• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

I Push Fat Kids said:
Much love to Harlow, Marklar's Marklar, and Jay. Good times although I should mention that I'm fairly hammered yet I was the only one to realize that it was a Royal Ludroth Hunt (not Capture).

hmmm, I must be more drunk than I think lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I Push Fat Kids said:
Much love to Harlow, Marklar's Marklar, and Jay. Good times although I should mention that I'm fairly hammered yet I was the only one to realize that it was a Royal Ludroth Hunt (not Capture).

Aw dude :( Sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but hunt means either capture or kill. And you always get more loot from capping :-[

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I've become quite interested in crafting myself some Rathian armor. Anybody down to hunt a few later today?

The only way I can access them currently is getting Quru to summon one on the capture quest, but the ensuing battle is a lot of fun.

Of course if somebody in the group had the actual quest that would be superior.

Alex

I'm still trying to get a plate... :lol I could have been a lot farther if I just gave up and moved on but I refuse. This is really ridiculous though, this is worse for me than the time I had on low ranks for it on MHFU.

I think my only real complaint with this new version is the total separation of the village and the city. They did some neat stuff with the village and pretty much improved on every function from the older titles but it sucks to have to jump to a specific single player mode rather than flowing between the two.

dsister44

Fistwell said:
Three more... Dont know how you do it, i wouldnt have had the emotional fortitude. I was already fucking drained after the first one.
I did really like that the second one went down with the bombs. But... he wasnt limping or anything was he? Are bombs that powerful?
Also, i am SO ready to move on to 2* quests. The egg quest sounds good. Looking forward to that rathian capture (she's fun to fight!).

Offline i'm guessing? Dunno if you'll like it. I thought the repelling quest was a little too easy. But the slaying.. god, the slaying... 45 minutes of shitty water fight for nothing (i broke all his shit up, but i couldnt finish him off). Not too fond of lagiacrus. As far as flagship monsters go, I liked fighting tigrex (much) better.

yeah egg quest seems to be one carries the egg whilst the others protect it from everything the game throws at you. soloed it yesterday and it scared the shit out of me :lol

i need a hell of a lot of lagiacrus carves since im thinking of getting his armour for underwater battles and going down his path for SnS and SA. it this adviseable or would people suggets other paths?

Tenbatsu

dsister44 said:
i need a hell of a lot of lagiacrus carves since im thinking of getting his armour for underwater battles and going down his path for SnS and SA. it this adviseable or would people suggets other paths?
For amour, try to mix around. Weapon wise, its a good choice, his final form for SA is one of my favorite weapon in MH3.

dsister44

Hawkian said:
Aw dude :( Sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but hunt means either capture or kill. And you always get more loot from capping :-[

capturing isn't always better tho. when forging my qurupeco armour i was really confused why i had 11 feathers and 6 strange beaks and 0 scales, until i realised that you can ONLY get qurupeco scales from carving it, you can't get it from capturing them.

Alex said:
I'm still trying to get a plate... :lol I could have been a lot farther if I just gave up and moved on but I refuse. This is really ridiculous though, this is worse for me than the time I had on low ranks for it on MHFU.

I think my only real complaint with this new version is the total separation of the village and the city. They did some neat stuff with the village and pretty much improved on every function from the older titles but it sucks to have to jump to a specific single player mode rather than flowing between the two.
The PS2 Monster Hunter titles had a separation of the online and offline modes that was pretty much the same as what we have in Tri. I somewhat prefer how things worked in the portable series.

Last night I played with neogaffers for the first time and it was great. I got my second rathian plate and unlocked my HR 17 urgent. Most of the quests went very smoothly.

Only comment I have is that some people need to go to their online settings and change it so that they can get messages while in quest mode. That way you can end a quest you're soloing if anyone enters your city. You can see everything they write, but while you're on a quest you don't have any way of communicating with them via anything within the game.

dsister44

Tenbatsu said:
For amour, try to mix around. Weapon wise, its a good choice, his final form for SA is one of my favorite weapon in MH3.

any advice on how to go about doing that? theres a crazy amount of different possible combinations. at the moment I have defense up (S), evasion + 1 , Recovery up and autoguard. would quite like attack up and olympic swimmer since i utterly suck at water battles but i'm not sure if i can get them without loosing my other skills

botticus

Cosmic Schwung said:
This game has so many options when it comes to making kit that I'm completely lost. I guess I'm worried of wasting loot on equipment that'll be obsolete after a brief period, so all I've made up to this point is a greatsword.

Having said that, I've just taken down my first Great Jaggi, which felt awesome, and I can't wait to get on to even bigger monsters. I guess I better hit up some wikis 'cause I sure as hell won't be able to face them with just this basic weapon and my half-nekkid ass.
I know where you're coming from, but the way to look at it is there's an unlimited amount of most materials out there. Though I haven't upgraded my armor using spheres on that point since those seem to be in far shorter supply so far and I know I'll be changing it up soon enough.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I know I should move on and forge new Armor but the Autotracker/Farsight abilities of the Hunter gear is too good when I'm hunting 'bosses'.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
FINALLY killed Barroth. This guy totally stalled all of my progress, I couldn't get jack shit done with the game, and was getting horribly frustrated after 4 attempts at him. But, I got lucky with food buffs, or finally learned his attacks or something, because the bitch went down!

