• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Hi guys.

If any of you need specific help or questions about any of the monster hunter mechanics, please feel free to PM me for an overly long detailed response.

I love to help.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mmm... a well-captured Rathian, fellas.

We taunted the Quru into summoning him on purpose and then capped him and the Quru with like 15 minutes to spare. :lol

dsister44

Sammy Samusu said:
LOL@SETTINGBOMBSOFF :lol :lol :lol

And congrats! Now all of you pretty much know it's attack pattern, so
almost
no need to hurry from now on!

And you guys were capturing or killing it?

bomb fail was ridiculous, there was 6 large bombs there and we all ran away without setting a single time bomb.

however we did get the bastard with no kills. which was awesome. 2nd time I died ( sorry guys) in the most stupid way. Barroth ran into a new area so i stopped and took a mega potion and sharpened my weapon. I must have spawned in front of him cos when the loading screen disappeared i was flying 20ft in the air with 80% of my health gone. I run away to try and heal but dont go far enough and get trampled

one of the best moments of the night: we were doing a fisherman's tale to HR grind. we were doing pretty well, had cut off his tale within 3 mins and he was getting pwned. but just has he leaves the area, a Rathian turns up out of nowhere. I charge in and havinjg never faced one before promtly get my ass handed to me. My team mates (being the awesome people that they are) abandon the Royal hunt and start wailing on the dragon. twas a shame that it flew off, would have been so awesome to kill

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay, MH3 gods... I'm getting to the point where I'm gonna have to abandon my awesome Hunter armor w/ Autotracker 3000 :(

What is the deal with Psychoserum? Can you get it reliably?

Is it possible to farm for the Psychic charms I want?

Remfin

Hawkian said:
Mmm... a well-captured Rathian, fellas.

We taunted the Quru into summoning him on purpose and then capped him and the Quru with like 15 minutes to spare. :lol
That was so awesome. I was watching the Quru cap from a distance and those Tranqs just arching right over his head and I was thinking to myself, "I am going to cry if we have to abandon this quest because we ran out of Tranqs." :lol The quest was worth worth like 220? points with all the subquests, and the Rathian capture was 740!

Great hunting with all you people today!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I may have logged hundreds of hours into the PSP versions, but...

I just took down my first Royal Ludroth, and am reminded how this is simply one of the best games ever.

It was the first try, fought a bit in the Flooded Forest marsh, then fought him underwater. They've really handled this new aspect well. Already I'm getting a feel for the GS at least, reading underwater attacks and using the camera without much trouble.
Eventually saw him doing a weird type of wobble swim away and thought out loud "is that a limp!?"

Sure enough, he beached himself in the cave for a rest. His attacks were slower but still did a bit of damage through the leather armour set I'm still rocking. I go take a nap and collect a few more supplies from the sub quests.
I come back to find him about to hop back into the water and give chase. I go as fast as I can behind his wobbly doggy paddle and with a cry of "oh no you don't!" unsheathe attack him in the rear for good measure - WHOP - off comes his tail! Verily I cackled to myself while he turned around and gave me a very angry look before disappearing into the next area :lol

Another short underwater battle later and he was ripe for carving. Amazing first encounter; amazingly fresh start to a series that shows no danger of going stale; amazing, amazing. Amazing.

botticus

Woohoo, captured Jaggi! Just need to lure him back out of his den and then run around enough rocks to give me enough time to set up the trap, then do it again to get him to walk into it!

I assume you can't carve captured beasts?

Ridley327

Hawkian said:
Okay, MH3 gods... I'm getting to the point where I'm gonna have to abandon my awesome Hunter armor w/ Autotracker 3000 :(

What is the deal with Psychoserum? Can you get it reliably?

Is it possible to farm for the Psychic charms I want?

The Psychic decorations you can forge require the Sunspire Stone, which is found on the Tundra.

gotee12

Whew! That was a long, stressful 35 minutes. My first fight against a Barroth and was able to cut his tail off as well. Almost used every last whetstone I had though. What really got me was when he started demolishing the rocks I was hiding behind. That's was VERY unexpected.

Remfin

botticus said:
I assume you can't carve captured beasts?
You get the carves (including an extra one or two?) later. The mechanic differs depending on what you're doing of course--if the quest was to capture, it's just the normal result screen with the stuff...if it's a free hunt (you cap something that wasn't the quest) you get a SECOND reward screen.

