• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Gino

botticus said:
I've decided that once my friend finishes his own set of Hunter armor, I can upgrade to Jaggi (at least for online questing with him) since at least one of us will have it. But offline... it's going to be a struggle.
What does auto-tracker do? can't you just use paint balls?

botticus

Gino said:
It shows you where the big monsters are the minute you step into the area. Especially useful when I don't actually want to fight them (hello Ludroth in the Event Quest).

JRPereira

I've really taken a liking to the bowguns recently. I hated guns and bows with a passion in the earlier games as they were kind of junk solo, but playing online so much it's really cool to mix in all of the various shots (including some amazing long-distance recovery shots) and keep flutes handy for heals as well.

I want to make some gear with wide area (or whatever it's called now) and the fife or hornblower or whatever skill increases your horn proficiency and get some mats together for lots of health/armor/demon flutes. So far I've made one health flute so far but need to get some more lifecrystals, but haven't noticed/remembered the spot to get lifecrystals. I need to figure out where to get the mats for the other ones as well.

I can almost see why hunting horns weren't included - minus some of the more exclusive buffs, bowguns cover a lot of it already. Similar with dual swords vs. sword/shield.

I'm starting to get -really- good with long-distance unsighted recovery shots, and the latest upgrade to my gun gives me 3x firing with it. I can heal teammates to full real quick and reliably so long as I can get a clear shot.

--------

Regarding Wii speak - I probably never should've bought it - we just need to get everyone into a skype conference or vent or something. Wii speak is garbled garbage.

----

Gino said:

Auto tracker tells you right away - it's a bit more convenient, especially in quests vs an easy monster that you want to just get to and kill. I bet the hunter gear would be really nice for jaggi/etc. farming in moga forest when you can just repeatedly run in and kill and not even worry about health/sharpness/etc.

Teknoman

Time to do some Barroth farming...guy was pretty easy for me the first time, but I really dont like that stupid fish.

Never got the take a break warning :lol

EDIT: As long as people have a keyboard too, since some hunters might not have a PC near their normal gaming area.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gino said:

Autotracker/Farsight is useful for a couple of things; you know where the boss is at all times, whereas you have to find him first to paintball him, and it seemingly 'wears off' after a while. It also frees up two item slots, because you don't need to carry around Paint Balls and the Map.

I'm a hammer user (right now) though, and having such weak defensive armor while wildly swinging my hammer is sure to come back and bite me at some point. :lol

JRPereira

Teknoman said:
What does affinity do? Higher critical rates?

Yup, it's pretty literally your crit chance (50% higher/lower damage, I think?). Red flash meant a critical hit (150%), purple means a 50% damage hit (negative crit or whatever you call it).

Unless it changed or something in MH3.

Teknoman said:
What does affinity do? Higher critical rates?
I'd like to know this too... but what I'd really like to know is how it's calculated. One of the weapons I could forge shows a 10% affinity... is that due to my armor setup? Or would it have that 10% regardless? It's just the use of the word "affinity" that's throwing me off... seems like it should have something to do with your active skills or armor or some sort of variable like that.

JRPereira

I think some armor can increase it (right?), but some weapons have innate affinities. For example, Tigrex's greatsword in the PSP games would have a negative affinity chance, having like a 50% (-50 affinity) chance to do 50% less damage. However, upgrading that to Naruga's greatsword (my almighty Hidden Blaze, which was totally bad-ass) had a 50% (50 affinity) chance to do 150% damage. Some monster attack debuffs reduce it (dragonblight or something). I think there's some sort of buff to increase it too, but I'm not sure. I remember there being a mention of a crtitical draw skill where all draw attacks for a BM are criticals (which would be pretty badass with a 3x greatsword charge on a sleeping monster (3x damage on sleepers).

I wish I knew the exact damage a greatsword does per charge level - I've heard anything from 140% damage max (compared to 30-40% damage regular swings) to doing 9x a normal swing's worth of damage (making a 3x charge on a sleeping monster do like 27 swings worth of damage - and add a crit to that for 40.5 swings worth of damage).

