• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

My barroth advice is to learn its attacks. Many of its attacks are made up of some predictable movements before and after the "main course".

My favorite window of opportunity is the charge where it swings its tail to its left right after the charge finishes. It'll stop moving for about a second or so before it does something like take a couple more step forwards to spin around. If you're too slow you will probably whack its head and bounce, which can be good or bad. Good, if you knock off the crest and bad most other times.

If it's attacking someone else, you can take advantage of the the two steps forward, 180 degree turn by moving to intercept it since it will pretty much always charge after that. The charge is most dangerous for people that are far off and you can wail away at it if you're right next to it when it's about to start its charge.

When it does the mud-flinging, I just wait it out and go in after the mud shower stops. If you want to go in a little earlier, you can watch where the mud is coming out and rush in. If you can get right under it, you're good, but I've only ended up right under him doing that only by luck.

Most if not all of its attacks have tells, but I don't really remember what they are. The arena mode is a good way to learn a few of them.

Any lance users know what the use for the sweep(X + A) move is?

also how important is the guard canceling(R + X + A)? I dont' land it very often.
The sweep is good when you have a bunch of mobs in front of you.

Guard canceling is good when you have an incapacitated monster in front of you. Also, your shield will continue to block until the attack is released, I think.

Gino

Any lance users know what the use for the sweep(X + A) move is?

also how important is the guard canceling(R + X + A)? I dont' land it very often.

alske said:
Now you can realize, like me, what a waste of money it is! Welcome to the world of scratchy, unintelligible voice chat...
And yet nobody will listen to us and they keep recommending and buying the crummy thing.

Skype is a fantastic option since you can only have 4 players at a time. Crystal clear chat with minimal setup.

Gino

I've got a Wii speak but I play in bed next to my wife so I just use a wireless keyboard. Nintendo did a good job of making keyboards work at least. The first time I hooked it up I was already in an online game and it started working mediately. I thought I'd have to reset my wii to recognize it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
RuneFactoryFanboy said:
And yet nobody will listen to us and they keep recommending and buying the crummy thing.

Skype is a fantastic option since you can only have 4 players at a time. Crystal clear chat with minimal setup.
Wii speak through the channel definitely does work though, even trans-atlantic. So the problem has to be with the implementation in this game, not with the peripheral itself.

Aye, I got my Wii-speak for Endless Ocean and once I tweaked my volume settings it worked just fine. Mayhaps MH3's less than great use of the device has to do with it being a late addition to the game. It was newly added for the western release yes?

SYNTAX182

Daamn! Barroth hunt is definitely a challenge at first, it took me almost the whole 50 min. time limit to finally get used to it's attack pattern and just trapped it to beat the quest because I definitely would have failed if I tried to kill it. LOL. Second time around it gets easier though.

I finally had the option to upgrade from Bone+ Axe, the sharpness on this thing sucks, it only takes like 2-3 hits before the damage goes down and I have to resharpen.

But I don't know if I should upgrade to the Assault Axe because it would give me -20% affinity making my armor skill affinity boost useless.

So anyone care to chime in? Can I do more damage with the Bone+ Axe w/ critical + attack up boost vs upgrading to Assault Axe w/ attack up but with a negated critical boost? Or should I just wait for the Lagiacrus upgrade and keep the Bone+ Axe?

SreyB

poppabk said:
Wii speak through the channel definitely does work though, even trans-atlantic. So the problem has to be with the implementation in this game, not with the peripheral itself.

Yeah, it's weird. When I record my voice in the Wii Speak channel and play it back, it sounds great -- crystal clear audio that's easy to understand! But the moment I use it in Monster Hunter everyone's voice turns into Mumbly Joe. I wonder if they'll try and fix it with a patch or something... It's a bummer because we lost 10 player cities for something that doesn't work.

