• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
joelseph said:
I have seen white CCPro controllers for sale separately in U.S. stores. fwiw

Yeah I saw them. I got a black one without thinking, but I kinda wish I'd gone the other way. Oh well, I'd probably have wanted the black one if I got the white. :lol

Wired

well I finally got the Switch Axe, apparently the trader taught the blacksmith how to make it... It's pretty neat. Man this game is great, first MH I've played and I'm liking it so far.

Nos_G

Any NA players want to HR grind? I'm at HR 9 atm, stuck on the urgent quest for hunting Barroth.

The usual place. Rec/Wis1/G40

NPKX1G - Thorlis (Nos_G)**

selig

Banned
okay, need help with item search:

- Gobul-sting
- Gobul-skin
- Pelagicite-ore

Maybe just tell me what a Gobul is :p
thx anyway

Ridley327

Gobul is an underwater wyvern that resembles an angler fish. Pelagicite Ore can be found in mining spots on the bottom of the river floor on Flooded Fortress.

Poyunch

selig said:
okay, need help with item search:

- Gobul-sting
- Gobul-skin
- Pelagicite-ore

Maybe just tell me what a Gobul is :p
thx anyway
Pelagicite ore can be mined underwater in the Flooded Forest.

edit: beaten

Ridley327

They're a fairly rare find in insect gathers (rarer than Godbugs, IIRC), so it's just a matter of luck.

My suggestion, as with any of the harder to find insects, is to utilize the insect box on the farm to get one, even though they do cost a lot more resource points than normal.

Gwanatu T

Haunted said:
I had problems randomly disconnecting from the servers just now. Getting error code 11668 (which they say is a router problem) yet I could play on the weekend just fine with the same settings.

:/

I had weird problems over the weekend with the group of friends I was playing with. twice in 2 different cities it would disconnect people and not let them back in that city, and we had to change to another city number.

RapidCancel said:
Anyone got tips for getting Thunderbugs? I've been harvesting everywhere I see butterflies, but I've yet to get one.

I found a few in the first island area

dsister44

RapidCancel said:
Anyone got tips for getting Thunderbugs? I've been harvesting everywhere I see butterflies, but I've yet to get one.

your best bets are D. island area 4 and 5 and sandy plains areas 1,2 and 10

selig

Banned
Ridley327 said:
Gobul is an underwater wyvern that resembles an angler fish.

Thanks to both of you. But any idea where these Gobul are? I dont think I´ve seen anything resembling an angler fish so far.

JRPereira

Wow, I didn't think it was actually in there:

mh3_keikaku.jpg

So far none of the monsters is particularly tough with the exception of royal ludroths in water (the underwater combat is pretty awkward).

I really, really miss tigrex and yian garuga - they were some of the best fights in the series. Kushala daora was a good one too.

I still have yet to fight anything bigger than a barroth yet (really wicked charge on that - it was pretty neat to see such a fast charge after getting used to really slow diablos, gravios, and basarios charges).

Next one I'm slated for is a gobul. Gonna be kind of annoying I'm sure, considering it's another water fight.

Hawkian said:
Huh, are you guessing, or does this actually work? Exhaust drains stamina. I don't think low stamina leads to stun though...
It does... for Kelbis. :lol

Never tried on something like Barroth, but it should work after 10 shots or so, yeah.

andymcc

Banned
to those wondering about white cc-pros, i saw several at many retailers over the weekend. my dad just bought one for his wii, as a matter of fact.

JudgeN

JRPereira said:
Wow, I didn't think it was actually in there:

mh3_keikaku.jpg

So far none of the monsters is particularly tough with the exception of royal ludroths in water (the underwater combat is pretty awkward).

I really, really miss tigrex and yian garuga - they were some of the best fights in the series. Kushala daora was a good one too.

I still have yet to fight anything bigger than a barroth yet (really wicked charge on that - it was pretty neat to see such a fast charge after getting used to really slow diablos, gravios, and basarios charges).

Next one I'm slated for is a gobul. Gonna be kind of annoying I'm sure, considering it's another water fight.

I do agree that underwater fighting sucks, controls aren't very good and you move like a fucking 50 lb weight, while the monsters move like aquaman. Isn't Barioth, tigrex2.0? Or did they change his moveset so much that its a completely different fight? tigrex was the monster I always had trouble with, used alot of traps and always had 10 flash bombs :lol

Fought Barroth last night for the first time .................... Never again with a Great sword, going to try with my trusty hammer to see if it makes the fight easier.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I actually really like the underwater play control in this game. Maybe because I'm still using SnS and it makes me more agile (i'm also using old CC)? I actually wish the camera controls on the ground worked similar to underwater.

Good times last night to those I was playing with. Thanks for helping me knock out those 1 star quests.

This game is crazy good. Dumped the entire weekend into it.

I have another question. Long Swords are my weapon of choice but I'm a little confused about the new spirit bar. I just discovered last night that the R button combo has one more attack (years of PSP playing just conditioned me to backstep-slash after that overhead finish).

