• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Leezard

botticus said:
You tilt the remote in combination with A for some attacks, and you can optionally flick the remote to attack or flick the nunchuk (which I prefer) to carve/gather/etc. I think that's the extent of the motion control.
Thanks, that doesn't sound bad, really. I'll see if I can find MH3 in one of the local stores.

edit: thanks to Databot as well. Let's hope one of my local stores has it now. :lol

DataBot

Leezard said:
How is the control scheme with Remote + Nunchuk? Does it involve a lot of waggle? The classic controller pro bundle is hard to come by in my town. I might order it though.

Its fine no problems at all you dont have to use it much, i turned off waggle draw and waggle attack its pretty annoying.

For some special attacks you tilt it right or left or up and push A or - , i find it a pretty rewarding control scheme if you gotten used it it all comes naturally and you are like woot that was just awesome .

For example tilt right or left and - With LS = Dodge Attack .
With sword and shield tilt right and A = Shield Bash which can stun your enemy.

Lenardo

Banned
botticus said:
You tilt the remote in combination with A for some attacks, and you can optionally flick the remote to attack or flick the nunchuk (which I prefer) to carve/gather/etc. I think that's the extent of the motion control.

that is pretty much it, i got the cc pro pack and have yet to plug it in, of course i am going MUCH slower than you guys(competition with son -who just restarted playing super mario galaxy -& wow(i am the healer in my guild)- i haven't made it out of the village yet, just about to start the 2* quests.

botticus

Looks like they put up new event quests last night so I'll be doing some Great Jaggi hunting tonight.

Don't think I'll be HR9+ for a long while, so the other one will have to wait till next time.

JudgeN

Well beat down Lagiacrus, have to say he is quite weak on land, but once he gets into the water he becomes somewhat of a pain in the ass, just like every other water monster.

Now who I really disappointed in was Rathalos, normally a rough battle for me on PSP but this version he seems to be much less aggressive (or should I say he's not as cheap due to Fireball blast radius being greatly decreased), time to farm this fucker and start online adventure.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Teknoman said:
I guess you could try some two sided tape, then again not sure how well that would hold up for long term use.

My man needs some velcro pads.
140iw4o.jpg

Alex

dsister44 said:
any advice for rathian runs would be much appreciated. It's the only quest I have left to do before i can get the 2* urgent

Hm, a lot of it is just total pattern memorization and weapon mastery but some good basic tips would be to:

1.) Get the tail off of it ASAP. The tail on the Rathian is a huge deal, they extended the length of it in Tri and some of it's more powerful and obnoxious attacks come from it. It's fairly easy to cut off and needs to come off even if it means using traps or flash bombs in order to get some free hits at it while you learn.

2.) Learn to love Unsheathe bonuses. It's a very erratic monster and your disposition will change a lot from turn to turn. Avoid walking around holding your weapon, wasting stamina on rolls to close distance etc and just try to learn it's basic moves, stay to it's side, and close in for a good unsheathe attack when it pops fire attacks, between spins, etc.

3.) Learn to work around wind. The Rathian has a lot of wind production from flight and landings, learning the moves that are able to provide enough weight to push through it and use them on landings or other vulnerable moments helps. For example, I mostly use a Switch Axe lately, and when the Rathian starts to plop down, I go into Sword Mode and put a charge attack right where it's landing. Free hits, yay.

4.) Watch out for the enrage. In addition to the general damage hike, the new Wyvern Fire super and the triple charge are what you need to learn to read for mostly. The Enrage on the Rathian is signaled by a consistent mouth full of fire.

5.) When learning, ignore dung, bring flash. If you're working in a pair online, it's better to always have a few flash bombs with you in case of a pin. (rather in general for emergencies) It's easier, IMO, to make them, they won't cause the Rath to leave what might be a good area for you and free hits, yay.

