• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tenbatsu said:
awesome helpful stuff

Right then! How do I get me one of them Psychic +7 charms? I am totally down to hang on to the Hunter Head and Arm pieces the whole game, I love autotracker that much.

Fistwell said:
Wait, how do repel quest work again? Do you need to kill the thing before a given time otherwise he's just repelled?
Man, that lagiacrus thingy was a pushover... COME BACK HERE YOU!

You just have to give it enough damage when time runs out (best if its before).

Luigiv said:
I don't doubt it, but having an Autotracker enabled set with good defence is always nice to have.

While true i'm too much of the "hard way" person so i always have Paintballs/Psychoserum on me. More time is wasted but it saves me a skill slot for something else.

Tenbatsu said:
Its an earring, consider a helmet. When you equip it, you will activate the skill. You need to fight arena mode to get those items to make it. I personally will not sacrifice a piece of armor just to activate auto tracking, not worth it at all. Just stock up on Psychoserum.

Also you don't need to look at full set armor, you just need to know which set of armor have the skill then you mix and match with charm to activate it. You can even mix and match with your hunter suit too.

Example:
Hunter Helmet - Psychic +4
Hunter Arm - Psychic +5
Charm - Psychic +7 (provided you can get it)
7 + 5 + 4 =16 Auto tracker activated

From the above example, you only need two armors parts to activate auto tracker with a charm of Psychic +7, its so simple. You can even add in decorations to your Hunter helmet/arm if you do not have a charm with Psychic +7 which is example 2.

Example 2:
Hunter Helmet (1 slot) - Psychic +4 + Psychic Decoration + 2 = 6
Hunter Arm (1 slot) - Psychic +5 + Psychic Decoration + 2 = 7
7 + 6 =13

Example 2 shows that you only need 2 more points which is one Psychic Decoration attached to another armor part or a charm with Psychic + 2 to activate Auto tracker.

Hence, its not recommend to wear full armor set from a particular monster in MH3 as it limit the skill that you can have.

I see they're more generous with the latent skill numbers now, plus with the charms i can now see the benefits of mixing armors to get what you want.

awesome.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just had my first battle with MHTri's version of Rathalos.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I hate to use the word "epic", but that's exactly what the fight with the King of the Skies was. Took 40+ minutes, went through all my box supplies, all the sub supplies, AND almost all the supplies I brought with me. Just an awesome, intense battle. He didn't KO me once, but he came damn close.

Man that was just...AWESOME.

Tenbatsu

Hawkian said:
Right then! How do I get me one of them Psychic +7 charms? I am totally down to hang on to the Hunter Head and Arm pieces the whole game, I love autotracker that much.
Try using example 2 for the moment and build up another skill that you would like to have with the remaining armors. Charms are random from mining and after quest rewards. You might not even get the charm you want in your entire playtime thou, it's all depends on luck :/

Brannon

Tenbatsu said:
Try using example 2 for the moment and build up another skill that you would like to have with the remaining armors. Charms are random from mining and after quest rewards. You might not even get the charm you want in your entire playtime thou, it's all depends on luck :/

THE PIG...

...may or may not influence quest rewards. Are they ever going to tell us?

mclem

At what point should I feel brave enough to venture online? I think I'm through the bulk of the tutorial things, but don't want to be a liability to any party I end up in. Just done the first guild quest.

I'll post my hunter code when that's sorted.

dsister44 said:
thats 20:15 GMT time i presume
Hey, just got online. I'll keep an eye on this thread for MH meetups. I'm in france (GMT+2).
Europe - H111N6 - Selenae (Fistwell)*

So lost right now.

mclem said:
At what point should I feel brave enough to venture online? I think I'm through the bulk of the tutorial things, but don't want to be a liability to any party I end up in. Just done the first guild quest.

I'll post my hunter code when that's sorted.
Meh, don't worry about it. I'm just messing around, havent touched online yet, come over!!
Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40 / city 40

Leezard

So, I have a demo for Monster Hunter 1 for PS2. It let me try some different weapons and do a single quest, that is kill 3 velocipreys. How representative is this short amount of play of MH3?

There were problems with the camera, the inventory might be a bit on the small side and the monsters were far from hard. I don't really think it made a decision about getting MH3 any hardder or easier, really. MH3 sounds fun and all, I'm just not sure whether to buy it or to just skip it and wait for SMG2.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
As a person who can literally wreck shit with the hammer, I tried the Switch Axe for the first time last night and ....

...omg

Im in love.

That thing is the destroyer of worlds, not looking back!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Leezard said:
MH3 sounds fun and all, I'm just not sure whether to buy it or to just skip it and wait for SMG2.

I can offer no real assistance other than to say that if you do get MH3 you will likely be playing it until SMG2 comes out and beyond.

Seraphis Cain said:
Just had my first battle with MHTri's version of Rathalos.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I hate to use the word "epic", but that's exactly what the fight with the King of the Skies was. Took 40+ minutes, went through all my box supplies, all the sub supplies, AND almost all the supplies I brought with me. Just an awesome, intense battle. He didn't KO me once, but he came damn close.