Honestly, I don't see why you wouldn't ever capture...more stuff, should be faster (you only have to get it to critical, not kill it). I suppose maybe you can't afford the items early on.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Whoo hoo!

It just arrived. Going to try and play 1-2 hours a night this week, then join you guys online this weekend.

Ridley327

Remfin said:
You get the carves (including an extra one or two?) later. The mechanic differs depending on what you're doing of course--if the quest was to capture, it's just the normal result screen with the stuff...if it's a free hunt (you cap something that wasn't the quest) you get a SECOND reward screen.

Honestly, I don't see why you wouldn't ever capture...more stuff, should be faster (you only have to get it to critical, not kill it). I suppose maybe you can't afford the items early on.

They all look so adorable when they're tranquilized, too. :lol :lol :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Seraphis Cain said:
:lol Good luck with that.

It's Monster Hunter, yo.

Well, I'm at work/on the road from 7-6:30 every day and I have a wife...so I'll be lucky to get 2 hours a night in.

Alex

Man, plate farming sucked back when the Rath-pair were pansies, now that they've got way more health by compare and are actually somewhat dangerous it's really annoying!

I think we've done like...10 so far. Friend got a plate, but no claws, I got a shit ton of claws and no plate. :lol

I'm still in my non-upgraded Alloy set with my intro-grade heavy stock and barrel and jaggi frame. I want new shit! Especially gun parts. I don't get hit and I still like my armors aesthetics but I yearn for bowgun assembly. Everything sucks ass except for the Jaggi frame thus far. I've heard of reccomendations for the Barroth barrel and combos involving that but FUCK that thing.

The deviation on it is INSANITY and it's range is a joke It's almost some sort of injoke that it includes the ability for slicing rounds. You remember Dodgeball on the NES? When you'd throw the ball really hard and it'd go fucking everywhere? That's what this barrel is like!

Ok so I've completed a few of the 2* quests and decided to try the online portion...

... :(

It's taking me like 5 minutes to get through the connection screens, and I only get to the screen to choose a server about 1 in 3 times... it usually disconnects before then.

THEN, if I get to that screen, it's another crapshoot as to whether I'll connect and get to the city.

The two times I've been able to, I did the 1* bug hunt quest, and both times it disconnected me about 10 minutes into it. That really puts a damper on my day.

I just went back in and after wrestling with it for another 30 minutes, I finally got connected and all I did was run to the armory to get a Bone Axe forged, then quit.

Anyone have any tips for getting online with this game? I don't have anything using network resources on my pc or any other systems, I've got my Wii's IP address set as a DMZ, etc... it should be 100% open but this game doesn't seem to want to work online very well at all.

At least I got my switch-axe.

Alex said:
Man, plate farming sucked back when the Rath-pair were pansies, now that they've got way more health by compare and are actually somewhat dangerous it's really annoying!

I think we've done like...10 so far. Friend got a plate, but no claws, I got a shit ton of claws and no plate. :lol

@ 1st bold: Yes it was, Yes it was.

@2nd bold: Really?, now that is gonna be annoying. Are they like the Pink and Blue, Silver and Gold variations of the species used in Freedom Unite?

Teknoman

:lol glad i'm not the only one with a "dont run away now!" mentality after slicing off a monster's tail. Capcom did an amazing job with the animations, makes the monster seem like its really in pain, the way it lurches when it happens.

Also :lol at Royal Ludroth's rage spitting all over the place.

gkrykewy said:
In the online city, head to the workshop. There's a blacksmith there who can forge every weapon type. He didn't have any longswords available, but there was a Bone Axe when I went. It takes 10 Monster Bone S, some iron ore (10 I think, I'm not sure, I had like 30+ at that point) and 2 Monster Fluids + 3000-something zenny... I think that's the only way to get a switch-axe before they're available from the blacksmith in single-player mode. Does 500+ base damage, which is even better than my Jawblade I've spent so much time upgrading... very fun weapon.

Brannon

Those were great games. The first with the Rathian/Qurupeco capture (arching tranq bombs were stressing us out), then I had to head out, but reconnected with Dragon Girl (Khory) for her character journal and that last mission was... whoa.

