• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Gathered the materials for the Jaggie Mask after 1.5 event quest runs, but I'm done with goofy looking amour. I wish its defense wouldn't be so meager, too. :I

demonkaze

Just finished the urgent for 3* offline and I have to say, i've fallen in love with hammer once again. Managed to kill Gobul on my first try :D

Haunted

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Seriously?

Edit: FUCK. I HATE YOU HAUNTED.
Thank god that's finally over. I used up all my whetstones... :lol
:lol

next up on the list of confusing things: Red Coral Stones are not actually mined, but searched on the ground. :p

botticus

Haunted said:

next up on the list of confusing things: Red Coral Stones are not actually mined, but searched on the ground. :p
And later, Crystal Bones are not searched for like Bones, Monster Bones, Mystery Bones and Golden Bones, but are mined.

I just came across a guy with ridiculously high HR:

biu1tlkfqxa9ncp00.jpg

I've never seen anyone even close to such a high level. I wonder if he just played...a lot...or if there is more to it? :I

AndyH

Neo Member
slaughterking said:

I've never seen anyone even close to such a high level. I wonder if he just played...a lot...or if there is more to it? :I

Probably converted his Japanese save data. Curious as to what Capcom think of it, if anything at all.

Haunted

botticus said:
And later, Crystal Bones are not searched for like Bones, Monster Bones, Mystery Bones and Golden Bones, but are mined.
I think Golden Bones are mined for as well, actually. :p

Haunted said:

I was even more confused because I had one so I guess I stunned one by accident. Part of the reason I kept killing them. :lol It seems they don't even make a strategy guide to keep this stuff straight either which sucks. It's frustrating at times how they're just like go find this stuff you've never heard of! Especially when it's a new monster you haven't heard of.

Speaking of "plate", if you guys need a Rathian Plate, go offline and finish it's capture quest.

Now, do we have any tips for Rath Talon? I need one and no luck at all... :/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sammy Samusu said:
Speaking of "plate", if you guys need a Rathian Plate, go offline and finish it's capture quest.

Is that a 4-star quest or what?

I need a Flame Sac too. And I just accidentally clicked city instead of village, so... anybody want to hunt something? :lol

I am online now! Send me a message in-game!

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

I really want to get this game soon; it's just a matter of when. But I have no interest in the Wii Speak accessory; I want to play with people while chatting on XBox Live in the background. I already know a couple of people who do the same (we play Brawl and Mario Kart Wii that way too), but it would be nice if I could play with more people that way. I don't suppose anybody here does it?

Haunted

Sammy Samusu said:

Oh, interesting! I still need a 1 plate for the chest piece.

To increase your chances at a Talon you have to hurt the wings, iirc.

Tenbatsu

slaughterking said:

biu1tlkfqxa9ncp00.jpg

Can't beat that japanese guy with HR999 :p

forrest

formerly nacire
Soka said:
This game was very, very easy for me up until Barroth. That son.of.a.bitch. keeps killing me. Finally resorted to upgrading from my Hunter's level-armor to the Ludroth set. Haven't tested yet, but I think it should help. Also got my hammer as upgraded as it can go until I kill Gobul.

Gonna fuck Barroth up soon. I can feel it!

I felt this iteration of MH has been much easier so far as well. I have played a lot of MH in the past so maybe I'm just better now that I used to be. Not to mention using a real controller is 100x better than the psp controls. Either way, I beat every monster without fainting up until the Lagiacrus fight in Flooded Forest. The tight zones got the best of me and he sent me back to camp twice before I beat him. Next to get me was the Barioth, I exhausted all of my items and all of the subquest items before failing due to time expiration. I did manage to get my tail from his ass and forge my Ravager Blade!

This is all strictly offline as I've been playing on the Dolphin emulator. I saw some awesome shots of the game running at 1080 and decided to start my single player campaign on Dolphin. I've been messing around with screenshots and videos and have even started a youtube channel to post some videos.

I'm getting ready to start hopping online though to do some events and start upping my HR. Hope to see you guys online soon!

Here is a screen grab of my character.

Hawkian said:
Is that a 4-star quest or what?

I am online now! Send me a message in-game!
Yep, Quest 4-Star.

I'm going online, I need some Jumbo Pearls from this new R. Ludroth Event.

