• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Tenbatsu

Wow at your sis! :O

Arena mode is really competitive and fun, you can hit the record time shown with any armors/weapons there be it single or duo. A test of skills!

Teknoman

I think i'll start using pitfall traps first and then shock as a last resort. I'll bring one of each online.

EDIT: Stun = stars around head but whats KO?

Luigiv

Teknoman said:
I think i'll start using pitfall traps first and then shock as a last resort. I'll bring one of each online.

EDIT: Stun = stars around head but whats KO?
No, stun is when they're surrounded by electricity, KO is when they have stars around their head.

Insaniac

anytips on soloing barroth with bowgun? I've been going smoothly with the great jaggi, Quropeco and royal ludroth just fine, but i've been fighting barroth for 20 minuets now and I don't know if I'm doing enough (died twice so far)

is he weak to a certain type of ammo or do I just need to keep at it

I think I spent about 2/3rds of my day cracking out on Tri, only stopping to watch game six of the Kings/Canucks playoff series. But even then I didn't stop with the monster hunting, I dug out Freedom Unite, installed a cache, started a new game and played through a bunch of the training school while I half-watched the 'Nucks down the Kings.

Had another go with co-op...this time with a friend of mine. After, he was doing the Qurupeco catching mission, showing how easy he had at this time...until both a Great Jaggi and Rathian destroyed his confidence! I took some pics with his phone, probably will upload later of him dying by fireball =p

Remfin

Tenbatsu said:
Capturing monsters yield more rewards than killing it. You can even capture in a kill quest.
Well, now I know what to do with that stupid Barroth next time; we had him limping in like 10 minutes it seemed and then spent the next 40 chasing him. If I had known we could capture him it all would've been over much earlier :(

Poyunch

autobzooty said:
Any tips for solo barroth? I just spent a ton of time fighting him only to blow it in the end of it all. He was about to die too. :(

I'm using Assassin's Dagger (SnS) and full Rhenoplos gear. That gives me immunity to being covered in mud, which came in handy. SnS is nice against him too because it's easier to maneuver around him when he runs so fast.
It does? I have full Rhenoplos armor as well but I do remember being covered in mud when I was playing online. Granted sometimes I should have been covered I didn't and I was extremely confused. Maybe it just lowers the chances?

Am I missing something while trying to farm a Lagia horn? I've captured it about 4 times, killed 2 now, broken his head every time, but still nothing. Am I doing something wrong or is it just that low of a drop?

evangd007

alske said:
Nice hunting tonight Brennan and whoever else was in there. Tons of fun. :)

Indeed it was. Sorry for my chronic DCing.

RapidCancel said:
Am I missing something while trying to farm a Lagia horn? I've captured it about 4 times, killed 2 now, broken his head every time, but still nothing. Am I doing something wrong or is it just that low of a drop?

Nope, you just have rotten luck. MH wiki says that the drop rate for the horn when you destroy it is 64%.

Eteric Rice

Okay, I just learned something I'm going to share with the other new players (like myself)

If you're a hammer user and you're about to fight Queripeco, get the bludgeoning mace. If you don't, most of your hits will just bounce off.

Tenbatsu

Teknoman said:
Oh, so shield/hammer attacks KO a monster, and paralysis effects = stun.
Not sure if you know about this, but 5 out of the 7 weapons class can KO a monster.

Insaniac said:
anytips on soloing barroth with bowgun? I've been going smoothly with the great jaggi, Quropeco and royal ludroth just fine, but i've been fighting barroth for 20 minuets now and I don't know if I'm doing enough (died twice so far)

is he weak to a certain type of ammo or do I just need to keep at it
With mud weakness = Water
No Mud weakness = Fire

RapidCancel said:
Luck :(
Back then I killed him 10 times in a row without getting any horn thou I broke them while my friends got them in every match.

Eteric Rice said:
If you're a hammer user and you're about to fight Queripeco, get the bludgeoning mace. If you don't, most of your hits will just bounce off.
You can counter bounce easily by using an armor skill.

Poyunch

Insaniac said:
okay one more question for the night, anywhere i can farm for armorsphere+ ?? I'm on the 3star quests
When creating my Armor set for the Luddy I've received a couple each time I've fought him when completing the Subquests. I think it was Subquest A that rewarded me with some.

And yeah it's official the Royal Ludroth is my favorite monster so far. I've liked it since the trailers more than the other monsters and I just love fighting it so much. Its armor set's pretty snazzy too. :D

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Had a blast playing with some gaffers tonight! Got all the sponge hide I needed to upgrade my sword and shield in that last battle with Royal Ludaroth, thanks guys! :D

I can safely say I am addicted to this game. I just played over 6 hours straight, which I haven't done with a video game since.....god.... almost ever? Only time I can think of with this gen was when I received my Wii for Christmas and played Wii Sports with the family all day long.