Man that was just...AWESOME.
Really? Im not sure if the called beasts are weaker but I beat up the Rathian that gets summoned by the bird and its has a few new moves but its still dodge, headsmash, roll out of the way alot.

Neo C. said:
Damn, I forgot in Switzerland it's GMT+2.

Ok, how about now? Otherwise 18:15 GMT is fine as well.
I would do some huntin' with ya, but I don't have a keyboard or Wiispeak yet -- which means I will only write the bare necessities. :I

Neo C.

slaughterking said:
I would do some huntin' with ya, but I don't have a keyboard or Wiispeak yet -- which means I will only write the bare necessities. :I
Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

Join in.

Teknoman

So I decided to do a quick Qurupecco capture village mission last night, after getting the Royal Claw SnS. Really destroying the monster, so I got a little overconfident...and didnt pay attention when it made a call that i've never heard before. Guess what showed up.

Barely made it out of the area alive, never faught a Rathian before, so had no idea they could move that fast :lol

I've got the base camp completed, tried out fighting/hunting underwater, been farming items and hunting some of the local fauna, trying out some of the different weapons as well as screwing around with weapon/armor upgrading. Once I complete a few of the offline quests and nab some slightly better gear I think I'll be ready to dive in to the online experience. Plus I'll finally get to try out my Wii Speak and see if it's a worth while investment or if I'll be buying that wireless keyboard.

Tri seems a little less comprehensive than Freedom Unite. It has been guiding me along decently enough, but I really liked and kind of miss FU's training school, specifically the lessons where you could try out each of the different weapon types and fool around with all of the various items without spending your own money.

Question, does the speed at which you can wield the great sword ever increase? So far I've just used the sword and shield combo and the great sword. The great sword was so slow and awkward to wield that it made hitting the smaller, more agile critters kind of difficult. I've pretty much just stuck with the sword/shield combo since.

I've put 10 or so hours into this game and slew a great Jaggi now they want me to trap one but to get the right items I have to combine a dozen or so things apparently. Kinda put off by that. Why not just let me buy the items? Seems like an artificial way to lengthen the game.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
robut said:
I've put 10 or so hours into this game and slew a great Jaggi now they want me to trap one but to get the right items I have to combine a dozen or so things apparently. Kinda put off by that. Why not just let me buy the items? Seems like an artificial way to lengthen the game.

The quest supplies will give you what you need to trap him.

Pietepiet

Decided to replace my Hammer with a Switchaxe, my god am I glad I've done that. Such an awesome weapon! Suddenly, Qurupeco wasn't so hard anymore. Took down Royal Ludroth on my first try too :) That one is my favourite fight so far.

windfish

Neo C. said:
Damn, I forgot in Switzerland it's GMT+2.

Ok, how about now? Otherwise 18:15 GMT is fine as well.

damn iam too late... 4/4:( i ll play at other cities now let me know if you need a fourth hunter...

I'm not bothering the hide "spoilers" if no one else is, and this is from early on anyway.

Here's some things of note from my end:

Yesterday I took on one of the underwater Lv 1 quests... and surprisingly met the BIG GUY HIMSELF!!!

But was I like "SHIIIIIIT!!!" when it started coming after me, I ACTUALLY managed to get its Info before it caught up to me and I went back to the previous area, and the big battle music playing for the first time (even though I watched lots of Demo footage on YouTube) made my heart race! :lol :D

Right now I'm using the Soldier's Dagger.

I just finished the Great Jaggi quest, and have most of the materials to get the Commander's Dagger. I just need that other Ore which I forget the name of, maybe I'll find that in the new region?

Neo C.

windfish said:
damn iam too late... 4/4:( i ll play at other cities now let me know if you need a fourth hunter...
I'm out. You can join in. :)

Edit: I don't get the wii speak. Why didn't I hear anybody?
Edit2: Duh, didn't realize that nobody had wii speak. :p

Mardak

Hero of Legend said:
I just finished the Great Jaggi quest, and have most of the materials to get the Commander's Dagger. I just need that other Ore which I forget the name of, maybe I'll find that in the new region?
I believe you can find some in the last area of the first island.. room 12?

windfish said:
Dude, everybody left but me! I'm up for anything.

Neon C: man, you had me SCREAMING over here!
"NO, NO, DONT KILL IT!!! COME HERE! LOOK AT EM TRAPS!!!"

:)
Good times.

Neo C.

Fistwell said:
Dude, everybody left but me! I'm up for anything.

Neon C: man, you had me SCREAMING over here!
"NO, NO, DONT KILL IT!!! COME HERE! LOOK AT EM TRAPS!!!"