6.) We usually set up and wait in area 1 towards the start. The Rathian lovvves Aptonoth (the herbivores), they make excellent bait, so don't kill or scare them off. If he comes crashing down to eat one it can get you a few free hits

7.) This may or may not happen to you, but for trapping, the Rathian doesn't always limp when hurt. It may just segue to it's Last Stand mode while in it's nest. However, you can tell if it 's greatly weakened to trap as the Jaggi in the area tend to sense her weakness and start taking swings at her.

8.) Learn to side step often. The Rathian isn't always going to give you great attack windows. Sometimes you'll just need to break out the heroics. Going for the head or neck enough to proc a stagger and placing a side step to get you back out of the way if you can't is a good basic attack plan for when it's not enraged.

Gino

JudgeN said:
Well beat down Lagiacrus, have to say he is quite weak on land, but once he gets into the water he becomes somewhat of a pain in the ass, just like every other water monster.

Now who I really disappointed in was Rathalos, normally a rough battle for me on PSP but this version he seems to be much less aggressive (or should I say he's not as cheap due to Fireball blast radius being greatly decreased), time to farm this fucker and start online adventure.

That sounds like an improvement to me... Then again this is my first MH game.

ShinNL

It finally arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

monstahuntaarriva.jpg

What's with the PAL manual not fitting in the disc box though...? Am I supposed to just dump my manual somewhere? :/

I'm gonna play some catch up now, grrrr

Sorry, gonna put the online-tool a bit on hold for now >.<

!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna go CC2, read some nasty penalties for using CC1.

Wii Speak is sooo tiny :D (brilliant how it fits on top of the sensor bar)

Despite me updating the later on, doesn't mean I'll still manage the online thread. So PAL GAF Hunters, write your ID there!

Luigiv, did you get yours yet? If yes, can you join with PAL people?

Man... missing the launch sucks but I'm happy now.

/spasm

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Soneet, is the online app not functioning right now? It seems like the image just doesn't come through.

Grats on getting the game!

Nimyh

Banned
Soneet said:
What's with the PAL manual not fitting in the disc box though...? Am I supposed to just dump my manual somewhere? :/
If it's anything like the CCPro bundle, it's just the multilingual one that doesn't fit, the english one does. At least they didn't shove two manuals in the disc box and hurt the cover like they do sometimes in Canada.

ACCURATE DEPICTION OF REAL WORLD EVENTS (AS THEY REALLY OCCURRED):

Me: Oh, perhaps I shall gather fine resources on this harvesting mission in the desert, then go back to bench pressing cars and winning Nobel Prizes. I am equipped lightly and have taken no preparations for combat (should a foul Quropeco or Barroth appear), as I merely require a few small pittances before I take my leave. Then I shall finish my award-winning novel.

Big Dumb Rathian: HURP I'M BIG AND DUMB AND STUPID AND STINKY AND UGLY

Me: Oh my! How unexpected. I am still totally calm, however. Perhaps I shall recite mathematical theorems (I know those) to convince this beastie of how smart and handsome I am.

Asshole Rathian: ROAR POOT I'M A BIG DOO-DOO HEAD AND I'M SHOOTING FIRE

Me: How uncouth. Though entirely unprepared, with nary a Cha-Cha to help, I will give this wyrm a few buffets with my... oh, I have that new shield and sword equipped and not my switch axe. Well, I'll stop and run away after a few hits.

Dick-gulping Rathian: DERF MY ATTACK PATTERNS ARE DECEPTIVELY SIMPLE

Me: Hark, this is easier than expected. Let's see how far this road can take me. There is no great reward for this quest, after all. I possess less than a handful of potions, and no COOL DRINKS in case it runs into a heated area. LAY ON!

*like thirty minutes later*

Lady Rathian Fuckwad: URGH MY LEFT WING IS TORN AND I'M PANTING A LITTLE AND NOT ATTACKING AS FAST

Me: holy fuck i might actually beat this t *fireball to face, faints for third time* fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckgoddamnfuuuuuuuuck

of course i try to find it again (this time actually prepared) and it never shows up, so i try to lure it out during the quropeco capture quest but there's so little room in the island areas that it actually beats me far worse than when i was unprepared in the desert

ShinNL

Hawkian said:
Soneet, is the online app not functioning right now? It seems like the image just doesn't come through.