Funny thing happened to me in my last quest. I was playing with two other gaffers(?) who both had Wii Speak as well (first time I have seen that), and we were in the middle of smashing a Qurupeco when all of a sudden it rammed me off the cliff of zone 8 and I went tumbling down all the way to zone 5. Had no idea that could happen, and we all laughed our asses off when it happened. But of course the Bird was slain right as I began my trek back to zone 8, and I had to run with all my might to make it back in time to get all the goodies haha.

Man Monster Hunter is awesome, I had no idea what I was missing out on. :lol

Ran into
the beasty from the boxart
during an unrelated hunt fairly early on, the only comparable experience I have for that being the first time you encounter the red dragon in Demon's Souls on that bridge in 1-1. The sheer scope of the monster is impressive, as is the sense awe and terror it induces as it lunges at you and you try to madly escape with your life. Fucking awesome.

Question for the pros, after which quest level would you recommend I dive in to the online experience? I've only begun completing the one star quests and haven't really encountered and fought anything massive yet. I feel like I've got a solid grasp of the basics and have leveled up some of my gear but don't know if I'm ready for the online yet.

nacire said:
What about Raw Damage vs. Sharpness. I'm curious due to crafted weapon selection and whether or not I should aim for higher damage or better sharpness.
Sharpness works as a straight multiplyer for raw damage. Green is like 110% and so on up to purple at 150%. Higher sharpness rarely stick around for very long but means you never get bounced and hit closer your highest damage potential. That said, I would focus on getting to at least blue sharpness which almost all top tier weapons do and get as high of raw damage with some elemental you can.
Later on you will have a single weapon for a couple of bosses so you can focus on sharpness or raw as it best applies.

Did I help?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
guild hall Los does not disappoint in tri. he had to have been one hit away from death, but the weak link in my game decided to die again and again :(

noonche

jaundicejuice said:
Ran into
the beasty from the boxart
during an unrelated hunt fairly early on, the only comparable experience I have for that being the first time you encounter the red dragon in Demon's Souls on that bridge in 1-1. The sheer scope of the monster is impressive, as is the sense awe and terror it induces as it lunges at you and you try to madly escape with your life. Fucking awesome.

Question for the pros, after which quest level would you recommend I dive in to the online experience? I've only begun completing the one star quests and haven't really encountered and fought anything massive yet. I feel like I've got a solid grasp of the basics and have leveled up some of my gear but don't know if I'm ready for the online yet.

As long as you have the controls down to a point that you aren't constantly dying you should jump online. You'll learn faster and the game is a little easier and more fun. I spent most of today doing low level quests that I didn't need and didn't mind at all.

Tenbatsu

Eteric Rice said:
How do I use armor skills? >_>
Use the Wii pointer and point over to see what the skill does and the requirements in your armor. Mix and match your armor with decorations and charm to activate them.

alske said:
As long as you have the controls down to a point that you aren't constantly dying you should jump online. You'll learn faster and the game is a little easier and more fun. I spent most of today doing low level quests that I didn't need and didn't mind at all.

Alright, thanks, I think I'll give the online mode a shot tomorrow night after work.

robox

village: what's the best way to build resource points? besides outings to moga village and killing things.
everything in the villages needs resource points: cat food, expeditions, farming, farm upgrades.... can't seem to earn them at a high rate just doing quests. they got rid of pokke points for the account items!

PounchEnvy said:
How do you manage to keep up with it? It's like almost always on the move!

I usually keep my stuff sheathed till it decides to charge, once that happens just run up and go to town on it's legs. Use sword mode as often as possible since it has that jumping forward attack, also try to get under its belly when it swings its tail as it will usually miss you and keep swinging as you're underneath. Careful memorization will help.

Tytree

Neo Member
r - b - x said:
village: what's the best way to build resource points? besides outings to moga village and killing things.
everything in the villages needs resource points: cat food, expeditions, farming, farm upgrades.... can't seem to earn them at a high rate just doing quests. they got rid of pokke points for the account items!
Outings to the Moga Woods are the best way to get resources, really. You can convert certain items into resources by talking to Junior, but it's better to go out and kill a couple Great Jaggis.

And oh my God, this game is so much better than I hoped. I had amusement with Freedom Unite, but Tri has completely consumed me. I am constantly pushing on to the next big adventure/immense fuckup with my friends. So amazing.

hiro4

r - b - x said:

You can also sell items you find in the game for resource points.
For example Jumbo Pearl gives you 100 resource points.

robox

damn. kinda getting sick of fighting jaggi's. seems like that's all i've been doing the last few hours.
fight querupeco; calls a jaggi
do a donphan slaying quest; jaggi shows up
need to get some resources points, forecast calls for jaggi's.
can't wait for the other monsters to show up at moga.... though i still need to get into the groove with switch axe still... jaggi is low risk fodder.

