• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Dreavus

Fun times guys. That was the fastest G. Jaggi capture I've ever seen! :lol

I gotta head off to work, I'll be on later tonight though!

Teknoman

I really dont like Gobul. Also couldnt figure out where to fish him out...

What happens if you use a water based weapon against a water based monster? Less/reduced damage, or just no additional weakness damage effects?

I took a moment and ripped out the Wii Speak Logo from the MH3 box from GDC:

Wii%20Speak%20Logo.png

Pancho

Qurupancho
autobzooty said:
Can someone explain the elemental damage thing to me? My next sword upgrade will give me some 200 points of poison elemental damage. Is that in addition to the regular attack power? So my sword will practically double in strength once it gets an elemental thing with it?

If a monster is weak against that element it will get damaged more, otherwise it doesn't do anything. You don't have to worry about any monster being resistant to an element.

Teknoman said:

What happens if you use a water based weapon against a water based monster? Less/reduced damage, or just no additional weakness damage effects?

All elemental weapons add to the base damage being dealt, its just you dont get any bonuses from it unless the its the monsters weakness.

Also, remember people: Raw Damage > Elemental is the grand scheme of things.

Pancho said:
If a monster is weak against that element it will get damaged more, otherwise it doesn't do anything. You don't have to worry about any monster being resistant to an element.

Correct me if im wrong, but poison and paralysis work like a meter correct? Each hit adds to a hidden amount and eventually when that monsters limit is reached, it gets poisoned or paralyzed?

oracrest

Gamer @ Heart said:
Correct me if im wrong, but poison and paralysis work like a meter correct? Each hit adds to a hidden amount and eventually when that monsters limit is reached, it gets poisoned or paralyzed?

pretty much, yeah

oracrest said:
pretty much, yeah

Sweet, thanks.

Also, i have meet several douches online today. The starter of a Giant Baggi quest didnt join in until right before we killed him. It didnt help that the 4th guy didnt move from the starter area the whole time. After we killed it me and the other guy didnt bother to carve and just made sure the fucker couldnt get a carve in.

That same d-bag spammed "lay a trap" over and over again every fight to cap monsters and never brought any himself. God i wish i had a keyboard so i could have told him off.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Remfin said:
Sorry about leaving right after we failed that quest guys, I really had no more time :(

Barroth can bite me. We went the full 50 minutes, hitting it on its weak points with 4 players and...still didn't kill it. WTF?

I was so hoping we'd have him at the end and have a hero of a story. Oh well, I learned how to charge the Great Sword with the Wiimote, so we can go at him again and hopefully cut his head off when he's sleeping next time.

dsister44

Johnlenham said:
That thing charged the shit out of everyone when I was in the group then when we got back to the pub I was disconnected (Ozoko).

Do I need to get my HR to 8 or do the quests? it winds me up that ive done loads of them and ive cleared all but 2 gathering ones and its still not enough to get the urgent!

well i only just got HR8 so its not too bad. anywya to be able to do lead the charge you need to be HR 8 and have done 'sunken treasures' 'help the hunter' 'playing with fire' 'the fisherman's tale' and then an urgent quest section will appear. we will have to have another crack at it

butzopower said:
I was so hoping we'd have him at the end and have a hero of a story. Oh well, I learned how to charge the Great Sword with the Wiimote, so we can go at him again and hopefully cut his head off when he's sleeping next time.

What weapon are you guys using? If you want to cut his crown off you should use blunt weapon damage.

Pit fall trap him, and have a hammer go all fucking out on his head and you should be good.

Also, bring water element weapons as it will make the mud armor fall off much much faster meaning you will do more damage faster.

Pancho said:

So you ONLY get the damage bonus if the monster is weak to that element? Otherwise it has no effect?

autobzooty said:
So you ONLY get the damage bonus if the monster is weak to that element? Otherwise it has no effect?

No dude.

Elemental damage gets factored in to a hit regardless of whether its weak to it or not and makes a hit stronger. However, it does more damage if it the monster is weak to it.

autobzooty said:
Can someone explain the elemental damage thing to me? My next sword upgrade will give me some 200 points of poison elemental damage. Is that in addition to the regular attack power? So my sword will practically double in strength once it gets an elemental thing with it?

