• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

botticus

Hiltz said:
I'm getting frusterated by not being able to obtain a King's Frill. I've killed 4 more Great Jaggi's and captured another one with a shock trap and 2 tranquilizer bombs.

Each time I have slashed off the Great Jaggi's Frill. :(
Yikes, that's unlucky. I was bummed I only got 2 Frills after five broken heads (1) and a capture (1).

gotee12

Hiltz said:
I'm getting frusterated by not being able to obtain a King's Frill. I've killed 4 more Great Jaggi's and captured another one with a shock trap and 2 tranquilizer bombs.
I hit a king frill drought last night. Out of six captures I only got 3 frills. I had previous to last night a 100% success rate with breaking great jaggi's head, capturing and then getting a kings frill. Though I do believe you ONLY get a frill from a capture, not a kill (at least that's the only way I get them).

edit: according to Botticus above you can also get them from kills, interesting....

botticus

gotee12 said:
I hit a king frill drought last night. Out of six captures I only got 3 frills. I had previous to last night a 100% success rate with breaking great jaggi's head, capturing and then getting a kings frill. Though I do believe you ONLY get a frill from a capture, not a kill (at least that's the only way I get them).

edit: according to Botticus above you can also get them from kills, interesting....
The one I got outside of a capture was actually by completing the subquest in the Jaggi hunt quest (and then quitting).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
gotee12 said:

Reference this; http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Monster_Carves_&_Rewards#Great_Jaggi

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you guys are still around, I'm heading on...

EDIT: meh you guys found somebody huh :p

Oh well, I gotta do a bunch of offline quests anyway.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Regarding Wii Speak, it is pretty horrible. For games like Animal Crossing, Wii Speak Channel, and what not, it's perfect though. Is it just Capcom's servers not able to keep up, or something else?

Haunted

EvilMario said:
On the Monster Hunter Wiki Carves listings.. the brown color and blue colors mean what? Defeat/Capture? If so, the King's Frill is only 35% drop on the G.Jaggi when killed, but 70% when captured.
I believe brown is for offline and low level online enemies, blue for high level (HR 31+) online enemies.

I think.

Baker

Banned
Haunted said:
I believe brown is for offline and low level online enemies, blue for high level (HR 31+) online enemies.

I think.
It has to be along those lines. There's no way it's kill/capture because there are no body carves in capturing.

Reknoc

Woah Great Jaggi was alot harder than I expected it to be. Still, managed to do the hunt and capture quests. Then my friend wanted to go online and fight it but his power cut out during the quest... managed to bash it's head in and decided to end on the subquest. Pleasently surprised to get the frills I needed :D

Teknoman

Ko'd again...augh im gonna fillet that fish! I can fight Ludroths and Royal Ludroths under water no problem, but that fish...keep aiming for its lantern for subquest...so maybe thats my problem.

I'm really comfortable with the lance now but I'm curious as to the likelihood of being able to "break" or "chop off" bits that the sub quests require.

Should I stick with the lance for strictly online play and just rely on the switch axe to tear shit up single player?

Teknoman said:
Ko'd again...augh im gonna fillet that fish! I can fight Ludroths and Royal Ludroths under water no problem, but that fish...keep aiming for its lantern for subquest...so maybe thats my problem.

What weapon are you using? Maybe i can help you form a strategy.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
bigdaddygamebot said:
I'm really comfortable with the lance now but I'm curious as to the likelihood of being able to "break" or "chop off" bits that the sub quests require.

Should I stick with the lance for strictly online play and just rely on the switch axe to tear shit up single player?

I suggest having all kinds of shit floating around. I always have a good Hammer, Switch Axe, Sword and Shield and Long Sword at the ready!

ARggggg! What's better to use against gobul? I use GS & lance... Stupid fish thing! I tried fighting it just now with my lance and after a while he just flew out of the water and didn't come back... and my paintball wore off so I gave up.

Also, is there anyway to not get dizzy when it flashes its light?

bigdaddygamebot said:

Depends entirely on the monster and what you feel you need to be safe.