If the higher figure is right, then carrying a lot of sleep stuff (having lots of sleep shots, putting together sleeping knives, and having sleep element gear) plus having a really high raw damage great sword user and just repeat sleeping a monster would be insanely brutal.

Dear Lagi,

I hate your face.

-MiniBoss

I fought Lagiacrus five times last night (everyone seems to have that urgent) and I have to say its not a fun hunt for me. I have such a hard time gauging distance in the water and hate getting caught in the electric shock. Oh well, I am sure my friends will want to farm him to no end.

ramus

Neo Member
Tenbatsu said:
The Japanese actually made an armor calculator where you can select what skills you need, set the charm you have and it can auto calculate the possible armor combinations for you. Pretty useful actually.

Care to provide a link? Sounds quite useful.

In any case, 4* online (HR31-40) is so tedious. The only thing to do here is grind Rathians... again.

Baker

Banned
MiniBossBattle said:
Dear Lagi,

I hate your face.

-MiniBoss

I fought Lagiacrus five times last night (everyone seems to have that urgent) and I have to say its not a fun hunt for me. I have such a hard time gauging distance in the water and hate getting caught in the electric shock. Oh well, I am sure my friends will want to farm him to no end.
Yeah, he was a pain in the ass. After 4-5 fails (two being time limit), I just decided to completely cheese him and went into the fight with 10 mega potions, 10 potions, and 10 herbs.

He's not overly hard, because most of his attacks are easily avoided. However, I just get so impatient with that hit once/retreat tactic. I swear there are parts where the game just randomly decides if you are going to live or die too (specifically when it comes to getting stunned and the subsequent attack).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ramus said:
Care to provide a link? Sounds quite useful.

In any case, 4* online (HR31-40) is so tedious. The only thing to do here is grind Rathians... again.

Want help? I wanna make some Rathian armor.

botticus said:
It shows you where the big monsters are the minute you step into the area. Especially useful when I don't actually want to fight them (hello Ludroth in the Event Quest).
If you want to fight them, it's also great- like for the random rathians in any one star quest that doesn't have an obscene time limit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dragon Girl's Diary of a Monster Hunter is awesome.

No sooner did I sit down than a fellow who introduced himself as Brannon pulled up an ale next to me and regaled me with stories of live capturing monsters for culinary use.

Apparently, he was contracted by a felyne chef to bring in fresh ingredients, with the Qurupeco being today's target.

He tells me this colorful wyvern tastes like chicken. I have to wonder though, if it tastes like chicken, why not just use chicken? Well, I have no talent for cooking so I figure the chef knows his business better than I.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Whats a good weapon to take down the Barroth quickly? Originally I tried the GS, but it was too dull, everything bounced, then I got a Sword and shield with a bit of green sharpness and that did the trick, but I spent a lot of time sharpening.

Im thinking a ranged weapon or a Hammer would do the trick, any opinions?

evangd007

Hawkian said:
We ought to form a club. I don't think I'm gonna be able to part with it until I have stocking Psychoserum down to a science or have the charms necessary to apply it to the next armor I want. :p

In flooded forest you can trade Royal Rhinos to the Veggie Elder in area 6 (enter from area 4) for psychoserums.

Kyoufu

Couldn't find the info so I apologise for asking, but can I get confirmation on if EU and NA players can play together?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
In the last two days I've completed my Lagiacrus, Rathalos, AND Barioth armor sets.

So nice. :D Between those three I think I'm pretty well covered for just about anything for quite a while.

Eteric Rice

Okay, yeah, my hammer is just to annoying. I might try to unlock the long sword today. I'm tired of my hammer bouncing off of shit. And then when it's not bouncing off of stuff, it needs to be sharpened. :(

Gino

Seraphis Cain said:
In the last two days I've completed my Lagiacrus, Rathalos, AND Barioth armor sets.