Say a sword has 563 raw damage and 200 thunder damage. That elemental damage does not work the same way as the weapons raw attack power. When the damage is calculated after a hit it does only a percentage of that elemental score plus a bonus if the monster is weak to it. The Raw score gets divided by a number as well but is significantly less meaning it does more damage % wise than elemental.

Also, poison and para work differently than the other types. Dragon is special in that it is sometime required to break of parts from certain monsters.

Damage is calculated by using the strength of a weapon + elemental + (your stat bonuses and more) subtracted by the armor value for the monsters body part. (This chart is for slash/cut damage only). You want to hit it where you can maximize your damage obviously and this can be achieved more easily by breaking off its armor if possible like Lagiacrus's chest.

The benefit of elemental damage of course is that it avoids the armor value of a monsters body part but at the cost of doing less damage than a weapons basic raw score when its calculated in.

I hope i help somebody out there. I know its alot to take in.

Poyunch

Wow thanks to everyone I've played online these past couple days/nights. All those runs with R. Ludroth makes me so comfortable fighting him. Granted I still have to use a bunch of Mega Potions but I'm much better than what I was originally pre-online quests. I'm now almost done with my R. Ludroth armor set. I just need the coat thing. :D

Just a reminder, first journal hunt goes down Monday (tomorrow). I'm relocating to:
Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40
I'll create an open city at 6:30 CST
Look for Khory.
I'll do one hunt then head off to write my notes, though I'll potentially head back on just for fun later.

This will basically be my pattern every other day until the journal ends. Hope to see you there!

Edit: Note on Wii-Speak

It will be part of my review so I'm hoping to put it through the paces, but it's no longer mandatory. Just be warned I have no keyboard so if you want to communicate textually with me please be patient. I am s l o w with the in game type pad and I do not have quick access to a computer where my Wii is located so that's out too.

Teknoman

DragonGirl said:
Just a reminder, first journal hunt goes down Monday (tomorrow). I'm relocating to:
Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40
I'll create an open city at 6:30 CST
Look for Khory.
I'll do one hunt then head off to write my notes, though I'll potentially head back on just for fun later.

This will basically be my pattern every other day until the journal ends. Hope to see you there!

I'll set up a Steam event as a reminder.

EDIT: I really dont like how the Qurupecco Tomahawk's shield (SnS set) looks...but its the highest damage weapon I have right now :lol

Brannon

Remfin said:
Sorry about leaving right after we failed that quest guys, I really had no more time :(

Barroth can bite me. We went the full 50 minutes, hitting it on its weak points with 4 players and...still didn't kill it. WTF?

Your current equipment vs Barroth may be too weak to outright kill it, but maybe you can weaken it enough to use a Shock Trap + Tranquilizer Bombs against it (don't use Pitfall Traps; they don't work against monsters that can dig).

EDIT: Also if you're going against Barroth, have everybody bring two Large Barrel Bombs and a small barrel bomb, and have somebody tranquilize it somehow. Then everybody place the large bombs around the body, then the small bomb (or just throw something at the large bombs) and that should help out a lot.

Brannon

Just realized something; I could probably keep Qurepeco from flying away to another zone if I keep on his tail while he's limping and plant a Bounce Bomb in his shadow right when he takes off...

I must test this...

john tv

Brannon said:
Just realized something; I could probably keep Qurepeco from flying away to another zone if I keep on his tail while he's limping and plant a Bounce Bomb in his shadow right when he takes off...

I must test this...
Nothing feels better than having a trap waiting for him right where he's gonna land when he first appears! sprsk did it yesterday, was awesome. Totally gang-raped him as soon as he arrived. :D

botticus

Safe to say I suck at trapping monsters. If Jaggi is only staying in the shock trap for 10 seconds or so, does that mean he's not weak enough? Or is that all the time you ever have to keep them in a trap?