I go with Switch axe on monsters like Royal Ludroth because he is so easy to roll away from and dodge. Monsters like rathian though, who move back quickly and fireball, i dont because i need to be able to block when appropriate after getting in a few hits

Raging Spaniard said:
I suggest having all kinds of shit floating around. I always have a good Hammer, Switch Axe, Sword and Shield and Long Sword at the ready!

Fella...that is SO resource intensive. Atleast I think it is. o_O ...isn't it?

Also...I'm old. My neural pathways seize up at the thought of trying to get good with ALL the weapons.

Oh you...you crazy young whipper-snapper you.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Depends entirely on the monster and what you feel you need to be safe.

I go with Switch axe on monsters like Royal Ludroth because he is so easy to roll away from and dodge. Monsters like rathian though, who move back quickly and fireball, i dont because i need to be able to block when appropriate after getting in a few hits

Okay...that was definitely along the same lines that I was thinking. I'll just rely on multiplayer to assist with getting the rarer mat drops from smashing shit off the monsters.

I feel ABSOLUTELY naked without a shield. Like..."That's a fuckin' dragon!!! WHY don't you have a shield?!?!?!"

Baker

Banned
Kyuuketsu_Night said:
Also, is there anyway to not get dizzy when it flashes its light?
Swim far enough away while it's charging and the flash won't stun you.

I think I'm going to hop online in ~30 minutes before I get sucked into SSF4 again.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
bigdaddygamebot said:
Fella...that is SO resource intensive. Atleast I think it is. o_O ...isn't it?

Also...I'm old. My neural pathways seize up at the thought of trying to get good with ALL the weapons.

Oh you...you crazy young whipper-snapper you.

I dunno, I used to be all about the Hammer until Tigrex and co. were beating the shit out of, then I saw I could make a pretty bitching poison sword and shield, so I tried it out and I was killing shit left and right! Getting the shit you need for ultimate weapons can be pretty annoying, but after you play for a while you build up enough loot that you can always make a pretty decent weapon at any point, then you look up what combos do the most damage and after that youre golden (mostly because the basic idea of avoiding enemies and hitting the right places will stay with you no matter what weapon you choose)

I have NOT figured out Lances though :(

PRO TIP FOR FIGHTING GOBUL:

First and foremost: FISH THAT SUCKA OUT. I forget the area number, but it almost always starts in the half land/pond area in the middle of the map. Do not jump into the water. Instead, go to the log where you can fish and use a frog. No other fish will eat a frog so dont worry. You will soon see gobul coming up to the surface. Don't freak out and do not press anything. Eventually he will bite it and the camera will switch positions and he will plop out of the water and flail on land for a very long period of time.

Use this precious time to knock the hell out of its lantern or some free hits on the tail.

To dodge the lantern flash, you have to carefully time an underwater dash with b, or simply block it. You can jump/evade it to if you get the timing right.

Fast weapons are preferable so use them when you can. Lightning is its weakness.

Also, bring sonic bombs which can stun it for a few seconds when its under the seabed giving you some free hits. Do not waste them when he is in rage mode however as they will not work. You can tell he is in rage mode by the spikes on his back sticking out, or his eyes glowing.

Teknoman

Gamer @ Heart said:
What weapon are you using? Maybe i can help you form a strategy.

Still on SnS since I havent unlocked long sword. I plan on specializing in both, and the highest raw damage weapon I have atm is the Bone Tomahawk. I'm probably just being too hasty since I had no problem with Barroth.

Raging Spaniard said:
I dunno, I used to be all about the Hammer until Tigrex and co. were beating the shit out of, then I saw I could make a pretty bitching poison sword and shield, so I tried it out and I was killing shit left and right! Getting the shit you need for ultimate weapons can be pretty annoying, but after you play for a while you build up enough loot that you can always make a pretty decent weapon at any point, then you look up what combos do the most damage and after that youre golden (mostly because the basic idea of avoiding enemies and hitting the right places will stay with you no matter what weapon you choose)

I have NOT figured out Lances though :(

I LOVE the lances. When everyone else is scattering out of the way, I'm all, "Don't worry. I've got this."

The shield will eat nearly all of the attacks that are thrown your way throughout the game.

Also, once you get your rhythm down, you can ALMOST circle-strafe a monster.

• Two Jabs
  • Sidestep right
  • Pivot a little bit to the left
Repeat.

