• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Philthy

This game is AMAZING. I picked up just because I've always been interested in this series and never got a chance to play it. I put in close to 20 hours this past weekend. This is just the game for someone who wants the MMO fun, but not the monthly payment, nor all the time sink BS that comes with it. This game is paced so perfectly. I loveeeeeeeee it.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Gino said:
Do I just have to injure his head? I always get the sub quest where you're supposed to injure him.

Can I do it with the lance? I know some weapons can't cut off monsters tails but I don't know about the lance.
Attack his neck to break the frills. I also think you have a better chance of getting the frills by capturing him.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Philthy said:
This game is AMAZING. I picked up just because I've always been interested in this series and never got a chance to play it. I put in close to 20 hours this past weekend. This is just the game for someone who wants the MMO fun, but not the monthly payment, nor all the time sink BS that comes with it. This game is paced so perfectly. I loveeeeeeeee it.

If you have the ability and haven't played it, get Demon's Souls.

GG to all those Gaf'ers I played with. Sorry I had to leave after 3-4 missions but my old crew of adhoc players got on. I put in only 26 hours but here are some thoughts:

You cannot send a message to players offline (am I wrong about that?)
You cannot find player in search if they are offline
Wii Speak was the worst purchase for me since Auto Modelista.
As a hammer user, I hate water battles. Hard to gauge how close I am to the monster sometimes.
I miss Kutku....
Love the CC but need to take some time to look at the other config settings. Its like the other shoulder buttons are crying to be used.
Sword and shield seem really effective early game.

The new monsters are great! I love how they rotate and translate when they turn, not just spin on a point, which makes it more challenging to get that hammer smash when they turn.
The new monsters now have attacks for their left and right side to prevent you from just hanging around his back leg or neck.
I also like how the old MH players have to start from HR1 and are bouncing off of monsters. Hammers > Everything

Loving how I am learning more about the monsters every hunt. Used a frog to fish out the Gobal which made the fight infinitely easier.

Loving this game. Time sink confirmed.

gotee12

DRock said:
Attack his neck to break the frills. I also think you have a better chance of getting the frills by capturing him.
I get the frills evertime I break them AND capture him. Hasn't failed me yet...

selig

Banned
okay...ARE there Gobuls around in the flooded forest before they´re introduced within a specially dedicated mission? I really need a better sword for Royal Ludroth :/

Hobbun

I was going to pass on this as it is more geared towards online than concentrating on a single-player campaign.

But one of my friends called me yesterday telling me he picked it up and is really enjoying it so far. And said he may even get the Wii Speak (if I pick the game up as well). So going over to his house this week and trying it out. If I like it, will most likely purchase it as well.

Boney

Banned
Any tips for fighting the Royal Ludroth? He's beaten me 2 times already, I know he's about to die, but I still can't get it done. Haven't maxed out in potions and herbs though.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Boney said:
Any tips for fighting the Royal Ludroth? He's beaten me 2 times already, I know he's about to die, but I still can't get it done. Haven't maxed out in potions and herbs though.
Well, there you go then.

Hiltz

Boney said:

Fight him in the water and its best to attack his tail (even when on land) especialy since you don't have to worry about his roll attack. That way, not only can u cut off his tail but its the best spot to avoid all of his attacks. Another ideal spot is to attack him from above while hitting his spongy mane that you can break off. Also, you can continue to attack his severed tail section of his body after its been cut off.

Fighting him on land can be tricky but only because of his deadly rolling move in my opinion. Once he gets weakened enough, he'll usually retreat to land and go to area 9 or he'll sleep in area 12.

I'd also recommend carrying some mega potions around. The only annoying thing about fighting Royal Ludroth in the water is that he likes to move around a lot.

Question: In order to try to get the King's Frill item, do you have to break Great Jaggi's face more than once ? I mean, you can break off other monsters like Royal Ludroth's spongy mane two times. I think the first time it just chips off but then the second time it breaks off.

Boney

Banned
Lonely1 said:
Well, there you go then.
Yeah I know, but still, he deals a lot of damage, and while underwater the monster just gets stupid and rushes all the time, and I go from full bar to dead.

BTW is there a way to just buy potions? I even forgot what to combine the herb with.

Hiltz said:
Fight him in the water and its best to attack his tail. That way, not only can u cut off his tail but its the best spot to avoid all of his attacks. Another ideal spot is to attack him from above while hitting his spongy mane that you can break off.

Fighting him on land can be tricky but only because of his deadly rolling move in my opinion. Once he gets weakened enough, he'll usually retreat to land and go to area 9 or he'll sleep in area 12.
Oh, I always focused on attacking him right on his face, so I'll try that thanks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anybody up for some hunting? I'm pretty much willing to do anything, only HR4 but a fast learner and good listener (have a keyboard).

I'll be doing some offline questing to upgrade my armor (gonna stick with this set for a while I guess) and just refreshing this thread.