Gino

SreyB said:
Yeah, it's weird. When I record my voice in the Wii Speak channel and play it back, it sounds great -- crystal clear audio that's easy to understand! But the moment I use it in Monster Hunter everyone's voice turns into Mumbly Joe. I wonder if they'll try and fix it with a patch or something... It's a bummer because we lost 10 player cities for something that doesn't work.
Are there 10 player cities in the Japanese version?

sammy

DragonGirl said:
Aye, I got my Wii-speak for Endless Ocean and once I tweaked my volume settings it worked just fine. Mayhaps MH3's less than great use of the device has to do with it being a late addition to the game. It was newly added for the western release yes?

People seem to understand me just fine when i tweak the volume lower as well, the folks that sound mumbly over wii-speak often have some music other than MH blaring or I hear cars and sirens pass by their house. who knows, perhaps an update could patch this up?

Does MHTri automatically set the audio to stereo like it suggests, or is it just a suggestion from the menu?

noonche

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

Skype will do 4-way voice chat? If so, awesome! I thought it was just normal 1 on 1 calling.

I don't really care if the blame lies with Nintendo's peripheral or Capcom's implementation. The fact that voice chat seems to be non-functional is what I care about.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
alske said:
Skype will do 4-way voice chat? If so, awesome! I thought it was just normal 1 on 1 calling.

I don't really care if the blame lies with Nintendo's peripheral or Capcom's implementation. The fact that voice chat seems to be non-functional is what I care about.
Well don't forget there is a third option - people don't have the Wii speak set up correctly. The fact that the hardware can work means that there is at least the possibility that this may be fixable on Capcoms end if it is a server side issue.

alske said:
Yep me too.

I feel like a jerk too because I recommended it pre-release to two of my freinds and the shelled out $20 for the thing. Now they have $20 paperweights on top of their TV's

Yeah Skype does up to 6 people if I'm not mistaken. The best part is it's free as long as you have a PC. If anything I think neogaf members should be pressing that as the standard we use for voice chat.

Ridley327

Drkirby/Hawkian/Remfin: good questing with you guys. That R. Luddy hunt was awesome just because we spent more time chasing it into new zones than we did attacking it. :lol :lol :lol

alske said:

Ventrilo and buying a vent server is cheap as hell per month.

Vent works great for Warcraft and has worked out pretty good for me on Monster Hunter so far.

Nicktals

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
Ventrilo and buying a vent server is cheap as hell per month.

Vent works great for Warcraft and has worked out pretty good for me on Monster Hunter so far.

But why, when skype is so easy, and free? Once I start going online that's what I'm going to push for.

SreyB

ashism said:
What is the japanese setup in comparison to ours?

Well, I'm no expert I just remember reading about it a while back. I think the entrance to the city could hold up to 10 people, and groups of 4 could go on quests together.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ridley327 said:
Drkirby/Hawkian/Remfin: good questing with you guys. That R. Luddy hunt was awesome just because we spent more time chasing it into new zones than we did attacking it. :lol :lol :lol

Awesome indeed :D We owned that dude hard.

Second time I've captured one on a Hunt quest, while I still haven't done the capture quest :lol

Nicktals said:
But why, when skype is so easy, and free? Once I start going online that's what I'm going to push for.

Oh, I certainly wasn't trying to slag Skype.

I've just never used it and I already had the infrastructure for Vent in place. :)

Just wanted to remind people about their options.

Chromax

Just killed my first Lagiacrus. wow it was easy compared to Gigginox. That thing was a nightmare and I never want to fight it again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My internet just went out....... Thanks for the help with the quests, I really hope that one saved, I got so much cash out of it :'(

Sammy Samusu said:
This. :lol
Why you little...

So here it goes. We start beating the shit out of it, nobody dies for a while, then i figured i'd lay a trap and we'd all set up explosives and KABOOM... so to speak... or some such...

So i set up the trap, everybody lays their bombs and then.....

Then i ask myself "wait, how the shit do we set the bombs off again??"

Someone finally lays down a small bomb. Barroth frees himself UNHURT, moves away, and only THEN, KABOOM go the bombs. Epic fail.

NEVERTHELESS, and in spite of one or two of my more adventurous (leroy jenkins style) colleagues passing the fuck out, we end up making him limp. Then i shop his fucking tail off. Then we capture the son of a bitch.
TAKE THAT YOU FUCKER!!!! YOU'R NOT CHARGING NOW ARE YOU!!! YOU'R NOT CHARGING CAUSE YOUR FUCKING TRAPPED, THAT'S FUCKING WHY!!!?§,

Ahem.

