• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Ogni-XR21 said:
Mine is appr. 1.5 - 2 meters away (1 - 3 meters is suggested in the booklet). Sound quality is ok when I record messages in the Wii Speak Channel but online it's really hard to understand. Maybe Wii Speak just doesn't like German.

Btw. another kind of annyoing thing is that I have a qwerty keyboard even though I'm used to using a qwertz one. The price you pay when you play your games in English only, I guess...

Ugh. I bought a Wii Speak just for this game, haven't had a chance to use it yet but I've read nothing but complaints about the sound quality.

I think I might just order that Wii keyboard I've seen links for.

Ogni-XR21

jaundicejuice said:
Ugh. I bought a Wii Speak just for this game, haven't had a chance to use it yet but I've read nothing but complaints about the sound quality.

I think I might just order that Wii keyboard I've seen links for.

Well it's still nice to kind of hear the other players but for real detailed conversations a keyboard is definitely the better choice. It's ok when in a fight and you can't type to just give simple feedback.

Btw. any USB keyboard will do, I just hooked up my PC wireless keyboard, worked instantly.

Drame

Phew! Gobul was surprisingly tough.

That damn fish kept swimming away and best of all I ran out of paintballs and whetstones. :lol
In the end the whole hunt took 40 minutes. I really need to try again and this time stock up with stones and paintballs! I need 2 Gobul Pikes for the long sword anyway.

Also, beat Barroth for the first time today. Such a great fight and the battle's BGM is great too.

d0c_zaius said:
I was Trixie.
That Rathian was a doozy :lol Next time Ill follow my own advice and run away further before healing.

Lol I was watching you potion up and then Rathian started charging at you.

Londa said:
Sil and Trix: you guys killed that last one super fast. I'm glad I remembered to carve

Carve any and everything in sight! Gotta get those mats.

Teknoman

Ogni-XR21 said:
Mine is appr. 1.5 - 2 meters away (1 - 3 meters is suggested in the booklet). Sound quality is ok when I record messages in the Wii Speak Channel but online it's really hard to understand. Maybe Wii Speak just doesn't like German.

Btw. another kind of annyoing thing is that I have a qwerty keyboard even though I'm used to using a qwertz one. The price you pay when you play your games in English only, I guess...

It might not be on your end then. All people involved have to have it set up properly...through voices do seem to come through scratchy at times.

Van Owen

Banned
Hawkian said:
If it makes a difference, I think you need to hit him in the head with the bombs.

Guess I will try that next. I think one may have hit it just as it was getting out of the trap too.

I kind hate the item management since it was sort of hard to find the bombs in my inventory while being chased by the little jaggi.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Question for the dudes who have Monster Hunted in the past:

Ive been doing pretty well (about a 150 hrs on MH 2) so I havent had to grind for weapons or armor since Ive been killing shit left and right ... but now the weapons I have just dont have enough sharpness to make a dent the current crop of bosses, I guess my only option is to just suck it up and grind for items uh?

I haven't been able to play for the last 5 days because I've been at work pulling 12+ hour shifts. I'm feeling the itch. Tonight is the night. Two days off. Time to fucking hunt.

d0c_zaius

RapidCancel said:
Lol I was watching you potion up and then Rathian started charging at you.

Carve any and everything in sight! Gotta get those mats.

haha yea, usually when Im healing I run to the edge or even zone just to be safe. But I was so focused on typing "heal up londa" that I didnt notice how close I was.

I'll be around today if you wanna do some 2 stars

Raelson

Raging Spaniard said:
Question for the dudes who have Monster Hunted in the past:

Ive been doing pretty well (about a 150 hrs on MH 2) so I havent had to grind for weapons or armor since Ive been killing shit left and right ... but now the weapons I have just dont have enough sharpness to make a dent the current crop of bosses, I guess my only option is to just suck it up and grind for items uh?
Yes of course. Grinding for mats is a huge part of MH.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Raelson said:
Yes of course. Grinding for mats is a huge part of MH.