:)
Good times.
Sorry dude. :D

If anyone is wondering who that Hauer guy was, that barely hit the enemy but was devastating for his own team....yep, that was me. I'm not sure if hammer + me + online play is such a good fit anymore. :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, I swear, I just had the most amazing hunt ever. Not because it was a long, epic battle like the Rathalos hunt, though.

Me and three others versus Lagiacrus, 2* Urgent. The fight goes about par for the course for the first several minutes.

Then Lagi goes up on the shore.

One of the team eventually lays a pitfall trap, and Lagi gets caught in it. And of course we all start raging on him. However, all three of my teammates are using Paralyze element weapons. Somehow, the paralyze effect kicks in while Lagi is in the pitfall trap.

And he passes the fuck out.

In all my 300+ hours of playing MH, I have never seen a monster get so messed up that it just straight up passes the fuck out. So we wail on it mercilessly for what had to be at least a minute straight while it was passed out. Then as soon as he FINALLY breaks out of the trap, we stun him right away. Eventually he finally gets up and limps back into the water. We catch up with him in Area 11, lay the shock trap, and capture him.

I just...I've never seen a monster get owned as hard as we owned Lagiacrus. Salza, Itachi, PopFairy, if you read this, you guys are awesome. Thank you for helping me have the absolute best hunt ever.

Neo C.

slaughterking said:
If anyone is wondering who that Hauer guy was, that barely hit the enemy but was devastating for his own team....yep, that was me. I'm not sure if hammer + me + online play is such a good fit anymore. :lol
And who's the fourth guy?

Ok guys i checked the wiki and couldnt find this out. What is the best way to get Monster Bone L Ive just started the 4 star quests. I managed to get 1 from somewhere but damned if i can remember where. Any help is much appreciated.

botticus

Hero of Legend said:
Malachite Ore? You should find that in a handful of places through Moga Woods, I had 8 by the time I got my Great Jaggi loot. Commander's Dagger is good stuff, doesn't take so long to kill random beasties.

Can you carve from captured monsters, or do I need to redo the Great Jaggi-killing mission again for his goods?

I was starting to think Crystal Bones didn't exist, then discovered later that they're rocks. :lol Luckily that one had a subquest so I could get something out of my 50 minutes.

botticus said:
Malachite Ore? You should find that in a handful of places through Moga Woods, I had 8 by the time I got my Great Jaggi loot. Commander's Dagger is good stuff, doesn't take so long to kill random beasties.

Can you carve from captured monsters, or do I need to redo the Great Jaggi-killing mission again for his goods?

I was starting to think Crystal Bones didn't exist, then discovered later that they're rocks. :lol Luckily that one had a subquest so I could get something out of my 50 minutes.

You'll get Great Jaggi parts as a reward for Capturing him if you do that quest.

botticus

DeaconKnowledge said:
You'll get Great Jaggi parts as a reward for Capturing him if you do that quest.
Ah that's right.

I kinda want to work towards the Rhenoplos armor. That stuff is just ridiculous.

Ogni-XR21

Probably late to the rant but OMG Wii Speak is only good for "OK", "Yes" and "No" as well as the occasional laugh.

I've heard people complain about the sound quality but this is worse than what I imagined. Real conversations are almost impossible. I'm just glad that you can use an USB keyboard...

Ogni-XR21 said:
Probably late to the rant but OMG Wii Speak is only good for "OK", "Yes" and "No" as well as the occasional laugh.

I've heard people complain about the sound quality but this is worse than what I imagined. Real conversations are almost impossible. I'm just glad that you can use an USB keyboard...
I do wish they never bothered adding it tbh. Its not personal-ish like with a headset ala xbox live and now you get a massive city area for 4 people and it just seems empty to me.

Ogni-XR21

jaundicejuice said:
At what distance are people sitting away from their Wii Speak?

Mine is appr. 1.5 - 2 meters away (1 - 3 meters is suggested in the booklet). Sound quality is ok when I record messages in the Wii Speak Channel but online it's really hard to understand. Maybe Wii Speak just doesn't like German.

Btw. another kind of annyoing thing is that I have a qwerty keyboard even though I'm used to using a qwertz one. The price you pay when you play your games in English only, I guess...

Van Owen

Banned
Shit, I had the great jaggi limping, caught it in an electro trap, quickly switched to my tranq bombs and threw them all at it, but it seems to still be fine. Fuck. :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hero of Legend said:
Yesterday I took on one of the underwater Lv 1 quests... and surprisingly met the BIG GUY HIMSELF!!!

But was I like "SHIIIIIIT!!!" when it started coming after me, I ACTUALLY managed to get its Info before it caught up to me

Ah man, I wish I'd thought of that! The Monster Notes feature, including how awkward it is to do while using the CCPro, is incredibly addictive for me... really hits that Pokemon spot.

Van Owen said:
Shit, I had the great jaggi limping, caught it in an electro trap, quickly switched to my tranq bombs and threw them all at it, but it seems to still be fine. Fuck. :lol

If it makes a difference, I think you need to hit him in the head with the bombs.

Top Bottom