• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Dreavus

Danielsan said:
Played some online games today but hardly made any progress because everyone kept on dying against Barroth. :(
Some people said his hits took out 75% of their health.
I guess these people are wearing shitty non-upgraded armour or something.

Kicked Lagiacrus ass for the first time and captured a great Baggi.
I now need to get some Baggi hides so that I can create a long sword.
Also tried my hand at hunting Gigginox and failed miserably.
Next time I'm bringing a shit ton of antidotes...

Gigginox is a huge pain in the ass. My first attempt I tried to run back to camp while poisoned and died on the way there, and ended up turning in the subquests and getting the hell out. Second attempt I forgot to bring more antidotes but I did bring more potions. A couple times I just turned tail and ran back to camp while poisoned when I ran out of antidotes.

The thing that got me a few times at first was when he went to lay an egg. I run up in Sword mode on my SA thinking "sweet: special attack time--" and then he lays a poison bomb instead with little time to escape. I learned not to do that pretty quickly. :lol

Finally took him down but it took almost the full 50 mins. I lost sight of him a few times too because BOTH paintballs eventually wore off.

Gigginox armor looks pretty cool, but I don't think I'd have the guts to kill him half a dozen more times.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Didnt see this posted.

1sjs6c.jpg

mip56f.jpg

More here.

Pretty big advertising campaign indeed.

Luigiv

Kyuuketsu_Night said:
Also, is there anyway to not get dizzy when it flashes its light?
A bit late, but blocking, superman dive and very, very well timed rolls should do the trick (They did with Gyceros).

Anyway, Tri is out in Australia today!!! Shall pick my pre-order this afternoon :D.

mclem

So, to list my current major annoyance: is it possible to sheathe your swordnshield while holding a torch? I seem to be only able to do it by extinguishing the torch first, *then* sheathing the weapon, *then* relighting the torch, which is a lot fiddlier.

CC1 setup in my case; I'm hitting y three times to get the current effect.

Teknoman

Luigiv said:
A bit late, but blocking, superman dive and very, very well timed rolls should do the trick (They did with Gyceros).

Anyway, Tri is out in Australia today!!! Shall pick my pre-order this afternoon :D.

Or you can just turn the opposite direction. It should only blind if you're facing it.

blackflag

Forgive me if this has been answered but how do I unlock 2 star online quests? I already beat all of the 1 star quests and nothing is left. Is it level based and I have to grind?. Love the game btw.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the games guys. But i now completed all 1 star quests? What do i need to do to get acces to rank 2 quests?

Boney

Banned
Ok so I just killed my first Lagiacrus. Man, what an intense battle, neither of us wanted to give in at first, but I kept on pushing and over did it. I'm one Lagiacrus tail short of my new sword though.

I've been meaning to jump online, but SP's got me hooked. What's the server again? and some little steps for the online initiation would be nice.

dsister44

made some awesome online progress today, did 7 2* quests and went up 3 HR. all I have to do is hunt rathian and i should be onto to 3*. Does 3* have an urgent quest and if so what is it?

Ridley327

I think I'll be online for about an hour or so, starting around 10 PM CST. I gotta get my South Park on before slaving away at my remaining 1-star missions so I can get my urgent Barroth to show up. Hope you guys like Crystal Bones and Red Coral!

L00P

So all the "boss" monsters will become normal enemies later in the game? 'Cuz that's fucking awesome. I dream of the day my character's all mighty and powerful, kicking the shit out of Qurupeco like it was nothing. Seriously, that thing's an asshole.

Also is there any way to go to the desert or swamp without going through quests? I must know.

Ridley327

L00P said:
So all the "boss" monsters will become normal enemies later in the game? 'Cuz that's fucking awesome. I dream of the day my character's all mighty and powerful, kicking the shit out of Qurupeco like it was nothing. Seriously, that thing's an asshole.

Also is there any way to go to the desert or swamp without going through quests? I must know.

