pushover... COME BACK HERE YOU!

windfish

Neo C. said:

Fought with some random dudes against Great Jaggi, the first has retreated cowardly, and the two of us aren't strong enough...

i will glady fight with you! are you online right now? if so where? =D

btw i need some help with the 1* event quest

Neo C. said:
I'll get in on the action eventually. I vaguely tried to connect my brand spanking new wii to my wireless router yesterday, but no dice. I'll join you guys when and if i figure it out!

Apenheul

Got MH:Tri yesterday at 14:00, played it for more than ten hours until 04:00 with only a short break for eating and that's only happened to me maybe five times in the last ten years. Too bad I only have time in the weekends for this sort of thing.

Tenbatsu

Hawkian said:
No way, best option is to use the paintball. Another way is to find a charm with Psychic +7 and equip decorations/mix armors to activate the skill, but not recommended. Or use Psychoserum.

dsister44

windfish said:
i will glady fight with you! are you online right now? if so where? =D

btw i need some help with the 1* event quest

im in EU as well, if you post your code i'll try and add you. HR 4 at the moment, building my pecco armour.

btw is it right that the person you want to add has to be online for you to send a message. cos if so that retarded

gkryhewy

Can someone please summarize the "trick" of getting access to the switch axe earlier online? I visited the smith in an online city and saw the switch axe category in his forge list, but there were no actual axes available for forging.

Luigiv

Tenbatsu said:
No way, best option is to use the paintball. Another way is to find a charm with Psychic +7 and equip decorations to activate the skill, but not recommended.
Shame there's no Tigrex in Tri. Tigrex armour rocks so hard. Autotracker, Fast eating and with a few gems Earplugs.

Tenbatsu

Luigiv said:
Shame there's no Tigrex in Tri. Tigrex armour rocks so hard. Autotracker, Fast eating and with a few gems Earplugs.
Design or skills wise?

Edit: There's a better one in Tri. Much much better. Anw, to get those skills you mentioned is pretty simple in Tri, you just need to mix around.

JKTrix

Hawkian said:
(I Miss Autotracker)

Anybody? :(

I'm in the same boat as you. That came because of the Psychic skill, which you can get through Decorations...eventually. Cha Cha can also get a mask that can show monsters on the field, but that's only in Single Player mode.

There are probably other armours in the future that have Psychic built-in, but it seems like Decorations will be your best bet (once you can actually forge the Psychic one).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tenbatsu said:
No way, best option is to use the paintball. Another way is to find a charm with Psychic +7 and equip decorations/mix armors to activate the skill, but not recommended. Or use Psychoserum.

What's this?

"4 10 鷹見のピアス Hawkeye Earring --- Gobul Coin x3, Rathalos Coin x3, Barioth Coin x3 15000z Autotracker "

I have no clue how earrings work or anything like that.

I did some research and it looks like my ultimate pie in the sky goal will be the Deviljho armor...

...sigh.

windfish

dsister44 said:
im in EU as well, if you post your code i'll try and add you. HR 4 at the moment, building my pecco armour.

btw is it right that the person you want to add has to be online for you to send a message. cos if so that retarded

LM5G51 Faust ... HR 4 too ...and jep looks like one has to be online

So what's a good set of armor to use after jaggi armor? One that I won't have to change immediately after I make it. =(

I might just look at the stats and mix and match, hmmm.

Tenbatsu

Hawkian said:
What's this?

"4 10 鷹見のピアス Hawkeye Earring --- Gobul Coin x3, Rathalos Coin x3, Barioth Coin x3 15000z Autotracker "

I have no clue how earrings work or anything like that.

I did some research and it looks like my ultimate pie in the sky goal will be the Deviljho armor...

...sigh.
Its an earring, consider a helmet. When you equip it, you will activate the skill. You need to fight arena mode to get those items to make it. I personally will not sacrifice a piece of armor just to activate auto tracking, not worth it at all. Just stock up on Psychoserum.