So nice. :D Between those three I think I'm pretty well covered for just about anything for quite a while.
Did you remember to eat, sleep, and breath? You know... IRL?

Hawkian said:
You have to sharpen HAMMERS? I thought that was like half the appeal.

Agreed that. I love the game but this is just dumb. Couldn't they come up with something more sensible? Bows need to be reloaded, edged weapons sharpened and blunt weapons...c'mon, there's got to be something to fill that niche. Any ideas?

DragonGirl said:
Agreed that. I love the game but this is just dumb. Couldn't they come up with something more sensible? Bows need to be reloaded, edged weapons sharpened and blunt weapons...c'mon, there's got to be something to fill that niche. Any ideas?
You're polishing off all that monster blood that degrades your weapon's performance and that blood is like a lacquer that takes a whetstone to grind off.

Hawkian said:
You have to sharpen HAMMERS? I thought that was like half the appeal.
The maneuverability while charging a strong attack is what makes hammers so great. They can be quite troublesome when playing online, though. The splash damage for some attacks is huge and can easily send your teammates flying. :I

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gino said:
Did you remember to eat, sleep, and breath? You know... IRL?

Heh. Didn't say I'd only worked on them in the past two days. :lol Just that I finally finished them. I was pretty close to being able to get all three, so I just spent the past couple of days finishing them all up. Got lucky with the Plate drops for Lagi and Rath as well. So that was a huge help.

Kevtones

Hawkian said:
Aw dude :( Sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but hunt means either capture or kill. And you always get more loot from capping :-[

Oh well!

They all wanted to quit once we ran out of traps and I was like F DAT business and went and slayed the beast.

DataBot

I played today with random 4 guys, did a some quests with them while i told them i need lagi horns .
Than we agreed after making quests for everyone, that we will do lagi next.
A guy named Gagy or or gaga or something picks Hunt Diablos quest they all joined,
but we agreed on lagi so i thought ok wtf than next round i joined them.

After 30 min , 9 Megapotions, 6 Adamant Seeds and Might Seeds later Diablos almost dead .
This Gagy guy died 2 times already, than im telling him: Wtf be careful dude!
Than he dies a 3rd time - Game Over he left the city the second he died.

After we came back from this we all split and i was left behind to quest myself after helping them .....

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I was using a Great Sword for the first ten hours, but the power behind my Plume Flint hammer more than makes up for having to sharpen it every couple of minutes. Once I have the required items for the next in its line (Rathalos series), it won't be as much of a problem.

I plan on having either a Great Sword/Switch Axe that compliments the fire affinity as well, but we'll see what the end results are.

Haunted

This game is truly fantastic.

Deep and satisfying combat mechanics plus Diablo-style loot plus extensive(!) customization and crafting equals awesome.

The great graphical presentation and overall high production values also help. Tri is extremely polished, like very few games are these days.

I was absolutely not expecting to be this enthralled by this game after my meh experience with the PSP games. I am pleased.

Haunted said:
This game is truly fantastic.

Deep and satisfying combat mechanics plus Diablo-style loot plus extensive(!) customization and crafting equals awesome.

The great graphical presentation and overall high production values also help. Tri is extremely polished, like very few games are these days.

I was absolutely not expecting to be this enthralled by this game after my meh experience with the PSP games. I am pleased.
Is this game worth it for 4 friends, 3 of which love diablo and 1 who generally dislikes it (me), to play over Wii?

SYNTAX182

Raging Spaniard said:
Whats a good weapon to take down the Barroth quickly? Originally I tried the GS, but it was too dull, everything bounced, then I got a Sword and shield with a bit of green sharpness and that did the trick, but I spent a lot of time sharpening.

Im thinking a ranged weapon or a Hammer would do the trick, any opinions?

Get the Sharpener Armor Skill so you can sharpen in one swipe. Very convenient skill for dull weapons.