I doubt I'll ever do anything sexy or flashy with the lance but once you get your blocking and attacking down, your survivability is quite good.

You want sex AND flash. Get thee a gunlance sir.
I miss my gunlance.

Raging Spaniard

Also, for the noobs, learning this saved my ass so many times:

If youre low on health do NOT take your weapon off until its safe. Usually this means roll out of the way, then put your weapon away, then heal. I see a lot of people needing to heal dying pretty quickly because in the middle of danger they had to wait for the "put weapon away" animation to happen. Get to a safe distance, then do what you need to do.

When you have no weapon on and you dodge, your guy will kind of vault himself out of the way. This is the best dodge in the game as it has more invincibility frames than any other. Specially useful when a monster is charging at you directly. So keep it in mind when you know you need to dodge an incoming attack.

Remfin

Sorry Insaniac, only had time for one hunt! Good one though, sorry for dying on you like that :(

Newbie tip: Button mashing gets you out of stun faster (I dunno what button, I'm hitting them all...maybe just A). I think Gobul attacks fast enough after stunning you won't be able to dodge, but something else stunned me (Rathian?) and I got out just in time to dodge it, and obviously getting out of stun faster when you aren't the target is still very useful.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Remfin said:
Sorry Insaniac, only had time for one hunt! Good one though, sorry for dying on you like that :(

Newbie tip: Button mashing gets you out of stun faster (I dunno what button, I'm hitting them all...maybe just A). I think Gobul attacks fast enough after stunning you won't be able to dodge, but something else stunned me (Rathian?) and I got out just in time to dodge it, and obviously getting out of stun faster when you aren't the target is still very useful.

I rotate my analog stick and the stun goes away noticeably faster.

Haunted

Someone said there's a shop to buy raw meat from in the online city, but I'm not seeing it. It would certainly be convenient - does anyone know?

Remfin said:
Why button mash when you can feed him a dung bomb! Much more satisfying, too.

edit: oh wait, stun not getting pinned down, my bad. :)

Pancho

Qurupancho
Haunted said:
Someone said there's a shop to buy raw meat from in the online city, but I'm not seeing it. It would be pretty damn convenient, does anyone know.

Never seen such thing, you could check with the vendors at the entrance of a city though.

Nicktals

Banned
Okay, two questions. What's the best way to get dung/super dung?

And, how do I get charms? I don't think I have any, and have no idea what anyone was talking about.

Remfin

Nicktals said:
Okay, two questions. What's the best way to get dung/super dung?
Free hunt in Moga Island, kill the stegosaurus things, and then report your kills. The really big ones award Super. I think there is also a dung gather spot at the wyvern nest thingy

And, how do I get charms? I don't think I have any, and have no idea what anyone was talking about.
It's pretty random. But if you want to get a huge selection, go online and farm the current Event Quest with some people; you get 3-5 every time and it takes all of like 10 minutes.

I just got through killing 2 G. Jaggies and 1 R. Ludrouth without dying in Moga Woods! :D

But is it possible to combine Mega Potion with anything to make it more powerful to heal more HP?

Insaniac

Hero of Legend said:
I just got through killing 2 G. Jaggies and 1 R. Ludrouth without dying in Moga Woods! :D

But is it possible to combine Mega Potion with anything to make it more powerful to heal more HP?

not sure but i did a mega nutrients + dragonsomething mushroom and it gave me a max potion

Danielsan

Played some online games today but hardly made any progress because everyone kept on dying against Barroth. :(
Some people said his hits took out 75% of their health.
I guess these people are wearing shitty non-upgraded armour or something.

Kicked Lagiacrus ass for the first time and captured a great Baggi.
I now need to get some Baggi hides so that I can create a long sword.
Also tried my hand at hunting Gigginox and failed miserably.
Next time I'm bringing a shit ton of antidotes...

Hero of Legend said:

Nope but you can Make a Max Potion (Max heath) and Ancient potion (Max health and Max stamina) with other materials. Downside to these is the limit you can carry on you (2 for Max, 1 for Ancient)

Max Potion - Mega Nutrients + Dragon Toadstool

Ancient Potion - Immunizer + Kelbi Horn

Note: Max means bar goes to the end of the screen.

Top Bottom