Rathian out of nowhere threatening the entire quest, but we pulled it off and still managed to capture the R. Ludroth during a kill quest. One of the players fainted before being able to reach the final battleground, but a capture rewards everybody, so no chance of missing carves.

Gotta say though, that Rathian may have helped out more than we realize; it burned the Ludroth several times and bum-rushed it into the water. Count you blessings, I guess. That was freaking awesome.

Alex

Infinite Justice said:
@ 1st bold: Yes it was, Yes it was.

@2nd bold: Really?, now that is gonna be annoying. Are they like the Pink and Blue, Silver and Gold variations of the species used in Freedom Unite?

I dunno, I'm still on just the base ones (the Rathlos, that is). At least theyre interesting to fight, they're as different as they are the same, that probably makes no sense but that's just how it is!

In my current gear with just two people they're also very dangerous (as bowgun class, any enraged attacks are basically a one shot, although it's a lot easier to gun tank monsters with the new system) and take about 25 mins a pop.

Compared to the what, 5 mins they took on the PSP with two people using anti-Dragon weaponry. :lol that's what I'm used to plate farming wise. Especially since the Rath first popped up in low rank in MHFU right after Lao so everyone is all set to bust up dragon-class monsters.

What should I do if my only trap is wasted during a capture quest? The damn Quropeco flew away as soon as I set my trap and right after he had just landed too. I spend 15 minutes dealing with his aggravating short intention span and his dragon buddy's ball breaking antics only to be forced into abandonment?

Alex

Chopper Dave said:
What should I do if my only trap is wasted during a capture quest? The damn Quropeco flew away as soon as I set my trap and right after he had just landed too. I spend 15 minutes dealing with his aggravating short intention span and his dragon buddy's ball breaking antics only to be forced into abandonment?

If he's limping don't trap unless

1.) It's landing right on top of it
2.) It's in it's "nest" area.

Because that can often result in just that. Monsters LOVE to fly off just as you lay your trap. :lol

Also, if you complete the subquests, they give you bonus traps I think waiting in the supply box. You can also bring or make your own on the field, a shock trap is a trap tool + thunderbug.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alex said:

Also, if you complete the subquests, they give you bonus traps I think waiting in the supply box. You can also bring or make your own on the field, a shock trap is a trap tool + thunderbug.

I wish people online would grasp this concept. It's why I always bring my own shock trap. :lol

Brannon

Chopper Dave said:

My theory is that you can do a subquest, then sleep it off back in town, get more traps, then come back and finish the fight.

I haven't tried this so I'm not sure if it'll work in terms of letting you take extra equipment. Can't hurt to try, though.

EDIT: But if it's multiplayer then whoops. Hope somebody brings more traps.

Alex said:

Because that can often result in just that. Monsters LOVE to fly off just as you lay your trap. :lol

Thank you! This is a really valuable bit of info. I never understood what the trap tool was for. I thought you needed it to set certain traps. It's actual purpose is for trap making combos?

Anyway, I beat him on my 2nd try no problems.

gkryhewy

Funky Functionality said:
In the online city, head to the workshop. There's a blacksmith there who can forge every weapon type. He didn't have any longswords available, but there was a Bone Axe when I went. It takes 10 Monster Bone S, some iron ore (10 I think, I'm not sure, I had like 30+ at that point) and 2 Monster Fluids + 3000-something zenny... I think that's the only way to get a switch-axe before they're available from the blacksmith in single-player mode. Does 500+ base damage, which is even better than my Jawblade I've spent so much time upgrading... very fun weapon.

Sweet, thanks! Bought.

tomegatherion77

Neo Member
I just wanted to stop by and say hi to the monster hunters, and see if anyone on US version are online in asia/oceana. I live in Tokyo, and was previously playing the JP version, but I prefer the english one so I didnt mind starting over, if you see Magnus online lets hunt. On the weekends I try to get on US times also. Happy Hunting!

Finally captured the Great Jaggi. Man what a great feeling. It's been a while since I literally did this:

8erv2gi.gif

:lol

And I got the most surprising reward.

photo.jpg

Alex said:

this caught me a few times and argh but i normally carried the parts needed to create a new trap, so i had 3. It didn't stop the whole "you have a trap set so you can set another one" garbage though.