Also you don't need to look at full set armor, you just need to know which set of armor have the skill then you mix and match with charm to activate it. You can even mix and match with your hunter suit too.

Example:
Hunter Helmet - Psychic +4
Hunter Arm - Psychic +5
Charm - Psychic +7 (provided you can get it)
7 + 5 + 4 =16 Auto tracker activated

From the above example, you only need two armors parts to activate auto tracker with a charm of Psychic +7, its so simple. You can even add in decorations to your Hunter helmet/arm if you do not have a charm with Psychic +7 which is example 2.

Example 2:
Hunter Helmet (1 slot) - Psychic +4 + Psychic Decoration + 2 = 6
Hunter Arm (1 slot) - Psychic +5 + Psychic Decoration + 2 = 7
7 + 6 =13

Example 2 shows that you only need 2 more points which is one Psychic Decoration attached to another armor part or a charm with Psychic + 2 to activate Auto tracker.

Hence, its not recommend to wear full armor set from a particular monster in MH3 as it limit the skill that you can have.

kinggroin

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
When can I get a longsword? My hammer is kind of boring me. :|

Really? What hammer you using?

I'm currently trying to get the Ludroth Hammer (need the maine from a R. ludroth); buddy has it and it's siiiiick

JKTrix

Yeah, I love the hammer (though I put it on backburner once I got the Switchaxe)

Using its 'charge' attacks can extend your combos, don't even really have to charge it. I like using the level 2 charge (not the level 3 spinny one) as a general 'jump in' attack, since it shoots you forward a little bit. The Level 1 charge attack (just tap R) is also good for closing distance, but I find Level 2's a little more precise.

After you end your normal 3-hit combo, the one that ends with a golf swing, I think you can tap R to 2 the L1 charge hit and then do another 3-hit combo (if the monster is still enough).

The L2 charge can knock over boss enemies too if they're damaged enough.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Attack You said:
You can buy claws in the city.

Heh, yeah, I found that out right after making that post. :lol

So I got my Rathian set. And now, after ridiculous amounts of ore grinding, I'm about to get the Ingot Set. :D

botticus

EvilMario said:
Farming the Great Jaggi quest right now, even though everyone has said the armor made with its drops will soon be outclassed.

Working on the two star quest occasionally now; I definitely don't feel confident enough to jump online yet! :lol
Screw armor, I need to run through that a few more times for my Commander's Dagger!

Eteric Rice said:
When can I get a longsword? My hammer is kind of boring me. :|
After you're done with
3* urgent quest
, wait for the
eastern trader guy
to drop by, then talk to
equipment midget

God, Just went through 45 minutes of shittyass underwater fighting against fucking lagiacrus. He can't kill me, but neither can i kill him apparently... 45 fucking minutes of spanking his ass... chopped his tail, broke his chest plate, and yet, NOTHING.
Fuck, i dont wanna go through that shit again... I'm gonna go and kill me some raths.

selig

Banned
Great Sword-question: So you can do an infinite combo, but you cannot change the direction of your attack. Is this possible with a later weapon or some kind of upgrade? Would be really awesome, if you could change direction without having to stop your attack.

Mael

Got the ultimate box thingy, since I already have a wiispeak and a Classic controller (normal & Pro), I'll ship the extras to a friend when I'll get my internet back :D
Needless to say this game is A W E S O M E.
I just defeated a Grand jaggi and I'll have to capture it next.
Is it me or is the game really holding your hand this time?
I don't remember Freedom Unite telling me shit but a bunch of quests to try each type of weapons :-/
The beginning and the additions make the game feel really new, that's really awesome.
From the fact that it's not mandatory to begin a quest for just bbqing a few pieces of meat to pointer mode.
Really I'm glad they got the pointer mode on it, it feels so much better to get the data on the monsters by yourself and not having to buy a bunch of books.
Freedom Unite was my GOTY tied with nsmbw last year, this time Tri is coasting alone for now.
It's really good,
Also do you NEED a web access to get to the town? Or does the game try to connect after you've gotten into the town?

Top Bottom