Grats on getting the game!
Woops, I changed the code for testing purposes. I'll change it back for now and hop back to the game.

(Apparantly GAF doesn't allow images do have and ? or & in the URL name, but does allow it to be PHP files. Very weird. Already found a solution for it though)

Edit: Test
I am online now! Send me a message in-game!

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.
Now the image should always be refreshed every 2 minutes even without visiting my webpage.

dsister44

wow thats some awesome advice dude :D
i'll be sure to put that to use tonight. Not sure which wepaon im gunna use. I'm a switch axe/sword and shield user. switch axe is awesome for the powered sword attack but my new blade puts monsters to sleep which is really useful. ( free hits yayyyy)

faust, selanae, Oz, if your reading this im warning you now. Once that bad boy is asleep im spamming bombs so either place your own or get the hell out of there

Soneet said:
It finally arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wooo, come join the ever growing ranks of MHTri PAL gaf

Sup, Znarf here. Earlier this day I was finally able to play stable online for quite a few hours and damn it was a blast!

In game kb is no match compared to the almighty usb kb.

Anyway, just wanna give a shout to Thorlis, DRock, Daniel, Marklar, if you guys are here, I had fun doing the 15 min mission and capturing Peco and Rath in one quest lol. Less than 10 minutes left to capture Peco cos of Rath hahahaha. HR9 now lol!

Too bad I didn't get to finish off barroth and play with Shiki since my net decided to crap up again.

Yo Sprsk, sorry about giving you a headache a few days ago by jumping to different cities due to my connection.

Anyway, gotta go back to work.

edit: just re-checked my hr and corrected 9 to 8 lol

Pietepiet

I'm getting whooped hard by Barroth. It's a bitch to hit him with Switchaxe. I keep bouncing off his back because of the huge swing. Maybe I should try it with SnS instead?

ravien56 said:
Fuck Gobul. He's more worse than Barrot.
This is true. I killed Barroth my first go in around 30 mins and after that I was fighting stupid fat Gobul. 15 minutes in and it felt like forever and I had a headache so I quit.

Eteric Rice

Gobul whooped my ass as well. Going to try getting all of Ludroth's armor before fighting him again. I hear his armor helps with underwater fights.

gotee12

Pietepiet said:
I'm getting whooped hard by Barroth. It's a bitch to hit him with Switchaxe. I keep bouncing off his back because of the huge swing. Maybe I should try it with SnS instead?
I keep it in sword form and wail on his tail until it comes off. Then I focus on his legs. Take plenty of whetstones though...

Repeled water lizard in 12mins:lol I was like
"oi come back here I want you dead!"
I badly want to unlock volcano as I need tonnes of rare scarabs and 4 ores to upgrade a whole tonne of gear/make full lizard armour.

Hey all. Gonna head online in a bit. HR9+ hunters wanted. Looking at a few rathian runs and random 2* questing.
Interested parties look for Selenae, recruiting, wisdom 1, gate 40. (u around kozy? faust?)

selig

Banned
i know it has been talked about, but i have to ascertain this: so, using parts of different sets of armor is...a bad idea, eh? If so, that´s really the only major complaint I have about MH3. It´d be a lot more fun if you could combine everything however you want, always resulting in different skills and bonus-points and whatever. The Ludroth-chest armor looked really cool in combination with that classic medieval armor´s head and leg-part :/

Tenbatsu

ravien56 said:
Fuck Gobul. He's more worse than Barrot.
This is weird, it is one of the easiest monster for me.

Btw the Jaggi Mask event quest is now up. Grabs yours before they pull it down.

selig said:
i know it has been talked about, but i have to ascertain this: so, using parts of different sets of armor is...a bad idea, eh? If so, that´s really the only major complaint I have about MH3. It´d be a lot more fun if you could combine everything however you want, always resulting in different skills and bonus-points and whatever. The Ludroth-chest armor looked really cool in combination with that classic medieval armor´s head and leg-part :/
If you never mix and match your armor in MH3, you are playing it wrong. The best improvement for MH3 is the flexibility in the armor mixing, nothing else comes close.

selig said:

According to Tenbatsu its a great idea now in MH3.