EDIT: Already full, eh? :(

Haunted said:
Oh, interesting! I still need a 1 plate for the chest piece.

To increase your chances at a Talon you have to hurt the wings, iirc.
Thank you, I always break it's wings, head and tail, but no luck at all...

Haunted

Sammy Samusu said:
Yep, Quest 4-Star.

I'm going online, I need some Jumbo Pearls from this new R. Ludroth Event.

EDIT: Already full, eh? :(

Thank you, I always break it's wings, head and tail, but no luck at all...
According to the wiki talons have a 70% drop rate as a quest reward if you do the subquest to break the wings. Not sure in which one of the four basic Rathian hunts (offline hunt, offline capture, online hunt, online capture) this is a subquest, though.

Tenbatsu

nacire said:
This is all strictly offline as I've been playing on the Dolphin emulator. I saw some awesome shots of the game running at 1080 and decided to start my single player campaign on Dolphin. I've been messing around with screenshots and videos and have even started a youtube channel to post some videos.
The bloom makes the game looks more 'natural'. Looks weird without it.

john tv

nacire said:
I felt this iteration of MH has been much easier so far as well. I have played a lot of MH in the past so maybe I'm just better now that I used to be. Not to mention using a real controller is 100x better than the psp controls. Either way, I beat every monster without fainting up until the Lagiacrus fight in Flooded Forest. The tight zones got the best of me and he sent me back to camp twice before I beat him. Next to get me was the Barioth, I exhausted all of my items and all of the subquest items before failing due to time expiration. I did manage to get my tail from his ass and forge my Ravager Blade!

I'm getting ready to start hopping online though to do some events and start upping my HR. Hope to see you guys online soon!

Here is a screen grab of my character.
The game is way easier offline than it is online -- that might be part of it. Offline is designed for beginners, basically -- every monster online is a good deal stronger than its offline iteration (as far as I've experienced so far, anyway).

Owzers

Just beat Lagi with a group 3 times........i don't do well underwater but my paralyze sword/shield helped finish it off when it came onto land.

forrest

formerly nacire
Tenbatsu said:
The bloom makes the game looks more 'natural'. Looks weird without it.

I actually like the look with the bloom, but it seems severely overstated when running the emulator. The blur around the objects seems a little overkill at times and anything remotely bright completely whites out. So I just choose to leave it off. Here is a shot at night with the bloom on though. It reminds me more of the psp version with it off now that I think about it.

Anyone know if they are working on another MH for the pc and if it will actually release in the west?

I guess that isn't the best example. I'll grab some screens with bloom during a daytime hunt.

windfish said:
:D too bad i wasn't there!
Where you been holmes? Been playing online with randoms, but it aint the same. My goal today was to start killing new shit in the 3* list. I didnt find any 18+ group, so stuck with some guys finishing up the 2*s. Took forever, but we beat lagi, the last guy finally gets to 18, and then... everyone just calls it a day. What the shit guys, just getting warmed up here!
Anyways, need a break too. I'll be online later. Any 18+ EU players welcome (look for selenae).

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Maybe I'm stupid, but how do you add monsters to your monsters list? I'm all confused about the pointing or whatever stuff.
Go to hunter notes, hold the trigger, point at shit, press A, drag to your book icon thingy, release A, drop shit. A breeze!! :)

selig

Banned
**** you, Gobul, finally beat him in singleplayer. Used up 10 mega-potions and 10 normal potions, then he had me at half empty health. Showdown in the water cave...and I beat him. Feels so good.

And I finally could upgrade my sword and shield to the Azu Dahaki, or whatever its name is. :D

Owzers

selig said:
**** you, Gobul, finally beat him in singleplayer. Used up 10 mega-potions and 10 normal potions, then he had me at half empty health. Showdown in the water cave...and I beat him. Feels so good.

And I finally could upgrade my sword and shield to the Azu Dahaki, or whatever its name is. :D

I loveeeeeee that sword/shield.

Do they not give you a fishing pole on the fishing quest?

Fistwell said:
Go to hunter notes, hold the trigger, point at shit, press A, drag to your book icon thingy, release A, drop shit. A breeze!! :)

I swear the last time I did that it didn't work. O well, I guess I messed something up since it's ok now.

selig

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
I loveeeeeee that sword/shield.