The next boss was nothing in comparison! Glad to be in a new area! :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
dsister44 said:
capturing isn't always better tho. when forging my qurupeco armour i was really confused why i had 11 feathers and 6 strange beaks and 0 scales, until i realised that you can ONLY get qurupeco scales from carving it, you can't get it from capturing them.

This confirmed, MH gods?

Luigiv

Lyphen said:
FINALLY killed Barroth. This guy totally stalled all of my progress, I couldn't get jack shit done with the game, and was getting horribly frustrated after 4 attempts at him. But, I got lucky with food buffs, or finally learned his attacks or something, because the bitch went down!

The next boss was nothing in comparison! Glad to be in a new area! :lol
4 attempts? Sounds like an easy battle.

*Reminisces about my first encounters with Kut-Ku and Rathalos in MH1*

Tenbatsu

dsister44 said:
any advice on how to go about doing that? theres a crazy amount of different possible combinations. at the moment I have defense up (S), evasion + 1 , Recovery up and autoguard. would quite like attack up and olympic swimmer since i utterly suck at water battles but i'm not sure if i can get them without loosing my other skills
Do you have charms? Its easier to mix and match when you have plenty of them.

Hawkian said:
This confirmed, MH gods?
Yes.

Edit: I just cleared solo arena mode for Barroth, 11:58:D

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Luigiv said:
4 attempts? Sounds like an easy battle.

*Reminisces about my first encounters with Kut-Ku and Rathalos in MH1*
Last time I had 14 deaths against a boss was the Nightmares in Link's Awakening. This was serious.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Hawkian said:
Holy shit the % drops for the Rathian Plate are awful.

Ohhh yeah, tell me about it. I believe it gets higher from breaking the pieces on his back, which is pretttty tough to break.

Cosmic Schwung said:
This game has so many options when it comes to making kit that I'm completely lost. I guess I'm worried of wasting loot on equipment that'll be obsolete after a brief period, so all I've made up to this point is a greatsword.
I know exactly how you feel about holding back on upgrading due to the fear of your equipment becoming obsolete in a matter of hours, but like botticus said, there's unlimited materials out there... it's just a matter of putting in the time to gather them.

Also, you may want to hold onto some of the most basic pieces... for instance, my leather armor set offers all kinds of gathering bonuses. It's got +10 to speed gathering, and with a few decorations, a full +15 to gather and a full +15 to whim, so if I ever need materials, I just slap that set on and get to it... I've gone about 12 hours since having it up to that level, and I have still not broken a mega pickaxe or mega bug net... and I have SO many raw materials it's ridiculous.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that not everything will be obsolete, so don't be afraid to upgrade. Different sets will be useful for different situations... if you're heading off in a relatively non-threatening direction, don't be afraid to equip some lower-level stuff if the bonuses will help you.

So when you're experiencing a connection error during online play the game will just throw you back at the village/city menu screen without a saving prompt. That's really bad. :I
I'll definitely make sure to save after every quest from now on...

Gino

Had an Awesome/Stupid hunt last night.

We where trying to capture Qurupeco and used our trap before he was fully limping at which point I used 2 of my 3 tranqs. We did this because we had already done the mission and killed him before he limped so we where a little trigger happy with the trap.

In any-case thank god I forgot to clean out my inventory and had 2 Trap tools. We went hunting for nets and Thunderbugs. Ended up needing 2 more traps because I tried one and only hit him with the one tranq I had left...

Now I know you always need at least 2 tranqs.

It was stupid but the feeling we got when we finally captured him was awesome. We thought we screwed it up twice but we just had to keep searching for more supplies and when we eventually got him we all felt Awesome.

Hawkian said:
At what point in the game did you get disconnected?
We were starting the next quest and I was stuck in the loading screen for about one minute. Then I finally got a connection error and was send back to the tavern and immediately received another error message. At that point the game just threw me out of the online mode and I found myself in the mode selection menu.
The game did not save any progress of the two quests I've done.

Gino

Luigiv said:
Oh right, forgot that not everyone rage quits after every death :lol.
You rage quit quests?

Seems like a silly Idea sense money is much less important than monster parts.

Effect

I only have one serious issue with the game. I wish the village was larger and there were more parts to it. More npcs roaming around would be nice. I know the game's main focus is on the hunting but a more lively village to come back to would be nice. Perhaps that changes as I haven't had a lot of time to play on the last few days and I'm not very far but get the feeling it won't.

Luigiv

Gino said:
You rage quit quests?

Seems like a silly Idea sense money is much less important than monster parts.
Habit I picked up from the Original MH were monetary rewards were important (plus having my kitchen buffs were off in MHFU annoys me too).

dsister44

Tenbatsu said:
Do you have charms? Its easier to mix and match when you have plenty of them.