And then we did it all over again. Some of my more adventurous colleagues wanted to, and i quote here, "fuck his shit up for serious this time y'all," but seeing as he wouldnt go down, as i was out of health and he was limping like a drunk hooker, i took the responsibility of capturing his sorry ass again.

And no, whoever the SHIT said that, he does NOT "just want to be loved"!!!

(and then we did it again, but that time he owned us. But that's ok cause we still win 2-1, i dont give a shit)

So there you go, tale of valor you got.

Edit: meant to say, kozy, faust, haaru (maaru?), hunter, ozoko and everyone else, good job. Fun times were had.

mash440

Neo Member
I've been playing this tonnes over the weekend. Came out on Friday here.

I'm gonna check out wisdom1/40/ to see if anyone is on the EU server. See you there hopefully! I've managed to scavenge Ludroth armour together, having a blast.

Fistwell said:
Why you little...

So here it goes. We start beating the shit out of it, nobody dies for a while, then i figured i'd lay a trap and we'd all set up explosives and KABOOM... so to speak... or some such...

So i set up the trap, everybody lays their bombs and then.....

Then i ask myself "wait, how the shit do we set the bombs off again??"

Someone finally lays down a small bomb. Barroth frees himself UNHURT, moves away, and only THEN, KABOOM go the bombs. Epic fail.

NEVERTHELESS, and in spite of one or two of my more adventurous (leroy jenkins style) colleagues passing the fuck out, we end up making him limp. Then i shop his fucking tail off. Then we capture the son of a bitch.
TAKE THAT YOU FUCKER!!!! YOU'R NOT CHARGING NOW ARE YOU!!! YOU'R NOT CHARGING CAUSE YOUR FUCKING TRAPPED, THAT'S FUCKING WHY!!!?§,

Ahem.

And then we did it all over again. Some of my more adventurous colleagues wanted to, and i quote here, "fuck his shit up for serious this time y'all," but seeing as he wouldnt go down, as i was out of health and he was limping like a drunk hooker, i took the responsibility of capturing his sorry ass again.

And no, whoever the SHIT said that, he does NOT "just want to be loved"!!!

(and then we did it again, but that time he owned us. But that's ok cause we still win 2-1, i dont give a shit)

So there you go, tale of valor you got.

Edit: meant to say, kozy, faust, haaru (maaru?), hunter, ozoko and everyone else, good job. Fun times were had.
LOL@SETTINGBOMBSOFF :lol :lol :lol

And congrats! Now all of you pretty much know it's attack pattern, so
almost
no need to hurry from now on!

And you guys were capturing or killing it?

Sammy Samusu said:
LOL@SETTINGBOMBSOFF :lol :lol :lol

And congrats! Now all of you pretty much know it's attack pattern, so
almost
no need to hurry from now on!

And you guys were capturing or killing it?
Yeah, once you know its shtick its not so bad. But he takes A LOT of hits before going down. And he hits hard.
Both time we got him we were running out of time, so we ended up capturing him, twice.

Oh no, I forged myself a Rhenoplos armour set and it looks awful -- my hunter looks rather...obese now. :I

And I got my first Switchaxe. That sure is one stylish weapon, but it feels like step back from what I can do with the hammer. I'm also not really sure yet when it is more appropriate to use the axe and when I should switch to the sword.

Owzers

How do you trap? I failed at trapping Jiggi, he was limping, ran to a different screen, then i trapped him and threw the tranq but it didnt knock him out. Does it recover health when going to a different screen?

Teknoman

slaughterking said:
Oh no, I forged myself a Rhenoplos armour set and it looks awful -- my hunter looks rather...obese now. :I

And I got my first Switchaxe. That sure is one stylish weapon, but it feels like step back from what I can do with the hammer. I'm also not really sure yet when it is more appropriate to use the axe and when I should switch to the sword.