Khezu (Normal and Red) and Rathalos were the culprits for me. :(

Chopper Dave said:
Thank you! This is a really valuable bit of info. I never understood what the trap tool was for. I thought you needed it to set certain traps. It's actual purpose is for trap making combos?

Anyway, I beat him on my 2nd try no problems.

Yea, since you can use it to make the Pitfall trap as well (just need a net as the second item).

Didn't know this for a while until i read the combination book :lol

wsippel

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
Save your monster fluids. (they always seem to be a bitch for me to get)
Very easy to get, actually. I amassed obscene amounts of that stuff farming Altaroth jaws and doing mushroom quests. There are two quick ways to get them: Look for a couple of Altaroth but don't kill them. They will start gathering stuff after a while. Kill them once they are done collecting and you have a very high chance to get monster fluid (just hit them with your weapon, they'll drop stuff either way).

Another way is to build a few poison bombs and use those to kill them. That way, you might also get jaws if you're lucky, and it's no problem to kill three to five Altaroth with a single bomb without destroying their bodies. The best place to farm them is the cave during the mushroom quest (first two star offline quest if I remember correctly). Just run past the two big aggressive ones near the entrance and straight to the three small Altaroth on the other end of the cave. The big ones will follow you, the smaller bugs stand close to each other, so poisoning four of even all five Altaroth with a single bomb is simple. You should get at least two fluids out of this, and have a 50% chance to get a jaw as well.

wsippel said:
Very easy to get, actually. I amassed obscene amounts of that stuff farming Altaroth jaws and doing mushroom quests. There are two quick ways to get them: Look for a couple of Altaroth but don't kill them. They will start gathering stuff after a while. Kill them once they are done collecting and you have a very high chance to get monster fluid. Another way is to build a few poison bombs and use those to kill them. That way, you might also get jaws if you're lucky, and it's no problem to kill three to five Altaroth with a single bomb without destroying their bodies. The best place to farm them is the cave during the mushroom quest (first two star offline quest if I remember correctly). Just run past the two big aggressive ones near the entrance and straight to the three small Altaroth on the other end of the cave. The big ones will follow you, the smaller bugs stand close to each other, so poisoning four of even all five Altaroth with a single bomb is simple. You should get at least two fluids out of this, and have a 50% chance to get a jaw as well.

I love you.

I totally forgot about poison bombs.

I need Armor Sphere+, where's can I grab some so I can go to Lv 4 in all of my Armor?

And where the hell can I get regular Armor Sphere anyway? I think I've only gotten it as a reward in Quests.

Kuraine

Neo Member
I may be making my first trek online tonight, so if I see any of you, hi!

The female versions of some of these armor sets are just hilarious. Must kill more things for parts!

dsister44

Hero of Legend said:
I need Armor Sphere+, where's can I grab some so I can go to Lv 4 in all of my Armor?

And where the hell can I get regular Armor Sphere anyway? I think I've only gotten it as a reward in Quests.

i'm pretty sure you can only get armor spheres and armor spheres+ as quest rewards and sub quest rewards

Poyunch

dsister44 said:
i'm pretty sure you can only get armor spheres and armor spheres+ as quest rewards and sub quest rewards
That's how I get them but apparently you can there are other ways:
Tenbatsu said:
Picking in Snow/Volcano, quest rewards or exchange with the sailor.

evangd007

Hero of Legend said:

Do the Event Quest online. You get a ton of both as a reward. Be prepped though, you need to complete all 3 objectives in 15 minutes, and one is to catch 3 goldenfish. That is a crapshoot if you didn't remember to bring 3 goldenfish (firefly + snakebee larve) bait with you.

Londa, Brannon, monkey, thanks for joining me today! The journal entry chronicling today's hunt will be posted on Wednesday. My opening post is already up for anyone interested in seeing how the character journal goes. Check it out here.

I'll be back on at 6:30 CST on Wednesday for the journal, invitation remains open. I hope to see you there!

Also, remember, if you hunt with me on a journal day and want me to include character flavor about your Monster Hunter persona, feel free to drop me a private message with some brief info on motivation or background. I'll check my mailbox at 8:30 CST on the day of that hunt and work in any character details I'm sent.

wsippel

Banned
Hero of Legend said:

Just mine in the volcano area. You'll get tons of both there. Just bring enough pickaxes.

Top Bottom