So not only does my character pull off this wicked looking move, but then my spirit bar starts glowing and my sword glows!!! So I do it again and it changes from white to yellow! Keep doing it and it gets up to purple!

What is this glowing doing? I played with it last night but couldn't figure out exactly what it does. I also don't know if it's effects get better as it goes from white to purple or worse.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sammy Samusu said:
It does... for Kelbis. :lol

Never tried on something like Barroth, but it should work after 10 shots or so, yeah.

What about like Great Jaggi, as in the subquest that requires you to stun it? I gotta try this.

DRock said:
I actually wish the camera controls on the ground worked similar to underwater.

Don't we all. I will NEVER understand why the vertical camera movement on the right stick on land was designed the way it is.

botticus

Ridley327 said:
They're a fairly rare find in insect gathers (rarer than Godbugs, IIRC), so it's just a matter of luck.

My suggestion, as with any of the harder to find insects, is to utilize the insect box on the farm to get one, even though they do cost a lot more resource points than normal.
Huh, those are rare? Guess I'll farm the ones I have before I find a use for them. I was throwing a handful of them away last trip through the Sandy Plains (area 1) since my inventory was full.

Looks like Amazon has sold out of the bundle again.

It will be interesting to see if this charts at all this month. I don't see it going very high, but any sort of bundled Wii game tends to do relatively well. But with the bundle in such limited supply, it might not end up affecting its sales numbers all that much.

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
So I logged 14 hours over the weekend (at the tundra now) and I gotta say, this game still exceeded my expectations. And trust me when I say they were high. Loving the farm and boat system. And lance is even sicker now. Oh, and the subquests are fantastic. Had to shield bash the Jaggi in the face a few times for the stun. :lol Awesome. Hopefully I'll jump online tonight. What server do you guys usually head into?

Baker

Banned
I was sick last week so this became my "I don't feel like seeing another human being" game. I have clocked in over 40 hours already. :lol

I absolutely frickin' suck at fighting Barroths. I checked out a couple youtubes in frustration and they were all tackled with hammers. Is that a necessity? My long sword has been tearing through everything else.

I don't know how you guys are handling online, but I'd be up for playing tonight. I haven't messed around with that side much. I think I'm just HR 5. I don't have wiispeak or a good keyboard, but it has worked out just setting up a chat on 360/PS3 then switching over to MH.

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
Baker said:
I was sick last week so this became my "I don't feel like seeing another human being" game. I have clocked in over 40 hours already. :lol

I absolutely frickin' suck at fighting Barroths. I checked out a couple youtubes in frustration and they were all tackled with hammers. Is that a necessity? My long sword has been tearing through everything else.

I don't know how you guys are handling online, but I'd be up for playing tonight. I haven't messed around with that side much. I think I'm just HR 5. I don't have wiispeak or a good keyboard, but it has worked out just setting up a chat on 360/PS3 then switching over to MH.

People use hammer on Barroth to break the crown. I've been maining lance and it makes him decently easy since you block all his charges and usually end up right behind him for an easy 2 high stabs. Then again, lance takes some getting used to.

Nimyh

Banned
Hawkian said:
Huh, are you guessing, or does this actually work? Exhaust drains stamina. I don't think low stamina leads to stun though...
It sure does. I used exhaust ammo to stun kelbis before I discovered the shield bash. I bet it works wonders with bigger monsters too if you place some tinged meat nearby, but I wouldn't be one to know.

botticus

heringer said:
Anyone playing this with the wiimote? How is it?
I've only used SnS (haven't really looked up the moveset for the lance yet) and it's perfectly serviceable. I used it with the demo so I haven't really felt any need to move to the CCPro. Honestly the biggest issue for me is trying to hit the 2 button for the menu and accidentally hitting 1 for item use, so I've learned to select inconsequential items first.

Camera control isn't nearly as complicated with the d-pad as it seemed when I first played the demo. Probably just a matter of practice and not moving it the opposite way you intend.

Hiltz

Looks like Monster Hunter Tri is doing well in the UK after being released 3 days ago. It scored 5th place on the top 20 charts. It lost out to Splinter Cell, GTA Episodes, Just Dance, and Wii Fit Plus. However, it beat out Just Cause 2, Modern Warfare 2, Pokemon Soul Silver & Heart Gold, New SMB Wii and FIFA 10 to name a few.

dsister44

To faust, Selenae, Ozoko, Neo C and anyone else who is HR5 or above.

from 8pm GMT (and perhaps earlier) i'm gunna be in recruiting wisdom1 Gate 40. I reckon we should have another crack at that barroth.

The Plan:

1.that thing fucked us over with those charges. So this time i'm gunna bring traps. once its trapped ill lay a large bomb then set it off with either a small bomb or a stone.

2.when it bows its head right before a charge its vulnerable to flash bombs

3. bring fire water weapons. when its covered in mud its vulnerable to water and when its not its vulnreable to fire. I'll be using my new bone+ switch axe or I might forge a Royal claw.

who here can make it?