In previous MH it didn't work out so well imo.

And given that they have become generous with latent skill points for a piece of armor i can see this working.

Ridley327

I honestly didn't have too many problems with Gobul offline, despite using the absolute wrong strategy on him. I still need to get used to blocking attacks underwater instead of dodging them; you end up in far more valuable positions to continuously attack and you spend less time swimming aimlessly. Gobul is a big guy, so hitting him isn't much of an issue.

Valcrist

Fistwell said:
Hey all. Gonna head online in a bit. HR9+ hunters wanted. Looking at a few rathian runs and random 2* questing.
Interested parties look for Selenae, recruiting, wisdom 1, gate 40. (u around kozy? faust?)

im at hr8 grinding to 9, but im pretty much done with offline. I'll try to join if i hit 9 soon enough

Tenbatsu said:
Yeah, awesome helmet too. Fate +10:D

Kaijima: No condition.

Okay so we did that quest last night.

The Jaggi mask populated at the blacksmith but I still don't have all the mats for it. Hopefully I can grind out the rest tonight then.

:)

Just played the online mode for about three and a half hour straight. I stayed in the same city for the whole time and played with the same guy (DECAN I LOVE YOU) and two other occasionally changing hunters. We worked so well as a team together that we were eventually overconfident enough to kill the Barroth three times in a row when we were actually supposed to capture him. That was very unfortunate. :lol

JRPereira

I seriously can't wait til I can get my HR up to at least 30 so I can witness a deviljho firsthand. Looks like an amazingly bad-ass battle.

I've found that I completely hate fighting gobuls as I always managed to get sucked in while drinking a potion or reloading my gun.

---------

I've never bothered to find out, but was it ever possible to fight at least an extended battle until the quest timer ran out vs lagi (or even the psp tigrex fight at the beginning)?

Thinking about picking this up today...

How is the single player, and is it easy to jump into online games with randoms? Are randoms of the XBL/PS3 variety (75% dicks)

Is a keyboard at the very least necessary to communicate?

Oxx

I've been playing about 4 or 5 hours now and so much of this thread still reads like a foreign language to me.

But I'm fumbling through. Probably better to learn by doing (and failing) than obsess over if I'm doing things optimally.

With the Barroth shoulders and the Rhenoplos waist piece... I look like some kind of gundam in human form or power ranger... Time to farm for upgrades.

JRPereira

sammy said:
HR15 and I still haven't seen the Rathian's new moves : /

I found out the hard way that there's now an instant flash kick.

Also some flying dives I don't remember from the earlier games.

The charging attack is a bit more graceful now.

Ridley327

AHappyPanda said:
Thinking about picking this up today...

How is the single player, and is it easy to jump into online games with randoms? Are randoms of the XBL/PS3 variety (75% dicks)

Is a keyboard at the very least necessary to communicate?

-Single player is a very big improvement over other games in the series thanks to a far more gentler difficulty curve and better tutorials to teach you how the various gameplay aspects work. It's also indispensible for online since you stand to make a lot of money and resources through it and that will all carry over into the real meat of the game, so to speak.

-Randoms haven't been too bad as far as conduct, but there's a lot of people who really don't know how to play the game right, so that can lead to frustration. Stick with us and you'll be fine. :D

-I'd definitely get a keyboard if I were you.

dsister44

Fistwell said:

im heading on now

Nimyh

Banned
Played my first online game just today (had some issues before) - crazy fun. I might give GAF-town a visit, does anyone feel like playing with a HR2 over the weekend? :lol

Hiltz

botticus said:
Do you have the first charm you received equipped? That can autoblock some attacks.

Cool, I didn't understand why that happend but it sure came in handy! :D

Yeah and I think the armor set I'm using also offers auto block.

I really want to get the Barroth Armor set. It looks so bad ass.

Top Bottom