DataBot said:
I played today with random 4 guys, did a some quests with them while i told them i need lagi horns .
Than we agreed after making quests for everyone, that we will do lagi next.
A guy named Gagy or or gaga or something picks Hunt Diablos quest they all joined,
but we agreed on lagi so i thought ok wtf than next round i joined them.

After 30 min , 9 Megapotions, 6 Adamant Seeds and Might Seeds later Diablos almost dead .
This Gagy guy died 2 times already, than im telling him: Wtf be careful dude!
Than he dies a 3rd time - Game Over he left the city the second he died.

After we came back from this we all split and i was left behind to quest myself after helping them .....
Moral of the story. Play with gaf bros only :) WE GET SHIT DONE.

Mega props to my homies pancho, dktrix? DrKirby, DESHAWN, and some others who all were awesome. Ill be playing later today (possibly soon) so 2 star questin it up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GregLombardi said:
Is this game worth it for 4 friends, 3 of which love diablo and 1 who generally dislikes it (me), to play over Wii?

It's very, very, very, very, very, very slightly like Diablo.

Baker

Banned
SYNTAX182 said:
Get the Sharpener Armor Skill so you can sharpen in one swipe. Very convenient skill for dull weapons.
I've seen a couple mentions of "pick up X skill." How the hell do you pick up skills?

Is it just another way to talk about decorations/necklaces?

DataBot

kafka rock opera said:
Moral of the story. Play with gaf bros only :) WE GET SHIT DONE.

Mega props to my homies pancho, dktrix? DrKirby, DESHAWN, and some others who all were awesome. Ill be playing later today (possibly soon) so 2 star questin it up.

Yeah you are right, ill be on the GAF server: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40 in 15 minutes. You are 2 * i need 2 Gobul Spikes if ya will help me ill help you guys reach 3* .
Than we will kill Lagi together thats the urgent for reaching 3* if im not wrong.

Edit: My MH3 Nick is Rugalo btw

Baker said:
I've seen a couple mentions of "pick up X skill." How the hell do you pick up skills?

Each piece of armor has a skill bonus(sharpener, sharpness, attack up) which is represented in a +2 or -1 and the number can be different than those two examples. It generally takes about +10 total throughout your charms and armor. then you get a bonus. like sharpener. Sorta weird at first but now it makes sense.

SYNTAX182

Baker said:

I'm not the best at explaining but yes, you can get skills from armors and also by attaching decorations to your armor/weapon slots. You can also get them from charms as well. You need at least 10 points to acquire a skill.

You can check what skills you have by going to Status on the menu in the game on the 4th page I think.

Edit: Beaten

Eteric Rice said:
Okay, yeah, my hammer is just to annoying. I might try to unlock the long sword today. I'm tired of my hammer bouncing off of shit. And then when it's not bouncing off of stuff, it needs to be sharpened. :(

You need to aim at the monster's weakest/softest spot (most of the time being the head) and make every hit count. Plus with the Hammer giving the KO status that's like free hits.

The sharpening is a bit annoying but if you actually make the hit count you u can do some good damage before sharpening.

Haunted

GregLombardi said:
It's a classic console ARPG, make no mistake. Gameplay and combat mechanics are closer to traditional third person melee games than the clicky nature of Diablo.

The 4 player online co-op is great fun, though. Check out some videos and maybe the demo to see whether you guys like it.

Hiltz

I'm getting frusterated by not being able to obtain a King's Frill. I've killed 4 more Great Jaggi's and captured another one with a shock trap and 2 tranquilizer bombs.

Each time I have slashed off the Great Jaggi's Frill. :(

Question: Anyone know how to obtain a Mega Demon Drug/Bug (not sure which one it is) ?
I assume that you have to combine two objects together.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
On the Monster Hunter Wiki Carves listings.. the brown color and blue colors mean what? Defeat/Capture? If so, the King's Frill is only 35% drop on the G.Jaggi when killed, but 70% when captured.

Top Bottom