Hiltz

Boney said:
Yeah I know, but still, he deals a lot of damage, and while underwater the monster just gets stupid and rushes all the time, and I go from full bar to dead.

BTW is there a way to just buy potions? I even forgot what to combine the herb with.

Oh, I always focused on attacking him right on his face, so I'll try that thanks.

blue mushroom + herb = potion

potion + honey = mega potion

kelbi horn + immunizer = ancient potion

I wouldn't try hitting his face since he likes to do his charge attack as well as his water spit attack (both on land and in water). Hitting him from the side is also dangerous since he can easily roll right over with little time to dodge it. However, you don't really have to worry about his roll attack while fighting him under water.

JRPereira said:
Wow, I didn't think it was actually in there:

mh3_keikaku.jpg

That cracked me up when I saw it, so many little memes scattered around and some of the Cha cha stuff :lol

Im about to go to Gate 40, no ones in there but ill be chilling while I sort out dinner :p

DataBot

Boney said:

Get on the US GAF server: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40 .

Ill be there in 5 min ill help you kill him (i need spongy hide+) .

Hawkian said:
Anybody up for some hunting? I'm pretty much willing to do anything, only HR4 but a fast learner and good listener (have a keyboard).

I'll be doing some offline questing to upgrade my armor (gonna stick with this set for a while I guess) and just refreshing this thread.
Yeah dude, getting online in a minute. Wisdom 4 city 40 something something recruiting something, right?

Hawkian said:

I'll be on in a little bit after I finish some homework and go buy a wireless kb =D

andymcc

Banned
i got this game over the weekend and love the shit out of it. my friend and i played for like 5 hours together last night.

i have a question though: if i have wiispeak, will everyone hear me or just people that have wiispeak?

windfish

Fistwell said:
Yeah dude, getting online in a minute. Wisdom 4 city 40 something something recruiting something, right?
yay iam online too, wisdom 1 gate 40 city 1 it is :D

andymcc said:
i got this game over the weekend and love the shit out of it. my friend and i played for like 5 hours together last night.

i have a question though: if i have wiispeak, will everyone hear me or just people that have wiispeak?
only wiispeak user will hear you!

Boney

Banned
DataBot said:
Get on the US GAF server: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40 .

Ill be there in 5 min ill help you kill him (i need spongy hide+) .
Sorry dude, I just can't spare the time right now. I got to study a bit, shower and get to class. I hate my classes, I spend more time going to class than actually being in one today.

Pancho

Qurupancho
FUCK the Gigginox, I've tried beating him countless times in single player and I'm still unable to, yet I killed the Lagiacrus with relative ease. Guess Giggi's my arch-enemy =/

Baker

Banned
Hiltz said:
I think fighting him on land is way quicker and easier than underwater.

- Go for his tail first.

- His rolling side attack has the biggest tell out of any monster battle in the game. He'll shake his head (kind of like a dog drying itself), roll, and then shake again. If you're attacking his tail, any dodge will go right under the attack. It's also free hits while he's doing the second shake.

- Other than that, I just stay to one side of his head and wail away at the mane until he gets all sad.

---

Now if anyone has Barroth tips, I'm all ears. I still can't seem to find any consistent weak spot when using a long sword. It seems pretty random if attacks on his arms or legs cause damage or bounce off.

Pancho said:
FUCK the Gigginox, I've tried beating him countless times in single player and I'm still unable to, yet I killed the Lagiacrus with relative ease. Guess Giggi's my arch-enemy =/
That thing was pissing me off last night. He's not hard, but you get so pissed off spending half the time watching him hide around on the ceiling you start using dumb tactics. I went through 11 antidotes and I don't know how many varying potions just to get it over with.

dsister44

Sammy Samusu said:
:lol

Please make sure to report back.

I'm not pretending so have any idea what i'm doing, im a complete noob.

You however seem to be quite the barroth expert so any strategic help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Or you can say nothing and look forward to our heroic tales of failure in a few hours

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ugh... think I just hit my first freeze. Went to exit and save to go online... my guy just keeps standing still while everything around him is still moving... no controls work.

Think I just lost all the work I put into my armor, hmm...

gotee12

Hiltz said:
Question: In order to try to get the King's Frill item, do you have to break Great Jaggi's face more than once ? I mean, you can break off other monsters like Royal Ludroth's spongy mane two times. I think the first time it just chips off but then the second time it breaks off.
I've never attempted to break his frill more than once. I don't know if it's breakable more than once. But I've always had 100% success rate with breaking it and then trapping him (via the 2* trap quest) to get the kings frill.

Also, I hate, hate, HATE royal ludroth's roll. I always wind up in between him and a wall when he does it. He's the only monster I continue to smack on after he dies due to the rage that has built up during the rolling fiasco...

Hawkian said:
Huh, does the game autosave when you beat a quest?
But it doesn't autosave after shop purchases thankfully. I'm still fumbling with the A button being accept instead of cancel! I've had more than my fair share of accidental purchases...

mintylurb

Looks like my copy has finally been delivered to my house. Hopefully, I'll be able to play some tonight. ;0 Bj and gaime better watch out!

noonche

JRPereira said:
Joy!; my wii speak arrived today. No-longer will I be one of those deaf-mutes!