Always use preview for armor :lol I'm going for Barroth stuff next. Wanted to go for Bone armor early on, but the belt looks like a thong :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, I'm seriously starting to hate playing with a friend of mine. He plays super-offensively, like to the point where he almost completely forgoes defense. Hell, at this point he's STILL using the Alloy Armor set at the 2* Urgent/HR15 despite having only 72 total defense, just for the Critical Eye +3 bonus. The problem is whenever I'm in a group with him, he more often than not ends up costing us the quest. And if he doesn't cost us the quest, he'll get KO'ed at LEAST once per quest. Especially against high-damage monsters like Lagi or Rathian.

I really just don't think he's a very good team player. When playing MH in a group, you have to consider that you're not the only one who stands to lose/gain. If you play recklessly, and cost the team the quest, everyone on the team just wasted time and supplies because of you.

And also, he never takes into account other players position when attacking. Case in point: we were fighting Lagi, and we had him stunned on the shore. I run up to the head, and so does he. He's swinging away with a Switch Axe in Sword Mode, and meanwhile I can't get a single hit off because he's constantly knocking me over. The big problem here is that I had a Red Bludgeon (Rathalos hammer), while he had a Rough Edge. I do literally TWICE the amount of damage he does to Lagi. Yet he rushes in all Leeroy Jenkins without even considering that he's not really the best person to be pounding away at Lagi's head.

Okay, rant over. :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
sillymonkey321 said:
How do you trap? I failed at trapping Jiggi, he was limping, ran to a different screen, then i trapped him and threw the tranq but it didnt knock him out. Does it recover health when going to a different screen?

Make sure you throw the tranq at his heeeeeeeeaaaad.

d0c_zaius

Seraphis Cain said:
Okay, I'm seriously starting to hate playing with a friend of mine. He plays super-offensively, like to the point where he almost completely forgoes defense. Hell, at this point he's STILL using the Alloy Armor set at the 2* Urgent/HR15 despite having only 72 total defense, just for the Critical Eye +3 bonus.

I use that as well lol.

Its not the gear, its the player (plus the gear can be upgraded). I know people that play with no armor and dont use potions, and while the rules are extreme, they do fine.

EDIT: yea sounds like he could use some advice on team playing lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
d0c_zaius said:
I use that as well lol.

Its not the gear, its the player (plus the gear can be upgraded). I know people that play with no armor and dont use potions, and while the rules are extreme, they do fine.

Yeah, I wasn't really blaming the gear. :lol It's just he really shouldn't be wearing the Alloy Armor at this point in the game considering he sucks at not getting hit. :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hawkian said:
Make sure you throw the tranq at his heeeeeeeeaaaad.

Where you hit with the tranq makes no difference at all. I virtually never hit the monster in the head and I still capture them just fine.

What DOES matter, though, is that it takes two tranqs to capture, not just one.

Eteric Rice

Almost have the full set of the Rhen armor. :D

Tried to kill the big bulldozer guy. He's hard.

What should a mace user decorate his armor and stuff with?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Eteric Rice said:
Almost have the full set of the Rhen armor. :D

Tried to kill the big bulldozer guy. He's hard.

What should a mace user decorate his armor and stuff with?

Mace?

EDIT: Oh, do you mean Hammer? Hmm...Short Charge is always handy.

botticus

Seraphis Cain said:
Where you hit with the tranq makes no difference at all. I virtually never hit the monster in the head and I still capture them just fine.

I just tried the quest again and I must have been hitting the little Jaggi around him this time, since I definitely got the tranq bombs off in time. Bleh. I was lucky enough to have him come at me in Area 1, so he was limping by the time he ran off somewhere he could get help. But I quit via subquest again. No Frill drop this time though.

At least I have a black nunchuk to match my remote now. I just feel like a better hunter.

Teknoman

Seraphis Cain said:

Bolded for emphasis. If its still up after two, hold onto the rest and try to trap again.

Danielsan

Just had my first couple of online games.
Took down and captured a Royal Rudroth with a group of 4 people and killed a Qurupeco with one other player in the arena. This game has officially gone from great to fucking awesome.

Top Bottom