• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

So... Rugged Greatsword Path or Buster Sword Path? Leaning Rugged Greatsword path to end up with Barroth Smasher. Dunno.

I'm going to do an alternate with Bone -> High Sieglinde and I'm going to aim for my main to be Longsword Dancing Hellfire.

Duress

Anyone know if I have to have the combo books in my inventory to increase my success rate or, can I just keep it in my item box?

This game just keeps getting better and better.

What's the best site right now to get info on this game's systems?

I mean, how many rarity categories are there and do the colors mean anything for items?

Pancho

Qurupancho
Duress said:
Anyone know if I have to have the combo books in my inventory to increase my success rate or, can I just keep it in my item box?
If you want the effects for combining on a quest, you have to bring them with you but if IIRC, you'll get the combo books effects in town regardless of were your combo books are.

Luigiv

Duress said:
You have to take it out with you on Quests, It can be left in the box for in the box combos though.

Edit: Beaten.

Hiltz

I didn't have much time to play today.

I killed a couple of Great Jaggi and captured one (still no luck getting a King's Frill ) , killed two Royal Ludroth and a Quropeco. Also forged Royal Ludroth and Quropeco sword and shields.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
markot said:
Is this game like Phantasy star online >.<?

The online structure of you entering a lobby and choosing a town where you can talk, run around in circles/make gestures, upgrade/buy/sell your weapons/armor/items, and select quests to go on with three other buddies is almost exactly the same. Even the limitations in communication (but for different reasons) is very similar to the DC PSO. Hell the Ecosystems you quest in are even laid out similar to PSO levels.

Gameplay? Yeah, it's a bit different. A lot deeper fighting system and plenty of more options with building Weapons and Armor. You have to collect different items throughout the ecosystems by carving monsters, fishing, mining, searching for plants, etc. and combine them to make new items, weapons, and items. And then ecosystem's climate and different monsters abilities can have effects on your character that you need to prepare for before battle if you want to survive.

Each quest has a single main objective and one or two side-quests. Objectives range from collecting mushrooms to slaying a huge beast of a monster. Some quests will take you up to 50 minutes to complete and some you will have to revisit numerous amounts of times to collect the right amount of whatever your looking for to upgrade something you have or to forge something new.

Hope that helped. :D

Honestly though, as a PSO fan... I fricken love this game, think it is leagues ahead of PSO, and I couldn't imagine other PSO players/fans not liking this. The only bad part? You might find yourself wanting to play this game rather then actually living your real-life.... which could be a problem.

Tenbatsu

This game just keeps getting better and better.

What's the best site right now to get info on this game's systems?

I mean, how many rarity categories are there and do the colors mean anything for items?
MH Wikia I suppose. Best site are in japanese thou :/

7 rarity to them and each rarity is in a different color.

noonche

Yeah, I'm on wireless but I've got an ok connection otherwise.

Can you join other games? It was being finicky for me earlier.

dsister44 said:
you were awesome yourself:p
You're confused, i spent more time running around covered in mud, hiding behind rocks (and getting hit anyways) to heal/use whetstones, and begging for food than actually fighting the damn thing.

dsister44 said:
after you left i went to help some other friends and has to do THREE MORE barroth runs. I soooo tired of that urgent quest lol. after we've helped eric we should do some of those awesome 2* quests. im betting the wyvern egg one will be VERY fun in multiplayer
Three more... Dont know how you do it, i wouldnt have had the emotional fortitude. I was already fucking drained after the first one.
I did really like that the second one went down with the bombs. But... he wasnt limping or anything was he? Are bombs that powerful?
Also, i am SO ready to move on to 2* quests. The egg quest sounds good. Looking forward to that rathian capture (she's fun to fight!).

dsister44 said:
Just about to face Lagiacrus. I hope i enjoy the fight since i reckon i'll be farming this dude a lot to get his armour and awesome sword and shield
Offline i'm guessing? Dunno if you'll like it. I thought the repelling quest was a little too easy. But the slaying.. god, the slaying... 45 minutes of shitty water fight for nothing (i broke all his shit up, but i couldnt finish him off). Not too fond of lagiacrus. As far as flagship monsters go, I liked fighting tigrex (much) better.

evangd007

GAF server is giving me grief too. I got in, said hello, and was promptly booted and then not allowed back in, gave me error 11669 saying "Processing was not successful." Is that what happened to you Guillotine?

edit: Just made my own city in Wisdom1/Gate40 just fine. Something wrong with City1?

Mardak

Just checking, you can't have two traps out at once? I placed one to catch the Royal Ludroth, but it pushed me away as I was placing it and didn't trigger the trap. So I went to grab another trap and now I can't place it next to the sleeping boss.

ONLINE ETIQUETTE PRO TIP:

DO NOT LEAVE TO MINE IN THE MIDDLE OF A QUEST OR OTHER ACTIVITIES WHILE OTHERS FIGHT.