Yeah I get that, it just sucks cause I dont get hit by shit, but the game still wants me to have to grind. Oh wells, no biggie

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hm, I'm torn...I have enough Rathalos mats to make either the Red Bludgeon (Hammer) or Wyvern Blade Fire (Longsword). No idea which I want to make though. :lol

So far...Wii Speak has been an absolute waste of money.

Beyond that, this game is wonderfully fun. the game isn't complicated enough to warrant communication when you're playing with three other people that know what they're doing.

Of course, you could have more elaborate strategies if you know...people communicated but maybe the next iteration will be more user friendly in that regard.

...and I just got enough mats for my switch axe.

It's wicked.

Delio

I havent been able to play online thanks to whatever wifi error that goes on. So i've been sticking to offline while that get's fixed. I got so excited when one of my fishing boats brought back a Gobul Spike. Now all i need is the Lanturn to get my Hammer upgraded. Yay for Fishing boats ^_^

Teknoman

Well if you've got a USB keyboard, you can form some pretty nice strategies. Wii speak isnt working as well as I want it to, but lots of times communication is essential if you arent the one being attacked, and have a great idea to share/ need to tell that you're going to restock at base.

robox

what's a good armor for start with?
beat the village royal ludroth and i'm starting to feel the pain of fighting naked.
great jaggi has atk
querupeco has evade
donno what else is worthwhile. i tend to prefer atk skills over defense so... probably great jaggi. i've also hunted a several more jaggi's than queru so that's a plus

Teknoman said:
Well if you've got a USB keyboard, you can form some pretty nice strategies. Wii speak isnt working as well as I want it to, but lots of times communication is essential if you arent the one being attacked, and have a great idea to share/ need to tell that you're going to restock at base.

Yeah...I'll be picking up a USB wireless keyboard I suppose.

I'm going to update my ID under the online thread and let people know I have vent as well.

Pancho

Qurupancho
So I assume the Lagiacrus doesn't come at you at full power in that quest where you just gotta fend him off, cuz it was a bit underwhelming.

Pancho

Qurupancho
r - b - x said:
what's a good armor for start with?
beat the village royal ludroth and i'm starting to feel the pain of fighting naked.
great jaggi has atk
querupeco has evade
donno what else is worthwhile. i tend to prefer atk skills over defense so... probably great jaggi. i've also hunted a several more jaggi's than queru so that's a plus

I began with the Great Jaggi's since he's faster to kill and you can grind him faster, of course if you go against the Qurupeco with it, you gotta be REALLY careful to not get hit with his fire attacks since the armor's pretty weak against fire.

Cruceh

Banned
Whats the point of capturing monsters? I've just been mining/killing monsters for items to forge. Also, what weapons are fun to try? I use sword because t tried LS and it's so slow and Lances only go straight

Pancho

Qurupancho
Cruceh said:
Whats the point of capturing monsters? I've just been mining/killing monsters for items to forge. Also, what weapons are fun to try? I use sword because t tried LS and it's so slow and Lances only go straight

When you capture them you get a whole lot more items for forging than when you kill them, It's specially good for really rare drops. And regarding fun weapons, my favorites are the Switch Axe and the Hammer, they take time to learn but they are very powerful.

Remfin

Sorry about leaving right after we failed that quest guys, I really had no more time :(

Barroth can bite me. We went the full 50 minutes, hitting it on its weak points with 4 players and...still didn't kill it. WTF?

Poyunch

Yeah it's a GDB. :lol Anyway if we do it again I think we should have less SnS. Maybe two SnS players and two more powerful weapons. We should have quit while we were ahead. :lol That thing drained all my resources too.

joelseph

Teknoman said:
How do you lure a monster into eating poisoned or tinged meat?

I would like to know this as well. And how do you use traps etc. Just fought and lost my first big fight and didn't know what the heck I was doing.