Hiltz

Haven't had much time to play yesterday.

Tried to obtain an extra Great Jaggi's King Frill item but haven't managed to get it yet despite breaking its face on two different ocassions. Need it to forge Rhenoplos arm armor.

Royal Ludroth once again rolled over me after I slice its tail and spongy mane off. Had to go back for a second try to finish it off. Still need 1 more R. Ludroth claw to upgrade to Royal Ludroth Sword & Shield (supposedly has water elemental damage) in preperation to use it against Barroth. If that doesn't work then I'll try bone switch axe +.

As far as capturing Qurupeco goes, I usually wouldn't bother trying to set up a trap unless you can catch it sleeping. Simply put set the trap right next to it. Give the old bird a smack in the face and prepare to throw 1-2 tranq bombs at it right after it gets stuck in the trap.

Grampasso

So, I finally made it. I backupped my DVD on my HDD. After doing the necessary tweaks to the IOS I tried to launch it with USB Loader GX, but like other mentioned it froze as soon as I tried to begin a new game with a horrible background sound. At that point I thought that I had screwed my other backups, but it wasn't so fortunately (at least, my Endless Ocean 2 backup still works, I didn't try the other ones). I decided to give a shot to Configurable USB Loader, and behold, it worked with no problem.
To the other guy who had problems with USB Loader GX, if it's still possible to recover his ISOs from the HDD (through WBFS manager) I'd suggest to do so, copy them back on the PC, format the partition and reup them on the HDD. After that install Configurable USB Loader following the wiki and it should work probably. On this matter I have a question, every time I startup Cfg ULoader it asks me to select a partition because it doesn't find a fat32 one. Then I select the WBFS one and it's ok. Is there a way to let it accept the WBFS one by default on startup?

Anyway, time to talk about the game itself. I only tried the MHP2 before, I went into it a little (I had cleared all the * missions) but then I somehow got bored with it (that's mainly because by the time the tutorial reached the traps explanations I was bored with it so I did those without paying much attention, and when I actually needed traps in the game I didn't know WTF I had to do :lol).

The fact that MH3 has an actually story mode with an integrated tutorial inside makes things go far smoother and with less boredom. I only reached the part with the first underwater mission and I was already scared to find a Lagiacrus while hunting for fishes...
but it wasn't so, at least for now =)
Would you suggest going already online? For now I feel like I really suck at it, plus I don't have the wiispeak accessory so it wouldn't be easy to communicate with other people.
What's your suggestion? Going online or continue with the offline mode for a while until I feel more confident with the controls?

Hiltz

Eteric Rice said:
Question.

Should I just be hoarding as much armor as I can so I can mix and match?

Like, is getting the Qurupeco set worth it?

I personally skipped it and chose to stick with Great Jaggi armor set until switching over to the rhenopolis armor set. I hear that its ideal for fighting Barroth since it apparently prevents the "adobe" effect (getting covered in mud which slows you down). Plus, if I remember correctly, the rhenolopis armor set has slighty higher default defense stats. On a personal note, the less amount of times I have to take on the Qurupeco the better!

Tenbatsu

r - b - x said:
can't wait for the other monsters to show up at moga.... though i still need to get into the groove with switch axe still... jaggi is low risk fodder.
They won't show up unless you clear the village quest missions. Clear a G.Jaggi mission, G.Jaggi will appear in moga etc. but not all monsters will be in Moga.

Eteric Rice said:
Question.

Should I just be hoarding as much armor as I can so I can mix and match?

Like, is getting the Qurupeco set worth it?
Its better to see the skills list and decide which skills you would like to have and your playing style.

Qurupeco set is worth it if you are a defensive player (defend up/evade +1/recovery Up). Maybe you can decide which of the three that you don't really need and replace it with an attacking skill to balance up your skill set.

Van Owen

Banned
Finally captured the great jaggi in single player and my playtime is around seven hours. At what point should I start crafting weapons and armor? Cause I'm still using the shit I purchased at the begining and haven't begun to touch that stuff. :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Luigiv said:
No, stun is when they're surrounded by electricity, KO is when they have stars around their head.

Teknoman said:
Oh, so shield/hammer attacks KO a monster, and paralysis effects = stun.

You guys are the experts and I defer to your wisdom, but...

I can reliably paralyze a monster pretty much anything with Para ammo. I was hunting a Great Jaggi and the subquest to "Stun" it was not activated when I paralyzed him in this way. I never saw him get stars around his head, so I think that might be what the game considers "stun." Maybe there is someting else I'm missing.

54-46!

Van Owen said:
Finally captured the great jaggi in single player and my playtime is around seven hours. At what point should I start crafting weapons and armor? Cause I'm still using the shit I purchased at the begining and haven't begun to touch that stuff. :lol
Get the Jaggi armor, only need to kill the Great Jaggi four times or something to complete the set.

Top Bottom