Tenbatsu

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
What is this glowing doing? I played with it last night but couldn't figure out exactly what it does. I also don't know if it's effects get better as it goes from white to purple or worse.
White: Atk P X 1.05
Yellow: Atk P X 1.1
Red: Atk P X 1.3

windfish

dsister44 said:

from 8pm GMT (and perhaps earlier) i'm gunna be in recruiting wisdom1 Gate 40. I reckon we should have another crack at that barroth.

The Plan:

1.that thing fucked us over with those charges. So this time i'm gunna bring traps. once its trapped ill lay a large bomb then set it off with either a small bomb or a stone.

3. bring fire water weapons. when its covered in mud its vulnerable to water and when its not its vulnreable to fire. I'll be using my new bone+ switch axe or I might forge a Royal claw.

who here can make it?

i will try to be there even if its just for this one quest... i'll have my revenge!

dsister44 said:

The Plan:

who here can make it?
:lol

Please make sure to report back.

JRPereira

JudgeN said:
I do agree that underwater fighting sucks, controls aren't very good and you move like a fucking 50 lb weight, while the monsters move like aquaman. Isn't Barioth, tigrex2.0? Or did they change his moveset so much that its a completely different fight? tigrex was the monster I always had trouble with, used alot of traps and always had 10 flash bombs :lol

Fought Barroth last night for the first time .................... Never again with a Great sword, going to try with my trusty hammer to see if it makes the fight easier.

Barroth was pretty easy for me with a GS. The key bit was pretty much to avoid charging (I'll have to figure that out later) most of the time unless it's tipped over) and go for its side - probably also helped that I had green sharpness at the time.

From the videos I've seen so far, barioth seems to be more like naruga mixed with like tiny bits of kushala. Definitely doesn't feel tigrex-like.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just had a great string of hunts with a group of awesome guys. Took down two Gigginox, two Barioth, a Diablos, and a Rathalos, and not a single member of the group got KO'ed once the whole time.

Amazing how much more fun the game can be when you're playing with a group of skilled players. Instead of, say, a real life friend who plays super recklessly (seriously Leeroy Jenkins style) and is still using Alloy Armor at the 2* Urgent. >_<

dsister44 said:

The Plan:

who here can make it?
Hey kozy, sup? I'll get on in a little bit, just got home. I need to spend some time in single to get more resources, i'll hop online in a few. I dont have any goddamned bombs, and i'm all out of traps.

Also, question, shouldnt we all get HR8 before doing that quest? Wont we have to take it again if we pass it before we have access to it on our own (if that makes any sense)?

Edit: also, we could totally used a gunner instead of almost everyone going SnS. But i dont wanna be a gunner!!! :(

Gino

So I need 1 King's Frill to finish my Jaggi armor but i"m not sure where to get it. Checked the MH wiki but didn't see it listed on the items page.

Can anyone shed some light on it for me?

Gwanatu T

DRock said:
I actually really like the underwater play control in this game. Maybe because I'm still using SnS and it makes me more agile (i'm also using old CC)? I actually wish the camera controls on the ground worked similar to underwater.

Good times last night to those I was playing with. Thanks for helping me knock out those 1 star quests.

I'm with you on this. I actually preferred to fight the Royal Ludroth underwater, as he stays in place a little more and was easier for me to aim specifically at his face and tail.

heringer said:
Anyone playing this with the wiimote? How is it?

I know kingroin is and he complains about the motion controls being too sensitive

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gino said:
So I need 1 King's Frill to finish my Jaggi armor but i"m not sure where to get it. Checked the MH wiki but didn't see it listed on the items page.

Can anyone shed some light on it for me?

Break Great Jaggi's frill on his head. You should get one in the post-hunt rewards.

Gino

Seraphis Cain said:
Break Great Jaggi's frill on his head. You should get one in the post-hunt rewards.
Do I just have to injure his head? I always get the sub quest where you're supposed to injure him.

Can I do it with the lance? I know some weapons can't cut off monsters tails but I don't know about the lance.

Zarovitch

Me and my friend are really bad hunter, we fail to kill the big jaggi after five try.
But now we are really good at hunting mushroom, coral, herbs :)

heringer

botticus said:
I've only used SnS (haven't really looked up the moveset for the lance yet) and it's perfectly serviceable. I used it with the demo so I haven't really felt any need to move to the CCPro. Honestly the biggest issue for me is trying to hit the 2 button for the menu and accidentally hitting 1 for item use, so I've learned to select inconsequential items first.

Camera control isn't nearly as complicated with the d-pad as it seemed when I first played the demo. Probably just a matter of practice and not moving it the opposite way you intend.
Hmm, thanks.

I would get the bundle if I could, but since I'm importing that's not the best option. :/

I guess I'll try with the wiimote, if I don't like it I'll buy the classic controller later.

Shame you can't use the Gamecube controller though.

noonche

selig said:
Thanks to both of you. But any idea where these Gobul are? I dont think I´ve seen anything resembling an angler fish so far.

Gobul is a specific mark and is the
3* Urgent in the village.
Also: he's a dick.

Top Bottom