Havent tried it, yet, just did the upgrade, then quit. Battery was almost gone :lol Im kind of having 2 different sns-sets now. Started doing that when I realized that it´d take quite some time until I could gather all the Gobul-parts. So my alternative is the assassin sword, or whatever its english name is. That one also has a cool upgrade.

Btw., it feels kind of awesome playing as a sns-user on the "higher" level quests, where you hardly meet sns-users anymore. Dont underestimte me, fellow hunters, I dont need these huge, bulky weapons to kill my monsters :D

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Do they not give you a fishing pole on the fishing quest?

You just need the bait. fishing rod appears automatically.

selig said:
Havent tried it, yet, just did the upgrade, then quit. Battery was almost gone :lol Im kind of having 2 different sns-sets now. Started doing that when I realized that it´d take quite some time until I could gather all the Gobul-parts. So my alternative is the assassin sword, or whatever its english name is. That one also has a cool upgrade.

Btw., it feels kind of awesome playing as a sns-user on the "higher" level quests, where you hardly meet sns-users anymore. Dont underestimte me, fellow hunters, I dont need these huge, bulky weapons to kill my monsters :D

You just need the bait. fishing rod appears automatically.

Hmm, can't find the fishing spot they talk about in area 10 then.

Edit: Found it.

sillymonkey321 said:
It's to the very right where the land meets the water.

Ya, I stupidly figured you had to be on land but you're actually like knee deep in water.

Edit: I need three goldenfish but there was only one there. And I'm down to one worm. :/ Game is frustrating at times.

Ridley327

You can make a lure that specifically attracts Goldenfish by combining a Snakebee Larva (found in the beehives) and a Firefly (found at nearly every insect gather spot). Once you cast the Goldenfish Bait, the only fish that will be in the spot are Goldenfish.

forrest

formerly nacire
Question for you guys playing online. What is the preferred method of communication? Does the wii-speak work well? Wal-Mart and Target have them on clearance for 20.00 bucks and they have enough I could probably pick one up in a week for 15. As far as keyboards go, do any usb keyboards work?

selig

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, I stupidly figured you had to be on land but you're actually like knee deep in water.

Edit: I need three goldenfish but there was only one there. And I'm down to one worm. :/ Game is frustrating at times.

You can use worms for golden fish, too. Just keep fishing, they´ll appear eventually. Also, near the area´s entrance is a spot on the right (if you´re entering from south) where you can get infinite worms.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

If I remember correctly, near the fishing spot (a bit more in-land though) there is a log on the side. Near that log you can dig a bit and find a spot that gives you tons of worms. I don't remember exactly what the spot looks like, but I seem to remember there being a log laying there.

EDIT: I found the worms on accident, and figured out how to fish on accident too. Was just running around and saw the icon pop up and was like "oh... what's this?" and bam... started fishing. I at first thought I needed a rod too, until that point.

Owzers

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How do you guys figure most of this out? Just by accident?

I disliked this part....it was starting out in the game and this quest that made me go " meh to you monster hunter" I still haven't done the goldenfish quest. I didn't want to play this game with a guide open on my laptop but here i am looking up weapons and items 5x as much as i did in demon's souls because monster hunter tri is 5x as vague.

Fuck Lagiacrus. I somehow managed to capture him on my first try, but I'm really not a big fan of the underwater fighting, even though I have to admit that it generally works really well. It's just that many times I feel I just can't properly dodge some attacks. I'm glad the volcano area does not feature any water... :lol

Ridley327 said:
You can make a lure that specifically attracts Goldenfish by combining a Snakebee Larva (found in the beehives) and a Firefly (found at nearly every insect gather spot). Once you cast the Goldenfish Bait, the only fish that will be in the spot are Goldenfish.

It's a firefly and not a flashbug right? Still haven't found any fireflies.

Edit: Can't combine so it can't be a flashbug.

sillymonkey321 said:
I disliked this part....it was starting out in the game and this quest that made me go " meh to you monster hunter" I still haven't done the goldenfish quest. I didn't want to play this game with a guide open on my laptop but here i am looking up weapons and items 5x as much as i did in demon's souls because monster hunter tri is 5x as vague.

Ya, it's frustrating at times how it gives you close to no help.

Nicktals

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Snakebee larvae + ...something...firefly, maybe? = goldenfish bait. All other fish disappear and like 20 goldenfish come swimming up.

Top Bottom