Teknoman

Traps I can help you with. Not sure if you have to use pitfall on larger enemies (since i've trapped a Royal Ludroth using a shock trap) but you usually fight the monster until its limping or drooling, then place the trap while its either knocked out, or in its path while limping away. The trap should stun it, and then you throw 2 tranq. bombs at it. If the monster is weak enough, it'll fall asleep and you'll have captured it.

From what i've seen, capturing gives more materials/higher chance of getting rare materials...and sometimes its required for quests.

I just figured out how skill points work. This game is really deep and complicated...

In the beginning, should I just not worry about decorations and instead just use whole armor sets? It's too confusing and limiting for me to start mixing and matching armor in an attempt to get different skills. Also, can you remove decorations from armor once you put them in, or is it a permanent thing?

About to kill my first Barroth. I've never seen this thing before, so it should be exciting. Gotta do homework for now, though....

Owzers

Sammy Samusu said:
Killed Barroth five times today! :D

Was helping some friends (and myself, lol) getting past HR8 Urgent Quest. Really tough guy, but it was fun.

Barroth just crushed a 3 person party. Any tips?

joelseph said:
I would like to know this as well. And how do you use traps etc. Just fought and lost my first big fight and didn't know what the heck I was doing.
I don't think status foods are THAT cool, but just leave it on the groung and don't let the monster notice you.

Traps are really easy to use, you just set them and lure the monster until it falls for it.

dsister44

Fistwell said:
Good games all (Selenae here). Who the shit is faust?

faust is windfish and I am kozy

us 3 were doing so well together until the frickin barroth kicked our asses. you free to try again sometime next week?

also if anyone has a stratergy for 'lead the charge' that would be wonderful since it just pwned PAL gaf

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How do you zoom out of the map.

Accidentally having done this and not being able to figure out how to undo it is my first real frustration since booting the game.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Up to the three star missions now off-line. Nothing has given either of us trouble those far; the toughest quest was the Crystal mining quest in the Desert. Damn that drop rate! :lol

Raelson

Hawkian said:
How do you zoom out of the map.

Accidentally having done this and not being able to figure out how to undo it is my first real frustration since booting the game.
Pull up the menu and look below it, it says there.
Y on Classic Controller.

sillymonkey321 said:
Barroth just crushed a 3 person party. Any tips?
Try to put it to sleep (I used Sleep Ammo) and then set some Barrel Bomb L next to it (two per person), then... BOOM! I think it helps a lot.

One other thing that helped us was my friend's Sword and Shield and it's (high!) Paralysis chances, it's not rare and I'm going to guess at least two of your team members are using the SnS set anyway.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Raelson said:
Pull up the menu and look below it, it says there.
Y on Classic Controller.

Thanks, I just didn't think to try that. Can't really think of a time the zoomed map would be useful but maybe it'll come to me. :lol

dsister44 said:
faust is windfish and I am kozy

us 3 were doing so well together until the frickin barroth kicked our asses. you free to try again sometime next week?

also if anyone has a stratergy for 'lead the charge' that would be wonderful since it just pwned PAL gaf

That thing charged the shit out of everyone when I was in the group then when we got back to the pub I was disconnected (Ozoko).

Do I need to get my HR to 8 or do the quests? it winds me up that ive done loads of them and ive cleared all but 2 gathering ones and its still not enough to get the urgent!

Pancho

Qurupancho
What's the best weapon against gigginox or whatshisface, I can't seem to get the hang of him. Using a Switch Axe btw.

And to the poster above me, you need to get to HR8 and do almost all the quests, it's a pain in the ass.

Since i was DLing sc2 beta today i spent all the time waiting while it downloaded playing MH offline and got a TON accomplished. Lagicarus, rathian, large baggi. I have taken the skin of all of them. HOWEVER. I STILL have trouble with barroth. I dont know why when ive one shotted all of the above monsters. I guess hes my kryptonite. Also made some new weapons and planning to make lagiacrus armor for that sharpness skill :D

Can someone explain the elemental damage thing to me? My next sword upgrade will give me some 200 points of poison elemental damage. Is that in addition to the regular attack power? So my sword will practically double in strength once it gets an elemental thing with it?

Top Bottom