• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

evangd007

Reknoc said:
Sorry if this has been asked before and I'm incredibly embarressed to ask this; doing the Kelbi Horn level 1 quest, I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to get them, it says to K.O them but I only ever did that once accidently and have no idea what I did. Any particular items or weapons that'll help me with this?

GS kick + side slap also works (+ then x).

dsister44

sillymonkey321 said:
After 3 gobul encounters i managed to get my 2 gobul spikes needed for the paralyze SnS.

Question:

Can Sword and Shield cut tails off?

yes they can, obviously they dont do as much damage as the other weapons but their speend allows you to get more attacks in.

Nicktals

Banned
Can someone talk a bit about cutting off tails?

I haven't done it in single player, and haven't been online yet. I use a GS. Will I be able to do it? How? On what monsters? What are the benefits? Can I do it to a boss' (like great jaggi) corpse before it disappears?

Sorry, I'm a noob to the series, and have a pretty good grasp on the game, I think, but haven't done that yet, and have no idea what exactly the point is (besides presumably damaging the monster a great deal)

Owzers

I currently stick to Sword and Shield because it helps me not die as much. Soon as i get comfortable with it and some of the bosses i'm going to branch out Xp. I still get hit a LOT though....

Boney

Banned
To cut tails, just keep attacking the tail of the monster. I don't think it works for all monsters, but it definately works against big monster like the Great Jaggi. Just focus on the tail and make charge slashes.
You can carve the tail for an extra loot and complete subquests. Also if it attacks with the tail, the attack will be hindered. (right?)

Owzers

Nicktals said:

I haven't done it in single player, and haven't been online yet. I use a GS. Will I be able to do it? How? On what monsters? What are the benefits? Can I do it to a boss' (like great jaggi) corpse before it disappears?

Sorry, I'm a noob to the series, and have a pretty good grasp on the game, I think, but haven't done that yet, and have no idea what exactly the point is (besides presumably damaging the monster a great deal)

I think you have to cut it off before the boss dies and for a lot of bosses cutting off tails or other parts are part of the Subquests, also when you cut off a tail you can carve it for a loot item. You should be able to do it with a great sword ( especially if it works for sword/shield). go by the tail, charge that great sword up, and CHOMP.

Boney said:
To cut tails, just keep attacking the tail of the monster. I don't think it works for all monsters, but it definately works against big monster like the Great Jaggi. Just focus on the tail and make charge slashes.
You can carve the tail for an extra loot and complete subquests. Also if it attacks with the tail, the attack will be hindered. (right?)
I don't think Jaggi's tail can be cut off.

When you cut off a tail, their tail based attacks have less range and that's very helpful when dealing with bosses like rathian and rathalos. Also, there are materials that can only be carved from the tail.

sammy

Nicktals said:

It can be tough in single-player to get at some of the tails, the swords work great. There's usually two areas (tip and base) to hit at ---- and keep in mind many sections of the beasts work like this. You can bust up the face, knock the claws of wings, scar up chests, etc. depending on what you've busted up is going to give you some rarer carves.
One of the reasons why MH is so stimulating, getting good at this kind of fight. Need that rare piece? Well, if you have an idea of what part it breaks off of get to farming that monster :]

selig

Banned
Can someone explain to me why so many players I meet online dont get that when you failed the main mission, you can still finish a sub-quest and thus get what you collected? Most either quit or fight till death.

JRPereira

selig said:
Can someone explain to me why so many players I meet online dont get that when you failed the main mission, you can still finish a sub-quest and thus get what you collected? Most either quit or fight till death.

Probably because they didn't pay attention to it and/or are used to how the earlier games had it set up.

According to UPS, my MHTri bundle is arriving today (a day early). Hooray!

I'm not sure how soon I'll be getting online, though. I was totally lost during the demo, so it might take a while before I'm confident enough to play with my fellow GAFers. Also, I'm hoping that the Wii Speak issue gets fixed soon.

Khezu

Not sure if you can really spoil a game like this but, just to be on the safe side.

Just killed a ceadues last night, gotta say kinda disappointed with him, all he is, is lao, but underwater. His armor is alright looking, but it seems to require a rare drop for the chest, which kinda sucks. Also, can you fight him online or is he kinda like monoblos?

Nicktals

Banned
I'm online, for the first time...trying to get a hang of it. Might take on a great jaggi hunt in a minute, after a quick break. I think I'm in the right place, but not totally sure.

EDIT: "our" location is Recruiting > Wisdom 1 > Gate 40, right?

EDIT 2: Well, i'm not totally sure I'm doing this right...but after selecting gate 40, I created "City 1", and am hanging out at the quest board while i take a break a minute.

EDIT 3!: Even if you can't play right now, can someone tell me if I'm doing the online stuff right?

Danielsan

Ughh some people are terrible at this game online,
Not saying I'm amazing or anything, but for fuck's sake people when your health is down, heal!

Owzers

Danielsan said:
Not saying I'm amazing or anything, but for fuck's sake people when your health is down, heal!

You're directing this at me aren't you? AREN'T YOU????????????

Nicktals

Banned
Danielsan said:

I know how to heal! Come help me capture a great jaggi! I hear they're tougher online, so I was going to wait until more people join, but I'm getting antsy!

Baker

Banned
Nicktals said:
EDIT 3!: Even if you can't play right now, can someone tell me if I'm doing the online stuff right?
That's right. However, if there's already a city there, it's infinitely better to wander into it instead of making a new one.

