• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Tenbatsu

Hawkian said:
I can reliably paralyze a monster pretty much anything with Para ammo. I was hunting a Great Jaggi and the subquest to "Stun" it was not activated when I paralyzed him in this way. I never saw him get stars around his head, so I think that might be what the game considers "stun." Maybe there is someting else I'm missing.
Try out all the bullets :)

Van Owen

Banned
54-46! said:
Get the Jaggi armor, only need to kill the Great Jaggi four times or something to complete the set.
Alright, I'll see what remaining items I need tomorrow.

I assume my bone greatsword with no upgrades is going to need to be replaced soon aswell. :lol

selig

Banned
question: If you change to another armor, is there any reason to keep the old one? can you combine it with another armor later, or is it best to sell it?

Tenbatsu

Hawkian said:
Huh? :( What would stun besides Para ammo?
In the game stun = KO. Para = Paralyze. Guess i should change my bad habit :/

selig said:
question: If you change to another armor, is there any reason to keep the old one? can you combine it with another armor later, or is it best to sell it?
Keep them. You never know when you need them for skills mixing later on.

Mafro

This charted at number 5 in the UK individual formats chart this week, beaten by Conviction, Just Dance, GTA IV Episodes and Wii Fit Plus. Number 1 in the Wii chart, predictably.

Tenbatsu

Hawkian said:
???

aaaah brain aneurysm
From now onwards we will refer:

1. Stun to stars around the head
2. Paralyze to be electricity around the monster

Sorry for the confusion, its just my bad habit:lol

Mafro said:
This charted at number 5 in the UK all formats chart this week, beaten by Conviction, Just Dance, GTA IV Episodes and Wii Fit Plus. Number 1 in the Wii chart, predictably.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Both actually.
V

selig

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
Keep them. You never know when you need them for skills mixing later on.

Do you mean "keep them, because you might need a certain armor´s skills" or "keep them, because you can mix the armor itself with something else to gain new skills"?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
selig said:
Do you mean "keep them, because you might need a certain armor´s skills" or "keep them, because you can mix the armor itself with something else to gain new skills"?

I am wagering the former.

Also, #5 top selling game is a niche online hardcore Action-RPG on the Wii? :D

Finally... poor Gamespot :lol (old, but I didn't see it posted in this thread)
Gamespot reviewer said:
Hi all! I know some of you must be incredibly curious to see what we think of Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii. We originally anticipated having a review up for you tomorrow morning (the US embargo lifts at 9 a.m. on 4/20), but as it happens, the fates were not kind enough to be in our corner. Capcom sent us a version of the game playable only on a debug unit--that is, a developer Wii unit that can play final code burned to DVDs that have not yet undergone the retail manufacturing process. Unfortunately, a number of outlets, including GameSpot, could not take part in scheduled online sessions due to limitations of certain debug units. And as you may know, Monster Hunter's online component is an integral part of the experience.

In the meanwhile, we also ran into difficulties getting a retail copy of the game from Capcom. We finally received a retail copy today, though the game's online servers will not be activated until later tonight. Because saved games and character data from the debug version can't be transferred to a retail version, this means starting the game from the beginning and replaying large chunks of it. It'll take some time, but I wanted to assure you that I'm spending lots of time with Monster Hunter Tri, and we'll have a review for you as soon as is feasible.

I'll be taking screens and video throughout the week, so keep an eye on the gamespace. I'll also get up some early impressions later this week so you have something to chew on until the review is published. And should you have any questions, don't hesitate to message me. In fact, if you pick up the game before the review is up, message me and maybe we can get some co-op in. Until then, I appreciate your patience!

Wonder what they'll give it after all that.

EDIT: It's also the #2 most popular game across all platforms on Gamespot right now, under Starcraft II. A PC game and a Wii game... :lol

Wired

I'm at a loss as to when I'll be able to get the Switch Axe in offline mode. I've beaten all lv2 quests and done the urgent lv2 as well (Shakalaka Savior!). Currently I'm working my way through some lv3s but I'm still not able to get the Switch Axe... what am I missing?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen a lot of advertising for this in Australia, weirdly.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sweden is BOMBARDED with advertisement.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
GOD F'KING FDAMNITED!

My Wii's disc drive went bust!

I plop the disc in and NUTHIN!

gferfdfldfsjkl moving parts w!$!"·R%"· cartridges rule !"$"·F"·%&" modern consoles

john tv

Wired said:
I'm at a loss as to when I'll be able to get the Switch Axe in offline mode. I've beaten all lv2 quests and done the urgent lv2 as well (Shakalaka Savior!). Currently I'm working my way through some lv3s but I'm still not able to get the Switch Axe... what am I missing?
Did you talk to the weapon dude over by the entrance to the woods? Maybe you have to do some other stuff first, not sure (village resources and the like). I'm at about the same point as you, but I'm pretty sure it's unlocked for me. Or maybe I'm just imagining everything. Who am I again?

Wired

john tv said:
Did you talk to the weapon dude over by the entrance to the woods? Maybe you have to do some other stuff first, not sure (village resources and the like). I'm at about the same point as you, but I'm pretty sure it's unlocked for me. Or maybe I'm just imagining everything. Who am I again?

The blacksmith? yes. I'm getting annoyed :p

Oli said:
Can you get the Game+Controller Bundle with a white CCPro? I don't really want black, since all my other Wii stuff is white.
I don't think there's a white CCPRO, not even in Japan.

And, ooooooooooh...

egb7f4.jpg

<3

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sammy Samusu said:
I don't think there's a white CCPRO, not even in Japan.