Once you unlock 4-star quests offline, you get two quests that are basically free-roaming in those areas. In order to leave, you'll have to turn in a Paw Pass that you get after a few minutes of being there. They also have roaming wyvern in them, so it's a chance to get more mats or to make lots of money from the Free Hunt bonuses.

dsister44

L00P said:

believe me, after hours of flailing and getting my kissed kicked by great jaggis it now feels amazing to absoloutely slaughter one in under 4 mins. I imagine it'll be the same for you and qurupeco

I hate the fact that people are so afraid of Uragaan. They come in, see the quest and leave or if they are ballsy enough, try to put up their own like mine aint there.

*sigh* even when we do finally go on a quest my teammates almost always lose it for us. Going after the tail its pretty easy to not get hit for the early part of the fight, and after that its only a little tougher. JUST AVOID THE HEAD. attack its butt/belly and roll away! circle circle circle! People dont seem to get that.

Tenbatsu

ramus said:
Care to provide a link? Sounds quite useful.
http://www.geocities.jp/masax_mh/mh3/

Kyuuketsu_Night said:
Also, is there anyway to not get dizzy when it flashes its light?
Equip the armor skill 'Negate Stun'

mclem said:
So, to list my current major annoyance: is it possible to sheathe your swordnshield while holding a torch? I seem to be only able to do it by extinguishing the torch first, *then* sheathing the weapon, *then* relighting the torch, which is a lot fiddlier.

CC1 setup in my case; I'm hitting y three times to get the current effect.
Should be able to, but I am not familiar with CC1. For wiimote I just press shealth with torch on.

Why the fuck wouldn't Barroth die sooner?! Last sliver of life. No whetstones. No potions. Last fucking attempt. SOMEHOW he died. Right as my sharpness decreased. And now I wear that fucker's head as a crown upon my shoulders. I'm coming for the rest of you asshole.

oracrest

Dammit, I left town for a few days, and all I wanna do is be home slaying some more monsters!!

The rathian is fun to fight, they added a lot of good new moves for him. It almost seems worth it to have him pin you down so your team can wail on him for a bit.

Poyunch

Man I suck fighting Barroth online. He's relatively easy on offline but online, even with four players, I'm suck. I know that the difficulty is increased due to the number of players online but still you'd think it would be easier with the other players.

Pancho

Qurupancho
So can anyone explain to me the Dragon element on armors? What does it exactly protect against? Every attack that dragons do?

L00P

Ridley327 said:
Once you unlock 4-star quests offline, you get two quests that are basically free-roaming in those areas. In order to leave, you'll have to turn in a Paw Pass that you get after a few minutes of being there. They also have roaming wyvern in them, so it's a chance to get more mats or to make lots of money from the Free Hunt bonuses.

Ah, I see. I guess my only option right now is to redo quests. Thanks for the info!

d0c_zaius

EmCeeGramr said:
barroth is a cheating motherfucker and he clearly payed off those ratheoolpslosoo-the anklyosaurs

I had a quest where we capped a Baroth only to have one of those ratheloolposdos charge and kill him before we could tranq it

Poyunch

d0c_zaius said:
I had a quest where we capped a Baroth only to have one of those ratheloolposdos charge and kill him before we could tranq it
Although not as cool one of those Rhenoplos tackled and knocked down a Barroth I was fighting offline. It was pretty funny to see.

Gamer @ Heart said:
PRO TIP FOR FIGHTING GOBUL:

First and foremost: FISH THAT SUCKA OUT. I forget the area number, but it almost always starts in the half land/pond area in the middle of the map. Do not jump into the water. Instead, go to the log where you can fish and use a frog. No other fish will eat a frog so dont worry. You will soon see gobul coming up to the surface. Don't freak out and do not press anything. Eventually he will bite it and the camera will switch positions and he will plop out of the water and flail on land for a very long period of time.

Use this precious time to knock the hell out of its lantern or some free hits on the tail.