On the bright side, I made sure to break his head before messing around with that, and got my first King's Frill! (after quitting via subquest)

Any tips for solo barroth? I just spent a ton of time fighting him only to blow it in the end of it all. He was about to die too. :(

I'm using Assassin's Dagger (SnS) and full Rhenoplos gear. That gives me immunity to being covered in mud, which came in handy. SnS is nice against him too because it's easier to maneuver around him when he runs so fast.

Teknoman

So whats the benefit in using a pitfall trap vs shock trap? Also still need to know how to get something to eat status effect meat.

Teknoman

d0c_zaius said:
i believe shock traps work more places

room for 1 more HR9+ !

edit: nevermind heh

Yeah i've seen shock traps used underwater, but I thought you had to use pitfall on certain large monsters...now im not sure if thats the case.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Beat Qurepeco now, will work on trapping it tomorrow, but I don't think it will be a huge problem. I'm sure the difficulty to about to amp up soon. :D

botticus said:
Safe to say I suck at trapping monsters. If Jaggi is only staying in the shock trap for 10 seconds or so, does that mean he's not weak enough? Or is that all the time you ever have to keep them in a trap?

On the bright side, I made sure to break his head before messing around with that, and got my first King's Frill! (after quitting via subquest)

Doesn't matter if he is weak or not, they only don't stay caught in the shock trap for very long. Best way to tell if they are weak is if they are limping when they walk.

botticus

RapidCancel said:
Doesn't matter if he is weak or not, they only don't stay caught in the shock trap for very long. Best way to tell if they are weak is if they are limping when they walk.
Ugh. Yeah, he was pretty beat up at the time. I got him in a trap (which is usually easy since by the time I get the trap set up he's either kicking my ass or very close to it) then by the time I can get reoriented and pick a tranq bomb, he's already loose.

Just took him down in Moga Woods (scouring for commodities) and I couldn't finish carving him before I was knocked out by a half dozen Jaggis, Giggis, and bugs. Stupid mating season.

gotee12

EvilMario said:
Beat Qurepeco now, will work on trapping it tomorrow, but I don't think it will be a huge problem.
That's what I thought. Until he'd flown to another quadrant just after I'd laid my trap TWO FRIGGIN' TIMES IN A ROW. Stupid bird. And then the third time the great jaggi he summoned tripped the trap instead. I learned to make/take several shock traps with me for that quest...

botticus

I just put together a lance to try out since I'm stuck with my current SnS for a while... I kinda like it. The slow walk is going to be the hardest thing to adjust to, and I'll have to figure out all the attacks. Having the slice attack is nice in addition to the poking. Of course while I was testing it out and digging for some more commodities, Jaggi showed up again and made quick work of me. Luckily I wasn't planning to save at that point anyway - not sure if I want to use two of my Jaggi Claws on the lance or save them for armor.

I didn't get to play as much as I wanted to this weekend, but I can't complain having gotten through all but one of the 2-star quests. I'm really enjoying this more than I thought I would. And I haven't even played it online yet, which was the impetus for the purchase.

evangd007

autobzooty said:
Any tips for solo barroth? I just spent a ton of time fighting him only to blow it in the end of it all. He was about to die too. :(

I'm using Assassin's Dagger (SnS) and full Rhenoplos gear. That gives me immunity to being covered in mud, which came in handy. SnS is nice against him too because it's easier to maneuver around him when he runs so fast.

See if you can upgrade to Royal Claw SnS. It has water element which destroys his mud armor like its nothing.

forrest

formerly nacire
Gamer @ Heart said:
Raw Damage > Elemental

What about Raw Damage vs. Sharpness. I'm curious due to crafted weapon selection and whether or not I should aim for higher damage or better sharpness.

Oli

Can you get the Game+Controller Bundle with a white CCPro? I don't really want black, since all my other Wii stuff is white.

Nimyh

Banned
Teknoman said:
Also still need to know how to get something to eat status effect meat.
From what I saw, you just have to wear it out. When the monster's stamina is low it looks for something to eat. Worked with Great Jaggi.