Now you can realize, like me, what a waste of money it is! Welcome to the world of scratchy, unintelligible voice chat...

Keyboard works better...

I should look into setting up a Vent server for people that I'm questing with.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
alske said:
Now you can realize, like me, what a waste of money it is! Welcome to the world of scratchy, unintelligible voice chat...

Keyboard works better...

I should look into setting up a Vent server for people that I'm questing with.
Does voice chat work for you through the dedicated Wii speak channel?

gotee12 said:
But it doesn't autosave after shop purchases thankfully. I'm still fumbling with the A button being accept instead of cancel! I've had more than my fair share of accidental purchases...
This screwed me up so much when I played Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (import) where O accepts and X cancels. In Freedom 2 (and Unite), the button roles are reversed.

I think Capcom decided to preserve the accept/cancel button roles when they localized Tri.

I wasn't all that into twisting the Wii remote to the side to perform certain attacks, so I went out and bought a CC Pro this morning. I think that ultimately, fighting will end up better on the CC, but so far everything else (moving/camera, item usage, menu nav) felt a lot better in Freestyle. I'll give it a couple of days to grow on me. Even if I don't end up using it for Tri, the controller itself feels fantastic and will be worth keeping regardless.

The music for the fight in the
Underwater Ruins
is amazing. Slightly disappointed that
+ mats don't appear to drop in the post-game missions
. I guess my time in the Village is coming to an end -- which is too bad, because I really liked the place.

noonche

poppabk said:
Does voice chat work for you through the dedicated Wii speak channel?

I don't have a wii speak channel... Is that something you have to download?

I've also never heard someone come across clearly, and I've played with 5 or 6 different users...

Hiltz

gotee12 said:
I've never attempted to break his frill more than once. I don't know if it's breakable more than once. But I've always had 100% success rate with breaking it and then trapping him (via the 2* trap quest) to get the kings frill.

Also, I hate, hate, HATE royal ludroth's roll. I always wind up in between him and a wall when he does it. He's the only monster I continue to smack on after he dies due to the rage that has built up during the rolling fiasco...

I'll try breaking his frill and capturing him then. Thanks for the tip.

alske said:

I've also never heard someone come across clearly, and I've played with 5 or 6 different users...

You have to download the Wii Speak channel from the Wii shop channel . There should be some kind of code ticket written down to enter that comes with the Wii Speak box. If you don't have it, then you can e-mail Nintendo to ask for a new one.

dsister44 said:
You however seem to be quite the barroth expert so any strategic help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Or you can say nothing and look forward to our heroic tales of failure in a few hours
This. :lol

No, really, you are from EU, right? So sorry, I'm from US. Also, I wouldn't be of so much help because I'm a gunner, and your problem is Barroth's charge, sooooo...

Just be careful durng it's rage mode, use traps, bombs, blablabla. And I already told you guys, there's a good SnS (for now, people favorite set) that can cause Paralysis, it's not rare, most likely from Gobul, the thing is, I'm not sure if you can kill it before defeating Barroth in offline missions.

Well, good luck, wish I could help you online. :)

Hawkian said:
Huh, does the game autosave when you beat a quest?
Yes.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
alske said:

You should have gotten a free code to dwonload it with the Wii Speak. I know that voice chat through the channel works extremely well, so I am wondering if it is a problem with the games implementation.

Hiltz

Sammy Samusu said:
This. :lol

No, really, you are from EU, right? So sorry, I'm from US. Also, I wouldn't be of so much help because I'm a gunner, and your problem is Barroth's charge, sooooo...

Just be careful durng it's rage mode, use traps, bombs, blablabla. And I already told you guys, there's a good SnS (for now, people favorite set) that can cause Paralysis, it's not rare, most likely from Gobul, the thing is, I'm not sure if you can kill it before defeating Barroth in offline missions.

Well, good luck, wish I could help you online. :)

Yes.

In the single player mode, Barroth becomes available to fight in the last level 3 quest. Unfortunately, you can't get to Gobul before then.

I have some Barroth advice for sword and shield users. At least this worked pretty well for me in single player. Stand directly beneath it, right between the legs and slash away. This is especially a good spot when it's flinging mud. So long as I stayed under it, none of its attacks could reach me. The problem is managing to stay there. It moves around a lot and you move when you attack. Still, when I managed to stick that location for a few moments I could swing away without worry.

Note, this is only good for killing it, not for cutting its tail or crown. It's also likely a lot harder to manage with heavier weapons since you need to be light on your feet to maneuver into the sweet spot.

Danielsan

Beat the Royal Ludroth today.
Going to upgrade my switch axe first and then try to farm Ludroths in the forest so that I can get some full Ludroth gear going. Will tackle Barroth after that.

And yes the flooded forest looks fantastic during day time.

Top Bottom