To dodge the lantern flash, you have to carefully time an underwater dash with b, or simply block it. You can jump/evade it to if you get the timing right.

Fast weapons are preferable so use them when you can. Lightning is its weakness.

Also, bring sonic bombs which can stun it for a few seconds when its under the seabed giving you some free hits. Do not waste them when he is in rage mode however as they will not work. You can tell he is in rage mode by the spikes on his back sticking out, or his eyes glowing.

Excellent advice. I will put it to the test tomorrow :D

Coxswain

Man, best random hunt ever. I start up a Rathian & Rathalos quest online with some random guys who turn out to be awesome, and have Rathalos on the ropes inside of ten minutes, and I even get a goddamn Plate from Rathalos's tail, and Rathian is on her last frenzy, maybe a minute or so from dy-Connection Error. Your character will be returned to your pre-quest status.

Monster Hunterrrrrrrrrrrr! (fist shake)

Archon

Had a good time playing with a couple GAF members about an hour ago (as Amelie)...then it seems my LinkSys router's wireless got funky and I disconnected. It's been acting up for the last month, argh. Sorry guys!

Hope to be back on in a bit depending. Perhaps it's time to invest in a new router.

Teknoman

I've had this icon for awhile online...it looks sort of like a horn or fang sitting on top of something with 3 yellow triangles above it. Its flashing...but i'm not sure what that means.

d0c_zaius

Teknoman said:
I've had this icon for awhile online...it looks sort of like a horn or fang sitting on top of something with 3 yellow triangles above it. Its flashing...but i'm not sure what that means.

haha Ive answered this a bunch. its the icon to go talk to the cat crafter guy in the city for art/crafts

Alex

...Still on that plate, still in our shitty alloy gear but we at least stopped to upgrade weapons, well within the tier at least. Not touching Urgent or going forward until I get my goddamn plate! I've got the Assault Axe+ at the moment, the two of us can kill a Rathian in 9 minutes now, it's down to a fucking science, it just gets slaughtered.

In what, six years of MH playing this is the most dominance I've ever had over one monster and it makes me so, so sad.

Teknoman

d0c_zaius said:
haha Ive answered this a bunch. its the icon to go talk to the cat crafter guy in the city for art/crafts

Just found that out right before you posted :lol Thanks though. Oh sitting in the usual meeting place, but this time City3. Ashism is the leader, but I think he's out on a quest with someone else atm, so i'm waiting around.

Tenbatsu

Pancho said:
So can anyone explain to me the Dragon element on armors? What does it exactly protect against? Every attack that dragons do?
Protect against monster's attack that have dragon elemental.

Alex said:
...Still on that plate, still in our shitty alloy gear but we at least stopped to upgrade weapons, well within the tier at least. Not touching Urgent or going forward until I get my goddamn plate! I've got the Assault Axe+ at the moment, the two of us can kill a Rathian in 9 minutes now, it's down to a fucking science, it just gets slaughtered.

In what, six years of MH playing this is the most dominance I've ever had over one monster and it makes me so, so sad.

Not even over Kut Ku? damn

Blargh! I had both a great night and a terrible night on the online hunting circuit. It started out great. I met up with (Monster Hunter handles) Amalie and Jay and trapped the Great Jaggie and finished both sub quests. But after that I got destroyed by the Royal Ludroth not once, but twice. Could not manage to trap the sucker.

Second time went after it with a fella called Alex or Alec who used the gun. If you're a gaffer, you sent me (Khory) a friend request and I accepted it but it didn't register you on my list and you already left the room before I could message you. Sorry about that.

As for the Royal Ludroth, curse you! I will have my revenge!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Some Giginoxx advice. Carry an antidote horn. Actually in general you should carry a horn or two to help your party out, but an antidote horn is really great for Gigi cause it casts on the whole party.

Bison11

FINALLY got the last piece to make my Ludroth armor. Now I just have to grind away to get up to HR 9 so I can do the urgent quest and then on to 2*

Top Bottom