Danielsan

sillymonkey321 said:
You're directing this at me aren't you? AREN'T YOU????????????
I'm directing this at whoever just caused us to lose a Royal Ludroth hunt. :p
Ughh I just need two sponges so I can complete my set and move on...

Nicktals

Banned
Baker said:
That's right. However, if there's already a city there, it's infinitely better to wander into it instead of making a new one.

Yeah, there wasn't one, I checked.

One last question: If i start a quest by myself, can someone else join me mid-quest? If so, I'm just going to start.

Owzers

Nicktals said:
I know how to heal! Come help me capture a great jaggi! I hear they're tougher online, so I was going to wait until more people join, but I'm getting antsy!

I'll join! i need a quick hunt before tennis and jaggi is short. and no they can't join midquest

Baker

Banned
Nicktals said:
Yeah, there wasn't one, I checked.

One last question: If i start a quest by myself, can someone else join me mid-quest? If so, I'm just going to start.
Nope.

However, you can always just do a resource gathering quest because even those are more fun than running in circles around town.

Edit: I think there's an option somewhere to turn on the city chat while in a mission. That would let you know when anyone joins the room.

1) I'm not 100% that's true.
2) I have no idea what it does to connection performance.

Nicktals

Banned
Well, captured the jaggi just fine, but didn't get the king's frill i was after...do they give those away in online? Maybe just didn't damage the head enough.

hiro4

So captured great jaggi tonight. Finally. Did it in 15 min max so that went great.

Great thing to see great jaggis in moga woods. Killed 2 of them for resource points so I can do some more farming and fishing without worrying.

Gonna score myself a shakalaka tomorrow!

Danielsan

Is there some kind of trick to getting spongy hides from the Royal Ludroth?
I must have slain at least ten of them today and I haven't gotten a single one.
I keeping slashing its mane but all I get is dash extracts and wyvern tears...

Went on two more barroth hunts tonight. First one was intense. Was out of stamina surprisingly quickly. Thankfully, kozy shared some rations. Went down to the wire, barroth only started limping around 48, 49 minutes in.
On our second run, we ended up finishing him up with a trap + large barrel bombs. Good times.
Thanks for the help, kozy, eric and fred and ozoko !

Teknoman

Danielsan said:
Is there some kind of trick to getting spongy hides from the Royal Ludroth?
I must have slain at least ten of them today and I haven't gotten a single one.
I keeping slashing its mane but all I get is dash extracts and wyvern tears...

Capture if you can.

Fistwell said:
Went on two more barroth hunts tonight. First one was intense. Was out of stamina surprisingly quickly. Thankfully, kozy shared some rations. Went down to the wire, barroth only started limping around 48, 49 minutes in.
On our second run, we ended up finishing him up with a trap + large barrel bombs. Good times.
Thanks for the help, kozy, eric and fred.

My connection keeps dropping which is pissing me off immensely,so im still stuck needing to kill that asshole. Beat him 4 times in offline mode easy but online ugh..

Johnlenham said:
My connection keeps dropping which is pissing me off immensely,so im still stuck needing to kill that asshole. Beat him 4 times in offline mode easy but online ugh..
I'm supposed to help eric tackle it tomorrow. Let's all do it together (yet again) if you're around tomorrow night (and if your connection holds!).

Remfin

Remfin's newbie tips:

Abuse the crap out of single player. Your farm and fishing fleet should always be working on something--you're gonna need those herbs and blue mushrooms for the rest of your career, so that's a good thing to harvest if you don't have anything else in mind. Also, when the ship captain is in port consumables at the item shop are half-off; Trap tools, Tranquilizers, and resource-gathering tools are things to stock up on! You can speed up time (for your farm and fleet) by sleeping through the nights, so what I've done is things like go free-hunt a Great Jaggi or two then return to village during the day, and then sleep...plenty of resource points to fuel my farming, and I get "double" time credit.

Use the online Trade Lady (Fishmongress model in the first city screen). I think the other day I was able to trade 1 Sharpened Fang for 10 Blue Mushrooms each; I had a gazillion of those fangs and I don't think they really have a use besides some ammo.

Capture EVERYTHING. OK, maybe not Great Jaggi and Quru, but for everything else this will save you tons of time and should give you extra items. Capturing counts as kills for the "Hunt" quests so it's perfectly fine there. Everyone should always be carrying at least traps and tranqs, and maybe even the stuff to make more traps.

Anything from a supply box not marked (Supply Item) stays with you. When you start doing those desert quests grab those Hot and Cool Drinks regardless of whether you need them for that quest, because you're going to want them later in your career.

Finally decided to go take on a Great Jaggi, turned out to be pretty easy!

Killed another one on a trip into the woods right after. Those two kills gave me everything I needed for all the Jaggi armor (blade) save for the helmet... I need two more Great Jaggi claws and I'll have the helmet... and wouldn't you know it, tomorrow's forecast? Great Jaggi spotted!

I am digging this game so much. :D

NomarTyme

oracrest said:
What is the GAF steam group?

Is there a particular server that Gaffers go to play on?
Read the op!

Recruit/Wisdom 1/Gate 40

Remfin said:
Remfin's newbie tips:

Abuse the crap out of single player. Your farm and fishing fleet should always be working on something--you're gonna need those herbs and blue mushrooms for the rest of your career, so that's a good thing to harvest if you don't have anything else in mind.
You can also stock up on potion in online mode in you want! :D

Top Bottom