Man, I've been killing Great Jaggies left and right, my last even without healing or repowering up ONCE! :lol

Helps I now have all Lv 3 Jaggi Armour, from head to toe. :D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
gotee12 said:
That's what I thought. Until he'd flown to another quadrant just after I'd laid my trap TWO FRIGGIN' TIMES IN A ROW. Stupid bird. And then the third time the great jaggi he summoned tripped the trap instead. I learned to make/take several shock traps with me for that quest...

Indeed, his summons I imagine will be the biggest pain. I'll have to stock up on traps too. If I can put one in a known 'spawning' spot, for when he moves to his nest, it might work out.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Buggy Loop said:
Got pwned by Barroth, i guess my jaggi armor set doesnt cut it, he's hard with great sword too.

Get the Rhenoplos armor set, it negates the mud/snow status thing.

So is anyone looking for players to play? I'd love to join:D

Luigiv

Teknoman said:
So whats the benefit in using a pitfall trap vs shock trap? Also still need to know how to get something to eat status effect meat.
Pitfall traps are more effective on most monsters.

Tenbatsu

Brannon said:
THE PIG...

...may or may not influence quest rewards. Are they ever going to tell us?
Not. Cat food will thou.

jaundicejuice said:
Question, does the speed at which you can wield the great sword ever increase? So far I've just used the sword and shield combo and the great sword. The great sword was so slow and awkward to wield that it made hitting the smaller, more agile critters kind of difficult. I've pretty much just stuck with the sword/shield combo since.
No it will never increase.

Seraphis Cain said:
I just...I've never seen a monster get owned as hard as we owned Lagiacrus. Salza, Itachi, PopFairy, if you read this, you guys are awesome. Thank you for helping me have the absolute best hunt ever.
Next time I will share with you videos of how japanese players slaughtered every monsters in the game in 10sec - 3mins:lol

kafka rock opera said:
Ok guys i checked the wiki and couldnt find this out. What is the best way to get Monster Bone L Ive just started the 4 star quests. I managed to get 1 from somewhere but damned if i can remember where. Any help is much appreciated.
You can only get it as reward or carve from big monsters.

Raging Spaniard said:
Question for the dudes who have Monster Hunted in the past:

Ive been doing pretty well (about a 150 hrs on MH 2) so I havent had to grind for weapons or armor since Ive been killing shit left and right ... but now the weapons I have just dont have enough sharpness to make a dent the current crop of bosses, I guess my only option is to just suck it up and grind for items uh?
Nope, but rather they want you to play around with armor skills. Hint: Mind's Eye?

Cruceh said:
Whats the point of capturing monsters?
Capturing monsters yield more rewards than killing it. You can even capture in a kill quest.

Teknoman said:
How do you lure a monster into eating poisoned or tinged meat?
Its random, it will eat if it is tired. You can see saliva dripping from their mouth. But they might avoid it too. It depends really.

autobzooty said:
In the beginning, should I just not worry about decorations and instead just use whole armor sets? It's too confusing and limiting for me to start mixing and matching armor in an attempt to get different skills. Also, can you remove decorations from armor once you put them in, or is it a permanent thing?
You only start mixing when you have plenty of charms in your item box. Just wear full set in the beginning.

Teknoman said:
Flooded Forest Area 4.

Teknoman said:
You can stun or KO a monster in a pitfall trap.

Alex

The new Rathlos is pretty anti-melee. Revenge mode for all of the plate farming I guess. Two deaths from me trying to slum it with a Switch-Axe and one death from a friend getting caught in that new psychotic fire attack for the first wipe of the game. :lol

Going back to bowgun, we dropped it effortlessly next time. Ho hum, I'll just stick to range. I want to experiment more with the gun parts but early on the deviation between them is kinda small. When I get on next though I'd like to try the combo of that Jaggi piece with the rapidfire and the Barroth barrel. Although the range on that thing is really going to mess with me at first.

I tried arena mode with my sister today and we killed the stupid barroth after 40 minutes... She's a gunner and I used the GS. Half the time was spent running around waiting for him to stop raging:lol GS is not ideal for that monster...

Oh, and Royal Ludroth was easy to kill! Poor chacha died but then came back:D I love him. And now I regret killing the RL because I still have other 3 star quests to complete and his monkey face will be in the area from now on *sigh*

Top Bottom