Edit: I just cleared solo arena mode for Barroth, 11:58:D

i have about 20 charms but most of them arn't useful to what I want. however im currently rocking one whicg gives +10 autoguard, really useful for when im using SnS

Gino

Effect said:
I only have one serious complaint about the game. I wish the village was larger and there were more parts to it. More npcs roaming around would be nice. I know the game's main focus is on the hunting but a more lively village to come back to would be nice. Perhaps that changes as I haven't had a lot of time to play on the last few days and I'm not very far but get the feeling it won't.
Play online. Then you have a City.

Effect said:
I only have one serious complaint about the game. I wish the village was larger and there were more parts to it. More npcs roaming around would be nice. I know the game's main focus is on the hunting but a more lively village to come back to would be nice. Perhaps that changes as I haven't had a lot of time to play on the last few days and I'm not very far but get the feeling it won't.

It gets better as you play... I've got quite a few extra options available compared to the way things were when I just started. As soon as you land some rare commodities and have the Argosy available, do a rare trade to upgrade your fleet of hunting ships if possible... the new areas you can send them to give you muuuuuucchhhhh better stuff... resources and money start piling up.

You'll also get a few new felyne friends at some point who are useful.

Tenbatsu

sprsk said:
Ohhh yeah, tell me about it. I believe it gets higher from breaking the pieces on his back, which is pretttty tough to break.
You can't break his back, his breakable parts are only the head and his wings.

You can get plates from its tail, drops or as rewards for breaking his head. Capture too.

dsister44 said:
i have about 20 charms but most of them arn't useful to what I want. however im currently rocking one whicg gives +10 autoguard, really useful for when im using SnS
There is only one Autoguard +10 in your entire play time, so do not sell it away!:lol

Anw, I need to work out a charm chart soon, for reference purposes.

Luigiv

sprsk said:
Tenbatsu said:

You can get plates from its tail, drops or as rewards for breaking his head. Capture too.
Her. Rathian is the Female one. And you 2 are suppose to be long time super hardcore players. *shakes head*
:p

Well in other news, MH3 finally releases in my territory tomorrow! I am excite!1

dsister44

Tenbatsu said:

There is only one Autoguard +10 in your entire play time, so do not sell it away!:lol

Anw, I need to work out a charm chart soon, for reference purposes.

although it would require a lot of work, what would really be useful is a chart showing each skill and naming every bit fo equipment that outs points in it. i'd be willing to do some work towards that should any other people be interested in such a project

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
EvilMario said:
I know I should move on and forge new Armor but the Autotracker/Farsight abilities of the Hunter gear is too good when I'm hunting 'bosses'.

We ought to form a club. I don't think I'm gonna be able to part with it until I have stocking Psychoserum down to a science or have the charms necessary to apply it to the next armor I want. :p

Luigiv said:
Her. Rathian is the Female one. And you 2 are suppose to be long time super hardcore players. *shakes head*

So true!

she's a bitch

Tenbatsu

Luigiv said:

Well in other news, MH3 finally releases in my territory tomorrow! I am excite!1
Dam guess I am getting old....>_<

dsister44 said:
although it would require a lot of work, what would really be useful is a chart showing each skill and naming every bit fo equipment that outs points in it. i'd be willing to do some work towards that should any other people be interested in such a project
The Japanese actually made an armor calculator where you can select what skills you need, set the charm you have and it can auto calculate the possible armor combinations for you. Pretty useful actually.

Hawkian said:
We ought to form a club. I don't think I'm gonna be able to part with it until I have stocking Psychoserum down to a science or have the charms necessary to apply it to the next armor I want. :p
I could part with it if I knew I was getting better skills. Playing hide and seek with a boss is not that much fun for me :/.

Gino

So do we think capcom will release any numbers on MH3 or will we have to wait for next months NPDs?

I would think they should at least release online connection numbers.

gotee12

Tenbatsu said:
The Japanese actually made an armor calculator where you can select what skills you need, set the charm you have and it can auto calculate the possible armor combinations for you. Pretty useful actually.
Is it a web based calculator? As in, possible to be Babelfished or Google Translated?

botticus said:
I know where you're coming from, but the way to look at it is there's an unlimited amount of most materials out there. Though I haven't upgraded my armor using spheres on that point since those seem to be in far shorter supply so far and I know I'll be changing it up soon enough.

Funky Functionality said:
I know exactly how you feel about holding back on upgrading due to the fear of your equipment becoming obsolete in a matter of hours, but like botticus said, there's unlimited materials out there... it's just a matter of putting in the time to gather them.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Make it seem extra dumb that I'm sitting on all these resources if using some of them will help me gather in items more quickly. I'll be sure to start making up some armour tonight.

botticus

Hawkian said:
I've decided that once my friend finishes his own set of Hunter armor, I can upgrade to Jaggi (at least for online questing with him) since at least one of us will have it. But offline... it's going to be a struggle.

Top Bottom