316xor5.jpg

Boggle.

gar beaten like eggs for a souffle

EDIT:

Wired said:
The blacksmith? yes. I'm getting annoyed :p

You're completely unable to go online, even just to grab the Axe then log off?

Londa

Banned
when I get home from school I'll be playing this. Not sure if I want to do online. I kind of felt like I was too weak of a player last time. I'll prolly fool around in offline.

Haunted

The game's combat system had me convinced of its depth when I switched from SnS to Switch-Axe and then once more to lance (just for the fight against that damn Barroth) and realised how each of them require such a vastly different approach to enemy encounters, yet are all well-balanced and absolutely effective in their own way.

Kudos, Capcom, kudos.

Shiggy said:
Japan-only
wiiclassicconprow.jpg
My bad, should have know better than doubt NCL awesomeness.

Mafro said:
This charted at number 5 in the UK individual formats chart this week, beaten by Conviction, Just Dance, GTA IV Episodes and Wii Fit Plus. Number 1 in the Wii chart, predictably.
Great! Press release also says best launch sales for the Monster Hunter series. Now waiting for NPD, let's put this shit up there! :D

wsippel

Banned
Mafro said:
How can it be number 1 in the Wii charts if it was beaten by two other Wii games?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wired said:
Well I could go online I suppose but I'd rather unlock it the right way, kind of annoying.

I don't know if it's to encourage online play or what, but it is available from the online blacksmith from the start of the game it seems.

wsippel said:
How can it be number 1 in the Wii charts if it was beaten by two other Wii games?

Glad someone asked this so I didn't have to :lol

[Nintex]

wsippel said:
Maybe combined SKU's, there was a regular version, the classic controller pro version and the Collectors Edition bundle.

Gwanatu T

Lonely1 said:
It looks also kinda dirty and Blurry on my Samsung 44in CRT. So, i guess not.

It's the same with my Samsung 34-inch 1080i CRT too. Usually Wii games look fine, but this one is a little blurry. No matter, it still looks really nice for a Wii game.

I played for a whole 9 hours this weekend, got to HR7, also got a full set of Jaggi armor and the Ludroth Splashhammer. So far this is my favorite in the series, making this my favorite game of all time. We all joke about game of the forever, but this is a real contender for sure.

Bankoiia

Played about 2-3 hours now and I really dig it. Just completed the first shroom-quest, so I look forward to checking out the online stuff pretty soon. It's not too early, right?

And yeah, it does look a little blurry on my TV, and I had to lower the sharpness to 0 in order to read the tiny text. Just pet peeves on my part, I do think the game looks great overall.

Wired

dsister44 said:
I literally just got the switch axe myself. I believe you have to unlock the 3* quest 'lead the charge' and then go talk to the blacksmith

Found this:

SWITCH AXE- complete urgent quest that unlocks 3* quests. when the traveling trade guy comes to town he teaches the black smith how to make the switch axe.
LONG SWORD- Complete urgent quest that unlocks 4* quests. when the trader comes in town once again he teaches the black smith about long swords...

(sleep in your home to make the days go by if the trader guy isnt there)

Gonna give it a try, otherwise online it is :p

windfish

any EU fella online right now?? who wants to help me with the barroth?? :D
i just got the SwitchAxe and killed a great jaggi in like 2 minutes, it is just ripping through everything ....awesome *-*

dsister44

windfish said:
any EU fella online right now?? who wants to help me with the barroth?? :D
i just got the SwitchAxe and killed a great jaggi in like 2 minutes, it is just ripping through everything ....awesome *-*

i'll be on in 20 mins, will u still be on then? (kozy btw)

Haunted

I had problems randomly disconnecting from the servers just now. Getting error code 11668 (which they say is a router problem) yet I could play on the weekend just fine with the same settings.

:/

Londa said:
when I get home from school I'll be playing this. Not sure if I want to do online. I kind of felt like I was too weak of a player last time. I'll prolly fool around in offline.

I could help you out again sometime if you'd like.

Cruceh

Banned
Anyone want to play? I'm like level 1 though and havent played online tho I'm up to the lv2 quests ion single player

edit nvm ill go to bed. 7pm - 7am shifts are killers

Effect

Screen settings. Standard or Wide Screen? Which one do people use?

Finding that while I like seeing more with wide screen the text just becomes to small. I also think the game actually looks better in standard settings. I kept messing around with it to see which one was better but even with that I had to sit closer to the TV then I normally would.

Sticking with Sword and Shield for the time being. Seems to work pretty well. Finding that the weapon I dislike the most is the lance and shield set. I'm assuming that works best in a group setting as it's extremely slow and limiting in terms of attack. The damage most likely has to be high though.

Don't see anything in the OP about it, but getting into a hub and joining others online, is it easy and free of having to use Friend codes? I can just jump on and play with random people around my skill level? Need something long to play over the next few months while I ride exercise bike and game.

Haunted

The damage values on weapons are seriously strange. The Long Sword's spirit attacks feel like they hit much harder than the measly 350 that sword supposedly has.

BattleMonkey said:
Don't see anything in the OP about it, but getting into a hub and joining others online, is it easy and free of having to use Friend codes? I can just jump on and play with random people around my skill level? Need something long to play over the next few months while I ride exercise bike and game.
Yes, yes and yes.

Gino

I was playing with some guys yesterday on the gaf server and I boned up our Capture mission. I used the tranqs early on when the Royal Ludroth fell on his side...

Well, I won't be taking the tranqs next time.

Other than that the online experience has been awesome. I've played with some randoms and some gafers and all have been cool.

Top Bottom