Seriously, its just rude as hell and can create a situation where a monster goes after a player who has yet to heal when he would have otherwise gone after someone else causing them to faint.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally, 8.0 on Gamespot.

By far the highest score they have given a Monster Hunter game. It's currently the #1 total most popular game right now on the site, and sitting pretty at 84 on Metacritic.

EDIT: It looks so much better in their video than on my screen :lol

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Dragona Akehi said:
So... Rugged Greatsword Path or Buster Sword Path? Leaning Rugged Greatsword path to end up with Barroth Smasher. Dunno.

I'm going to do an alternate with Bone -> High Sieglinde and I'm going to aim for my main to be Longsword Dancing Hellfire.

I have 3 lances going at the same time. Never stick to 1 path!

(I had about 7 different lances when I finished playing the JP version.

sprsk said:

I have 4 right now.

1 Fire GS

1 Water GS

1 Thunder SA

1 Dragon SA

When i get far enough and figure out what works best on whom, i will eventually build myself a poison or para long sword.

variety is the spice of monster hunter!

sprsk said:

Gotta start slowly. Besides I'm going to be hoarding all my lewt for Longsword city. It sucks so much they're having to be unlocked.

I am getting really good with the Greatsword though...

Dragona Akehi said:
Gotta start slowly. Besides I'm going to be hoarding all my lewt for Longsword city. It sucks so much they're having to be unlocked.

I am getting really good with the Greatsword though...

If you need tips on GS monster strategies, feel free to PM me.

Mardak said:
Just checking, you can't have two traps out at once? I placed one to catch the Royal Ludroth, but it pushed me away as I was placing it and didn't trigger the trap. So I went to grab another trap and now I can't place it next to the sleeping boss.

No you can't at least not 2 of the same type.

I don't remember if it goes away after a while (like 10 minutes) or it has to be sprung by the monster until it breaks free.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kyuuketsu_Night said:
Well, this marks two MH dreams in a row =x

Baker said:
:lol :lol :lol

I just got done explaining last night's MH dream to my buddy.

Boney said:
Oh god, the same thing happened to me. This game is absolutely driving me insane.

gotee12 said:
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one consistently having MH-themed dreams...

Regulus Tera said:
I had a dream that MH3's developers were hired by Nintendo to help Aonuma with the new Zelda and the results were gorgeous.

Does that count as a MH3 dream?

danielsan said:
I even dreamed about carving out some monster loot last night...

omg :lol

Mardak

Where does Gobul hide to regenerate when it's almost dead in the forest area? I'm pretty sure I've gone through each area and I can't find it hiding.

Mardak

Thanks for the tip! I just got him with the timer in the red. I managed to run across it after it healed up quite a bit (~15 minutes?), but then it ran off again, and I found it much faster this time going straight to where you said.

demon arm

Starting to really love MH3 after a slow start which was basically down to missing some little details from MHF2/U. Now my item box is filling up nicely, I've just unlocked the switch axe and I'm totally enamoured. Only things I really miss anymore are the all dancing, all singing felyne cooks, the bow, the comprehensive guild card and of course good old trainer (although there's a guy in the online tavern who seems pretty familiar...). Hopefully there will be a chance for an expanded unite version of Tri somewhere down the line...

Yesterday I decided to solo some 1* online quests to get to know the city system without making a total noob of myself. I realise all of the monsters are a damned sight tougher online. Does anyone have details on how they scale from village to city quests? Also, do you get the same amount of hunter points regardless of whether you solo or party the quests?

MYE

Dammit, you guys are making it hard for me to avoid this game T_T

I just dont have the time (and patience) to play a huge, hard-as-shit game right now.
Thats why i passed on Demon's Souls too

:(

This game has so many options when it comes to making kit that I'm completely lost. I guess I'm worried of wasting loot on equipment that'll be obsolete after a brief period, so all I've made up to this point is a greatsword.

Having said that, I've just taken down my first Great Jaggi, which felt awesome, and I can't wait to get on to even bigger monsters. I guess I better hit up some wikis 'cause I sure as hell won't be able to face them with just this basic weapon and my half-nekkid ass.

MYE said:

I just dont have the time (and patience) to play a huge, hard-as-shit game right now.

You're only hurting yourself when you're purposely missing out on two uniquely awesome games :I

MYE said:

I'm feeling you. It seems like such an awesome game, but it's just the wrong time for me :(

Kevtones

Much love to Harlow, Marklar's Marklar, and Jay. Good times although I should mention that I'm fairly hammered yet I was the only one to realize that it was a Royal Ludroth Hunt (not Capture).

the good thing is offline is plenty fun unlike most online ARPG's, so if you can't play a lot right now, you can still always dabble around offline.

Top Bottom